Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? (1942 Views)

"Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK / $ Billion:Nigeria has no presidential material ,sorry to say-- Musiwa / Inec Finally Has A Results Page On Its Site - No Presidential Results Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by walata44(m): 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2009
I have being thinking about this issue for a while. Why there is no debate between Yaradua and other opposition during the last presidential election? is there no such things in Nigeria constitution? if there is a debate btw the opposition, Nigerians can decides what is best for them.

Discuss
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by SamMilla1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 14, 2009
its simple. the president was already designated. debate or no debate, we all knew who was gonna win. why debate.

if we do debates in Nigeria, atleast better candidates will be winning elections.
All those things will come to an end soon though. we are working on it
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 14, 2009
Where were you when Olu Falae and Obasanjo were scheduled for a debate.
OBJ skillful and tactfully dodged/"maradona'd" the debate.
Our democracy has not reached that level yet. Maybe from 2011 things will start looking up.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by kosovo(m): 10:28pm On Feb 14, 2009
how can people who can't even campaign DEBATE?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by strangleyo: 11:08pm On Feb 14, 2009
Don't need one, nothing to debate.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 11:14pm On Feb 14, 2009
Lets start from the grass root even, why do we have debates amongst university student unions, local councillors etc

I think lagosians can take the lead, they are more civilised so they'll embrace the idea cheesy

It doesn't have to be in the constitution it just has to be agreed between the political parties
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Feb 15, 2009
A-town:

Where were you when Olu Falae and Obasanjo were scheduled for a debate.
OBJ skillful and tactfully dodged/"maradona'd" the debate.
Our democracy has not reached that level yet. Maybe from 2011 things will start looking up.

You really want to wait till 2011 to see if there will be a debate?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by strangleyo: 12:15am On Feb 15, 2009
There will be no debate. There never is in Nigerian society. He who is the "big man" in the society will have backing of the people regardless of what he has to say or do. It's African tradition, blind faith to the big chief (even if he's selling your ass to the whites for a few shiny trinkets), and all is well.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 9:05am On Feb 15, 2009
with the situation in nigerian politics, debate will do more harm than good.
take for instance, an obj who made it public that the elections was going to be a do or die affairs, sitting down to watch his candidate fail because of a question from a press man.
any media house that asked dua yara a suspicious question during a debate will be closed as soon as dua yara wins.
obj conducts debates in his ota farms and then brings the best candidate to us.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by ban1(m): 10:44am On Feb 15, 2009
grin. May be when d british come again
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You really want to wait till 2011 to see if there will be a debate?

Not expecting it to occur. Just hoping it might start from then on.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Muza(m): 1:46pm On Feb 15, 2009
Maybe when the military are draftin a new constitu,they will inculde debate inside,
cos thats they only way there can be debate.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2009
A-town:

Not expecting it to occur. Just hoping it might start from then on.

One thing I know for sure about Nigeria is that nothing happens magically. To see it happen tommorow, you have to start working to see that reality from today.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2009
There are no presidential debates in Nigeria because the people involved are clueless!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

There are no presidential debates in Nigeria because the people involved are clueless!

You believe those we have in leadership are all clueless? I beg to differ. I actually think and believe they know what they are doing. We subscribed to democratic rule but so far, they have engineered it in such a way that it is not that different from what we used to have in the country. The people still believe they are powerless and some go as far as to believe that is a good thing, Why? Because these men know how to play the NIGERIAN mind game.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You believe those we have in leadership are all clueless? I beg to differ.

I think pretty much everyone involved in leadership in Nigeria are clueless

There may be a tiny fraction or proportion who knows thier onions, hence the reason why you differ
! cheesy
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

I think pretty much everyone involved in leadership in Nigeria are clueless

There may be a tiny fraction or proportion who knows thier onions, hence the reason why you differ
! cheesy

Clueless about what? Many of them get into government and understand that if they play their cards right, they can make away with out money without ever being brought to answer for it. That trend has continued for decades. If we bring in the idea of debates, these same men will go as far as re-engineering the process so they get asked questions they have studied for. They are willing to put up a good show to have things continue as they are. Are they really clueless??
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 3:43pm On Feb 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Clueless about what? Many of them get into government and understand that if they play their cards right, they can make away with out money without ever being brought to answer for it. That trend has continued for decades. Are they really clueless??

