Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. (23417 Views)

"Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming From Start / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 5:12pm On Jun 05, 2015
Last night here in Nairobi, l watched the weekly program agribusiness programme called Smart farm and got to watch this inspiring episode focused on Vertical Sack Farming, Where a man has been farming in a 45ft by 75ft space which is not even up to half a plot was highlighted. l will just do some commentary based on the programme but it is better one watch/download the 4mins video as it would go a long way to motivate one.

The vertical sack farming will do well for crops like lettuce, curry, parsley which would fetch good returns. For every sack, a mixture of 5 wheelbarrows of soil and 5 wheelbarrows of manure is needed to fill it. The 45ft by 75ft space contains 100 bags which has Spinach growing on the sides of the bags and Parsley on the top, it takes one and half month to harvest his spinach. An average of 100 spinach seeds around planted around each sack and the owner makes N200,000 monthly from the sales of harvest from the 100 bags.

Adapting it to our local needs growing lettuce around the sides and curry on the top will do well as l know these two fetch good returns in the market........l miss fresh curry whenever l cook stew! cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiQuuFsvzg

1 Share

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 5:13pm On Jun 05, 2015
More snapshots.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by noblefarm: 7:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
I have been trying to reach u @pavore, I dunno how to reach u so I decide to use here. pls how can u help me with apple seedlings, I heard its available in Kenya and one can send that to Nigeria tru DHL. I was told to contact kephis. can u help me out? I want to try it in Nigeria here. thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2015
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2015
noblefarm:
I have been trying to reach u @pavore, I dunno how to reach u so I decide to use here. pls how can u help me with apple seedlings, I heard its available in Kenya and one can send that to Nigeria tru DHL. I was told to contact kephis. can u help me out? I want to try it in Nigeria here. thanks

DHL? l doubt that! A seedling costs about N2,100 and one needs the KEPHIS Certificate to leave the country with it. lf you have anyone visiting Nairobi, l can help you arrange for the seedlings and the KEPHIS Certificate.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Bonj(m): 7:42pm On Jun 05, 2015
Would you be so kind as to leave an e-mail address, phone number or means of correspondence, i'd like to reach you. Appreciate it.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by baba11(m): 8:05pm On Jun 05, 2015
Thanks for this wonderful work you're doing....I tried downloading the video but it couldn't be downloaded... it got stopped on reaching 99%...do you have any help you can render me?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by noblefarm: 8:07pm On Jun 05, 2015
Pavore9:

DHL? l doubt that! A seedling costs about N2,100 and one needs the KEPHIS Certificate to leave the country with it. lf you have anyone visiting Nairobi, l can help you arrange for the seedlings and the KEPHIS Certificate.

sir, biko help inquire, I know DHL takes different type of cargos. I need just ten seedlings, I think it can b packaged in a small box/ctn. pls help me check if its possible and how much it will cost me. pls dis my email add. noblefarm8@gmail.com maybe we discuss there further to avoid detailing d main purpose of this thread. thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 9:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
baba11:
Thanks for this wonderful work you're doing....I tried downloading the video but it couldn't be downloaded... it got stopped on reaching 99%...do you have any help you can render me?

Go to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm

Then go to number 2 and paste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiQuuFsvzg inside the box.

Then, click the Download Video

A new window will appear displaying a preview of the video along with the Download links. Click on MP4360p and download begins. This what l use to download many of Agribusiness videos in my laptop.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by sil4all(m): 9:12pm On Jun 05, 2015
Thanks Pavore for the video....9ce concept I must say buh I didn't get the dimension of the bags...and also the type of bag used cos I heard it could last years if properly maintained
Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 9:34pm On Jun 05, 2015
sil4all:
Thanks Pavore for the video....9ce concept I must say buh I didn't get the dimension of the bags...and also the type of bag used cos I heard it could last years if properly maintained
Thanks

He said 10yrs. l will track the man and get detailed descriptions from him.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by baba11(m): 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2015
Pavore9:

Go to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm

Then go to number 2 and paste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiQuuFsvzg inside the box.

Then, click the Download Video

A new window will appear displaying a preview of the video along with the Download links. Click on MP4360p and download begins. This what l use to download many of Agribusiness videos in my laptop.
Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by lanre2009: 8:00am On Jun 08, 2015
Pavore9:
Last night here in Nairobi, l watched the weekly program agribusiness programme called Smart farm and got to watch this inspiring episode focused on Vertical Sack Farming, Where a man has been farming in a 45ft by 75ft space which is not even up to half a plot was highlighted. l will just do some commentary based on the programme but it is better one watch/download the 4mins video as it would go a long way to motivate one.

