Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:44 AM

How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence (923 Views)

Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. / How Prosperity Gospel Creates Poor Christians. ( The Las Vegas Dilemma) / T.D. Jakes Shocked After His Theology Called Into Question Following Gay Remarks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by Onyiibazz: 10:19pm On May 30, 2015
Disclaimer, am not good at craming bible quotations, hence i wont be quoting bible verses. I also used to be a christian, but not anymore though i still go to church on some days just to ease boredom.

Now everybody knows what is prosperity theology so i wont start definitions here as if i'm writing some gsp101 term paper. I'll just delve into the topic straight away
1. Stealing and other dubious activities: since the primary aim of every sermon under discussion lies on how God wants his people to prosper and posses the earth, the continued re echoing of these sermons on the minds of church members do create in them an urge to make financial gains. These members do therefore go about doing all forms of unworthy things just to make money since if they dont, it means they're not living the will of God. And nobody wants that. Some of their men go as far as collecting bribes in government offices and other positions of authority, their young men do all sort of illegal businesses, internet fraud and kidnapping so as to live the will of God, even their women are not left out, they engage in prostitution, and 'runs'.
The students among them indulge in examination malpractices covertly so as to have good results inorder to share testimonies in church of how god is faithful in their studies.
2. Grace overcomes all: since prosperity theologies are always centred on grace, the followers are made to believe that once they believe in one magical jesus christ that they are automatically redeemed unto eternal life in a heaven of eternal bliss. Now these people move about commiting all forms of atrocities since grace and christ are there to bear the burden. Unlike in the traditional african setting where they believe that when you comit an atrocity, you would have the gods of the land to face. People avoided immoral acts but same cant be said of my brethren who are promised a super grace.
Conclusion: since it's true that prosperity theology aids moral decadence in the society, it is safe to ask the new president to scrap all religious bodies that only center their messages on that.
Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by lomprico(m): 10:32pm On May 30, 2015
I 100% agree with you.

1 Like

Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by Tocheagle(m): 10:36pm On May 30, 2015
Prosperity teaching has nothing to do with moral decadence. There are people who go to where they preach holi holi , yet they still have skeletons dancing sekem in their cupboard . Ask yourself one question, if everybody in the whole would was poor WOULD THE WORLD BE A BETTER PLACE ?
Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by indiraserv: 10:39pm On May 30, 2015
@ Op please what form of spirituality do you practice now?
Onyiibazz:
Disclaimer, am not good at craming bible quotations, hence i wont be quoting bible verses. I also used to be a christian, but not anymore though i still go to church on some days just to ease boredom.

Now everybody knows what is prosperity theology so i wont start definitions here as if i'm writing some gsp101 term paper. I'll just delve into the topic straight away
1. Stealing and other dubious activities: since the primary aim of every sermon under discussion lies on how God wants his people to prosper and posses the earth, the continued re echoing of these sermons on the minds of church members do create in them an urge to make financial gains. These members do therefore go about doing all forms of unworthy things just to make money since if they dont, it means they're not living the will of God. And nobody wants that. Some of their men go as far as collecting bribes in government offices and other positions of authority, their young men do all sort of illegal businesses, internet fraud and kidnapping so as to live the will of God, even their women are not left out, they engage in prostitution, and 'runs'.
The students among them indulge in examination malpractices covertly so as to have good results inorder to share testimonies in church of how god is faithful in their studies.
2. Grace overcomes all: since prosperity theologies are always centred on grace, the followers are made to believe that once they believe in one magical jesus christ that they are automatically redeemed unto eternal life in a heaven of eternal bliss. Now these people move about commiting all forms of atrocities since grace and christ are there to bear the burden. Unlike in the traditional african setting where they believe that when you comit an atrocity, you would have the gods of the land to face. People avoided immoral acts but same cant be said of my brethren who are promised a super grace.
Conclusion: since it's true that prosperity theology aids moral decadence in the society, it is safe to ask the new president to scrap all religious bodies that only center their messages on that.
Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by Onyiibazz: 11:27pm On May 30, 2015
Tocheagle:
Prosperity teaching has nothing to do with moral decadence. There are people who go to where they preach holi holi , yet they still have skeletons dancing sekem in their cupboard . Ask yourself one question, if everybody in the whole would was poor WOULD THE WORLD BE A BETTER PLACE ?
Not that your so called prosperity has helped the world in anyway. It was only created to make the world worse and to steal the poors' little from him promising him of non existent wealth. Whether prosperity or holi holi, i dont endorse any, i only made an observation about the former and i am voicing it out. I also have an opinion about the later, but that will a topic for another day!
Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by Onyiibazz: 11:43pm On May 30, 2015
indiraserv:
@ Op please what form of spirituality do you practice now?

Non for now, although tending towards atheism, but still has one or two things to be clearified. I still go to church on some days. Like i'll be doing tomorrow. Basically i'd be going there to play the guitar, yea am a guitarist, and a friend had invited me to his church. While there, i'll only be doing my job when it's needed. I wont parcipate in their prayers as i dont believe in prayers neither do i believe in miracles. There are a host of other things i believe, things not taught me by any spiritual book whatsoever but conclusions drawn from direct observations.
Re: How Prosperity Theology Has Increased Moral Decadence by cbravo2: 8:14am On May 29, 2017

(1) (Reply)

It's A Shame For A Christian To Be Die Hard Football/political Fanatic / My Stepsister Keeps Disturbing Me In My Dreams / Knowledge Is Power...acquire It By Reading.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.