Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,573 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC (1682 Views)

Osinbajo, Ngige & Kachikwu Addressing Protesting NLC & TUC Members Today (Photos / NLC, TUC Kicks Off Protest In Lagos (photos) / NLC To Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal And Increase In Petrol Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by zik4ever: 10:35am On Jun 04, 2015
President-general, Trade Union Congress, TUC, Mr. Bobboi Kaigama has reiterated the resolve of the union to reject calls for fuel subsidy removal in the interest of Nigerians. Speaking to newsmen in Jalingo yesterday, Kaigama disclosed that the most important thing at the moment was to tackle the pervasive corruption that had characterised the subsidy regime over the years. TUC, according to the president-general, will resist attempt aimed at fuel subsidy removal because Nigerians deserve some subsidy on the oil that is produced in the country. According to him, “The most important thing to do at the moment is to identify the cabal that hijacked the process of subsidy payment and punish them for holding the nation to ransom over the years.” On the issue of Boko Haram, Kaigama informed that the union was in support of President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to relocate the command centre to Maiduguri until the insurgents were subdued, saying “there is no need to pretend that the nation is not at war.” “We totally support Buhari’s decision to relocate the command centre to Maiduguri until the insurgents are subdued. The insurgents are at war with Nigeria and there is need to take the war to them where ever they are in the country,” he said. The labour leader appealed to the president and state governors to reduce the cost of governance by reducing the number of political appointees and making their salaries and allowances public for Nigerians to know and trust them at all times. While urging the federal and state governments to revamp agricultural and industrial sectors in order to boost the economy, Kaigama lamented that the economy of the country was getting worse and that would be the way of addressing it.
- See more at: http://nigerianpilot.com/well-resist-fuel-subsidy-removal-tuc/#sthash.2zVgBE49.dpuf
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by papoose999(m): 10:47am On Jun 04, 2015
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by otokx(m): 10:49am On Jun 04, 2015
On your own

1 Like

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by 9jii(m): 10:49am On Jun 04, 2015
We
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by nickxtra(m): 10:50am On Jun 04, 2015
Resist it and Nigerians will resist you

2 Likes

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by kodded(m): 10:51am On Jun 04, 2015
tongue
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 04, 2015
Fuel subsidy is good for the people...
But top officials in the zoo has hijacked it tho the apex...
Buhari they need it but tackle the impunity in the subsidy scam...
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by tucky200(m): 10:52am On Jun 04, 2015
Good to know
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by kingslly(m): 10:55am On Jun 04, 2015
Where the f**k is the subsidy TUC wants to fight for. It seems they've been sleeping. It seems all TUC does is to oppose the Government without thinking angry
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by eagleeye2: 10:55am On Jun 04, 2015
Funny country.
If it weren't for TUC, and the OCCUPY Nigeria nonsense in 2012 we would have moved forwarder than subsidy.
It will be fun though watching those who spearheaded OCCUPY Nigeria, turn around to support the removal of SUBSIDY.
Some of us were made fun for supporting the removal of SUBSIDY then.
Siddon look na dog name.

3 Likes

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Flets: 10:56am On Jun 04, 2015
LOL
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 04, 2015
I supported the resistance for the removal of subsidy in 2012 because there wasn't any palliative on ground in the first instance and it will create room for the marketers to RIP Nigerians to silly, which will affect our living, shut down jobs and cause a big blow to the economy.

I will resist the removal by Buhari except palliatives are provided. It is not about politics this time but about livelihood.

3 Likes

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by ba7man(m): 11:01am On Jun 04, 2015
eagleeye2:
Funny country.
If it weren't for TUC, and the OCCUPY Nigeria nonsense in 2012 we would have moved forwarder than subsidy.
It will be fun though watching those who spearheaded OCCUPY Nigeria, turn around to support the removal of SUBSIDY.
Some of us were made fun for supporting the removal of SUBSIDY then.
Siddon look na dog name.
Our fears was not the subsidy removal but the corruption in that sector which wasn't being tackled before its removal.

If fully removed then, GEJ and his cronies would have still looted whatever excess funds was saved.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by HzRF(m): 11:07am On Jun 04, 2015
nickxtra:
Resist it and Nigerians will resist you
By sitting down in ur room
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by SkySpirit(m): 11:07am On Jun 04, 2015
Subsidy shouldnt be removed until our refineries starts working so that fuel price would drop.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by focus7: 11:12am On Jun 04, 2015
TUC can roast in hell for all I care. Not again wwill we allow these bunch rogues hold us to ransom or dictate how Nigeria should be run again. Subsidy they told us is for our benefit but it turned out to be conduit for them to suck our treasury. We don't want subsidy, the government should give us refinery and stop importing fuel, then they should give the price to be buying without subsidy.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by focus7: 11:13am On Jun 04, 2015
barcanista:
I supported the resistance for the removal of subsidy in 2012 because there wasn't any palliative on ground in the first instance and it will create room for the marketers to RIP Nigerians to silly, which will affect our living, shut down jobs and cause a big blow to the economy.