The vertical sack farming will do well for crops like lettuce, curry, parsley which would fetch good returns. For every sack, a mixture of 5 wheelbarrows of soil and 5 wheelbarrows of manure is needed to fill it. The 45ft by 75ft space contains 100 bags which has Spinach growing on the sides of the bags and Parsley on the top, it takes one and half month to harvest his spinach. An average of 100 spinach seeds around planted around each sack and the owner makes N200,000 monthly from the sales of harvest from the 100 bags.

Adapting it to our local needs growing lettuce around the sides and curry on the top will do well as l know these two fetch good returns in the market........l miss fresh curry whenever l cook stew! cheesy

Hi, I have been following your posts and i am really impressed by what you are doing. I will surely contact you soon. I noticed that this video you posted is on CITIZENS TV. I am able to get the channel free to air in Nigeria and I would like to be watching the agricultural programs they air. Please what time do they air the SMART FARM programs and is their any other agricultural programs they air. Please drop your phone number/email address. Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 8:34am On Jun 08, 2015
lanre2009:

Hi, I have been following your posts and i am really impressed by what you are doing. I will surely contact you soon. I noticed that this video you posted is on CITIZENS TV. I am able to get the channel free to air in Nigeria and I would like to be watching the agricultural programs they air. Please what time do they air the SMART FARM programs and is their any other agricultural programs they air. Please drop your phone number/email address. Thanks

SMART FARM is aired every Wednesday during the 9p.m news which is 7p.m Nigerian Time. Then Shamba Shape Up which is a show focusing on meeting the needs of the rural farmers in Kenya and it entails a make over for any chosen farm where experts are involved it airs every Saturday at 11.30a.m Nigeria Time. it is very informative. There are more in other TV Stations but they are produced in Swahili.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by lanre2009: 8:48am On Jun 08, 2015
Pavore9:

SMART FARM is aired every Wednesday during the 9p.m news which is 7p.m Nigerian Time. Then Shamba Shape Up which is a show focusing on meeting the needs of the rural farmers in Kenya and it entails a make over for any chosen farm where experts are involved it airs every Saturday at 11.30a.m Nigeria Time. it is very informative. There are more in other TV Stations but they are produced in Swahili.

Thanks. You forgot to drop your contact details...
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 9:37am On Jun 08, 2015
lanre2009:

Thanks. You forgot to drop your contact details...

Do a PM.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 08, 2015
Hydroponics farming(another way of farming): I came across this video, it was too inspiring not to share, you grow veges in a stacks without any use of soil (you dont even have to go to the village - all you need is space), you only use water mixed with all minerals nutrients solution that a plant needs- thats it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcF7joubfI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 1:16pm On Jun 08, 2015
denisfidha:
Hydroponics farming(another way of farming): I came across this video, it was too inspiring not to share, you grow veges in a stacks without any use of soil (you dont even have to go to the village - all you need is space), you only use water mixed with all minerals nutrients solution that a plant needs- thats it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcF7joubfI

That is Peter Chege, he is the number one person when it comes to hydroponics in Kenya. l remember hearing him on BBC saying he has been invited to Nigeria by a government agency.

2 Likes

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by LONGFELLOW02(m): 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2015
Pavore9:

wat other things can one plant inside that bag except lettuce nd curry. . .
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by lanre2009: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2015
Pavore9:

That is Peter Chege, he is the number one person when it comes to hydroponics in Kenya. l remember hearing him on BBC saying he has been invited to Nigeria by a government agency.

I watched the Live at 1 News program on citizens tv. They are going to be featuring a farmer that's into WHEAT FARMING @ 7PM Nigerian time.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2015
lanre2009:

I watched the Live at 1 News program on citizens tv. They are going to be featuring a farmer that's into WHEAT FARMING @ 7PM Nigerian time.

Nice you are following up, Smart Farm is very good seed that inspires ideas.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by world1(m): 1:35am On Jun 11, 2015
Pavore9:

The man is very humble, smart and versatile in hydroponics farming system.
By the grace of God i will be with him for intensive training on the 19th of this month at Zambezi, Kikuyu, Kiambu County Nairobi after the Africa Agritech program.
God willing come July 2015 we would start pratical hydroponics farming system training at Highhill Agri-Business Academy (HABA) Abeokuta, Ogun State.

