Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. (25602 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University / Tension In Ibadan Poly As Student Dies At Medical Centre / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by sammyscholar(m): 10:02am On May 31, 2015
papindinho:
A note of correction to both schools.

I think one of the judges in one of the just concluded rounds mentioned the need to write the full meaning of acronyms. Pseudonomer gave one full meaning i.e. Post-UTME and shunned the rest. The others didn't even blink at it.

This forum is accessed by many foreigners who are oblivious of JAMB, SSCE, et al..... It's advisable you take note of that.
I did. And I even took my time to explain each acronym. I cannot write them in full everywhere when there is limit to words we must use. Re-read my essay.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by IGWISE(m): 10:12am On May 31, 2015
K
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by papindinho(m): 10:13am On May 31, 2015
pseudonomer:
School: FUNAAB
Every universities has their own standards , the Post-UTME can be a way for some universities to test their prospective students if they will be fit enough to survive the school workload. For example, JAMB exempt some science students from taking Mathematics in their UTME, Which is always part of their workload in the first year, the post-UTME is another test if the prospective candidate have the required knowledge of Mathematics to survive in the school.

Another case is the Post-UME screening examination conducted by the University of Education, Ikere-Ekiti (TUNEDIK), particularly in essay writing, exposed inadequacies in most of the candidates. A total of 500 candidates were randomly selected for this study from five departments of the three foundation faculties of education, science and information technology and arts, social and management sciences. 200 out of the 500 candidates (40%) scored 200 marks and above in JAMB, 125 candidates (25%) scored 190-199, also 125 candidates (25%) again scored 180-189 and 50 candidates (10%) scored 170-179 in JAMB. Ironically, only 87 out of the 200 candidates (43.5%), who scored 200 and above in JAMB, passed the Post-UME essay while the remaining 113 candidates (56.5%) scored below 40%. Without screening, candidates who scored 200 marks and above in JAMB would have been automatically admitted on merit, whereas many of those candidates in the score ranges of 190-199 and 180-189 did better in the Post-UME essay.

@bolded should be something like "every university has its own standard(s)" I think.

By the way, both schools did well. Citing cases like that gives you a PLUS and I didn't expect the second speaker to repeat what the first speaker had said (FUNAAB). That was like two or more paragraphs.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by papindinho(m): 10:15am On May 31, 2015
sammyscholar:
I did. And I even took my time to explain each acronym. I cannot write them in full everywhere when there is limit to words we must use. Re-read my essay.
yea... I saw that of JAMB, UME and that was all I think, whereas you used more than three acronyms.

I generalised the comment which made it seem like you didn't mention all the necessities.

Gracias.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by papindinho(m): 10:31am On May 31, 2015
sammyscholar:

word count things, I understand though.

Nigerian tertiary institutions, today,
remained the most stressful, rigorous, and most tortures to gain admission into.

At the bolded, I think you meant "most tortured".... Typo tns
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Miscellaneous(m): 10:40am On May 31, 2015
Mikelooh2:

Good day coorinator, please how do i register my school for nairaland debate?

man, it's very easy. There are usually time frame set aside for reps of different school to register. Unfortunately, for this edition, that time frame is long gone as you can see - the debate has already begun. Stick your head out for next edition . . . Visit Nairaland Interschool Debate Planning Thread for further queries, suggestions, questions or comments. Thanks. Happy Sunday.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by opyscol(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2015
sammyscholar:
thanks!
Greatest polytes

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by gostartit(m): 11:30am On May 31, 2015
May the better school win
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Kutunban: 1:14pm On May 31, 2015
pseudonomer:
School: FUNAAB

The Post-UTME test must stay. The Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination test was introduced in 2005 to combat the flaws of JAMB in conducting an entrance examination into the tertiary-level institutions. Since the establishment of JAMB UME, some students cheated their way to the pass JAMB UTME, so the post-UTME is a way to sieve qualified candidates from those who cheated to pass.

Every universities has their own standards, the Post-UTME can be a way for some universities to test their prospective students if they will be fit enough to survive the school workload. For example, JAMB exempt some science students from taking Mathematics in their UTME, Which is always part of their workload in the first year, the post-UTME is another test if the prospective candidate have the required knowledge of Mathematics to survive in the school.

