Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) (3717 Views)

Dress The Way You Want To Be Addressed - Anita Joseph As She Covers Up / Steph-Nora Okere: "I Am Married To Jesus" / Is Dis Lady Taking A Swipe At Chiamanda Adichie,read Wat She Has 2 Say About Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 7:38am On May 31, 2015
Renowned writer, Chimamanda Adichie, although married to her US based Doctor husband, Dr. Ivara Esegee, in a recent interview insists she wants to be addressed as Miss and not Mrs.

Chimamanda Adichie and her husband, Dr. Ivara Esegee

Excerpts

Mrs Chimamanda Adichie, welcome back to Nigeria…

Before we start, please, I just want to say that my name is Chimamanda Adichie. That’s how I want it; that’s how I’m ad-dressed, and it is not Mrs but Miss.  Ms: that’s how I want it. I am saying this, because I just got a mail from my manager this morning. It seems that there are people who attended the church service, and they wrote about it, addressing me as Mrs. Chimamanda (Esega). I didn’t like that at all. So my name is Chimamanda Adichie, full stop.

You mean?

This is because it is also responsible that people be called what they want to be called.

You started by telling me that you’re not “Mrs.”

(cuts in) My name is Chimamada Adichie. If you want to put label for me, put Ms.

But people know that you’re married. As an Igbo girl, you know our culture

(Cuts in again) What does our culture do? Let me tell you about our culture. This thing that you are calling our culture –that when you marry somebody, you’ll start calling her Mrs. Somebody –is not our culture; it is Western culture. If you want to talk about our culture, you need to go to people in real Igbo land. But it is true. My grandfather’s name is David. His name is also Nwoye. They call him Nwoye Omeni. Omeni was his mother. You know why? It is to help distinguish him, because there are often many wives. So, it was his mother that they used to identify him. They know that all of these people came from the same compound, but whose child is this one. You may go and ask people who is Nwoye Omeni, and they’ll tell you it is my grandfather. So, conversation about culture is a long one. I don’t even want to have it.

But, at what point would you change your name?

Yes; because it’s all fused. You cannot then come and impose something on somebody. Nobody should come and impose something on somebody, because, if you come and tell me it is our culture, I’ll tell you it is not our culture. Where do you want to start counting? Do you want to start counting in 1920, or do you want us to start counting from 1870?

But culture is dynamic
Exactly my point, which is why this is new. If culture is dynamic, you cannot use it as conservative tool. We cannot then say it has to be this because it is our culture.  My point is that it is a new thing. Things are changing. We live in a world now where women have a right to bear the name they want. So, we cannot say this is how we do it. If some women want to do it that way, that’s fine! God bless them. Some women won’t do it. I am one of those women, and nobody will come to use culture to tell me that I should do what I don’t want to do.
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Cutehector(m): 7:40am On May 31, 2015
Nw where are all those fools dat say she is happily married to a reasonable man.. He is weak for christ sake!

10 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by indiraserv: 7:44am On May 31, 2015
They clearly have an understanding....Don't forget also that her name is and has become her brand.
She can't start changing it anyhow...
Chimamanda Esegee doesn't even sound as cool as Adichie

4 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 7:51am On May 31, 2015
indiraserv:
They clearly have an understanding....Don't forget also that her name is and has become her brand.
She can't start changing it anyhow...
Chimamanda Esegee doesn't even sound as cool as Adichie

It's not about name sounding cool my dear..its just her feminist nature.
She as an advocate for equality amongst genders..so she so wish people marry and retain their identity if they so wish...

I guess she is been real 2 what is craves for cool

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by martyns303(m): 8:07am On May 31, 2015
Why is she sounding so aggressive? It is the norm, social and practical thing that when a woman gets married she becomes Mrs.

If she says she doesn't want to take her husband's name because of her brand, it is understandable, a lot of women I know in the UK do not take up their husbands name due to some paperwork and other complications it is nothing new.

But the way this woman is going about hers is something else. Let her chill, there are women who have achieved more and still changed their surname.

No one is forcing Anjelina Jolie to change her name.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Nobody: 8:32am On May 31, 2015
She sounded combative. okay, since culture is flexible to be twisted at will and gender equality is the new "church", abeg tell our sisters to start paying "groom price" of brothers. and make sisters dey share belly bros...
I wala anya too much

3 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 8:43am On May 31, 2015
martyns303:
Why is she sounding so aggressive? It is the norm, social and practical thing that when a woman gets married she becomes Mrs.

If she says she doesn't want to take her husband's name because of her brand, it is understandable, a lot of women I know in the UK do not take up their husbands name due to some paperwork and other complications it is nothing new.

But the way this woman is going about hers is something else. Let her chill, there are women who have achieved more and still changed their surname.

No one is forcing Anjelina Jolie to change her name.

