Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. (1643 Views)

Lucifer Is Not Satan; Jehovah Not Allah / Esu Is Yeshua (jesus) - Scholastic Debate By Asar Imhotep / Esu Is Not Satan (must Watch Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by lawani: 2:09pm On May 31, 2016
How do people become evil? Prople become evil by losing balance, they become evil by veering off the narrow path. The narrow path is represented by adherence to the golden rule 'Do unto others what you want others to do unto you'. Be fair in your dealings with others. In other words 'Be rational'.

Every original human culture has a theology with stories that mention the entity representing balance and rationality. That entity in Yoruba theology is Esu, the Igbos call it Ekwensu which obviously is referring to thesame original entity known to a common ancestor group to both the Yoruba and Igbo ethnic groups. The theology of all human cultures mention thesame entity, not as an opposer of God but as a faithful servant and connection between man and God.

Esu is the force of balance that you need to remain rational. Esu is depicted as Onile orita in Yoruba, he who lives at the junction. We are always at junctions. Yes or No. Right or Left, wrong or right and etc. This makes Esu a very important orisa. The image of Esu is carved at the edge of an Ifa divination tray as the connection between the physical and spiritual plane.

Each of the 256 odu ifa has its own peculiar Esu. Everything is a balancing act and it is with Esu that we achieve balance. If we lose balance, Esu will also be the one to laugh us to scorn. A rational person has Esu as his or her ally while an irrational person will be tormented by Esu.

So, Esu is not the Biblical satan. The Biblical Satan who is an opposer or opponent of God, does not occur in original Earth theologies or spiritual practices. It is a perversion that occurs only in Abrahamic theologies.

Our ancestors named children after Esu, changed their names to a name that glorifies Esu. There was a prominent Oba Alaketu whose name was Esu. There were many people named Esu in Yoruba land before the incursion of Christianity and Islam. The descendants of those people are now gradually changing their names as a result of the kind of society we now live in.

As explained above, it can be seen that Esu in our theology is not evil, it represents balance, contemplation and etc. It is totally different from the concept of Satan. An orisa like Ogun represents courage, prosperity inducing innovation and etc. Osun is fertility, Obatala is good governance, Oya is division and etc. Most of which are also evident in lower animals but Esu is what makes us a higher specie since it helps us to be rational. Animals do not need as much as humans to be rational. They depend more on raw instincts.

So when Christians and Muslims say Esu is Satan, tell them Esu is not Satan. No Satan in normal human theologies.

REFERENCES

https://sites.google.com/site/theyo...

https://sites.google.com/site/theyo

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by JBismarck(m): 2:31pm On May 31, 2016
I think the mixup started when Samuel Ajayi Crowther wanted to interpret Bible to Yoruba, he substituted the concept of Satan with Esu, I guess for want of Appropriate concept. There was a prominent King of Lagos named Esugbayi Eleko in the early 20th century.

Obinoscopy, Mogidi, Seun and Lalasticlala please help spread this knowledge.
Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by Nobody: 2:34pm On May 31, 2016
Hmm... Baaaabaa oooo

So when Nollywood people say "Esu laalu ogiri okooooo" are they wrong or is esu a messenger that can do evil

Also, in my neighbourhood, we usually see sheep's head placed in calabash with red oil......

And people say "won be esu lowe"

Does that mean eshu is a messenger for evil or what??

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by Aremu01(m): 2:35pm On May 31, 2016
My GO would say whether you believe he exist or not doesn't stop him Infact he prefers ppl believing he doesn't exist
Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by lekkie073(m): 2:37pm On May 31, 2016
the Yoruba esu is d same deity as Hermes of Greek mythology...

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by PastorAIO: 5:28pm On May 31, 2016
JBismarck:
I think the mixup started when Samuel Ajayi Crowther wanted to interpret Bible to Yoruba, he substituted the concept of Satan with Esu, I guess for want of Appropriate concept. There was a prominent King of Lagos named Esugbayi Eleko in the early 20th century.