Some students employ unethical means to pass the JAMB UTME. This point alone is the main the reason for the post-UTME test. For a example, a female candidate applied to study economics in University of Ibadan (UI) with excellent results in School Certificate Examination and Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB)’s examination. Specifically, the female potential student of Economics paraded eight distinctions (A1) in eight subjects at the school certificate level and 284 marks in JAMB conducted examination – Fantastic results combination that attracted UI to invite her for “interaction”, UI’s model of Post University Matriculation Examination (UME) test. At the post UME interaction, the panel members were so “impressed” with her supposed results, that they had almost asked her to take a bow and go until someone from the panel, probably out of curiosity, posted a simple question to her. Young lady, with your results, you are definitely going to lead the class, but before you go, as a prospective economics student, what is GDP? Dazed. The lady began to fidget, scratching her head as she started sweating. Initially, some of the panel members thought she was intimidated by the presence of some professors, thereby, giving her time to relax. But, alas, the candidate bungled as she later confessed that someone wrote the exams for her. In other words, the results were not hers. However, this mumbo-jumbo was only uncovered at the post UME interaction!
If that was a ludicrous case in the faculty of the Social Sciences, a similar mendacious situation occurred during the Post-UME test in the Faculty of Arts, in which a candidate with equally considered “good results” who wanted to study English could not spell “island, tomorrow and occasion.” Yet, this was a candidate with distinctions and 275 marks in JAMB’s examination. These two cases are just illustrations of the beauty of post-UME interaction, an integrity check in the university admission process.

Another case is the Post-UME screening examination conducted by the University of Education, Ikere-Ekiti (TUNEDIK), particularly in essay writing, exposed inadequacies in most of the candidates. A total of 500 candidates were randomly selected for this study from five departments of the three foundation faculties of education, science and information technology and arts, social and management sciences. 200 out of the 500 candidates (40%) scored 200 marks and above in JAMB, 125 candidates (25%) scored 190-199, also 125 candidates (25%) again scored 180-189 and 50 candidates (10%) scored 170-179 in JAMB. Ironically, only 87 out of the 200 candidates (43.5%), who scored 200 and above in JAMB, passed the Post-UME essay while the remaining 113 candidates (56.5%) scored below 40%. Without screening, candidates who scored 200 marks and above in JAMB would have been automatically admitted on merit, whereas many of those candidates in the score ranges of 190-199 and 180-189 did better in the Post-UME essay.

It is so clear to see that the tertiary institutions cannot rely on JAMB UTME alone to admit students into their institutions. Is two exams too much to sieve qualified candidates from those who used illegal means to pass the exam?

References:

Ui.edu.ng/postume
digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/352

Please, we need references and links to your stories about the girl who was ask what GDP means.

Secondly, your partner is also presenting the same points about the girl asked what GDP is, it will be advisable to bring up different instances with convincing facts rather than repeating same stories.

Furthermore, acronyms should be well explained for the purpose of clarity as someone stated above.

Well its a good challenge where intellectuals express facts and points with great prowess and am delighted that Nairaland is providing a platform for this.

Good luck to you all debaters.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by johncasey1(m): 1:20pm On May 31, 2015
papindinho:

remained the most stressful, rigorous, and most tortures to gain admission into.
o
Or you mean "most torturous"
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by sammyscholar(m): 1:24pm On May 31, 2015
papindinho:

not typo. I used it as adjective.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 31, 2015
[quote author=Miscellaneous post=34273486][/quote] Please the result! Happy Sunday
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Kutunban: 1:48pm On May 31, 2015
Points stated by the debaters in support of Post-UTME (Post university tertiary matriculation examination) in my opinion are not really convincing reasons:

1)They claim JAMB (Joint admission and matriculation board) has been compromised because of irregularities happening during exams, like malpractices. Now, the so called post UTME which is now mandatory for an applicant to write has been bastardized with gross nepotism, as such applicants with good grades or points are not given admission or courses they applied for even if they score good grades after the so called post JAMB.

2)CBT has now been introduced by JAMB to checkmate irregularities. Will I be right to ask the debaters in support of post JAMB to advocate for total cancellation of Post-JAMB? Since malpractice was minimal in 2015 JAMB.

3)The amount of money charged for post JAMB is outrageous because an applicant will buy form for JAMB and pay for post JAMB after getting the cutoff marks/ scores. Don't you think its unethical?

I will be delighted with immense pleasure if you can rebut my reasons/ opinion.

Thank you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by pseudonomer: 1:49pm On May 31, 2015
Kutunban:

Please, we need references and links to your stories about the girl who was ask what GDP means.

Secondly, your partner is also presenting the same points about the girl asked what GDP is, it will be advisable to bring up different instances with convincing facts rather than repeating same stories.

Furthermore, acronyms should be well explained for the purpose of clarity as someone stated above.

Well its a good challenge where intellectuals express facts and points with great prowess and am delighted that Nairaland is providing a platform for this.

Good luck to you all debaters.

You should have checked the reference. http://www.ui.edu.ng/postume
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by subbieD(f): 2:40pm On May 31, 2015
cry cry seriously? I missed Ds?...... shocked
Why yesterday Na......

Greatest funaabites!!!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Ezehrobinson(m): 3:02pm On May 31, 2015
Great presentation by both parties. would have loved to contribute but the debate is over. nevertheless, I believe that post utme is a quality control to ascertain if students really merited their score. Its more transparent because the supervision is done right under the nose of competent supervisors unlike utme that many students run to the Creek to take because the supervisors can easily be influenced.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 3:18pm On May 31, 2015
Compiling results........
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by papindinho(m): 7:43pm On May 31, 2015
johncasey1:
Or you mean "most torturous"
nice idea but I think most tortured best suits the context...