Lol...different stroke for different folk
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ogawisdom(m): 8:57am On May 31, 2015
Op d lady is a hardcore feminist am surprised she is even married. She is indirectly telling u d marriage won't last n shldnt b acknowledged as she would soon move on. She may even b in a contract or open marriage

2 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by saxwizard(m): 10:56am On May 31, 2015
ur choice miss
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Nobody: 11:20am On May 31, 2015
Why shouldn't she sound defensive? It is only in Nigeria that someone argues with you on how you should addressed.
Very double standard when it comes to culture. One minute they say "it is our culture " and the next minute they say culture is dynamic.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by toyeoye(m): 11:38am On May 31, 2015
.. Forget the "norms", enjoy your life.
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Biim: 12:05pm On May 31, 2015
Op where is your source? I doubt she was interviewed, go through her interviews and articles and note the difference, she doesn't speak I come I go English grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Humblebloke(m): 12:19pm On May 31, 2015
I love this biatch!!!
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 31, 2015
Seems she is taking this feminist agenda too far undecided

Anyway, source?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by rubyradiance(f): 12:41pm On May 31, 2015
This woman should get over herself,if she doesn't want her husband's name because of her brand it's understandable but so many women are attaining great heights with their husband's name e.g hillary Clinton..she doesn't have to be so aggressive in her response to the reporter"s questions, it's insulting & disrespectful to her husband in my opinion

3 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 1:04pm On May 31, 2015
Biim:
Op where is your source? I doubt she was interviewed, go through her interviews and articles and note the difference, she doesn't speak I come I go English grin grin grin

I doubt if u really know her nor her works...she is always as simple as it comes.,when it comes 2 d use of grammar..

To clarify you better..she used these words herself....she could be a feminist. fine!!...@ least she has a voice & would be heard
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by hahn(m): 1:07pm On May 31, 2015
Biim:

I thought I was the only one that noticed. Someone is trying to paint her and her views in a bad way

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by hensben(m): 2:18pm On May 31, 2015
This is getting out of hand

True true na so craze dey start. undecided

Feminism is not good for women or men as it forces more and more men into terrible social positions making it difficult to get jobs, have families, seek help, or even live in peace. Women have also started to suffer at the hands of feminism as they are pushed into roles they do not want to fulfill and are confused as to why men are suffering and in turn not supporting or helping them the way they used to. Many women want to be women and many men want to be men but feminism has robbed them of this. (Western world experience).

2 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by tomy5: 2:55pm On May 31, 2015
If she want to keep her name she has the right since she is more enlighten than are mother and grandmother.But will like to see the name she uses for her children that if she eventually has one.
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 3:44pm On May 31, 2015
Truth be said....we choose 2 take culture in its totality rather than tapping on those ones that makes one happy and good in d sight of man and God..

If we all see ourselves 1st as Human before all this 'woman' or 'man' statues rather than just sex., we will unconsciously or naturally av no problem with some1 wanting 2 retain a name that she is most comfortable with..
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by dubylhover(m): 3:50pm On May 31, 2015
make i book space first
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Biim: 4:15pm On May 31, 2015
ikescope:

I doubt if u really know her nor her works...she is always as simple as it comes.,when it comes 2 d use of grammar..

To clarify you better..she used these words herself....she could be a feminist. fine!!...@ least she has a voice & would be heard
I know her works well but the grammar is not hers, she uses simple but good english, she is a feminist agreed she could say stuff like that but mehn! The words aren't hers, check am well nah
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Biim: 4:28pm On May 31, 2015
hahn:

I thought I was the only one that noticed. Someone is trying to paint her and her views in a bad way
who ever that asked those questions answered them himself, her views sometimes are different but she is good at giving detailed explanations, I tell you if she really did the interview people won't attack her this much cos they will get her point.
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by ikescope: 4:32pm On May 31, 2015
Biim:
I know her works well but the grammar is not hers, she uses simple but good english, she is a feminist agreed she could say stuff like that but mehn! The words aren't hers, check am well nah

What more can I say?....okay!!!..choose 2 believe what u want to smiley

@least that helps 2 avoid unnecessary argument cool
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by lilmax(m): 4:53pm On May 31, 2015
Her husband is a WEAKLING,i am not surprised cheesy ,always angry as if na her fault say she be woman
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by iykedare(m): 5:06pm On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
Nw where are all those fools dat say she is happily married to a reasonable man.. He is weak for christ sake!

Chai,this is what happens when you marry a weak man with a weak dick.

What really is this girl's problem? What has she achieved that is greater than what the likes of Mrs Beyonce carter, Mrs hilliary Clinton and Mrs Obama have achieved.

Her head too strong. She for try marry a Naija guy na. Well, if she were to be in Naija,she for Don die of singleness sef.

Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Biim: 5:11pm On May 31, 2015
ikescope:

What more can I say?....okay!!!..choose 2 believe what u want to smiley

@least that helps 2 avoid unnecessary argument cool
cool
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by wheesin(m): 5:24pm On May 31, 2015
all this so-called feminist...only God knows what they are fighting for .. If my wife tries this rubbish(God knows she wont even dare) ..she should get ready to go back to her fathers house angry...my surname is my identity.. To show i married her, she didnt marry me

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by 1Cor10vs26(m): 5:30pm On May 31, 2015
I just hate this girl, I don't know why but I hate her
Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by axortedbabe(f): 6:13pm On May 31, 2015
Feminist to d extreme,not so cool

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by Jennydoris(f): 10:45pm On May 31, 2015
Good for her.

I cannot imagine getting married without changing to my husband's name. His name my name, his name my identity, his name my pride of being married. I can't wait to change mine.

I wonder the surname that their kids will bear or bearing at the moment? undecided

1 Like

Re: I Am Married But Would Prefer To Be Addressed As Miss Chiamanda Adichie(reasons) by kemifunke: 11:06am On Jun 01, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Checkout Adorable Photos Of Actress Chacha Eke And Her Cute Daughter / Love Up Photo Of Tobi And Alex At Their Homecoming Party / #bbnaija: After A Long Time Apart, Tobi And Alex Reunite In A Sweet Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.