Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,808 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline (36031 Views)

Osinbajo Faces Tough Times In Aso Rock - NewTelegraphOnline / 2019: Nine Governors To Leave APC - NewTelegraphOnline / Ex-president Jonathan’s Aide Returns N1.5bn Loot To FG - Newtelegraphonline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by KEVIND: 8:32am On Jun 02, 2015
President in dilemma as North insists on producing SGF, NSA, CoS

Three days after his inauguration, President Muhammadu Buhari has not been able to make key appointments due to a crisis of confidence that has pitted him against power blocs in the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). This has made the National Coordinator of the Concerned Northern Professional Forum (CNPF), Dr. Mohammed Junaid, to accuse a section of the APC leadership of trying to arm-twist Buhari to make some appointments against his wish. He accused the APC of trying to use zoning to hold Buhari captive, saying resorting to allotting positions on zonal basis is inimical to good governance.

The president, which on Sunday named Managing Director, Sun Newspapers, Mr. Femi Adesina and head of media of his campaign organisation, Mallam Garba Shehu, as spokesmen, is yet to unveil names of Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chief of Staff, among others.

But New Telegraph learnt that intense pressure, as well as insistence on certain government positions from intra-party and regional power blocs, might have stalled further announcements of sensitive appointments by Buhari. “There is more to what you think, the president is not keeping the party guessing, rather, a brewing cold war has to be stemmed from getting out of hand”, an insider said yesterday. It was gathered that some powerful Northern power brokers had impressed it on the president to restrict his search for the headship of certain sensitive positions to the region.

The source, a member of the APC Board of Trustees (BoT) caucus, listed some of such positions to that of the SGF, Chief of Staff, National Security Adviser (NSA) and the headship of the Federal Ministry of Finance. He said some young, but powerful confidants of the president had drawn up a list of such positions with the support of certain influential power brokers from the North. “We fear if the president can say no to such persons under the present circumstances,” he added. He said a delegation of some influential Northerners had handed over what he called an ‘A’ list to the president.

“When you say the president as a person is keeping the party guessing, I laugh. In fairness to him, it is not true because we know as a matter of fact that some powerful leaders of the party from the North have insisted on certain key appointments. “Looking at their arguments for such, you will also agree that they might be right to say yes, we need to have these this time around because in whatev-er we do, once precedence has been set, it becomes difficult to fault when successive actions in similar light come to the fore.

“For instance, when today they insist on having the NSA, CBN governor, SGF, COS and even the Minister of Finance, you don’t have to blame them because right from the days of Obasanjo till Jonathan, we have come to realise that these appointments had at one time or the other, resided in a section of the country before. “In fact, there was a time former President Jonathan had his NSA, CoS and Finance Minister all from the South-South. So the issue is not just the president keeping the party leadership guessing, but what is at hand is how we will stem a brewing cold war within us to get out of hand into open confrontation.

“The truth remains that to say no, or simply ignore the demands presented by this group of our colleagues from the North will only be insensitive, that is why we are trying to explore more diplomatic means of concession to one another,” he said. It could not be immediately confirmed if the move by the Forum of Northern States’ Secretaries to Governments to endorse one of their own, the Secretary to Borno State Government, Ambassador Baba Ahmed Jidda, for the position of SGF was in line with the push as disclosed by the party top shot.

The forum, in a letter to Buhari and signed by the Coordinator of the Forum and former SSG of Niger State, Hon. Saidu Ndako Idris Kpaki, said the recommendation was part of their contribution to support the new administration to succeed in its quest to improve the lives of Nigerians. The position of the forum had raised curiosity; especially following reports that a founding leader of the APC, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, was being considered for the job. For the positions of the NSA and CoS, erstwhile Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Abdurrahman Dambazau and Col Hammed Ali, all retired, are the prime candidates likely to get the jobs.

But New Telegraph gathered that on the cards for the positions of Finance Minister is Dr Tanimu Yakubu Kurfi, who was Chief Economic Adviser to the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua. But Junaid, who clarified that he was not speaking for the North, said the APC should be blamed for any crisis and delay over appointments by the president. He alleged that with the zoning of offices, the APC was already holding Buhari hostage. He said: “First and foremost, I have never claimed to be speaking for the North; my attitude has always been what is good for the nation.
Having said that, I think the APC is creating a problem for President Buhari by this zoning mantra. “Basically, I think it is because the party allowed crooks and counterproductive elements from the PDP to join its fold and these persons have now brought in this idea of zoning, which I think is very inimical to good governance. “For instance, the position of the SGF is a very sensitive office and it is the engine room of the government; the head of government must be allowed to pick whoever he feels is best suitable for the job.

When former President Obasanjo picked Chief Ufot Ekaette, it was believed that he picked out of merit and not zoning, so the APC should not try to impose any useless zoning on the president. “The same goes for other offices such as the CBN governor, NSA and all that, including the now annoying jostle for the position of the Senate president.

“Nigerians should be wary of those who want to plant seeds of discord that will cause confusion in the early life of this administration because from the way things are going, if care is not taken, leadership of the Senate might be in the hands of the same ethnic group that has grabbed the vice-presidency; that same ethnic group wants to be speaker of the House of Representatives. But I can bet you, it will not be allowed to happen in this country because we know ourselves.” But reacting to the allegation that the APC was holding the president hostage, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said such a statement should be ignored. “Please ignore such statements; it is too early to give prominence to statements that will not help this administration,” he said.

