Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist (25907 Views)

3 Likely Sureties Who May Stand In To Meet Nnamdi Kanu Bail Conditions / Buhari Forced Me To Contest As Governor- El- Rufai / Pictures Of Jonathan's Guards That Assaulted Punch Reporter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by lalasticlala(m): 8:49am On May 30, 2015
I set out on Thursday, May 28, 2015 to Otuoke, President Goodluck Jonathan ‘s country home in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State to capture the mood and the activities taking place there ahead of Jonathan’s welcome reception.

On getting to Otuoke around 10am, I went into the streets to interview residents (and community leaders) on their preparedness to receive one of their illustrious sons whose national assignment ended on Friday after losing the March 28 presidential election.

On my way back to Yenagoa, about 11:30am, I saw construction workers renovating the walls of Jonathan’s residence fence and putting finishing touches to buildings in his sprawling estate. I thought the activities were worth capturing in pictures to illustrate the views of Jonathan’s people.

So, I decided to take pictures of the activities of the construction workers. As soon as I took some shots, some operatives of the Joint Task Force guarding the gate of the estate swooped on me. They quickly ordered me to give them the BlackBerry I used to take the shots, which I obliged without hesitation. They said I was under arrest for taking the shots. Thereafter, they ordered that all my gadgets such as my Samsung Galaxy Notes, my mobile phone (Samsung Grand Prime) and my BlackBerry be seized.

They seized my office ID card and my wristwatch. They accused me of espionage and insisted that I should tell them the names of people who sponsored me. I told them I am a journalist (State correspondent for Punch Newspaper).

All my explanations did not assuage them as they were bent on torturing me. They said I was on their wanted list for running a previous story, ‘Aso Rock exit: Jonathan to live in Island Palatial estate.’ They threatened that I would pay dearly for that report.

In the process of their rough-handling me, the rain started. I was asked to stay in the rain where I was drenched. A military police officer came and asked them to allow me into the security gate. He said the commander of 5 Batallion, Otuoke, asked me to wait for him at the security gate for interrogation. I waited for close to five hours before the military police officer came in around 5pm and said the commander directed that I should be handed over to the police for further interrogation.

They drove me to Kolo Police Station in Ogbia. When we got there, I was temporarily detained behind the counter. About 30 minutes after, the Divisional Police Officer informed me that what I was accused of was a serious matter which he said they could not handle there.

The matter was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yenagoa. That was where I was allowed to make a call across to a colleague to tell my office and other journalists of my plight.

At SCID, they took my statement. In the course of writing the statement, the police spokesman, Asinim Butswatt came and said the commissioner of police wanted to see me with the ACP SCID and the investigating police officer handling the matter.

When we got to the CP’s office, I narrated what happened. After that, he asked the IPO to go and take a comprehensive statement from me. I was taken back to the state CID again where I was subjected to rigorous interrogation. At about 8pm, the IPO gave instruction that I should be ‘properly’ detained. As usual, they asked me to remove my pair of sandals, belt and shirt and I was thrown into detention by 9pm.

Inmates in the cell were cooperative on hearing that I am a journalist. Instead of beating me, they said any time I was released, I should help them to champion their cause. They said that some of them had been detained there for months without trial.

After the banter with them, I slept off. Around 12:30am, on Friday, a senior officer came and asked that I should be brought out. They brought a bail bond and asked me to fill, which I did. Thereafter, I was released on self recognition. However, I was asked to leave all my belongings there and report at the station later in the day.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathans-guards-forced-me-to-stand-in-the-rain-detained-punch-journalist/

1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by omenka(m): 8:51am On May 30, 2015
Lol

I'd recommend this thread be placed directly above the other which claims thugs beat up a journalist for doing a report against Al Makura and Buhari.

TANoids were seen to be very ecstatic on that thread and busied themselves jumping up and down like Orang utans overdosed on steroids.

Thugs aren't state agents yet they still found a way to drag Baba's name into it and tagged it the commencement of "Decree 4". Here are state agents directly attached to their remote controller, Jogogoro (apologies Demdem) doing the Decree thingy.

cheesy

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by KingTom(m): 8:51am On May 30, 2015
This is truly barbaric, yet some dolts would be giving me the freedom of information rubbish, contrast this to the story on FP where TOUTS wearing Ta, Al shirts were immediately accused of being APC members, here it is the MILITARY beating up an innocent reporter taking pictures of his President's errr sorry EX-PRESIDENT's home. This is a wakeup call to all those who believe Saint Jonathan is incapable of evil, shame on them for this barbaric act. Just sit back and watch the well oiled robots attack me..... grin

Omenka why na cry

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:54am On May 30, 2015
hahahahahaha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by sammieguze(m): 8:54am On May 30, 2015
Lolzzzz.... Where are the tanoiids when you need their attention most?

The same set of people who blame buhari on the previous thread should come and justify this act.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:55am On May 30, 2015
KingTom:
po

see wetin first to comment do you..... grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by onyi4edu(f): 8:55am On May 30, 2015
He should have introduced himself first and then asked for the permission to take pictures and not just rushing into it because he is a journalist.

Meanwhile leave Jonathan out of this.

Modified***
After reading people's comments and mentions I realised that we have a long way to go in restructuring this country. If there was no one at the site then it's understandable but he met people there and without introduction or permission he starts taking pictures and he expects them to clap for him
I give up honestly undecided

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:56am On May 30, 2015
omenka:
Lo

You have booked page to type rubbish abi? Shameless man! Let me tell you something, you, NgeneUkwenu, Beremx, Mzjackbaures.... Karma will definitely catch up with you guys one day. Most of you are already complaing that Buhari is being called Brainless. But you had the guts to stay in your one room apartment to type rubbish for four years and call somebody who your whole generations will never be better than "Clueless". Someone who will pay the school fees of your whole village for hundreds of years to come. Yes.... Call him all you like.

