Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:38 PM

Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion (1336 Views)

What Is Your Opinion:is Follio.me A Post&get Paid Site Real? / Planning to start an Internet Business company? / Planning To Start An Online Auction Site, But No Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 7:31pm On Feb 17, 2009
I guess quite a few will be surprised to see me back here. Good to be back

I have being thinking for the past few months about going back to Ibadan, Nigeria. I am currently in USA, have a degree in Information Systems. Done some work.  In programming (C++, PHP, VB.NET), data warehousing (Business Objects/Oracle), and website design/management.

I want to go back to Nigeria to work, I hope to be in Nigeria next month. I don't want to go through the NYSC process.

What are my chances of getting a good paying job without serving in Ibadan, Lagos or Abuja.

Would it be difficult?

If there are other locations, I can take into consideration.

Your opinions are kindly appreciated

I am also looking for jobs globally if you guys have any ideas that will be great. (Canada, Hong Kong, China, France, UK, Australia) etc
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by yawatide(f): 8:11pm On Feb 17, 2009
Why not focus on setting up a dev shop of your own? I have toyed with the same thoughts and I don't want to have to be held at ransom over a pay check. You are in the states and hence know that there, even if you work for 5 minutes, you get paid, when and as agreed, even for the 5 minutes. One thing I don't want to have to do upon my return is be dependent on someone for a salary (unless it is an oil firm where I know they always pay) and/or rely on government contracts for survival.

So in summary, I would say, forget about working for someone and think about setting up your own thing, preferably working with the private sector.

Good luck and let us know how it goes as I go dey follow you soonest, Lord willing cool
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2009
Well, I am also into photography, I am still an amateur and I would like to eventually have my own business dealing with amateur photography. I have a couple of things I would like to get off the ground. However, getting the initial funding is important. Which I do plan to investment my personal funds when I have enough. (Many people would not advice going into business this way, but it is a risk I am willing to bear). Setting up a dev shop is also into consideration, quite competitive to get projects but it is possible using sites like elance.com or networking with people.

So why do I want to leave USA? For those familiar with the immigration system here, they can attest to the fact that the American immigration system is imperfect. This is in regards to all categories of immigration including those that are dependent upon the H1-B working visa which is where I fall.

I called a couple of places to seek employment it is not looking good. You need permit to get work, you need work to get a permit. It is cyclical. Then if you take into consideration all of the Indian consulting companies operating in the US, they make the situation worse for actual information technology professional. They are like gin mills just turning out people after a couple of training. It is also sad that the govt doesnt verify all applicant credentials.

On tv yesterday was a discussion about people paying to get internships. Imagine? instead of the company paying them to work, or allowing them to work for free, the employee's parents actually pay the company so their kids can work in the companies.

Check out this site. It is like an ebay for internships : http://www.washingtondcinternships.com/tuition.php

Definitely, no country is perfect, each has her own problems but it is just getting out of control. I love the freedom of having one's business and setting my own schedule.

I also have to say that when a system is working, when a system is working for us, we may not find the faults in the system. Until we fall on the other side and experience all the inadequacies of a system, then we complain. (just wanted to add that in. That is human nature).

Shall keep updating where I end up and what I finally do.

If there are other questions, I shall be glad to answer.

Do most private sector jobs also require the NYSC certificate?
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by abhosts(m): 10:26am On Feb 18, 2009
If you have opted for the employee career path in Nigeria and you are under 30, I don't thing the NYSC option can be circumvented. Be that as it may, you might want to come and see things for yourself before you make up your mind. Nigeria is a land of so many opportunities and a degree is not really a pre-requisite for you to make legit millions.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 18, 2009
Friend,

It is a good thing that you are thinking of coming home, but the picture you seems to have projected may not favour you for now. I think the best advice you need is what Yawa-ti-de has offered, you may only need to take your time to make some calculations, and as you have rightly said, 'no country is perfect, each has her own problems', just make sure you adequately prepare for unforeseen situations that you may need to weather b4 things will take shape properly.

In my own opinion, opportunities can rather be more exploited here in Nigeria than in anywhere else.

Remember, 'strong men create opportunities, while weak men seek them'.

Nigeria is a great country! I can see a better Nigeria ahead.

I'm proud to be a Nigerian!
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2009
larrymilla:

Friend,
It is a good thing that you are thinking  of coming home, but the picture you seems to have projected may not favour you for now. , just make sure you adequately prepare for unforeseen situations that you may need to weather b4 things will take shape properly.