Source: http://newtelegraphonline.com/appointment-apc-is-holding-buhari-hostage/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Nokiae5: 8:33am On Jun 02, 2015
cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Nokiae5: 8:34am On Jun 02, 2015
op wati you dey talk?

3 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Built2last: 8:35am On Jun 02, 2015
hmmm

I knew all was not well. PMB must understand he is the party leader and manage political jobbers in the party circles.

however, the party must be careful to have a balanced and nationalistic government.

we have competent hands from all regions of Nigeria.

All northern affair is a no no for me.

balance is key.

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by seunmsg(m): 8:46am On Jun 02, 2015
In a complex country like Nigeria, their will always be the need for balancing in making federal appointments. That PDP did some things in a certain way doesn't mean APC should toe the same line. In fact, we elected APC because we expected them to do things differently. Buhari and APC should please get their acts together and ensure all regions are carried along in the federal appointments to be made. Junaid Mohammed and Co who contributed little or nothing to APC's electoral success should stop distracting the president.

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by GoodMuyis(m): 8:47am On Jun 02, 2015
Am today is 2nd June 2015, its too early for this type of news in CHANGING Nigeria

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Noneroone(m): 8:57am On Jun 02, 2015
I BLAME TANOIDS FOR THIS

3 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 02, 2015
My dearest country which way forward?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Sweetguy25: 9:10am On Jun 02, 2015
This man's failure will surely be successful. grin grin

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by skare: 9:13am On Jun 02, 2015
Counting 2/6/15 5days now,nothing to show this is a new govt.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by adadadon(m): 9:16am On Jun 02, 2015
Who is Junaid muhammad ......... he looks like an ethnic jingoist after referring to Saraki as a Yoruba man

I did not see him campaign for Buhari.....
He has no stake

17 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by tucky200(m): 9:18am On Jun 02, 2015
Sweetguy25:
This man's failure will surely be successful. grin grin

No more failure in our country
Only in ur household

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by sammyj: 9:23am On Jun 02, 2015
Buhari should put the interests of the people before those fat rich politicians and forget about second term for now and performs. If he performs we will vote for him again in 2019. Let him go ahead and nominate his ministers having the interest of the people first. However, this fat politicians should note that is not business as usual and revolution is coming if they refuse to stop holding the country into hostage !! sad

11 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by holicalpha(m): 9:31am On Jun 02, 2015
Let's Give the Illiterate some time.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

GEJ in my Heart Forever #NoHOMO.

As Usual, I'm expecting Piles of insult from the Slaves of the Jihadist....So keep the insults coming.

- Valar Morghulis.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Neduzze5(m): 9:31am On Jun 02, 2015
The thieves have begun!!

God save Nigeria!!

11 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Sijo01(f): 9:32am On Jun 02, 2015
Am not surprised. They want to make the man their puppy even after he said he belongs to nobody.

9 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by barry40: 9:33am On Jun 02, 2015
APC - Change!

3 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by ebamma(m): 9:33am On Jun 02, 2015
You promised to appoint ministers based on merit,
Now we are hearing zoning again
#baba where is the change

20 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by cold(m): 9:33am On Jun 02, 2015
Ahem..i no tell una?

5 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by Rawani: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
But why?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by holicalpha(m): 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
Noneroone:
I BLAME TANOIDS FOR THIS
"Stupidity is a talent but some people misuse it" I would urge you not to misuse your talent,sire.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by kay29000(m): 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
Hmm! In the end I know Buhari would make the best decision. The thing is, if he were to ignore zoning, and just chose people based on THEIR WORTHINESS ALONE, and the bulk of those people fall within a few ethnic groups, people would complain about marginalization. So, he really has to take his time, and play it safe. Anyway,if you have problem lasting long in bed, hit me up on BBM- 7C22F6EC.

3 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by eleojo23: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
Boko Haram is holding some people hostage and at the same time APC is holding Buhari (and the entire nation at large) hostage.
This is a real cause for concern.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by alawi5k: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
Alert FBI nah. The change is here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by coldsummer: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2015
This Man should be left alone. This is damn too early

1 Like

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by SeverusSnape(m): 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Tinubu!!! grin

5 Likes

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by bastien: 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Lol..... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by docsholz(m): 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Cos Gej was clannish doesn't mean Bihari should be as well, everyone should be as well
Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by WASMOG(m): 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Apc can not dictate for baba I think he is just trying to appoint the right person
Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by PointB: 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Buhari is the President, not APC. It was him who won the election, not APC. He should stop entertaining us with excuses and get down to the business of governance. Boko Haram is overunning Maiduguri while Buhari and APC trade blames. What kind of nonsense is this from buhari and APC?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appointment: ‘APC Is Holding Buhari Hostage’ - Newtelegraphonline by sammyj: 9:35am On Jun 02, 2015

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wike Begins Probe Of Amaechi / Throwback Pic Of OBJ Heading World Conference Against Apartheid In 1977 In Lagos / Yul Edochie Reacts To Being Left Out Of Anambra 2017 Gubernatorial Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.