Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? (1139 Views)

Mohammed Yunusa Dismissed By NJC Over Injunction Stopping EFCC From Probing Odua / EFCC Probing Jonathan, We Will Invite Him To Respond To Our Evidences – Magu / I Lost 6 International Jobs For Fighting Jonathan Government- Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:02am On Jun 04, 2015
Is There anything wrong with probing Jonathan's Government?

Governor Wike of Rivers has just started a probe against ex-Governor Amaechi's government and to many of us, especially those who support Wike or PDP, it is very much in order, in fact, people want Amaechi to be disgraced and if possible rot in jail. To those who want Amaechi probed, nobody talks about probing ex-Governor Peter Odili's government. Well, let's say this is quite normal especially when an opposition party takes over government.

What about probing ex-President Goodluck Jonathan's government for the monumental fraud that saw his government being removed from office? Anything wrong with this if it brings our stolen money back? It would be recalled that when Obasanjo became president in 1999, he immediately launched a probe on Abacha's government and the PTF headed by President Buhari at that time, before eventually winding up the project.

To me, it's very fair and normal to probe the outgoing government especially if they have outstanding cases of monumental fraud, it's only unfortunate that the ex-president is a hero to some people, but justice must prevail. His government's wide spread corruption was the major reason most Nigerians voted him out, even those working with him at Aso Rock. Nigerians want to know the extent to which they were deprived of social services, benefits, jobs and infrastructure due to mismanagement of the country's massive resources. For ex-president Jonathan's government 5 years in office, it is believed that Nigeria lost at least $100 billion dollars of income to fraud in the oil sector, fraudulent import waivers and monumental Fraud at the customs and NPA sectors, tax evasion fraud at FIRS etc, most of which never hit the country's income revenue account and at the same time equalling or surpassing the country's whole budget between 2010 and 2015.

Probing the previous government will however be the decision of the president to take. Whatever he decides, we must all support him in the interest of progress of this nation which we all presently live in.

God Bless Nigeria.

- SocialMediaMan

2 Likes

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:08am On Jun 04, 2015
Probably!

Its morning again!
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by deor03(m): 7:09am On Jun 04, 2015
No, but start from 1999

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:10am On Jun 04, 2015
cc: pssingshot, omenka, doctokwus, gbawe, ngeneukwenu.... Morning guys!
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Ddonchester: 7:11am On Jun 04, 2015
socialmediaman:
Is There anything wrong with probing Jonathan's Government?

Governor Wike of Rivers has just started a probe against ex-Governor Amaechi's government and to many of us, especially those who support Wike or PDP, it is very much in order, in fact, people want Amaechi to be disgraced and if possible rot in jail. To those who want Amaechi probed, nobody talks about probing ex-Governor Peter Odili's government. Well, let's say this is quite normal especially when an opposition party takes over government.

What about probing ex-President Goodluck Jonathan's government for the monumental fraud that saw his government being removed from office? Anything wrong with this if it brings our stolen money back? It would be recalled that when Obasanjo became president in 1999, he immediately launched a probe on Abacha's government and the PTF headed by President Buhari at that time, before eventually winding up the project.

To me, it's very fair and normal to probe the outgoing government especially if they have outstanding cases of monumental fraud, it's only unfortunate that the ex-president is a hero to some people, but justice must prevail. His government's wide spread corruption was the major reason most Nigerians voted him out, even those working with him at Aso Rock. Nigerians want to know the extent to which they were deprived of social services, benefits, jobs and infrastructure due to mismanagement of the country's massive resources. For ex-president Jonathan's government 5 years in office, it is believed that Nigeria lost at least $100 billion dollars of income to fraud in the oil sector, fraudulent import waivers and monumental Fraud at the customs and NPA sectors, tax evasion fraud at FIRS etc, most of which never hit the country's income revenue account and at the same time equalling or surpassing the country's whole budget between 2010 and 2015.

Probing the previous government will however be the decision of the president to take. Whatever he decides, we must all support him in the interest of progress of this nation which we all presently live in.

God Bless Nigeria.