Satan = Elenini = Adversary
Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by heritage2009(m): 9:02pm On May 31, 2016
JBismarck:

For your information Samuel Ajayi yoruba Translation of the bible states "Satani" as Satan and not Esu.
Re: Yoruba Theology Has No Satan- Esu Is Not Satan. by otemanuduno: 9:36pm On May 31, 2016
Even in the DOCTRINE OF THE UFOS, both Eshu/Esu is separate from Satan/Satani

I quote the book of MOTUS 18: 1-35 where Faulkin(Jesus Christ) went to learn craftiness from Eshu after learning wisdom from many other gods like Zeusus(Dionysus son of Zeus) and Krishna(Krista, the founder of the first Kristanite in India)

DOCTUFOS:
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
1. in the land of Olorun in the continent of Murmoh, which was where Otem would be born, Eshu, who had been married to Osun in the flesh of Sango, did much magia. But Sango had left the land because he did not want Osun discover that she actually married Eshu, the crafty god.
2. Now Eshu had married two other wives, which were the daughters of goddesses. And the names of the two were Oba and Oya. But Oya was not his legitimate wife, because he did not pay any price on her.
3. Now Faulkin came to the land and met Eshu, saying, I seek for Eshu, the god whose fame has gotten far and wide. For I heard that he is very wise and crafty.
4. And Eshu said, I am the one you are looking for. Then Faulkin said, I know that you are a mere nephilim called Sango. But I am only here to see Eshu. And Eshu said, it is me. Tell no one, it is I indeed. Then Faulkin turned to his inner eye and saw Eshu in his real appearance.
5. Then did Faulkin bow and said, Eshu, the great god. I have heard of all your antics in the lands around Niger. Now I have come to learn from you. And Eshu said, you can dwell in my land for sometimes to learn. I shall teach you what you want, Faulkin, the son of a fish.
6. And Faulkin said, how did you know that is my name? Then Eshu said, you told me, but you did not know. When you came into my chamber, I asked you to everything about yourself and also your mission into that gourd over there and you did. Do you not know that I have divided my spirit into five, just like your father divided his spirit into seven, according to what I have heard.
7. Now the gourd you whispered into has one of my spirits in it. So as you spoke into it, everything you said did come directly into my soul. When Faulkin heard this, he was amazed at the wisdom of Eshu.
8. And Faulkin did as if he knew nothing, saying, but this trick is very great, O Eshu. I shall stay in your land for decades and learn from you. Then Eshu said, I shall not teach you anything except if you shall serve me.
9. Then Faulkin said, who am I not to serve you, O Eshu? My fathers are no more and I am defenceless. If not for the love of the gods for my mother, Earthus, they would have consumed me because of all the wicked deeds of my father. For they knew that if my mother is angered, she could pull out her force from the earth and the earth would become like the space.
10. Then Eshu said, if you shall be allowed to stay in my land as long as you wish, then you shall agree to bear my name henceforth. Then Faulkin said, how can that be possible? I have presented the name of El your brother before my people and they have known their God to be El. And I have also signed a treaty with El that Philistia his land shall not be destroyed at the return of my father. And he has permitted me to use his name continually.
11. Now how possible shall I present another name to them as the God who made heaven and earth? Then Eshu said, what name do they know you as? Then Faulkin said, I have presented Jehoshua to them as my name.
12. When Eshu heard it, he said, it is good O Faulkin. Now shall you go again to your land and give them another name. This shall replace your own name, Jehoshua. And I tell you, no one shall know this.
13. Then Faulkin said, what is that name you want me to bear. And Eshu said Now shall you remove all the letters in your name and retain only the first and the last letter. Then you shall put my name between them. By this shall you help to spread my name round the world.
14. Now when Jehoshua who was called also Yehoshua had done what Eshu requested of him, his name became Yeshua or Jeshua. And the name of the crafty god of the southwestern part of river Niger became fixed into his name.
15. And Faulkin began to bear Yeshua henceforth. And Faulkin learnt more craftiness from Eshu. And his wisdom increased so much.
16. Now Eshu, whom everyone thought to be Sango, had two powerful servants whom he had taught much magia. And he had also taught them the use of forces. And they had much power to do great things. Now Eshu did not know that Eliri had discovered his secrets. For Eliri had identified him to be Eshu and not Sango which everyone thought him to be.
17. Now when anyone needed a child, they would come to a river where Oshun, the wife of Eshu lived in. And they would request for child from her. Then Oshun would seek Eshu's assistance who would make them drink tepexes he had dissolved in water.