@Sammyscholar: I don't think there is such adjective as "most tortures", the closest to the one used in the context is the one cited above by johncasey1.

Thanks John.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by sammyscholar(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2015
papindinho:
nice idea but I think most tortured best suits the context...

@Sammyscholar: I don't think there is such adjective as "most tortures", the closest to the one used in the context is the one cited above by johncasey1.

Thanks John.
ok. Thanks. Oga papy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Mikelooh2(m): 7:52pm On May 31, 2015
Miscellaneous:

man, it's very easy. There are usually time frame set aside for reps of different school to register. Unfortunately, for this edition, that time frame is long gone as you can see - the debate has already begun. Stick your head out for next edition . . . Visit Nairaland Interschool Debate Planning Thread for further queries, suggestions, questions or comments. Thanks. Happy Sunday.
Guess you answered my question very well, can i have the link to the Nairaland Interschool Debate Planning Thread?
Happy sunday!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by johncasey1(m): 8:38pm On May 31, 2015
subbieD:
cry cry seriously? I missed Ds?...... shocked Why yesterday Na......

Greatest funaabites!!!!
of cos u missed

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by johncasey1(m): 8:39pm On May 31, 2015
subbieD:
cry cry seriously? I missed Ds?...... shocked Why yesterday Na......

Greatest funaabites!!!!
of cos u missed
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by subbieD(f): 8:59pm On May 31, 2015
johncasey1:
of cos u missed

Dnt mind me jare,No light ni
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:21pm On May 31, 2015
We are so sorry for the delay in the result. So many obstacles.......
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by subbieD(f): 9:30pm On May 31, 2015
Fynestboi:
We are so sorry for the delay in the result. So many obstacles.......

Ook,can we have the result now
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:41pm On May 31, 2015
Before I put up the score.

As we all know that at the end of every competition there must be a prize, which I believe will serve as a medium of encouragement to all our participant.
First Edition witness such a huge success thanks to all our sponsors.... Jarushub consult, B. O. S. S(r231) , Inspire_m, Coogar, chaircover,) nd also our judges (jaybee3, mathewbriggs, Obinoscopy, Caracta, ujsizzle, greedie, tgirl4real, jarus) they all made the first edition a success all thanks to them.

However the second edition looks forward to much help from our audience that are ready to sponsor this online dream. An avenue to foster online cooperation intellectually among citadel. Last edition was not made public due to some reasons but we decided to throw this open to the whole of NAIRALAND community for more financial aid .....

Hence we solicit for sponsorship and donor. No amount is to small.......
God bless... .....
Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:41pm On May 31, 2015
subbieD:

Ook,can we have the result now
Lol relax ma.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:47pm On May 31, 2015
Sammyscholar
1. Presentation - 4.5

2. Logic of arguments 3

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases. - 2

4. Persuasiven - 3
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3.5
TOTAL.... 16

Darrytoz
1. Presentation - 4

2. Logic of arguments 3

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases. - 2

4. Persuasiven - 2.5
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3.5
TOTAL.... 15

Psuedoomer
1. Presentation - 4.5

2. Logic of arguments 3

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases. - 4

4. Persuasiven - 3
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3

TOTAL: 17.5

Nunushokoto
1. Presentation - 2

2. Logic of arguments 2.5

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases. - 3

4. Persuasiven - 2.5
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3

TOTAL. 13

TOTAL
IBADANPOLY.... 31
FUNAAB ... 30.5
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:53pm On May 31, 2015
JUDGE TWO.
Results
Sammyscholar
1. 4
2. 4
3. 3.5
4. 3.5
5. 3.5

TOTAL..... 18.5

Darrytoz
1. 4
2. 3.5
3. 4
4. 3
5. 4
TOTAL..... 18.5

Pseudonomer
1. 4
2. 3
3. 3.5
4. 3.5
5. 4
TOTAL... 18

Nunushokoto
1. 3.5
2. 4
3. 3
4. 4

TOTAL..., 17.5

TOTAL...

IBADANPOLY.... 37
FUNAAB.. 35.5
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by fattbabakay(m): 9:55pm On May 31, 2015
Mikelooh2:

Good day coorinator, please how do i register my school for nairaland debate?
Registration is over for now. Kindly check back next year.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 9:57pm On May 31, 2015
[size=18pt]Grand Total

IBADAN POLY =68
FUNAAB.... 66

I hereby pronounce IBADANPOLY as the winner.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. by Fynestboi: 10:03pm On May 31, 2015
NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE NISD:::
GROUP STANDING....

IBADANPOLY. 68

FUNAAB 66

ABU ZARIA 46.6

OAU 26

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gateway Polytechnic Students Protest Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? / WAEC Is Confused – MURIC, Reveals What Timetable Can Cause In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.