Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Car Not Communicating With Scanners. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Not Communicating With Scanners. (2780 Views)

Car Not Accelerating Fast / Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? / Vibrating Car (not Engine Seating) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by Nobody: 8:50am On May 31, 2015
Having benefitted from this forum in the past when my Rav4 had issues, I want your advice on this recent development.
My Accord 2008 has 5 lights on the dashboard ; Check Engine, ABS, VSA, Brake and Airbag. I've tried to scan it 3x with 3 different scanners but the technicians come back to tell me that the car is not communicating with the scanner on scanning asides the check engine which is caused by the oxygen sensor. The vehicle runs fine, the braking hasn't changed, but the airbag light on the dash does not light up and the seat belt alarm doesn't go on while driving with belts off. Any ideas please?
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by lonelydora: 9:44am On May 31, 2015
Which scanner did your mechanic use to diagnose? You may need a higher scanner like the Launch X431. It scans everything including braking system and so on.

Most likely, the "Check Engine" is triggered by the O2 sensor or catalyst Converter. But still run a scan to be sure.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by jodeci(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2015
mykl01:
Having benefitted from this forum in the past when my Rav4 had issues, I want your advice on this recent development.
My Accord 2008 has 5 lights on the dashboard ; Check Engine, ABS, VSA, Brake and Airbag. I've tried to scan it 3x with 3 different scanners but the technicians come back to tell me that the car is not communicating with the scanner on scanning asides the check engine which is caused by the oxygen sensor. The vehicle runs fine, the braking hasn't changed, but the airbag light on the dash does not light up and the seat belt alarm doesn't go on while driving with belts off. Any ideas please?

you have a broken fuse,that is why the car is not communicating with the scanners,use avometer and test your fuses.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by TUDEXautoCARE(m): 8:31pm On May 31, 2015
Having tried 3 different SCANNERS WITH NO COMMUNICATION, Being an Honda Accord 2008. These are what your technicians needs to check @ the OBD 2 DLC PORT. where the Scanner is plugged in to communicate with the Control Units.
At least 4-5 WIRES ARE must be present at the DLC ( DATA LINK CONNECTOR) port out which +ve battery power is supposed to be there, Another power with Ignition ON, another one which must be present is the -ve negative, The other that needs to be present is or are CAN Hi and CAN Lo ( These are the Communication Area Network Line) which are determined by tge manufacturer. In most cases there is always open circuit or short circuit in tge harness. Let your Auto-Electrician check for the presence if those wires at tge DLC and also check the fuses.
For more HELP CALL
TUNDE : ON 08061183339

2 Likes

Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by chukel(m): 9:43pm On May 31, 2015
u have a bad fuse. ur obd fuse is bad. replace it and u r good to go
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 31, 2015
But the Cigarette Lighter port is working... at least it charges my phone, and I hear they share the same fuse. Secondly, the scanner reads the faulty catalytic converter and posts the code meaning that it communicates with the engine section, but nothing on the other faulty lights.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by Digriz(m): 12:47am On Jun 01, 2015
My car is 1996 model and obd2 scanners can only diagnose vehicles from 1996 up which my car is included. But the irony is that the obd2 scanner I bought was able to communicate wt my transmission, Abs and airbags but couldn't communicate wt the engine. I searched throughout Google for solution but no definite answer bt the closest I got was that some 1996 vehicle mostly Europeans were not Obd2 compliant even though they were manufactured in 1996.
What I did was to buy the software type of obd which comprises the obd1 & ob2 and that was how I got my vehicle engine scanned.
I have to reply you due to the similarity of the issue as regards not communicating with some sections of ur vehicle. Up till now I cnt still understand how some sections of my vehicle could be obd1 and other obd2 compliant where as the communication to the scanner originated from the ECU.
You can try with the software type( with laptop) b4 the fuse issue.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by Lexusgs430: 12:54am On Jun 01, 2015
With the VSA, you probably need a VSA assembly modulator, not a cheap part @ all.
Airbag - Was the light on before you purchased the vehicle or did you have an accident?
ABS module is faulty or sensors bad.
Check engine - could be your oxygen sensors
Brakes - Either brake pads are running low or low brake fluid.
Could be other complex issues, but this would be my 1st port of call.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by abatically(m): 4:47am On Jun 01, 2015
mykl01:
But the Cigarette Lighter port is working... at least it charges my phone, and I hear they share the same fuse. Secondly, the scanner reads the faulty catalytic converter and posts the code meaning that it communicates with the engine section, but nothing on the other faulty lights.

If u are using a simple scanner like elm327, then it can only read codes on engine and transmission. For abs, airbag, etc u are going to need a more advanced scanner. Since scanner communicates with the engine then there's nothing wrong with ur obd ii port.
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28am On Jun 01, 2015
Op if you are in lagos come for a free scan. 08023251039
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 01, 2015
I don't know Lagos well my brother, but I work in Bonny Camp. If it's a portable scanner and the price is good, ican it be done in the office?
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by depair: 1:46pm On Jun 01, 2015
Hello Gazzuzz pls can I come for a free scan of toyota camry 2000. Where is your location and when
God bless you
Re: Car Not Communicating With Scanners. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2015
depair:
Hello Gazzuzz pls can I come for a free scan of toyota camry 2000. Where is your location and when
God bless you
signature. 08023251039

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Built A Car That Runs Both On Land And Sea (aqua-car) / Photo: Can You Put This Car Picture In The Correct Order? / Toyota Avalon Transmission Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.