Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,790 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (50013 Views)

Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 12:15am On Sep 12, 2015
Having been disvirgined into vertical farming by Pavore9 thread and YouTube links on the subject, I must confess that it's the most educative initiative that can transform farming from a jungle activities to urban garden that can grow commercial food crop with immense profits and fun.

So I took the bulls by the horn to experiment with the idea.

1. I want to plant Sweet pepper and tomatoes. Technisem seem to have a good reputation. So I will be using their seeds

2. You wonder how I will get my vertical sack? From the popular Oja Oba Ibadan...from what I saw from the video, I should be able to find my choice. I intend to sew a black polythene inside the bag and perforate it accordingly for my plant. (I will explain why I am using black nylon lining inside my bag.

Panther 17 f1 tomatoes hybrid and the Nikita F1 sweet pepper hybrid seeds I bought today

I chose at random.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4ZxfkOaFA

3 Likes

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by LONGFELLOW02(m): 1:33am On Sep 12, 2015
Nice one. . . Following
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by kazy01(m): 4:23am On Sep 12, 2015
Nyc one oya kari go
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by miqos02(m): 11:33am On Sep 12, 2015
I dey here
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by hajlat(m): 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2015
What's the reason behind putting nylon inside the sack?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by jonaboy: 8:36pm On Sep 12, 2015
Following with keen interest.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 11:27am On Sep 13, 2015
hajlat:
What's the reason behind putting nylon inside the sack?
To keep the temperature of the soil warm as we will be entering the Harmattan season soon with dry cold wind... I am looking to preserve heat which will be helpful for the growth of my crops.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 11:48am On Sep 13, 2015
Nursery Bed Preparation.

Yesterday I went in search of the following items for my nursery bed.

1. Organic fertilizer : I bought 1kg for 150 naira.
2. Charcoal and ash...
3. Nets

Meanwhile so far these are the amount spent.

1g Technisem Tomato = 600 Naira
5g Technisem sweet pepper = 900 Naira

Organic Fertilizer = 150 Naira

And mulching materials... I will be uploading pictures very soon.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 3:51pm On Sep 15, 2015
Neem oil for my nursery treatment.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 3:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
organicfoods:
Neem oil for my nursery treatment.

Am observing your journey.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 3:56pm On Sep 15, 2015
Panther Tomato seedlings. I counted them all... Guess what! 376 seeds I got. I am expecting at least 60% success rate...worst scenario 200 healthy plants.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:01pm On Sep 15, 2015
Pavore9:

Am observing your journey.
Thanks bro!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
Mixing soil with organic fertilizer... I saw some nematodes and of course earth worms. I intend to keep the nematodes under check using the organic fertilizer and my home made pesticides consisting of neem oil and local soap.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by phoenixchap: 4:20pm On Sep 15, 2015
Nice development! Bro I will like you to post pictures of your sack and also how do I get the material? Also please drop the address of techneism, I need to visit them. Thanks more grease to your palm.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2015
organicfoods:
Mixing soil with organic fertilizer... I saw some nematodes and of course earth worms. I intend to keep the nematodes under check using the organic fertilizer and my home made pesticides consisting of neem oil and local soap.

How many holes do you have around your sack?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 4:27pm On Sep 15, 2015
phoenixchap:
Nice development! Bro I will like you to post pictures of your sack and also how do I get the material? Also please drop the address of techneism, I need to visit them. Thanks more grease to your palm.

Hope you got the mail l sent. Here is what the bag looks like.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2015
Mixture of black soap and neem oil!

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by phoenixchap: 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
@Pavore Yesboss! I got your mail, I hope we hear from our man soon. The sack material looks like NET for windows but I hope to have a feel of the material.. @organicfood KUDOS @least someone is taken the lead, I hope to follow your lane expressly without stopping. I hope to update here also feats as I achieve them. #THUMBSUPMAN!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
phoenixchap:
Technisem office is not far from customs office on your way to Bodija Ibadan. I am working out the spacing and sewing... When I am through, you will see pictures of them.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2015
phoenixchap:
@Pavore Yesboss! I got your mail, I hope we hear from our man soon. The sack material looks like NET for windows but I hope to have a feel of the material.. @organicfood KUDOS @least someone is taken the lead, I hope to follow your lane expressly without stopping. I hope to update here also feats as I achieve them. #THUMBSUPMAN!

