Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? (2569 Views)

Book Review- Black Boy By Richard Wright / Before You Commit Suicide / Why Did Cinderella's Fairy Godmother Not Show Up Until It Was Time For The Ball? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Heromaniaa: 9:48pm On May 30, 2015
Whenever Richard Cory went down
town,
We people on the pavement looked at
him:
He was a gentleman from sole to
crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.
And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he
talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he
said,
'Good-morning,' and he glittered when
he walked.
And he was rich - yes, richer than a
king -
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was
everything
To make us wish that we were in his
place.
So on we worked, and waited for the
light,
And went without the meat, and cursed
the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer
night,
Went home and put a bullet through
his head.
by Edwin Arlington Robinson. Who can say Y Richard committed suicide!
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by jaymichael(m): 11:22pm On May 30, 2015
You ain't gonna believe that just yesterday I was just thinking about this poem and Richard Cory, what a coincidence. I was just thinking about my own life and it's little troubles and I just thought what if I get fed up and decided to end it all just like Richard Cory? what will people say about me when am gone, especially people whom your life is what they dream about? Richard Cory, his life was envied, not his (unseen) troubles.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Heromaniaa: 12:28am On May 31, 2015
[quote author=jaymichael I was having same feelings... Depressed sort of.
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Babe2sure(f): 1:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
This poem aptly depict the saying that, "All that glitters is not gold"

People only take Richard at face value, they don't know the troubles he is contending with. No human is immune from troubles. We can't have it all.

Despite the riches, and being put on a high pedestal by the public. His problems are too overwhelming for him to consider ending his life "Money cannot buy happiness"

Richard committed suicide because he was lonely, socially disconnected, which in itself can be emotionally costly. He shows an happy mien in public, but he was depressed, for him to have ended it all!
Heromaniaa:
[quote author=jaymichael
I was having same feelings... Depressed sort of.

Heeya! Sorry OP, is it something you can share?
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Heromaniaa: 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
Was feeling depressed cos I felt that my goals weren't materialising as fast as I wanted.
Babe2sure:
This poem aptly depict the saying that, "All that glitters is not gold"
People only take Richard at face value, they don't know the troubles he is contending with. No human is immune from troubles. We can't have it all.
Despite the riches, and being put on a high pedestal by the public. His problems are too overwhelming for him to consider ending his life "Money cannot but happiness"
Richard committed suicide because he was lonely, socially disconnected, which in itself can be emotionally costly. He shows an happy mien in public, but he was depressed, for him to have ended it all!
Was feeling depressed cos I felt that my goals weren't materialising as fast as I wanted.
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Babe2sure(f): 6:58am On Jun 02, 2015
Heromaniaa:

Don't be depressed about it. Be hopeful!. God has reasons for delaying things we want from him sometimes, it doesn't mean he is denying us. It's just a matter of time.

Share your thoughts with someone/people you can trust around you, don't bottle up your emotion.
There is a thread for those who are depressed at the family section. You may want to read and get encouragement from there. Cheers!
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Heromaniaa: 6:55pm On Jun 02, 2015
Babe2sure:

Don't be depressed about it. Be hopeful!. God has reasons for delaying things we want from him sometimes, it doesn't mean he is denying us. It's just a matter of time.

Share your thoughts with someone/people you can trust around you, don't bottle up your emotion.
There is a thread for those who are depressed at the family section. You may want to read and get encouragement from there. Cheers!
thanks
Re: Why Did Richard Commit Suicide? by Babe2sure(f): 7:04pm On Jun 02, 2015
Heromaniaa:
thanks

You are welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Another Shade Of Red / Sex Seduction By Igwe / List Of Phobias---- The Fears Glossary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.