Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,537 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? (7608 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Tonyet1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 16, 2009
on the 11th of this month, i went to my bank (so called slogan "AFRICAN GLOBAL BANK"wink to check my bank account and to my amasement i discovered that the sum of #56,000 had been withdrawn from my account through my ATM machine,

1.  i did not reveal my pin to any other person as to know or gain access to my account

2.  it was the same week that i deposited some good sum of amount known personally to me that the so called made this whopping withdrawal

3.  this withdrawal was made twice that week in the sum of #28k each, my atm showed me

when i politely made this complaint to my banker here were some excuses he told me

1.  Guy you must have revealed your pin to someone else which i did not do

2.  maybe someone must have come to get your serial number and played with your e-account, which i dont have yet

later i went to my other from the so called "THE DYNAMIC BANK"  and here are some things he told me banks do that they wont reveal to anyone

1.  Banks have what they call hidden charges which they will never reveal to anyone, with that they could withdraw like crasy from your account

2.  Thieves steal from peoples account today disguised on suit and posing as bankers, you know what i mean

please lets share our worst experience with our banks,  lets try as much as possible not to call them by their names, use slogans if possible

thanks
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by shezy(f): 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2009
20,000 was withdrawn from my sister's account .the money was part of her school fees
they sent her a mail that 20,000 has being withdrawn from her account on a particular date
through her e-banking which she doesn't even know how to use talkless of having one
it was from this "happy customer happy bank"of a thing,
we are yet to pay her school fees and she just got admitted to unad.you know the implication if we don't pay when we where suppose to.she will forfit the admition God would help us
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by danedrol: 12:51pm On Feb 16, 2009
This is simply strange - If it does happen
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by clemcykul(f): 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2009
left for me, till 2morrow i love using my withdrawal slip, to save myself from this ATM pin insecurity and bullshit.

call me archaic? lol no stress.

the customer services in most banks, when you table your problems before them be rest assured that u gonna listen to some tutology and cock and bull stories, at the end of the day, you leave the bank feeling like throwing stones on the bankers and the bank building itself.

i have alot of experience but dont have enuf time to type grin grin[i] my hand dey pain me[/i]
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by BigStar1(m): 1:37pm On Feb 16, 2009
I think you shouldn't be suprised. We get many guys that do security stuffs. They break into banks, do some funny stuffs and all that.

So, don't be suprised. It's not your faults it's rather your banks shit.

I believe it's a skill that requires high IQ and research.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by quadrillio(m): 2:05pm On Feb 16, 2009
My account was credited two weeks after dropping my schedule.

I almost ran mad
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by sonate: 2:30pm On Feb 16, 2009
I opened an account with this river type of a bank with 20k. It took them 3 months to get references. When I asked for my statement they were very reluctant to release it. On getting the statement I discovered that #9,000 had been deducted . I thought it was a mistake. Upon enquiry I was told that it was for legal and search charges. In all my years of opening accont I've never heard of such astronomical amount deducted from a paltry sum of 20k. This is sheer robbery in the guise of banking. I wish there is a body who can save us from this roguery. I am still doing my investigation.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Tonyet1(m): 2:39pm On Feb 16, 2009
@sonate, very sorry o

bro would you be nice to help the public here to know a little glimpse of the bank in question so as to help us not to fall in the same trap? embarassed embarassed
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Toppiano(m): 2:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
I tot I was alone. I used an account during my service year, which I continued using after service. I did everything required to change it to normal savings account. Can you imagine that despite this, my balance is reducing at an increasing rate, all in the name of maintainance charges. In fact I stopped using the so called Africa Global Bank, because one may wake up and discover that your hard earned money is gone, without any reasonable excuse. After all these dem still get Financial Meltdown, shocked sad grin wink :DSomething has to be done fast  undecided
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by ajiriavae(f): 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
my bank, which means the top of something, charged me 3,500 four months after i opened my account for 'search'. when i asked the operations manager why, she told me it was to pay the lawyer who went to CAC in Abuja to make sure my company  is really registered. funny though, because every bank has a legal department and that is what the lawyers there are paid a salary to do. if i'm paying for the search, then why in heaven's name do you pay someone a salary to work in the department.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Toppiano(m): 3:32pm On Feb 16, 2009
Infact make we yarn name sef, shocked grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed My bank name na UBA, angry NA because of us dem dey, if we no dey dem no go dey. Call a spade a spade and a cutlass a cutlass grin
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by zesty: 3:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
Sorry.I am going to give names of banks and location to let them knw that there are zillions of problems with Nigerian banks

