Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? (7629 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by server34(m): 11:18am On Feb 20, 2009
Superbrain:

Let's call a spade a spade. If you are not satisfied with the services of your bank, then opt for a better option. Don't remain stuck there and keep licking the wounds they would continously inflict on your financial life.
Gba!!! Better advice haven't been given!

I just think the services of GTB [/b]and [b]Intercontinental Bank, are the best you can ever get.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Tonyet1(m): 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2009
Superbrain:

3. The many others who charge unnecessarily on accounts and perpetrate other kinds of fraudulent acts on their supposed "esteemed" customers' account- OCEANIC, FCMB, [size=18pt]FIRST BANK[/size], ZENITH BANK, INTERCONTINENTAL BANK (their ATMs trap cash easily)

@superbrain,

my colleague, i must intrude a little here, on the issue of FIRSTBANK i strongly disagree with you, i have banked with them for like 8months counting and no day have i had a reason to complain

to me they are simply the best
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by seyeoba: 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2009
How about this: I was in Akure and i wanted to make a withdrawal from Wema Bank, So i went to the FUTA branch. When i got there, i noticed there was no banking activity going on, everyone was rather in a relaxed mood and some were even eating at the cashiers desk. When i asked if i could withdraw money, i was told "THERE IS NO LIGHT AND OUR GENERATOR IS BAD,PLEASE COME BACK WHEN POWER IS BACK". At first i couldnt believe my ears but i had to leave and thank God i had another account with another bank in town.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by yomitesp(m): 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2009
So homies , tell us , what is/are the best bank(s) ?
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by frag(m): 4:20pm On Feb 20, 2009
Nice one guys. The forum would eventually bring abt the changes we desire in the banking industry. I have 3 accounts.One with GTB and the 2 other are with some unbankable banks.I must tell you,i have never had a problem with the GTB. But for the others it has always been problems. As advised, please there is no need staying with any bank that is causing you pains. Move on and forget about the shit banks.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by yomitesp(m): 6:35pm On Feb 20, 2009
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get the bank card AND the PIN at these reputable banks you mentioned ?
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by oge4real(f): 7:37pm On Feb 20, 2009
I went to 3 different banks to assess my account using my ATM only to be told that my financial institution does not exist.30 mins later I got text messages saying that i have been debited ten thousand naira by each of the banks that did not even pay me.You can only imagine how i felt. angry angry
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 20, 2009
UNA DEY EVEN TRY TO REMEMBER ALL THIS NONSENSE BANK CLICHES SEF!
ANYWAQY, I WAN COLLECT LOAN FOR BANK-PHB. HOPE SAY DEM MAKE SENSE
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by hackney(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2009
Nigeria is like the devil's playground ; i knew there will be a time when banks will take your money and talk rubbish as explanation.
I hate everything that country stands for.
The only solution to nigeria is : NO NIGERIANS
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Kuljoe(m): 6:38pm On Feb 21, 2009
My worst experience wit a nigerian bank is gettin 2 d bank & hearin their server is down so i ad 2 wait 4 3 hrs b4 their server culd b put n place. D name of d bank is union bank, iju branch
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by clerc(m): 9:40pm On Feb 21, 2009
i had a friend in school who went to check is account balance last november at skye bank only to find out that 17k has been deducted from his account on geeting there they told us to come back 3 days later for statement of account. well the statement revealed that the money was used to buy some goods on the internet and up till now the bank has not refunded the money they are giving this excuse that the poster mentioned earlier.
[color=#006600][/color]No wonder MARIO PUZZO said men can steal more money in suits than a thousand men with guns and i guess this is true
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by clerc(m): 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2009
but i still think banks like GTB are still ok
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by onyx187(m): 12:03am On Feb 22, 2009
Bankers worldwide are considered one the greatest CONfidence men alive,Damn hustlers!!!
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by justin04(m): 9:44am On Feb 22, 2009
Union Bank is actually the worst bank of them all. From their unprofessional security guards, tellers, customer service representatives to management level. Come monday, I am closing my account with them. Not dealing with there bullcrap anymore. A visit to a Union Bank(Outdated Building, to outdated network and archaic banking services), will take you 2 hours at least with situation not resolved.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by hackney(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2009
Bank Clerks in owerri will advise you to fill in your western union money withdraw forms and tell you   ohh!! we could not process yours today, come back tomorrow.
then guess what has  happened to the money by the next day?
They themselves steal the money.
We are talking First bank here,not just any small-time bank.
Coupled with their hidden stealth charges; no wonder they can afford to give N10m car loans (UBA).
Previously thought these banks were pulling their weights on the global banking scene but have just learnt the truth on this thread;always knew that they
weren't that hard working or ingenious (except in wayo).
Thanks jare for enlightening us on their greedy wiles.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by ochallo: 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2009
banks that have very unfriendly/hidden charges:
1.UBA
2.Zenith
3.Oceanic

banks with moderate charges.
1.Finbank
2.Unity bank
3.Stanbic IBTC.