I will resist the removal by Buhari except palliatives are provided. It is not about politics this time but about livelihood.
I beg who is this one?

1 Like

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by nickxtra(m): 11:16am On Jun 04, 2015
HzRF:

By sitting down in ur room
Profile who is commenting before such a comment. A mobilizer, activist, unionist talking.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by eagleeye2: 11:17am On Jun 04, 2015
ba7man:
Our fears was not the subsidy removal but the corruption in that sector which wasn't being tackled before its removal.

If fully removed then, GEJ and his cronies would have still looted whatever excess funds was saved.
And has the CORRUPTION IN THAT SECTOR been tackled?
IF FULLY REMOVED NOW, WON'T SOME OTHER PEOPLE NOT LOOT THE EXCESS FUNDS
Nota Bene.
You can't beat the Rich at their game. Head or Tell, they will still win. And in Nigeria, the Rich are mostly the ELITES and your so called LEADERS.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 04, 2015
Let there be subsidy, the govt need to cut down on the cabal.
Babaonechance can fight the cabals so no shaking
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by jorlons(m): 11:22am On Jun 04, 2015
Kai Agama lizard na heavy otondo. See the incoherent shayt he's talking about.

Nigerians resisted the removal of subsidy because the government in power then (GEJ and his cronies) where totally untrustworthy, but now we have somebody we can trust. So if PMB decides to remove fuel subsidy (which he should) Nigerians will support him and if you and your Union try anything silly, we (well meaning Nigerians) will resist you.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 04, 2015
www.nairaland.com/barcanista
focus7:
I beg who is this one?
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by ba7man(m): 11:26am On Jun 04, 2015
eagleeye2:

And has the CORRUPTION IN THAT SECTOR been tackled?
IF FULLY REMOVED NOW, WON'T SOME OTHER PEOPLE NOT LOOT THE EXCESS FUNDS
Nota Bene.
You can't beat the Rich at their game. Head or Tell, they will still win. And in Nigeria, the Rich are mostly the ELITES and your so called LEADERS.
I'll still give this administration the benefit of doubt to ensure funds saved from the subsidy removal will be put to judicious use.

I never trusted the GEJ administration to do anything positive with it.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by eagleeye2: 11:32am On Jun 04, 2015
ba7man:
I'll still give this administration the benefit of doubt to ensure funds saved from the subsidy removal will be put to judicious use.

I never trusted the GEJ administration to do anything positive with it.
If I am correct, GEJ was elected President in 2011, after having served as a Acting President since 2010. But you couldn't give him the benefit of doubt (WHY IF I MAY ASK?)
Now, do you think EVERYONE IN NIGERIA TRUST THE BUHARI GOVERNMENT?
DO YOU THINK EVERYONE WANTS TO GIVE HIM THAT BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT?
You see why I say Nigeria is a funny Country.
Because I don't like the sound of his NAME or I don't like his FACE, so anything he says I won't accept. But when the tables are turned we are quick to sing a new tune.
God Bless Nigeria
God Bless His people in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by wordcat(m): 11:35am On Jun 04, 2015
otokx:
On your own

ON YOUR OWN. I write am for Kapital letters make dem TUC for see am well well.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by hedonistic: 11:39am On Jun 04, 2015
barcanista:

It's not even about palliative measures. No palliative can be enough to be felt and enjoyed by all Nigerians. What must be done is to ensure that the right framework is in place to make fuel prices same or lower when subsidies are removed. E.g fixing the refineries and building new ones or signing direct fuel import/delivery contracts between the federal government and top refiners abroad. Without that nothing else would work. If they remove the subsidies as things stand, prices will go up and I shall certainly join any uprising against the government afterwards.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 04, 2015
hedonistic:

It's not even about palliative measures. Nobpalliative can be enough to be felt and enjoyed by all Nigerians. What no must be done is to ensure that the right framework is in place to make fuel prices same or lower when subsidies are removed. E.g fixing the refineries and building new ones or signing direct fuel import/delivery contracts between the federal government and top refiners abroad. Without that nothing else would work. If they remove the subsidies as things stand, prices will go up and I shall certainly join any uprising against the government afterwards.
Palliative are MUST and a pre-condition for subsidy to be removed. The problem with your idea is the the FG does not have the money and resources to enter into direct supply of the product. Let me be very clear...

When the product is supplied, the supplier (Refining Company) will not wait until consumers buy off the product before collecting their money. That means the FG will bear the full expenses including logistics until the commodity is disposed. These monies are into trilions and not just billions. Where is the money? How can they keep that up?
At present the marketers invests their money, import the product, dispose the product and make a new order. The Marketers could afford taking loans but the FG can't afford more loans for this purpose. The Marketers are consortium and they can take care of their loans.

