Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me (1989 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Message From Our Lord Jesus Christ To Spiritual And Religious Leaders In Nigeria / Warnings From Jesus Christ To Churches in Nigeria - Linda Ngaujah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 2:45pm On Feb 23, 2009
And as I've already stated, they could be referring to a specific topic that he may not have been educated about or could be referring to the fact that they expected him to have no educational background. Are we to suppose that Jesus was uneducated simply because of less than a dozen words in scripture that can be interpreted in many different ways? And when logic dicatates otherwise?

Say you study Physics at school. You then graduate but know nothing about quantum mechanics as it was not on the curriculum, but you decide you love Physics so much you want to learn about it. You dont necessarily have to go to school to start reading quantum mechanics and as you've already got the education in basic Physics, you have a head-start in teaching yourself.

Taking a logical view, Jesus studied at one of the many religious schools. He then graduated and went on to a self-taught, "advanced" degree.

This is absolutely not unusual. Look at the major figures in the majority of religions. Most of them went about it the same way. They learnt their scripture and then went out to preach. In some cases (such as the Buddha and Jesus himself) scripture was then written by and about them.

The idea of Jesus being nothing but an un-educated carpenter defies simple logic.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 10:45pm On Feb 24, 2009
Bastage:

. . . The idea of Jesus being nothing but an un-educated carpenter defies simple logic.

@Bastage

Who called Jesus "uneducated" or implied that He was un-educated? Certainly wasn't me last time I checked.

There is a poles apart difference in "He didn't go to Bible college" and a trumped up "un-educated" quote.
- Hey my friend, mind your credibility, at this rate it could be at stakes . . .

Before I forget did you bring up Logic? You want to talk about Logic?

Tut-tut-tut . . .  Deep ends! Deep ends!!

Who is Logic? What is logic?

If Logic stares you in the face, would you recognise Him . . .
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Maykelly(f): 9:54am On Feb 25, 2009
Indeed, i've never seen a confused fellow like this poster angry
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by holyeye(m): 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2009
@ poster,
yur post kept me gazin at wat yur kinda person gonna b.
still shocked.
anyways, He aint far fetched frm mai last check.
if yu ar anywhere close to 3rd mainland bridge, there ar 2 options
firstly: trek to d middle of d bridge at nyt(aint sure yu got a car),
den smile smiley smiley smileynd jump into d beautiful waters.
secondly: instead of jumpin in2 d waters, target a fast moving trailer,
and run across.
most pple ere got no response for ya, cos He hasnt made one for any.
wld love to c wat d final furniture looks lyk. angry sad
enough said
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 9:15pm On Feb 25, 2009
There is a poles apart difference in "He didn't go to Bible college" and a trumped up "un-educated"

You show no knowledge of the subject.
There is no "poles apart difference". Education was Bible college. All education took place under the authority of the Jewish priests. All education was rooted in religion and scripture.

Please. Instead of trying to act the smart-ass, learn about the subject before questioning me.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 11:57pm On Feb 25, 2009
Bastage:

You show no knowledge of the subject.

There is no "poles apart difference". Education was Bible college.

All education took place under the authority of the Jewish priests.

All education was rooted in religion and scripture.

Please. Instead . . .  learn about the subject before questioning me.

@Bastage

Sorry if I stepped on a nerve (i.e. referring to "You show no knowledge of the subject . . .  learn about the subject before questioning me")

Ouch! That tongue lashing would have sent shivers down someone's else spine. Touchy.

I do have knowledge of the subject, but can you, handle the know and/or edge. Hmm?

By the way the punch hurt but it’s no biggie. You didn’t draw blood, not this time or yet and besides there's no hard feelings. We’re still friends and we’re just starting knowing each other.

Right without jumping to conclusions, are you insinuating that priests taught Jesus for awhile?

What could the priests have taught Jesus? Na-da!

Rather they were baffled right from the start at his superiority (i.e. advanced knowledge; borrowing your phrase)

The below reference sheds some light

Luke 2:46-47 BOLDs are mine not original:

Luke 2:46-47

King James Version (KJV)
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
46After three days they found Him [came upon Him] in the [a][court of the] temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
47And all who heard Him were astonished and overwhelmed with bewildered wonder at His intelligence and understanding and His replies.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
46And it came to pass, after three days, they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both hearing them and questioning them,
47and all those hearing him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

Phew! I have got that off my chest.

OK, OK, on the education? On this occasion I am not embarrassed to yield. Have it your way.

Yeah! Diffuse the standoff, break the stalemate and get this get-together started.

What does it matter if the priests taught Jesus; allegedly.

The priests are all dead and buried. Jesus is still ALIVE.

Good riddance of religion, the priests and their shenanigans.