1) I paid in a cheque of 30k into Bank PHB(from a BankPHB to BankPHB cheque),Evo road opposite everyday supermarket.4 days later the cheque payment had not reflected.Even though that the cheque didnt go thru CBN clearing house.Not until my friend tried to cash the money from her acc 4 days later,they told her that there was insufficient funds in the acc.I had to go back with my deposit slip and showed them before we discovered that the "banker" that i paid the cheque to forgot to post.Even after 4 days!!

2) FCMB G.R.A. junction.My NYSC acc was domiciled with the bank on Ikwerre road.Just before our passing out,i enquired frm them if i culd stl withdraw my money frm the acc even after submitting my NYSC ID card,and they told me that as long as my picture and signature is scannedinto the system, i can always withdraw.2 weeks later,when i went to FCMB,G.R.A. juction,they told i culd nt withdraw my money because i was no longer a serving corper and i was insisting that it was my money and i was told otherwise,a "gentleman banker" sitting behind the payin cashiers barked out sayin "who told u that its ur money?if ure nt careful i will work u out of this bank"!!!!

3)Oceanic bank circular rd.I used their ATM machine and some funny looking N1,000 notes were dispensed to me.I went inside and asked one of the cashiers to pls check the note and found out that the machine dispensed counterfeit note to me.I had 2 threaten fire and brimstone b4 the cash officer (one very rude and patronizin lady) saw it fit to replace the money for me.

Really there are alot of crazy things that happen in banks that makes them look like certified thieves.Do you know that for a corporate acc that has online banking,BankPHB deducts the sum of N1,000 monthly just for having online access to your account?!!!!

So every month 1k out of the account.

These banks are just here to rip pple off their hard earned monies
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Aratunde(m): 4:04pm On Feb 16, 2009
One customer bank , money paid in on the 5th of the month, issued a check for part of the money on the 25th, the check bounced, money not enough to cover check.
went to the bank to fight it out, after much they apologised for their mistake for not crediting my account after 20 days. funny part, charges were deducted from my account for the transaction and fine for issuing a check that bounced. imagine

Opened an account with  "patnership that work" ,  applied for ATM card, received it after a year still to get the pin number to activate it. Manager promised to personally send it 18th december 2008. card expires august 2009. I'm still waiting for the text grin
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Tonyet1(m): 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2009
zesty:

Sorry.I am going to give names of banks and location to let them knw that there are zillions of problems with Nigerian banks

1) I paid in a cheque of 30k into Bank PHB(from a BankPHB to BankPHB cheque),Evo road opposite everyday supermarket.4 days later the cheque payment had not reflected.Even though that the cheque didnt go thru CBN clearing house.Not until my friend tried to cash the money from her acc 4 days later,they told her that there was insufficient funds in the acc.I had to go back with my deposit slip and showed them before we discovered that the "banker" that i paid the cheque to forgot to post.Even after 4 days!!

men this is very strange o, and you see them always business, but busy doing nothing

zesty:

2) FCMB G.R.A. junction.My NYSC acc was domiciled with the bank on Ikwerre road.Just before our passing out,i enquired frm them if i culd stl withdraw my money frm the acc even after submitting my NYSC ID card,and they told me that as long as my picture and signature is scannedinto the system, i can always withdraw.2 weeks later,when i went to FCMB,G.R.A. juction,they told i culd nt withdraw my money because i was no longer a serving corper and i was insisting that it was my money and i was told otherwise,a "gentleman banker" sitting behind the payin cashiers barked out sayin "who told u that its ur money?if ure nt careful i will work u out of this bank"!!!!

God have mercy, hmmm, i thought i am the only one who see them doing this, the most annoying part is that at first they tend to put up a smiling and friendly counternance as soon as the hold grip of your money, men you are on your own.

zesty:

3)Oceanic bank circular rd.I used their ATM machine and some funny looking N1,000 notes were dispensed to me.I went inside and asked one of the cashiers to pls check the note and found out that the machine dispensed counterfeit note to me.I had 2 threaten fire and brimstone b4 the cash officer (one very rude and patronizin lady) saw it fit to replace the money for me.

i dont really know this connection oceanic banks have with counterfeit money, my brother one time tried withdrawing some good amount from his account with this bank and the same was the case, if not for a friend we had with the bank we would have complained all in vain that day

zesty:

Really there are alot of crazy things that happen in banks that makes them look like certified thieves.Do you know that for a corporate acc that has online banking,BankPHB deducts the sum of N1,000 monthly just for having online access to your account?!!!!
So every month 1k out of the account.