But I am certain that your "I velong to ebrivodi" president will encounter the problems he faced. I am sure that he will soon realise that we are in a democratic setting and that the problem with Nigeria is ontological and deep rooted in blood. If you think am lying, stand where ever you are, remove your right borrowed shoes, look up to the sun and swear that you are not a beneficiary of the Nigerian corrupt system. Let me know if Idemmili will not strike you dead.

Personally, I was not comfortable with the way Nigeria was under Jonathan. But I was very much ok with his leadership style. But what will I do? All the past Northern Criminals that ruled this country and are still being recycled one by one are still there holding this country down. Obasanjo that Satan saw and shouted "It is well with my soul" is now even criticizing Jonathan. Babangida that truncated one of the most peaceful elections I witnessed in Nigeria is still there. Abdusalami Abubakar that was indicted in the Harliburton scandal is still there. Even the emperor and grand father of corruption..... The one eyed Derico Nwa mama of our time.... The supporter of APC of Lagos..... Thinubu himself is still there.

But if there is one thing I have learnt in my whole life, it is the very fact that you can never cheat nature. There is a saying that he who goes to equity must come with clean hands. Buhari who claimed that he borrowed money to buy the presidential form is the same man his wife donated 100 and something million for buying drugs. Who are we deceiving? That shows that ab initio, Buhari is not going to equity with clean hands. Let me see how he will deal with Wale Tinubu and Otedola..... Let me see how will deal with same old goons benefiting from this corrupt nation.

Personally, I no longer wish him to fail as I did before election. But can a computer software not do what is what programmed to do? Something that has been engineered to fail, how will it be redeemed? ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

FINALLY, I WISH NIGERIA WELL!

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by funkyfrevy(f): 8:56am On May 30, 2015
That is to say Welcome to otuoke.
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by hardywaltz(m): 8:56am On May 30, 2015
I Tot some silly Taniods claimed that there was freedom of speech during GEJ tenure.

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by bamidele029: 8:56am On May 30, 2015
He he he , Tanoids show your face

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by ionsman: 8:56am On May 30, 2015
I don't know what to say...
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:56am On May 30, 2015
Am a classic girl doing yoga

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by modath(f): 8:57am On May 30, 2015
Press freedom is a non negotiable part and parcel of any sane democratic setting.

This is the 2nd story this morning about the political class manhandling journalist in order to gag them..

Nigeria is not a banana republic nah. kiss
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by slap1(m): 8:57am On May 30, 2015
OK. I will tell him.
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by maggilove(f): 8:57am On May 30, 2015
I think there's nothing wrong in what he did, just doing his work, they should have heard him out before subjecting him to interogations. His I D card was enough to speak for him, but our people sha.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Svenn(m): 8:57am On May 30, 2015
Maybe he though GEJ was happy while smiling yesterday, he no know say baba dey vex.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by QuotaSystem: 8:57am On May 30, 2015
One would have thought Jonathan's reign of lawlessness and chaos will end on the 29th of May, but CLEARLY the assault on the free press must continue to Otueke, just like he ordered military men to sieze copies of 'My Watch' and manhandle the journalists a day before its release.

Yet TANoids were insinuating that our dear President is intolerant of the press. What hypocrisy.

Dahjhi:
Take it or leave it, Freedom of Speech against the government already expired with GEJ government.. undecided

Tell us more...

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Kingspin(m): 8:57am On May 30, 2015
ok
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by funkyfrevy(f): 8:58am On May 30, 2015
That is to say Welcome to otuoke
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Neplusultra(f): 8:58am On May 30, 2015
People will just be looking for who'll kill dem so dey'll say Jonathan killed him!! Can't you stay in ur house??! Jonathan messed up but it's high you people leave him alone!!! He has handed ova!!!

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:58am On May 30, 2015
[/b]I guess dis a counter thread for what buhari aides did to a journalist yesterday at the inauguration ground right

walks out of thread like a big boy[b]

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by nerodenero: 8:58am On May 30, 2015
All my explanations did not assuage them as they were bent on torturing me. They said I was on their wanted list for running a previous story, ‘Aso Rock exit: Jonathan to live in Island Palatial estate.’ They threatened that I would pay dearly for that report.
There is freedom to write as a journalist but freedom after writing a report isn't guaranteed.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Nobody: 8:58am On May 30, 2015
Punch Journalist are always useless......

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Pheals(f): 8:59am On May 30, 2015
Jona is angry !
Now some people will be .... See wickedness
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by bolliejay(m): 8:59am On May 30, 2015
Eyah..sorry o....don't worry Baba is here now.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by Saao(m): 8:59am On May 30, 2015
from the write up, if u really know ur job, before taking pictures of any properties, u need to take permission from those on site. we are not in animal kingdom abeg

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by rerhji(m): 9:00am On May 30, 2015
more grease to ur cluelessnes mr. gej
Re: Jonathan’s Guards Forced Me To Stand In The Rain – Detained Punch Journalist by ionsman: 9:00am On May 30, 2015
Onyi4edu, you have a point there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Garba Shehu: Using Tax From Herdsmen, Farmers To Subsidise Petrol Unfair / Shouts Of APC At Ojude Oba Festival Is An Abomination - OBA / 2019 Elections: INEC Results Collation Process Not Transparent.. E. U

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.