So like Naeto-C would say "Kini big deal . . . "

- Literally "What’s the big deal . . . "

Hebrews 7:23-26:

Hebrews 7:23-26

Contemporary English Version (CEV)
23 There have been a lot of other priests, and all of them have died.
24 But Jesus will never die, and so he will be a priest forever!
25 He is forever able to save the people he leads to God, because he always lives to speak to God for them.
26 Jesus is the high priest we need. He is holy and innocent and faultless, and not at all like us sinners. Jesus is honored above all beings in heaven,

The above references sums it up
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 12:22am On Feb 26, 2009
What could the priests have taught Jesus? Na-da!

Rather they were baffled right from the start at his superiority (i.e. advanced knowledge; borrowing your phrase)

The passages you have posted refer to Jesus as an adult. Not as a child when he would have received his training. I don't dispute that he had superior knowledge as an adult and that he probably outstripped the scholars of his day.

Literally "What’s the big deal . . . "

You tell me. You decided to argue the point.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 9:42am On Feb 26, 2009
Bastage:

The passage you have posted refer to Jesus as an adult.

Not as a child when he would have received his training.

I don't dispute that he had superior knowledge as an adult and that he probably outstripped the scholars of his day.

@Bastage

What’s going on Bastage?

You aren’t winding me up are you?

“The passages you have posted refer to Jesus as an adult. Not as a child when he would have received his training.”

In your earlier post(s), I did sense you hinting something in the line similar to what's in your above quote but gave you the benefit of doubt that you aren't implying this.

I am beginning to sound like a broken record now; you are more credible than this because we all know that Jesus was twelve years old when that incident in the temple happened (i.e. the incident in the passages I posted ocurred when Jesus was twelve year old)

Pardon me, I presumed you were completely familiar with Bible, which is why I didn’t provide the preceding verse that confirms and backs up the fact.

Snip verses were presented in order not to bog you down with what is already general/public knowledge and not to unduly waste your time and mine.

Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 10:46am On Feb 26, 2009
we all know that Jesus was twelve years old when that incident in the temple happened (i.e. the incident in the passages I posted ocurred when Jesus was twelve year old)

*sigh*

A 12/13 year old was considered to be an adult in those times. A 12/13 year old was considered to be a man. The relic of this tradition is still passed down today in modern Judaism with the ceremony of the Bar Mitzvah.

Training began for a male child as soon as he was able to walk and talk. We know this because the Bar Mitzvah was the affirmation of all the religious education that the child had received prior.

You're putting the modern era in the way of your view of Jesus.
Put your modern views of adulthood and education to one side and look at the historical contexts.

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_child

The link states - "The Child Jesus, or Divine Infant, represents the infant Jesus until to the age of twelve. At thirteen he was considered to have become adult, in accordance with both the Jewish custom of his own time, and that of most Christian cultures until recent centuries."

It's a bit confusing because it says he was a child up until he was 12 and an adult at 13. Read like that, it looks like he was in limbo for a year but they didn't use December 25th as his birthday so in Jesus' case he became an adult somewhere between 12 and 13. Some scholars speculate that Jesus was born in April and if this was the case, he would have had his 13th birthday at or around the same time as this incident took place. Remember, he was 12 when they went to Jerusalem but they stayed there for at least a few days. Time enough for him to turn 13 and not contradictory to the Bible. It is entirely possible that this incident took place on his 13th birthday and that is why it was considered important enough to be included in the Bible.
But anyway, we know that in the case we're discussing here that Jesus was considered to be an adult as he was debating with the priests - something that no child was allowed to do.

You aren’t winding me up are you?

As you can see from the above, the answer is no. All I've stated there is commonly accepted fact.
But I could ask the same question of you.

Link regarding Christ's birthdate: http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/documents/Dating%20the%20Birth%20of%20Jesus%20of%20Nazareth.htm
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Maykelly(f): 11:29am On Feb 26, 2009
@Bastage , your a total confused man. We don't read links from internet We christians read the Holy Bible not twisted bible ok. so stop all this link of a thing. You will be more confused more than your master lucifer no devil.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 11:44am On Feb 26, 2009
Stop following me around.
It's like being haunted by the Ghost of Stupidity.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2009
@May Kelly

Please spare Bastage insults or rudeness and hey the devil is not confused.

@Bastage

Couldnt quote or reference your last post because this was written offline waiting to upload, only to notice you've added and/or edit your earlier posting a bit - Too late to re-write this, am submitting it as it is.

Officially adulthood is at age 13, then and now (i.e. like as in the “Bar Mitzvah” ceremonies of today where 13-year-old Jewish boys are considered as adults and responsible for their moral and religious duties)

Wikipedia is your source and reference? Wikipedia of all sources . . .

Aren't you aware its contents can and/or have been doctored? - the genuineness and authenticity have been known to be biased too.

Cameron and Brown's wikipedia saga comes to mind: To refresh your memory about it Click here

Anyways as you are impatient and easily irritated, we’ll let this roll . . .
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 12:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
Wikipedia is your source and reference? Wikipedia of all sources . . .

Are you disputing the fact that Jewish children became adults at that age?

I just pulled a Wikipedia link because the subject matter is not in question.
There are 1000s of links that show that 12/13 was the accepted date of adulthood. Google for yourself. Belitttling Wikipedia in this instance does nothing for your argument.