These banks are just here to rip pple off their hard earned monies

with Bank PHB? God have mercy oh! shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2009
I could possibly take the side of the Nigerian Banks on this thread. I once worked as a Customer service officer in a bank, and also as an electronic banking officer, and I loved the job because it was carried out will all sense of integrity and it hurts me when I hear so much complaints from customers.

Let me try to give possible explanations to your complaints.

@ Poster, I am sure you have compromised your pin someway somehow. We had a case like dat in d bank where a lady came complaining about 200,000 taken from her account via ATM. She threatened all of us in d bank several times b4 she eventually found out that it was her husband that was responsible for that, she had once given her PIN to her husband.

The only possible event that it could be the fault of the bank is if another customer's card was mistakenly linked to your account from the beginning. The chances of this happening is very rare (about 1 in 100,000). In that case, the CSO (Customer Service Officer) can check this on the system b4 telling you that it is your fault of PIN compromise. If this is the case, your money will be refunded immediately while the bank tries to retrieve the same money from that other customer. So u could ask your CSO to check this.

@ shezy, ur sister must have withdrawn that money and she's forgotten, or one of her school friends knows her pin. We had several cases about this, I have seen several friends of customers using the friends ATM. Dats y we always stress never give ur PIN to any1, even ur Mama.

@ clemzy cool, the advantages of using your ATM over withdrawal slips are far much more that its inconveniences.

@ Rest of you, every Nigerian Bank charges for Legal Search when you open a Corporate account but the charges differ. So all you need to do is find out abt the prices and use the cheapest one if you want. U can count that as part of the expenses u incure for setting up a business.

More complaints pls!!! This is another way for me to say I miss my former job, and I can continue on Nairaland.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Tonyet1(m): 4:45pm On Feb 16, 2009
@ Mr. server34,

thank God someone from the banking sector could really come to our aid here and answer some questions

I m the poster, first of all, i want to categorically state that i have never revealed my pin or password to anyone whatsoever, it may surprise you to know that even my parents and friends dont even know if i have an atm card so how on planet earth could someone hack my password or pin if not a "spirit" so help me out here.

infact to d more precised,the name of the bank is UBA

and my cousin sister once complained likewise, same with my dad

i ask the question, why must they always gove the flimsy excuses that we have revealed our password or pin, "if some are foolish not everyone is"
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by zesty: 4:55pm On Feb 16, 2009
@server34.

hw do u explain the callousness by some banks staff as i gave concernin the cheque i paid into my friend's acc.as a former CSO u no dat if i pay a PHB cheque into a PHB acc,it reflects immediately not 4days(working days) later after i went 2 remind d person i paid 2.

i almost got d embarassment of a life time cos d cheque was a payment for wat i bought.my friend thought i was lyin wen i said i had paid in a cheque into d acc.

tell me,is it that the cashier was so engrossed in her big pay cheque that a "measly" 30k was notin?

Then hw do u explain the threat a fellow banker likeu tellin a customer that we will warrant him sayin "il walk u out of this bank"
cos i mean that day,i was really shocked wen i was told that i culdnt take my money.im sure its because i kept sayin "my money".abi the money no be my own??

pray tell.i have always wanted a medium 2 speak abt my greiviances
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by trigger(m): 4:59pm On Feb 16, 2009
@ Server 43,

thanks for your brief disposition, being a banker myself(not yet as lucky to be an 'ex-' as you), i find it distressing that customers are so fast to put the blame on banks most times when they have problems. true some may be due to errors and bad service but its good we are really sure of ourselves b4 we complain,

i am a fan of e-banking even b4 i became a banker and i have never had any problems. Information is key in this case as is always in banking. Customers should always ask questions about any product b4 using it, even before you open any account , try and know everything there is to know i.e. charges et al

thnx
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 5:03pm On Feb 16, 2009
@ tonye-t, when did this happen? I hope its still recent. Wat you can do is go to the bank, or send them a mail. Make them confirm to you that the withdrawal was via ATM. They can also check the card number on their system. If u are sure you did not make this withdrawal yourself, and nobody knows your PIN, am sure the card number will be different from that on ur card. Then they have no choice other than to refund your money. Then they can block that other card and sort out their issues with the other card holder.