More of shade net, the material is locally available so that sample will help you out with the sewing and I will look forward seeing you posting your first harvest from it on Nairaland cool. Yeah, kudos to organicfood, he has started out

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2015
Pavore9:

How many holes do you have around your sack?
I intend to have 42 holes per sack... The sack Measures 50inch by 28inches, normal super sack!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 5:02pm On Sep 15, 2015
phoenixchap:
please kindly alert me when you get the sample... The idea is too good to wait... So I am starting off with ordinary sack lined with black polythene.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by phoenixchap: 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2015
organicfoods:
please kindly alert me when you get the sample... The idea is too good to wait... So I am starting off with ordinary sack lined with black polythene.

I think I have a clear view of the material I Google Shade nets and I think mushin and Adeniji holds a large market for this, on getting the sample I will try to get the material and design ready and update you of progress.

I tell you the idea is too good to wait, I hope to see your sack pictures fully gagged and good to go too

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 10:05am On Sep 17, 2015
My progress with my bag was not encouraging, but with determination, I intend to make use of this waste bin, until I get a strong substitute for the bag.

The shade net has the advantage of strength, especially with the holes in them.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by phoenixchap: 11:43am On Sep 17, 2015
Is d waste bin an option? I will suggest you reduce the holes, the waste bin doesn't count for anything if u ask me, and if you intend to plant tomato you don't need to puncture the sac neither do you need a full sack from what I gathered.. I hope someone can correct me and buttress on this.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by miqos02(m): 2:04pm On Sep 17, 2015
organicfoods:
To keep the temperature of the soil warm as we will be entering the Harmattan season soon with dry cold wind... I am looking to preserve heat which will be helpful for the growth of my crops.
why not try out the used cement bags

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 3:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
phoenixchap:
Is d waste bin an option? I will suggest you reduce the holes, the waste bin doesn't count for anything if u ask me, and if you intend to plant tomato you don't need to puncture the sac neither do you need a full sack from what I gathered.. I hope someone can correct me and buttress on this.
I think the idea is to grow crops vertically. What I deduced from the concept are;
1. Water conservation, where crops can be grown all year round.
2. Utilizing small space by growing vertically... Reason for the need to have holes around the bags utilizing the soil properly.
3. Weeds and adequate pest control.

Nb: I will put polythene bag in the waste been to hold the soil firmly while allowing me sufficient freedom to space the plant as I want... All these are still in the drawing board though, I think I love the waste bin idea!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 5:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
miqos02:
why not try out the used cement bags
a very good suggestion... Never thought of it.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 5:39pm On Sep 20, 2015
Today, my new born seedlings shows signs of the age long rebirth... They came to life in numbers and I am proud they are turning out well in the nursery.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:56am On Sep 22, 2015
I can count close to a hundred plants..So far so good with Technisem seeds...

NB: I didn't sow all the seeds. I gave some to my farmer friends at Okeho when I went visiting... They were glad to see me, so I parted with the remaining seeds knowing fully well that I gave them what they will love.

Will be uploading pix soon.

Meanwhile I visited Ilero recently to see how our soy bean organic farms were doing and got this valuable information for you. If you are interested in growing cashew and needs free land then visit Ilero... Oyo state government has a moribund cashew tree growing project there where you can access free land owned by the government.

2 Likes

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Juliana7: 12:35am On Sep 23, 2015
@organicfood, tthis is lovely, keep it up, u are awesomely doing a great job, keep d info and pictures coming. Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by nikaShow(m): 5:37am On Sep 23, 2015
Awesome! @ organicfood, our eyes on you.

Progress with grace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria / See Snake I Found On My Farm While Harvesting Cassava / Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.