By the way. I edited to make the point clearer. I felt it better to place it there than to create a new post as the contents was entirely relevant and just backed up the facts that I pointed out.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 12:40pm On Feb 26, 2009
Bastage:

There are 1000s of links that show that 12/13 was the accepted date of adulthood. Google for yourself. Belitttling Wikipedia in this instance does nothing for your argument.

Belitttling? Was merely drawing your attention to the fact that Wikipedia has been known to be predijuced, hence the reference to the Cameron-Brown saga and the link about it.

Looks like you selectively ignored the reference link about Wikipedia been doctored.

Here is the link again to refresh your memory Click here

I knew you'll be digging in your heels with the 12/13 thingy (i.e 12 or 13).

Officially adulthood is at age 13, then and now (i.e. like as in the “Bar Mitzvah” ceremonies of today where 13-year-old Jewish boys are considered as adults and responsible for their moral and religious duties)

As noticed in the my earlier/last post (i.e. the above) I am reiterating here again, adulthood is at age 13 period; not 12/13 as you are championing.

I can live with 12 or 13 if that is what you believe  . . .  No skin off my nose  smiley
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 6:08pm On Feb 26, 2009
Your comment about Wikipedia is irrelevant. That is why I have ignored it.

As for Jesus? We place his adulthood at 12-13 because we do not know the date of his birth.

Yes. I do dig my heels in. But that is because I am aware of my subject matter. You, on the other hand, questioned me believing that adulthood started in the late teens. Even if you didn't (which I sincerely doubt) the matter of Jesus being at the Temple means that he was an adult.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by spikedcylinder: 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ OP
This is outright mockery. Ridiculous and unnecessary.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 9:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
Bastage:

. . .  But that is because I am aware of my subject matter.

You, on the other hand, questioned me believing that adulthood started in the late teens.

Even if you didn't (which I sincerely doubt) the matter of Jesus being at the Temple means that he was an adult.

SME? You wish . . .

and look, where has it got you, huh?

Where did I say or imply that adulthood starts in the late teens, erh?

Quote me, I dare you.

Anway I've already sussed you out and know just about enough to sum you up.

Nice to have jaw-jawed with you. Nice.

So its all good and I'll let you be.

It was good while it lasted.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 1:09am On Feb 27, 2009
Oh please.

Go play games elsewhere.
You don't have the mental capacity to debate me.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Recognise: 1:49am On Feb 27, 2009
Bastage:

Oh please.

Go play games elsewhere.

You don't have the mental capacity to debate me.

Game! so that's what it was to you . . .

You think I've got the time or day to indulge you.

You have a chip, nah three on your shoulder, don't cha?

It's about time you came down off your high horse.

Mental capacity? Debate?
. . . with plagiarism

You're so full of SH1T it . . . 

and you're the last person to know.

I'll let you have the last say to pacify you. Friend.
Re: I Want Jesus Christ To Construct Furniture For Me by Bastage: 11:23am On Feb 27, 2009
I'll let you have the last say to pacify you. Friend.

That's very kind of you. wink

Yanno, I've seen idiots like you come and go before. They throw in a statement thinking that they are so correct but then get blown apart and cry like pussies. Once they are exposed as empty-handed and empty-headed, all they can do is resort to smoke-screening and bullshit (take a look at your crap about Wiki to see how this works. I mean, what the feck does Wiki's relevance really have to do with Jesus' age?).

Then we get the typical "I won, you're so shit" retorts, even when it's really clear that the poster didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

"Where did I say or imply that adulthood starts in the late teens, erh?
Quote me, I dare you."

Bitch, I don't have to. Both you and I know for a fact that is what you were implying when you thought you were smart enough to gain points. You knew it was 13 right? Yet you never mentioned that Christ travelled to the Temple at 12 and could have turned 13 whilst he was there? You never mentioned that only adults could go to the Temple and debate priests? You used a quote from the Bible that actually shows Jesus was an adult yet you never even mentioned it? Why is that, I wonder?
I'll tell you why. It's because you didn't know. Pretend otherwise my friend, but you've been found sorely lacking.

Amusing to see how the buffoon descends into hypocrisy isn't it?

Mental capacity? Debate? . . . with plagiarism

Actually, there was no plagiarism on my part. I merely posted a couple of links to back up my statements. Those statements were based on sound knowledge which has been agreed upon by scholars the world over. And what did you post? Bible passages!!! That was the only proof or source you could offer!!! Pathetic. Accuse me of plagiarism for lacing an argument with logical sources whilst you throw in scripture without any recourse to backing it up. In fact, not only are you a hypocrite, but you've proven yourself to be a lazy hypocrite. The number of idiots who post scripture parrot fashion without having a clue of it's contents and meaning is amazing and you are certainly in there amongst them.

Please come back when you want to play again. But next time, bring some balls and some brains. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Jehova Witness Should Not Be Educated / Free Astrology Reading For All (discover High Secret About Yourself) / Someone's Outfit To Church..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.