I'd advise u to check on UBA website, they usually should have a customer care e-mail provided. Send an e-mail stating the exact branch where your account is located. Complaints are usually treated as urgent when it is laid from the head office (as in d e-mail provided on the website is usually attended to by head office staff). Head-office staff are usually more customer-centric than their branch colleagues because they have not been "frustrated" by the same customers.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by shezy(f): 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2009
server34:

the case, your money will be refunded immediately while the bank tries to retrieve the same money from that other customer. So u could ask your CSO to check this.

@ shezy, ur sister must have withdrawn that money and she's forgotten, or one of her school friends knows her pin. We had several cases about this, I have seen several friends of customers using the friends ATM. Dats y we always stress never give ur PIN to any1, even ur Mama.

we went their together, we where told that it was withdrawn from the internet through a card purchase by all this yahoo boys .
why can't they find solution to this?
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by UNLEASHED(m): 5:15pm On Feb 16, 2009
@ Poster
Is it a Cash card? If yes, guyz ve been scamming through cash card, doesn't really matter if they're granted physical access to your card, you'll just discover your money is gone!
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 5:18pm On Feb 16, 2009
zesty:

@server34.

hw do u explain the callousness by some banks staff as i gave concernin the cheque i paid into my friend's acc.as a former CSO u no dat if i pay a PHB cheque into a PHB acc,it reflects immediately not 4days(working days) later after i went 2 remind d person i paid 2.

i almost got d embarassment of a life time cos d cheque was a payment for wat i bought.my friend thought i was lyin wen i said i had paid in a cheque into d acc.

tell me,is it that the cashier was so engrossed in her big pay cheque that a "measly" 30k was notin?

Then hw do u explain the threat a fellow banker likeu tellin a customer that we will warrant him sayin "il walk u out of this bank"
cos i mean that day,i was really shocked wen i was told that i culdnt take my money.im sure its because i kept sayin "my money".abi the money no be my own??

pray tell.i have always wanted a medium 2 speak abt my greiviances

As for the cheque not being credited, that one is a personal thing, an error of ignorance on the part of the teller. You can blame dat guy for that, and not the entire bank. Believe me, that guy was probably given insults, bashings and querry at the end of the day because of ur case - dat is if u had complained to his "oga" too. They all try not too make those kinda mistakes, but u know - shit happens.

I dont know if ur bank PHB has this, but where I worked, we had this scroll teller who registers all cash and cheque deposits. Some banks usually ask the customers to do this themselves but they dont usually like to do this, they see it as waste of time. So I'd encourage u to always register ur cheques next time if ur bank has this register because it helps to reconcile accounts at the end of the day and correct errors like that.

As for d "I will work u out of the bank". Ha ba, dat banker no like him job oh. If na where I commot from, u get a querry for raising ur voice on a customer not to talk of making such a comment, na sack get u! So again, I dont know y dat would come out from a banker oh!

I apologize on his behalf anyway. Ha ha! Am having so much fun, keep it coming!
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by cvibe: 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2009
Server 34 and Trigger,

I haven't bothered to read through to find out which banks you guys work for, but if your banks have got UK branches, is that the same level of service dispensed in the UK branches?

Over to you.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by edmondo(m): 7:56pm On Feb 16, 2009
my bank phb acct was credited wit 40k and it took 96hrs b4 d acct culd reflet in my acct.imagine dat,i dont tink d bank knw wot dey called real time banking.na soso adv dem get.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 8:02pm On Feb 16, 2009
cvibe:

Server 34 and Trigger,

I haven't bordered  bothered to read through to find out which banks you guys work for, but if your banks have got UK branches, is that the same level of service dispensed in the UK branches?

Over to you.

Then pls bother to read through the posts b4 u start attacking my humble self. And pls rephrase ur question because I dont understand the level of service ur talking about.

Over to you.
edmondo:

my bank phb acct was credited wit 40k and it took 96hrs b4 d acct culd reflet in my acct.imagine dat,i dont tink d bank knw wot dey called real time banking.na soso adv dem get.