Not clueless in that sense!

We are talking about presidential debates here where corruption wont be talked about but if permitted they will make so much sense
!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Not clueless in that sense!

We are talking about presidential debates here where corruption wont be talked about but if permitted they will make so much sense
!

Ok. Considering the way I feel about these Nigerian people, especially those who are willing to say and do anything to get into office, I believe a debate at this time should not be used to measure qualification YET. I say yet because I believe these men who are seasoned liars and manipulators will find a way to play that game as well.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2009
eyah, sometimes Kobojunkie seems to love her country. . . .wow!
That is well. . . .awesome sha
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Feb 15, 2009
HeatFusion:

eyah, sometimes Kobojunkie seems to love her country. . . .wow!
That is well. . . .awesome sha

HUH?? I didn't take you to be a member of the "I LOVE NIGERIA BUT YOU DON't CAUSE I SAY SO"/" I LOVE NIGERIA PASS YOU" clan!!!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 15, 2009
I think the media houses should be tasked on this one.
AIT, NTA or woteva network should take the bold step and announce that they'll be conducting Presidential debates and we'll take it from there.
OBJ escaped it the last time against falae because no one was really keen about it. We just wanted to get rid of the military. With the level of i.t and www in Nigeria now, an announcement like this for 2011 will definitely get people agitated. The contestants would find it difficult to "dodge"
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:40pm On Feb 15, 2009
seriously, NTA?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:06am On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

seriously, NTA?

y not
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14am On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

HUH?? I didn't take you to be a member of the "I LOVE NIGERIA BUT YOU DON't CAUSE I SAY SO"/" I LOVE NIGERIA PASS YOU" clan!!!
Now it's my turn to say "huh".

Let's just say my love for Nigeria does not blind my eyes to the problem(s) the country is suffering from.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 1:22am On Feb 16, 2009
The way I see it, NTA is it yet another government controlled institution. Why would I trust a resource controlled by those in government to put together a respectable presidential debate?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by chihums(m): 1:33am On Feb 16, 2009
i'm feeling sleepy house
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 1:35am On Feb 16, 2009
Presidential debates have been started - I remember there were a few done a couple of years ago, 2003 I think, during OBJ's reelection campaign.

I remember Jim Nwobodo giving some ridiculous answers - I think it was organised in conjunction with the NTA and shown live, but somehow, OBJ and some others stayed away from the event due to 'campaign constraints'.  I don't know if there were any attempted for the 2007 elections.

The fact is, (rigging excluded) the majority of the electorate do not even have electricity or TVs/radios to watch/listen to the debates. The politicians would rather go on rallies in each and every state to make themselves seen and to  connect with the electorate who would bring them into power.

Anyways, back to the issue of debates, It can be re-initiated and would be a good exercise to some extent.

I question how much of relevance it has in the Nigerian context, since all the politicians say the same thing: I will give you 'water, roads, light, security, jobs, etc'. There are very few ideological differences (if any) that can be used to distinguish candidates in Nigeria. Personalities dominate more than anything else.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:45pm On Feb 16, 2009
HeatFusion:

Now it's my turn to say "huh".

Let's just say my love for Nigeria does not blind my eyes to the problem(s) the country is suffering from.

Cool!!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by mustafar1: 11:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
let nta conduct the organized fraud. knowing our politicians. even if dem give them pre school level questions and all the right answers their talent would still shine thru.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by FBS: 9:06am On Feb 17, 2009
me thinks Pst Chris once debated right in 2004? but can't remember with whom? grin
but another point is, in what language will the debate be? not everyone speaks english. This is not just the rural areas, I mean even the politicians themselves.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by BOSS7: 9:26am On Feb 17, 2009
debosky:

I question how much of relevance it has in the Nigerian context, since all the politicians say the same thing: I will give you 'water, roads, light, security, jobs, etc'. There are very few ideological differences (if any) that can be used to distinguish candidates in Nigeria. Personalities dominate more than anything else.
FACT!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Arrest 60 Massob Members / The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! / 'our President Has No Shoes' - Sam Omatseye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.