There is truth to your statement. I am only trying to imagine how one can for prepare anything that could happen in Nigeria. The reality is that things are tough for everyone these days. No matter where one goes, there may be some difficulties. Depending on how we "PLAN" to overcome the difficulties, success awaits for victors. For new graduates, men, good luck to you guys really. Many jobs these days require some 2 or 3+ years experience. If these guys cant get jobs. It is going to be crazy. You need job to get experience, you need experience to get jobs. But somehow I see entrepreneurs starting out their businesses.

abhosts:

If you have opted for the employee career path in Nigeria and you are under 30, I don't thing the NYSC option can be circumvented. ,  I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Hm, I am under 30 ,  Yea the NYSC stuff is not looking good until after 30years. Well that can be penned as duly noted. And the waiting list to service. Life is tough.

A song by Coldplay - Clocks     (might not be 100% correct)

Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
You've put me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and please, singin'

Come out of things unsaid
Shoot, an apple off my head.
And the
Trouble that cant be named
The tiger's waiting to be tamed singin'

You are
You are

Confusion never stops
Closing walls and ticking clocks
Gonna come back and take you home
I could not stop but you now know, singin'

Come out upon my seas,
Curse missed opportunities
Am I a part of the cure
Or am I part of the disease, singin'

You are, you are
You are, you are
You are, you are

Nothing else compares.
Oh, no nothing else compares
Oh, no nothing else compares

You are
You are

Home, home where I wanted to go

Thanks for your input. How prominent are India consulting companies' presence in Nigeria? Here they are like sharks.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Bossman(m): 4:27pm On Feb 18, 2009
Since you are into development, what about writing an application that will fit into the needs of Nigeria nd try to market it there, and that can also pave the way for setting up your own shop. I know things are not perfect in Nigeria or anywhere for that matter. That may mean you have to bee on ground to be able to do some analysis on the situation there and how things operate and may be come up with a simple application that you can write and sell to some companies to help automate what they do. I agree, that I do not think you want to go out there and start working for someone. Unless you get a guaranteed contract from a reputable company.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by quadrillio(m): 9:53am On Feb 19, 2009
Abeg dey come we need people like u to tell some useless IT people what IT is really is.

For job, I can link u.

but I cannot predict the pay.

and you can always go solo.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 3:24pm On Feb 19, 2009
Job security is more important than pay. But the higher the pay the better. It was yesterday a friend of mine told me that her boss asked her to take a 10% pay cut after she agreed to take two positions in the company. She is probably going to request for her pay to remain the same or stop working in one position and taking a pay cut. Now her boss is going to be like if she wants to take a pay cut that means she does one job and he has to employ another person per time = more expensive. I do hope he will agree for no pay cut just remain the same.

I wish I can get a guarantee of employment before stepping on a plane. But it is extremely difficult if I am not on the ground as a couple of people have indicated.

We shall see what happens in the next couple of weeks.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by beauty2009: 3:27pm On Feb 19, 2009
@ Cactus,

Can you please mail me on yankeegee@yahoo.com.

I really need to have some discussion with you.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Gamine(f): 3:34pm On Feb 19, 2009
LOL, grin i wont come back here, . .teheehe

Most private organizations do not need the NYSC thingy
But then again, it wont hurt to serve. . .
did you school abroad, if you did you can pick where you want to serve
and you dont have to be in camp, for the whole thing.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 4:14pm On Feb 19, 2009
I schooled in USA.

Ah ah ah excellent. That camp part of NYSC what scares me. They should scrap it. But the essence will be lost. Actually, if i was in charge of the NYSC program. I will postpone the program for 2 years. So if you are waiting to serve, and if you graduate between 2009 - 2011, you get a pass. But you will receive a letter confirming the pass.

During this period of hold, the entire system will be redesigned to be more efficient. Improved assignment schemes, facilities improved, training for NYSC officials etc.

Oh well one can only dream. Hopefully, when I become the President of Nigeria. I can do something.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Gamine(f): 4:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
Thats good then!

They cant scrap NYSC though, its just not possible

too many factors, besides i hear they are increasing the allowance

so you'd have 30000 spare cash every month, should do some good.

President? lol, we shall wait.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 4:28pm On Feb 19, 2009
When Obama came out, people were like who is he. Everything else = History

Nigeria is waiting for me. LOL
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Gamine(f): 4:46pm On Feb 19, 2009
LOL

Yes You Can! grin
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by yawatide(f): 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2009
oga cactus,

How's the decision-making going? What's the latest?

Let us know. Others might be following in your footsteps wink
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by Cactus(m): 11:06pm On Mar 05, 2009
I planned to post an update when I reach a major milestone.