- SocialMediaMan
You will soon die.
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2015
deor03:
No, but start from 1999

But he didn't inherit 1999 government, PDP and Jonathan did

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2015
To those who want Amaechi probed, nobody talks about probing ex-Governor Peter Odili's government.
This clearly shows that you have no clue about Rivers state. Amaechi set up Justice Kayode Eso- commission aka "Truth and Recocilliation Commission" to probe Odili's administration. In fact, the commission indicted exGov Peter Odili without fair hearing because Amaechi is aware that there is no way he can be dissociated from Odili's misdeed. Odili had to run to a High Court to set aside and nullify the allegations/indictment. Which the court did.
“I set aside the report of the Rivers State Truth and Reconciliation Commission (Exhibit 6) including the findings, conclusion, indictment, and recommendations in so far as they concern the applicant.
“I refuse the prayers regarding the White Paper allegedly issued by the Government of Rivers State since that White Paper, if any, is not before me " Justice Ahiakwo said.
www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/court-sets-aside-recommendations-of-rivers-truth-commission/

In fact, Amaechi's government had vowed to appeal the judgement!

As for GEJ's administration, Buhari should go ahead with the probe BUT he must probe everyone indicted during that administration including Lamido Sanusi, revisit Timpre Sylva, Abdulrasheed Maina etc...
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Masta2: 7:19am On Jun 04, 2015
All in good time......All in good time. PMB has priorities. Tackling BH is first on the queue

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by ifyclose2(m): 7:19am On Jun 04, 2015
Ddonchester:
You will soon die.
Prayers like this usually go back to sender.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by doctokwus: 7:29am On Jun 04, 2015
Jonathan in an ideal environment should be fully probed.There is so much corruption on and around him and his govt for him to be let go.
But u shouldn't use Wike's probe of Amaechi's govt as a basis. Wike is not working with his full faculties intact because he should have known limiting his probe to the last 18 months of that govt shows he is just out to get a predetermined outcome.
As for Jonathan, am sure even if d govt decides not to probe him directly, the others that would be caught would implicate him themselves or through circumstantial evidence.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:30am On Jun 04, 2015
barcanista:
This clearly shows that you have no clue about Rivers state. Amaechi set up Justice Kayode Eso- commission aka "Truth and Recocilliation Commission" to probe Odili's administration. In fact, the commission indicted exGov Peter Odili without fair hearing because Amaechi is aware that there is no way he can be dissociated from Odili's misdeed. Odili had to run to a High Court to set aside and nullify the allegations/indictment. Which the court did.
www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/court-sets-aside-recommendations-of-rivers-truth-commission/

In fact, Amaechi's government had vowed to appeal the judgement!

As for GEJ's administration, Buhari should go ahead with the probe BUT he must probe everyone indicted during that administration including Lamido Sanusi, revisit Timpre Sylva, Abdulrasheed Maina etc...

Based on the same link you provided, this was not a financial probe of the government of Peter Odili but mostly about the cult activities that reigned during his administration

It will be recalled that Governor Chibuike Amaechi, had set up the Commission, when he came on board as Governor of the state. The Commission, which was headed by retired Justice Kayode Eso, was, among other things, given the mandate to identify the root cause of some of the cult related crises and other acts of violence that erupted in the state during the tenure of former Governor, Dr Peter Odili, and come up with a credible path to enduring peace.

Back to topic, I'm glad you agree that the outgoing government should be probed for its excesses, we cannot keep having fund funds embezzlers as celebrities in our society.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:33am On Jun 04, 2015
doctokwus:
Jonathan in an ideal environment should be fully probed.There is so much corruption on and around him and his govt for him to be let go.
But u shouldn't use Wike's probe of Amaechi's govt as a basis. Wike is not working with his full faculties intact because he should have known limiting his probe to the last 18 months of that govt shows he is just out to get a predetermined outcome.
As for Jonathan, am sure even if d govt decides not to probe him directly, the others that would be caught would implicate him themselves or through circumstantial evidence.

Exactly my point, probing Jonathan's government doesn't have to be seen as trying to send him to jail, but bringing to book all the criminals who usurped government's powers and public resources to their own personal advantage

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 04, 2015
socialmediaman:

Based on the same link you provided, this was not a financial probe of the government of Peter Odili

Back to topic, I'm glad you agree that the outgoing government should be probed for its excesses, we cannot keep having fund funds embezzlers as celebrities in our society.