ATm scams are very rampant this days but it is not from the bank,it is mostly due to equipment error,e-fraud by technocentic fraudsters, don't keep all your money in an ATm accessible account, know your account officers and invest greatly. T
he choice is yours.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by kbone(m): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2009
God bless Gtbank, 3 years and running with no problems plus im using mastercard, online banking, atms etc.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by cabali(m): 4:26am On Feb 25, 2009
Whenever anyone i know has an issue with any particular bank, what I help them do is advise them to send a maill to all the leaders that be in the bank; most banks have that mailing list on their website and 10 out of 10 times, their phones start ringing off the hook in at most 36hrs.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by cabali(m): 4:27am On Feb 25, 2009
I think GTB is the best bank myself
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 25, 2009
Well! I have come to d realization that co-relationship hardly exist in , btwn our dear Nigerian Banks. For me i have decided to taste and experience the services of each every bank in 9ja to help know which one i can stick to. I noticed that some of these so-called bankers are EduCATed Armed Ròbbêr$. Somthing happend of recent at a Mortgage bank in one f the states in 9ja, a guy-banker was relieved of his job because he was caught making withdrawals from people's acct with huge sum in it. (i sorry 4 some illiterate BiG MEn). I just can't start leasting my several xperiences with banks i've come across with, e.G. U.B.A. Is a stinking Bank., i'll continue my episode later,
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by sleekdoc: 12:10am On Feb 26, 2009
Iv noticed people dont talk much about Skye bank, that is one very sweet bank, i mean its a really good bank and i plan to grow old with them. Gtb is also very good, intercontinental,standard chartered fair, ALL the others are POOR!
Zenith would have been ok too, but i have a feeling (i'm serious about this) that they actually train their staff on how to be rude and nasty to their customers, any corner of Nigeria you go to, its the same, its a very very bad bank, i wonder how they still have any customers or make any money, i have COUNTLESS encounters with them,its futile trying to enumerate them,in different branches all over the country,its really bad indeed.
U.B.A is very inefficient and they have ridiculous charges, i wont advise anybody to bank with them. ALL other banks are just POOR!
Q.E.D.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Hesperus(m): 12:33am On Feb 26, 2009
justin04:

Union Bank is actually the worst bank of them all. From their unprofessional security guards, tellers, customer service representatives to management level. Come monday, I am closing my account with them. Not dealing with there bullcrap anymore. A visit to a Union Bank(Outdated Building, to outdated network and archaic banking services), will take you 2 hours at least with situation not resolved.

INfact, I had been waiting for someone to mention this bank. I think UNION and UBA share the award for the WORST banks ever!

I was based on the island in Nigeria, and I think UNION BANK Awolowo rd and Chevron Lekki branches are totally crap. Always the same issue - server down. Seems their server is mostly down than up, lol! I dreaded cashing cheques there, waiting endlessly for them to "confirm" signature before paying. Once, one of their staff even had the effontery to question me about what the money was for before paying me!

The nonsense we have to put up with in Naija, all in the name of banking.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Druss(m): 7:28am On Feb 26, 2009
Nigerian Banks are backwards compared to their counter parts in the Western World. Before I came back to Nigeria I had never used a cheque book!! YES NEVER!! All I needed to do even with ordinary 20 dollars or 5 pounds in my account, walk into their with my bank card - they look up my account - ask me to sign in some places and give me the money even though it is one pound withdrawal. Nigerian BANKS!! CHEII!! To withdraw na to use cheque books - cheque books - even if na ordinary 400 naira!! I wasnt impressed!! NOT AT ALL!!!