Na so so bank PHB una dey attack ni? Do u realise dat 96hrs is 4 days? Was it another bank's cheque dat was deposited into ur account?
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by javabeasns: 8:04pm On Feb 16, 2009
I thank God this Post came up. Most banks MD and top eggheads are corporate swindlers. I believe a regime will come soon to try them in Jesus name. The banking practice in Nigeria is based on fraudulent runs. Money laundering, circulation of stolen funds and defrauding of customers under various guises. From my experience and that of others i will give the following advice./
When opening an account, find out from the customer service or the manger if possible for hidden details about the acc.
 Ask from existing customers about the services of the bank render to them
 In the case of corporate account or loans consult a banking consultant and/or a lawyer to help out
 Don't sign to ANY document without FULL understanding of all the terms therein. Remember bankers are "corporate 419". The y use the law and your SIGNATURE to protect themselves.

Lastly ask GOD for direction. I day before Savannah bank closed, they still opened new acc. and collected deposits.
Beware of Oceanic, Zenith, UBA and Intercontinental in particular. They love the terms "hidden charges" and "variable rates"
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Outstrip(f): 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2009
server34 you have not addressed why two people here have received counterfeit money from A BANK. What excuse do you have for that. I know how crazy the system is in Nigeria. These banks are KNOWINGLY giving customers fake money and I say knowingly because there is no excuse on ths earth for a bank to "mistakenly" give out fake money on a consistent basis.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 16, 2009
Anybody banking with UBA  could face any of these troubles. I've seen several security flaws with that bank I can't count. So I'm not surprised some of you using UBA ATM cards have gotten your money stolen. It is not the banks that sometimes steal the money but people who have quickly noticed these flaws. I wonder why they employ incompetent staffs to take care of such delicate areas such as security.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 9:09pm On Feb 16, 2009
Outstrip:

server34 you have not addressed why two people here have received counterfeit money from A BANK. What excuse do you have for that. I know how crazy the system is in Nigeria. These banks are KNOWINGLY giving customers fake money and I say knowingly because there is no excuse on ths earth for a bank to "mistakenly" give out fake money on a consistent basis.

U are very wrong for using the term KNOWINGLY. Guess where some of the money that is put into d ATM comes from? From the customers.

U know what happens wen d ATM has so many hits, and is fast running out of cash (mint and clean notes from the CBN)? And at the same time, there is a lot of cash in d bank coming from traders and businessmen?

I'll tell u wat we do. We carefully sort out the neat notes from the cash deposits we receive from our customers to use for the ATM. It saves u d stress of waiting for the cash movers (bullion vans) and losing ur ATM customers. It also helps u reduce the amount of cash present in d bank for security reasons.

Guess How d sorting is done? There are no special machines yet for that, and it is done by hand. So all of the fake money came from the customers and not from the bank. And guess who bears the blame and pays for the fake money that a customer returns from the ATM? The same bank staff dat was responsible for sorting the money. And u know he is only human and possibly could miss spotting out 1 fake note from over 500,000 notes.

So again, u cant put the entire blame on the bank. And if any customer complains about a fake note, it is immediately replaced, the bank bearing the cost again.

And pls, to all of u that are using harsh words on me, take it easy oh. No be my papa get bank. I only worked there for about a year and some months, and moved on. I'm only here to share d wealth of experience I gathered for the benefit of banks' reputation. If u mention server34 in ur post again, Ma sepe fun eh oh.  smiley
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 9:12pm On Feb 16, 2009
sting_224:

I wonder why they employ incompetent staffs to take care of such delicate areas such as security.
Because that is what our Universities provide for the job market.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Outstrip(f): 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2009
Wow. So you mean apart from that special pen they use to write on currency there is no technology to detect fake currencies? In any case it is still the banks responsibility to make sure the customers are not receiving fake money. The burden is not that of the customers. Also are we not talking about Nigeria here. If you walk out of that bank with the fake money chances are you will not get your money back. You simply cannot prove it and the loss is all yours. I don't have time or energy to feel sorry for the banks. When the customers deposited their money it was not fake so they should not be worryng about getting fake money when they go to take it out
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2009
Outstrip:

Wow. So you mean apart from that special pen they use to write on currency there is no technology to detect fake currencies?
They use UV light to check. But again there's possibility of human error in using this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States / 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria / The Danger Of Borrowing Unclaimed Dividends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.