I don't like wasting my time on unnecessary argument. Which one is financial probe and cultism probe? A probe is a probe....FULL STOP!

As for Buhari, I have said my own. Except he carries out a comprehensive probe on those indicted during the last administration (including Sanusi Lamido Sanusi), he's on a loooooooooong thing if he thinks he can focus on GEJ. The SS/SE are always handy to protect GEJ as long as Buhari protects Sanusi and other of his party men/women. As for Amaechi, even his clan in Ubama are not happy towards him. End of Discussion

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by omenka(m): 7:40am On Jun 04, 2015
There is absolutely nothing wrong in doing so. It is what most well meaning citizens (elders and youths alike) of this country have been calling for, and it is not predicated on what is happening in Rivers state- that would mean being petty.

The fraud that went on unchecked in the immediate past admin was unprecedented, not even did we witness such in any of the military admins.

The probe must be done in such a manner as to ensure ethnic and religious jingoists don't run to town with their usual boring stories of selective persecution. It must be seen to be just and fair. The precedent must be set to ensure accountability in subsequent governments.

It would be a huge dent on the long lasting image of the President if no one goes to jail over the rot that characterised the immediate past government.

Ps: for those quoting me and hurling insults, you shall remain ignored.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by JingoOAU(m): 7:45am On Jun 04, 2015
It also baffles me that the said Wike is probing Amaechi for his last 18months in office....is that not ridiculous

Why can't he probe Amaechi from 2007, I am very sure he's very concerned that his own misdeed is going to come out from the report

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 7:56am On Jun 04, 2015
barcanista:
I don't like wasting my time on unnecessary argument. Which one is financial probe and cultism probe? A probe is a probe....FULL STOP!

As for Buhari, I have said my own. Except he carries out a comprehensive probe on those indicted during the last administration (including Sanusi Lamido Sanusi), he's on a loooooooooong thing if he thinks he can focus on GEJ. The SS/SE are always handy to protect GEJ as long as Buhari protects Sanusi and other of his party men/women. As for Amaechi, even his clan in Ubama are not happy towards him. End of Discussion

NNPC has been probed multiple times on various activities within the past 5 years. Just recently, the Federal Reps threw out a submission to clear the corporation of acts of corruption

Nigerians also demanded a probe of the ministry of interior regarding the extortion of thousands immigration applicants and subsequent deaths of people during the flawed exceecise, the government set up a panel to look into this issue. This did not constitute a comprehensive financial probe of the ministry but rather a particular tragedy of national interest. This was something related to Odili's probe, so probe has various dimensions, the height of it being the comprehensive financial audit of the government or section of it

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 04, 2015
omenka:
There is absolutely nothing wrong in doing so. It is what most well meaning citizens (elders and youths alike) of this country have been calling for, and it is not predicated on what is happening in Rivers state- that would mean being petty.

The fraud that went on unchecked in the immediate past admin was unprecedented, not even did we witness such in any of the military admins.

The probe must be done in such a manner as to ensure ethnic and religious jingoists don't run to town with their usual boring stories of selective persecution. It must be seen to be just and fair. The precedent must be set to ensure accountability in subsequent governments.

It would be a huge dent on the long lasting image of the President if no one goes to jail over the rot that characterised the immediate past government.

no one is against probing but the probe mus go round.Obasanjo was indicted by a PANEL for $16 billion power scam.IBB was also indicted by a panel for $12.5 billion fraud.,so far no PANEL has indicted GEJA and you are here shouting his name.

Buhari knows any selective probe would set this country on fire hence he is just been careful.
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 8:16am On Jun 04, 2015
omenka:

This is actually what Nigerians want, a probe that brings to Justice and sets a precedence and reminder to government officials on embezzling public funds.