Spoken with several people in Nigeria and out, and read the recommendation of people on this thread.

I am primarily into data warehousing, ETL.

The market in Nigeria for this not as good as what I would expect. Looking into Canada and Asia though. I should get something hopefully within a month done interviews and have more coming up.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by sonety2k(m): 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2009
cool
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by kolitos007: 4:21pm On Oct 22, 2009
I am also thinking of heading back to Nigeria, but then don't know what to do and also am having difficulties convincing my Finance to come with me as we getting married next year.

But I am tired of this country I want to go where you understand every one around you and every one around you understands you better. I have some things i want to do, but then I don't know if Nigeria is ready for it yet, I hope to go sometime around February next year just to see how it is.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by yawatide(f): 5:55pm On Oct 22, 2009
kolitos:
Your "finance"? LWKMD!

Seriously though, I will tell you what I told Cactus, granted each person's experience is different:

You are better off doing it on your own than to look for contracts or paid job. Based on my short experience, I can say emphatically, that it is the very same ppl who say "stop complaining. return home and contribute" that will hold you up in their offices for hours on end, with their secretaries saying, "oga no dey o" when he/she is there.

I resolved that i would rather open up a corner shop making 5K a day, than to deal with that crap. Again, everyone's experience is different. Good luck to you and your "finance" cool
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by kolitos007: 6:44pm On Oct 22, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

kolitos:
Your "finance"? LWKMD!

Seriously though, I will tell you what I told Cactus, granted each person's experience is different:

You are better off doing it on your own than to look for contracts or paid job. Based on my short experience, I can say emphatically, that it is the very same ppl who say "stop complaining. return home and contribute" that will hold you up in their offices for hours on end, with their secretaries saying, "oga no dey o" when he/she is there.

I resolved that i would rather open up a corner shop making 5K a day, than to deal with that crap. Again, everyone's experience is different. Good luck to you and your "finance" cool

What you have said is true, one of my friends moved back to Nigeria recently, he told me the guy he was meant to see made him sit for an hour whilst he had his food, I think that is just wrong, people like that are not helping. I just feel like that country if you don't know any one you will be in a large black hole and won't know where to go to be honest.
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by yawatide(f): 6:50pm On Oct 22, 2009
the guy he was meant to see made him sit for an hour whilst he had his food, I think that is just wrong, people like that are not helping.

I will 2nd this with my own story, though I didn't go looking for him for job but as a courtesy call, per I know his wife. He is pretty high up in the pdp heirarchy:

We got there around 2pm. It was my first time in a politicians house so I was surprised to see all the seats taken. The guy was eating (go figure! what a coincidence). I greeted him, chatted up my friend and he excused us. Over the next 3 hours or so, he would come in, stay about 10 minutes and leave again for another 20 minutes or so. I was pissed but hey, I went to see the wife not him. I kept asking myself how the wife felt though then again it isn't my place to bring it up. meanwhile, those who did go to see him, never did - they just sat there watching whatever everyone was watching and making small talk. I particularly remember one man who I met there and whom I left there, which means he was probably there for 5 hours or more.

As I have told others, if that is what it takes to strike it big in naija, I don't want it. I will deal with the ppl who can afford to spend N50 for a bottle of coke, tori olorun! cool
Re: Planning To Go Back To Nigeria Need Your Opinion by kolitos007: 11:47pm On Oct 22, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

I will 2nd this with my own story, though I didn't go looking for him for job but as a courtesy call, per I know his wife. He is pretty high up in the pdp heirarchy:

We got there around 2pm. It was my first time in a politicians house so I was surprised to see all the seats taken. The guy was eating (go figure! what a coincidence). I greeted him, chatted up my friend and he excused us. Over the next 3 hours or so, he would come in, stay about 10 minutes and leave again for another 20 minutes or so. I was pissed but hey, I went to see the wife not him. I kept asking myself how the wife felt though then again it isn't my place to bring it up. meanwhile, those who did go to see him, never did - they just sat there watching whatever everyone was watching and making small talk. I particularly remember one man who I met there and whom I left there, which means he was probably there for 5 hours or more.

As I have told others, if that is what it takes to strike it big in naija, I don't want it. I will deal with the ppl who can afford to spend N50 for a bottle of coke, tori olorun! cool

This are the things that make you think is it worth it, when its all about who you know and not what you can do or the experience you have, unless you are white, which is frankly backward minded.

(1) (Reply)

Online Exam Portal / Pls How Do I Create A Group In Fb Without Usin My Profile / [story] Corper's Lodge (episode 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.