Secondly their offices and staff - I have never seen a more disgusting industry with their attitude to customers, Sorry bankers - if you dont retain customers emmm - how you gonna make money. Lets forget the hidden charges and exorbitant interest rates, Lets forget you have no sense of information security. I mean I walk into a bank and everyone and their mama - including the security guy knows how much I earn - all because I asked for a full statement of account (this one na anoda stori) - you think my security instincts wont go off - you think I will return to that branch - AM I MAD? Of course I moved all the money to another account!! grin

Thirdly the way they treat their staff - Some banks are good - Some are horrible - ACCESS!! CHEI!! Now what is annoying is that this bloody staff now take out on the customers. And I still dont understand why bankers finish work at 8 consistently!! I dont get it!! Marketing has gotten so bad - Nowadays when you see a fine lady and she says she is a marketer for a bank - your mind automatically thinks - o o!! - I have had some - married, even pregnant (telling me I can spank her from front or back) - throw themselves!! WHY!! You dont need to get that immoral to sell your stuff unless you are trying to chase one aristo and even then most aristos say they dont really the girl to!!

Fourth - This is one of the threads where I have seen a banker in their 'attempt' to defend their industry - make a bigger idiot of the issues. If one person tells you your house is on fire - you can call them a liar - However when 100 peeps tell you and you are still in the house calling them a liar - you know what you are!!

Thanks - Rant over,
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by question(m): 10:56am On Feb 26, 2009
FROM THE DESK PROFESSOR. CHUKWUMA C.SOLUDO
EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR, CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)
DIRECT LINE: 234-8060276684
OUR REF: CBN/OHG/OXD1/2008
YOUR REF:,
TELEX: CENBANK.
PAYMENT FILE: CBN/BEN/08.

Attention: Beneficiary,

PAYMENT NOTICE OF YOUR FUNDS

My name is Professor. Chukwuma C. Soludo the Executive Governor Of The
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Executive Chairman of "E.C.D.R".I
discovered that your name and email address (in the Central Computer
among the list of unpaid contractors, inheritance next of kin that was
originated from Africa ( Nigerian Government) Europe, Asia Plus Middle
east, Americans) among the list of individuals and companies that your
unpaid fund has been located to a suspense account.

Your name appeared among the beneficiaries who will receive a
part-payment of $100.000.000 million (Hundred Million Dollars) and has
been approved already for Payment. yesterday two foreigners (Mr. Tim
Parker and Mr. Rowland Gulf) visited my office in your stead to inform me
that they are your representatives from United State, whom you send to
collect your Funds for you.

We in this Bank do not understand why you sent these men to come and
Collect your Funds on your behalf.

If actually you want them to help you Collect your Inheritance Bill Sum,
at least you should have informed me as the Executive Governor of this
Bank. They actually tendered some Vital Documents which Proved that you
actually sent them for the Collection of this Funds.

Honestly,it really baffles me that you took such decision without my
consent. Here are the Document which they tendered to this Bank today:

1. LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION.
2. HIGH COURT INJUNCTION.
3. ORDER TO RELEASE.

Actually, these Documents which they tendered to this Noble Bank is a
clear proof that you sent them to Collect this Funds for you. Finally, I
told them to come back tomorrow morning and they promised to come back.
As the Governor of this Noble Bank, I was supposed to Release this Funds
to them but I refused to do so because I wanted to hear from you first.
Due to the Nature of my job, I will not want to make any mistake in
Releasing this Funds to anyone except you whom is the Recognized
Beneficiary to this Funds.

Kindly clarify us on this issue before we make this payment to these
foreigners whom came on your behalf.

In receipt of this confidential Letter,you are required to call OR e-mail
this Bank via this email remmittance.department@hotmail.com immediately
you receive this Confidential Letter.

Contact Us Via This Information Below:

Email:remmittance.department@hotmail.com
Phone+234-8060276684

OFFICIALLY SIGNED.
PROF. CHUKWUMA C SOLUDO.
GOVERNOR CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA.
I got this email from Soludo this morning. Na wa o.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by question(m): 12:06pm On Feb 26, 2009
On a serious note is there any ZENITH BANK staff in Nairaland?

Please kindly explain to me the meaning of "debit interest charge" ?
I have had this charge 2 times now (in Jan'09 and feb'09) on my dom account without any cause.

Is this some kind of daylight robbery?