I referred to Wike's case between when I read that report, the same people calling for GEJ government's protection were very glad to see a probe of Amaechi's government, and as you rightly stated, he was a part of the government between 2007 and 2011, I guess he gave a clean bill to those years in government.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 8:19am On Jun 04, 2015
chukwudi44:

no one is against probing but the probe mus go round.Obasanjo was indicted by a PANEL for $16 billion power scam.IBB was also indicted by a panel for $12.5 billion fraud.,so far no PANEL has indicted GEJA and you are here shouting his name.

Buhari knows any selective probe would set this country on fire hence he is just been careful.

Buhari did not inherit Obasanjo's government, it should've been GEJ or Yaradua's government's job to conduct that probe Which I think should happen for any government known for scandals
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by disumusa: 8:35am On Jun 04, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
Probably!

Its morning again!
why i want him to be probe is that he refuse to probe other govt b/4 him, gej is corrupt.
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by sammyj: 8:45am On Jun 04, 2015
GEJ administration must surely be probed because his government is one of the most corrupt government Nigeria ever had!!!
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by tinkinjow: 9:21am On Jun 04, 2015
socialmediaman:

Buhari did not inherit Obasanjo's government, it should've been GEJ or Yaradua's government's job to conduct that probe Which I think should happen for any government known for scandals
A very silly thing to say. Most of us only support things that massage our ego.
My friend we didn't have a universal deluge after IBB, Obasanjo, Yaradua, Jonathan and all before them. So long as there are records they must all be probed.
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 10:18am On Jun 04, 2015
tinkinjow:

A very silly thing to say. Most of us only support things that massage our ego.
My friend we didn't have a universal deluge after IBB, Obasanjo, Yaradua, Jonathan and all before them. So long as there are records they must all be probed.

I guess you misplace the priority of Buhari's government for the job of EFCC. On what basis should the Buhari government waste its time probing a government that ended 8 years ago? If you have useful information as regards a very crucial lead to unearthing a fraud under OBJ, bring it forward to the EFCC, as per the Halliburton and etc, the EFCC should handle those, not Buhari's government directly. Setting up committees to probe a government should be limited to the government you're inheriting especially if you have red flags, else you spend the whole administration lifetime chasing ghosts.. But I guess anything that sounds contrary to pro-GEJ partisan desires is unacceptable, doesn't mean Justice shouldn't be administered though
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2015
socialmediaman:

Your stupidity is amazing!!! so murder suspect of the 90s would now become free because of change in Government baa!!! anyway the illiterate knows the implication of moving against GEJ and has decided to respect himself. War has not even started in the creeks and AreGBESE cannot pay salaries, I wonder what will happen when the boys resumes their militancy
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 04, 2015
socialmediaman:

I guess you misplace the priority of Buhari's government for the job of EFCC. On what basis should the Buhari government waste its time probing a government that ended 8 years ago? If you have useful information as regards a very crucial lead to unearthing a fraud under OBJ, bring it forward to the EFCC, as per the Halliburton and etc, the EFCC should handle those, not Buhari's government directly. Setting up committees to probe a government should be limited to the government you're inheriting especially if you have red flags, else you spend the whole administration lifetime chasing ghosts.. But I guess anything that sounds contrary to pro-GEJ partisan desires is unacceptable, doesn't mean Justice shouldn't be administered though

A panel indicted Obasanjo for $16bILLION fraud. Another indicted IBB for $12billion ,except the illiterate wants to move another defense headquarters to the Niger delta,he dare not move against GEJ while leaving these bigger thieves
Re: Is There Anything Wrong With Probing Jonathan's Government? by socialmediaman: 6:10pm On Jun 04, 2015
chukwudi44:

A panel indicted Obasanjo for $16bILLION fraud. Another indicted IBB for $12billion ,except the illiterate wants to move another defense headquarters to the Niger delta,he dare not move against GEJ while leaving these bigger thieves

like I said, its EFCC's job to investigate those allegations and deal with them, Buhari's priority is probe the government he inherited to ascertain the state of the economy it has inherited, deal with it. The fact that GEJ refused to probe the government he inherited doesn't that it's the law. Buhari will do his job and you'll find a way to live with that

(1) (Reply)

I Believe In President Buhari. / Dear Nigerians, Is Nigeria Member Of G7? / I Wont Join The Bandwagon To Criticize Buhari - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.