18. Now Eliri, one of the two powerful servants of Eshu, had discovered that the power of Eshu who was in the form of Sango, a mere nephilim, was not much compared to when he was in his own body. Then Eliri began to disobey the order of Eshu, because he knew that Eshu will not turn back to his original self, or else Oshun and the other two wives would leave him.
19. Now Faulkin had put the affair of his people into the hand of Caleb. For he was roaming every nation and every city to gather knowledge and culture. And Faulkin had learnt much more languages than that which his father had taught him.
20. He had also learnt much wise-sayings from all the scrolls he had obtained. Now Faulkin remained in the land of Olorun to learn. And he saw how the two servants of Eshu behaved themselves. Now the name of the other servant was Timi. He was a great archer who hardly missed his target.
21. And a time came when Eshu led a war against the people of Olorun. And his two warriors disobeyed him in the war such that he decided to punish them. Then Eshu listened to the advice of Oya and punished them both by sending them on exile in form of an errand.
22. For Eshu had said, go to the border of the land of Ede, which is not far from the dwellingplace of Olorun. Remain there and watch over the border. Then Eliri said, I shall go as you have said, but Timi said, I shall not go.
23. Now Eshu returned from where he had been and found Eliri around. Then he said, did you not say that you will go to the land where I sent you to? Why are you remaining here? Then Eliri said, I shall not go anymore.
24. Then Eshu said, where is Timi? He said he would not go. Then Eliri said, Timi has gone. It is better he goes alone.
22. Now Timi went to the land of exile as Eshu had ordered, but Eliri remained. Then Eshu cunningly sent Eliri to Ede also, saying, now shall I know which of you is more powerful. O Eliri, go now to Timi and see if you can capture him back here.
23. Now Eliri was glad, because Timi and himself had been waiting for such time when they would see who was more powerful. And Eliri obeyed Eshu and went to the land to capture Timi.
24. Now Eshu said to Faulkin after Eliri had left, Yeshua, do you know why I sent Eliri to capture Timi? Then Faulting replied no my lord. I wish to know why.
25. Then Eshu said, the two warriors are arrogant and I have been seeking opportunity to destroy them. But if I do that, the people shall say that I am weak. For when you destroy your enemy because you are scared that they will overthrow you someday, you shall be termed a coward.
26. Now let them destroy themselves with their own hands. For it is certain that both shall destroy themselves. After five days, Eliri arrived with Timi bound. Now Esu knew that the fight was not real, for the two also reasoned between themselves that Esau wanted them killed.
27. Now Eshu said, fight before me again and I shall know who of the two of you is more powerful. Then Eliri fought with Timi again, but they also pretended. And Eliri won Timi again, but did not kill him.
28. Now Eshu was angry that Eliri did not kill Timi, so he thought to kill Eliri himself, but the great stones which he had been using to start sparkles of fire had been hid by Eliri and was replaced with a stone of magia. Now when Eshu had set Eliri on that which he thought was fire, he was glad.
29. But Eliri had assured Eshu, saying, if you destroy my body, I shall resurrect in three days. Then Eshu said, we shall see. Then he set him on fire and packed his ashes, putting it in a bottle. But he did not know that he was using the stone of magia.
30. Now after three days, Eliri appeared from nowhere and demanded to take the throne of Eshu. Now Eshu was angry. And he thought to check out the stone again, to see if it was working. But Eliri had put the real stones back in there place.
31. Now when Eshu struck the stones together again, they produced sparkles and fire. Then was the house of Eshu burnt off completely. And when Eshu had done this, all his wives left to leave in the rivers.
32. And the river where Osun entered was called River Osun. And Oya entered the river Niger, which the people of Odua named Oba. And Oya entered the river Niger.
33. Now when Eshu had seen what was done, he went to lure the real Sango back to the land. And Sango came and was met with many who blamed him. Then he said, I do not know anything about this issue. I have never been married to Osun or Oya or Oba.
34. And when the people will not believe him who has been with them for many years, he went to a place and hanged himself, saying, I had rather die than to be ridiculed. Then some brought back news that he had hanged himself, but his followers refused to accept it. And they burnt up anyone who confessed as such.
35. Now Faulkin returned to his land, for he had seen how Eshu had caused much confusion in the land. And Faulkin presented himself to his people as Yeshua, according to his covenant with Eshu, who was also called Esu, the god who was very much crafty.

(1) (Reply)

Muslims, Christians, Pagans Cast Away Devils? Who Is This Devil? / What Is A Man? By Mark Twain / The Empty Tomb Is A Historical Fact Most Scholars Agree On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.