Please if let the explanation be accurate and not speculation.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by lakenz(m): 6:47pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ladies and Gents,

If you are so passionate about eliminating the imbalance of power relations between Consumers and producers of goods and services such as these banks, join me at   http://consumerforumng.com/index.php?topic=37.0

Together we can make this happen for real.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by EyenEfik(f): 6:54pm On Feb 26, 2009
Customer service is zero, rude cashiers, they act like they are doing you a favour even though it's your money you want to withdraw,
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by KoolEmcee: 2:40am On Feb 28, 2009
@question:

Though I don't work in Zenith, i happen to know what they mean by 'debit interest charge'. It means that for the duration of ur account being in debit, a specified interest rate would be charged on your account.

@everyone:

The truth is that in 9ja, customer service is generally CRAP, so most banks are no exceptions. In western countries, the customer is king, but here the customer stinks.

It beats my imagination to realise that some of these big new gen banks still have link issues. I mean, in these times when we have a lot of telecoms companies around, with reliable infrastructure n backbone, why can't these banks spend money to ensure there aren't hitches in the IT system.

Soludo shouldn't just stop at capitalisation as the main benchmark. i feel customer service delivery, IT capabilities, amongst others should come on board, and anybody that doesn't meet them should b shut down, that would probably make the banks wake up (At least it workeed with the capitalisation scare) grin cool
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by question(m): 9:16am On Feb 28, 2009
KoolEmcee:

@question:

Though I don't work in Zenith, i happen to know what they mean by 'debit interest charge'. It means that for the duration of ur account being in debit, a specified interest rate would be charged on your account.
grin cool
@ Kool, Zenith bank will never allow this account to exceed its allowable debit balance.
This debit interest charge happened without explanation in January. And again in February.

I am just very very curious. Cos I have been using this account for over 15months and it had never happened before.

Maybe they introduced a new kind of charge this year.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by KoolEmcee: 12:16am On Mar 02, 2009
@question:

The truth is that the IT systems of most of these banks are in disarray. I have seen a case where a customer has a lot of money in his account, and on his account statement he sees a figure less than fifty naira (N 50). Sometimes these charges could be mistakes, but they leave it at that and do not reverse it, until probably the customer complains and threatens fire and brimstone. There's no disputing the fact that there are a lot of irregularities and the whole system needs to be revamped.

In your case, i'll suggest you go and discuss with your account/relationship officer. You have a right to know why you were charged, and why you were not informed of the charges while opening the account. You could 'threaten' a legal action if the situation demands.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by Hypechic(f): 5:10pm On Mar 04, 2009
I won't say I've had a 'worst' experience with any Nigerian bank. However, I've had some unsavory experiences with some of them. I abandoned my account in UBA because of their bad attitude. Recently, I had to make an international fund transfer from GTB, the customer service girl asked if I wanted the receipient to receive the exact amount I had filled in on the form, after I said yes, I was told I had to add some extra money for 'offshore charges', in addition to the normal charges which would be deducted from my account. I wasn't happy(extra gbese) but I added the money.

Imagine my surprise when the recipient called me to say that the money was short $55. The only explanation I was given by the bank (from GTConnect in Lagos where customer service in PH transferred me to) was that since they used other banks in the transfer process, then maybe those banks had deducted a charge for their services. My annoyance is the fact that GTB has been doing fund transfers, if their partner banks deduct charges, is it a new thing? Why couldn't they have told me in the first place so that if I couldn't manage the whole thing, I'd find an alternative. They just ended up creating additional stress for me especially with the current USD/Naira issue.

Anyway, we need the banks, if not they'd go out of business. Na God dey save person.
Re: What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks? by ibadanchap: 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2009
For those adding Intercontinental Bank Plc to the lists of good banks, i think you should remove them from the list. Last week they deducted 2,500 naira from my current accounts and 200 naira from my IPSA account with them. After much complaint, i was told these were account maintainance charges. I dont understand when current accounts that have COT deducted must now have account maintainance charge as if they are phcn meters.

i guess the deductions were made to boost their income as their financial year ended feb 28. I believe they should have given a notice, and then allow us to move our accounts if we are not ok. rather than an unauthorized debit.

If you use IB Plc go check your account ooo. As far as i'm concerned, the bank is a thief (what do you call someone who takes your money by force?). They did the same thing a while back with atm charges.

GT Bank, here i come. GT have rave reviews, nairaland and elsewhere

Does this debit signify that IB is cash strapped?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Making Solar Panels In Nigeria (Pls Four Big Thinkers Only) / BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling / CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.