So my idea is that parlliative be provided so as to reduce the short term suffering of the masses while refineries are fixed and new ones built(we don't even have the money). When the four refineries are at maximal working capacity, theyr will be able to at least serve 70% of our local demand. Imports will be reduced, competition among the importers and the local NNPC will come in. This will force the price to go down drastically. When new refineries are built, there won't be need for imported product.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by jorlons(m): 12:14pm On Jun 04, 2015
eagleeye2:

If I am correct, GEJ was elected President in 2011, after having served as a Acting President since 2010. But you couldn't give him the benefit of doubt (WHY IF I MAY ASK?)
Now, do you think EVERYONE IN NIGERIA TRUST THE BUHARI GOVERNMENT?
DO YOU THINK EVERYONE WANTS TO GIVE HIM THAT BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT?
You see why I say Nigeria is a funny Country.
Because I don't like the sound of his NAME or I don't like his FACE, so anything he says I won't accept. But when the tables are turned we are quick to sing a new tune.
God Bless Nigeria
God Bless His people in Nigeria.

When I look back to the resistance put forward against subsidy removal by Nigerians (of which I was among), I think it's safe to say we did the right thing.

You'd agree with me that subsidy was removed partially, question is what did GEJ and his cronies do with the money to encourage a total removal ?? The answer is, nothing, absolutely nothing. They were rather using the money to sponsor various SCAM programs.

PHRC will begin its operations in the first quarter of 2016, Dangote's refinery comes on stream in 2017 this will boost our local refining capacity while at the same time cutting down on imports.

In addition, PMB may likely be handling the petroleum ministry portfolio so I have no doubt that whatever decisions he takes will be in our interest.

Cc lalasticlala OAM4J
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by CallPolice: 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2015
let them increase your salaries. Have something good to fight for and nothing that does not exist.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by eagleeye2: 12:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
jorlons:

[b]When I look back to the resistance put forward against subsidy removal by Nigerians (of which I was among), I think it's safe to say we did the right thing.
[b]
You'd agree with me that subsidy was removed partially, question is what did GEJ and his cronies do with the money to encourage a total removal ?? The answer is, nothing, absolutely nothing. They were rather using the money to sponsor various SCAM programs.

[b]PHRC will begin its operations in the first quarter of 2016, Dangote's refinery comes on stream in 2017 this will boost our local refining capacity while at the same time cutting down on imports.[b]

In addition, PMB may likely be handling the petroleum ministry portfolio so I have no doubt that whatever decisions he takes will be in our interest.

Cc lalasticlala OAM4J
When I started this debate I made a submission that head or tell the RICH/ELITES/LEADERS always win.
Now look at the bolded in your argument.
PHRC WILL BEGIN.............2016
DANGOTE REFINERY ........2017
+
PMB may likely handle the Petroleum ministry.
WHAT IF PHRC never begins?
So Dangote refinery will do what exactly? REFINE ALL THE PMS WE WILL USE AND GIVE IT OUT FOR FREE........(Elites)
Okay, you didn't support it then because GEJ didn't keep the portfolio in his office like OBJ.
And Buhari keeping the portfolio, he won't need to work with all THE CORRUPT PEOPLE IN NNPC or what? (Maybe they all became BORN Against?).
Now to the unhighlighted.......
If the Subsidy has been totally removed and partially, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO MONEY TO SIPHON IN THE FIRST PLACE AS SURE-P or whatever.
Do you now get my submission. Remove subsidy, and let the marketers go to the market and source their product and sell as they see fit, their by bringing about COMPETITION.
If A gets his for 100, he can sell for 110 or 120
If B gets his for 115, he can sell for 140 or 130

They are business men and at the long run the market forces will normalize things.
But now we are back at TOTAL REMOVAL OF SUBSIDY, which we would have done in 2012.
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by faithin9ja: 1:08pm On Jun 04, 2015
quote author=barcanista post=34415474]I supported the resistance for the removal of subsidy in 2012 because there wasn't any palliative on ground in the first instance and it will create room for the marketers to RIP Nigerians to silly, which will affect our living, shut down jobs and cause a big blow to the economy.

I will resist the removal by Buhari except palliatives are provided. It is not about politics this time but about livelihood.[/quote]

Palliative for what
do we have palliative for foodstuff or medicines?
do we have palliative for telecommunications?
we must we have palliative for fuel?

A nation where most people do NOT pay tax yet we want free fuel or reduced fuel why? we you give out free things those dividing the free items will claim some from themselves (just check yourself as a young man distributing drinks at your senior brother's wedding, didn't you keep drinks for yourself and your friends?),so the cabal or just doing what is natural, no amount of law or Buhari will stop , they will always find a way to pocket subsidy for themselves.

No subsidy
No government refinery
if we can't afford to buy the fuel , then everybody stay at home and the Dangote and Oando, Otedola, Ubah, etc with their proposed private refinery will drink their own fuel.

how many other African countries subsidise their fuel? yet they don't have people queuing for days to buy fuel in Ghana or even Kenya
Re: We’ll Resist Fuel Subsidy Removal – TUC by olasmith10(m): 1:11pm On Jun 04, 2015
Gaskiya

(1) (2) (Reply)

Etcetera Addresses Biafrans And Radio Biafra / Onuesoke Faults Oshiomhole’s Claim For Obtaining $75m Loan / Court Adjourned Bukola Saraki's Case against CCT Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.