@pavore,
Boss i sent you a mail that i will be coming into kenya next week, i guess you didn't get it because no reply from you yet.. please i will love to meet you in Nairobi kindly send you mobile number to me this is my e mail address donaslab@yahoo.com.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 1:45am On Jun 11, 2015
world1:

The man is very humble, smart and versatile in hydroponics farming system.
By the grace of God i will be with him for intensive training on the 19th of this month at Zambezi, Kikuyu, Kiambu County Nairobi after the Africa Agritech program then come July 2015 we would start doing hydroponics farming trainings at Highhill Agri-Business Academy (HABA) Abeokuta, Ogun State.

@pavore,
Boss i sent you a mail that i will be coming into kenya next week, i guess you didn't get it because no reply from you yet.. please i will love to meet you in Nairobi kindly send you mobile number to me this is my e mail address donaslab@yahoo.com.

l replied the first one which you sent on the 6th within 2 hours of your sending it and l did get automated response saying 'Am presently in a meeting, I will surely get back to you as soon as possible'. Even sent another mail yesterday, got same response! You replied neither of the two.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by world1(m): 2:03am On Jun 11, 2015
Pavore9:

l replied the first one which you sent on the 6th within 2 hours of your sending it and l did get automated response saying 'Am presently in a meeting, I will surely get back to you as soon as possible'. Even sent another mail yesterday, got same response! You replied neither of the two.
Thank so much.
Whaooooooo. That is my auto responder message. I will check my mail now am so sorry for the delay.
Am setting up a farm in Porthacourt and the network is so poor around here I can only go online between 12am-4am I will be through by Saturday so I can prepare for my trip.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 2:10am On Jun 11, 2015
world1:

Thank so much.
Whaooooooo. That is my auto responder message. I will check my mail now am so sorry for the delay.
Am setting up a farm in Porthacourt and the network is so poor around here I can only go online between 12am-4am I will be through by Saturday so I can prepare for my trip.

OK. Moving around will not be an issue for you. Peter's area is less than 30mins from Nairobi's city centre.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by world1(m): 10:59am On Jun 11, 2015
Pavore9:

OK. Moving around will not be an issue for you. Peter's area is less than 30mins from Nairobi's city centre.

Boss good morning.
Sorry for bothering you
I came to town purposely to check my mail but unfortunately i didn't get your mail please do me a favour please reach me on mobile +2348065220074. All I need is your mobile so I can call you immediately.
Since I have a boss like you over there I want to carry you along, i also need your advice on many issues raging from best airline, accommodation and registration for more short pratical trainings.

Thanks for your understanding
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by Pavore9: 10:22am On Jun 21, 2015
lanre2009:

NTV will start airing Seeds of Gold on Wednesdays (don't know the time yet) but it will be bigger than Smart farm going by the success they have recorded in their weekly magazine which is a pullout in Saturday Nation newspaper, making it the most sought-after newspaper in Kenya every Saturday. So be on the look out as it would be very informative though currently travelling l will follow it up as l stream the station online.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by boluwajokosegun: 2:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
Lanre2009 pls how can l get that kenya station free in ibadan , thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by boluwajokosegun: 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
This sack farming is real we plant yam in sacks in nigeria now & it does well . There are htc bags that last up to 20 yrs but expensive at start up but economical at long .

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by lanre2009: 5:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Pavore9:

NTV will start airing Seeds of Gold on Wednesdays (don't know the time yet) but it will be bigger than Smart farm going by the success they have recorded in their weekly magazine which is a pullout in Saturday Nation newspaper, making it the most sought-after newspaper in Kenya every Saturday. So be on the look out as it would be very informative though currently travelling l will follow it up as l stream the station online.

Thanks bro, do keep me posted as soon as you have the time and day it the program will be airing.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by lanre2009: 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
Lanre2009 pls how can l get that kenya station free in ibadan , thanks

Please talk to Malix (he is a nairalander) on 08091525901, he is the techinical guy that installed the free to air cable for me, maybe he can come to set it up for you at ibadan.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming, Earning More From A Smaller Space. by sil4all(m): 7:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
This sack farming is real we plant yam in sacks in nigeria now & it does well . There are htc bags that last up to 20 yrs but expensive at start up but economical at long .

Please I tried searching for details on the HTC bags online but no result...can u tell how and wia to get the bags....the price range also..
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Obiano Commissions Josan Rice Farms And Mill / Nigerian Woman Gets $7 Million Grant From World Bank / Short Report: Processing Groundnut For Oil And Cake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.