Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? (2172 Views)

Nigerian Man In US Cooks For His Wife And Children (Photos) / Maternity Photoshoot Of Pregnant Woman, With Her Husband And Children / Who Owns Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 6:16am On Jun 06, 2015
Please i need ur urgent opinion as regard a serious true life issue yet to be solved.

An uncle married 8yrs ago but got a job before the marriage. He put his immediate brother as next of kin when he newly got d job but changed it to his first child after few years. The uncle died less than two years ago. During his illness and burial his family were nt in gud rap wt d wife. The wife processed the death benefits from the coy without the core families of her late husband but with a nephew who has been far from d family.
Since d brother details had been used earlier in his work, the pension manager called d brother to confirm his awareness of d process going on by d wife, to their surprise he was nt aware, and there by pend d process. Now d wife has been sued by d family claiming to have signatory to d benefits.
pls who owns such benefit?
Must the wife alert the family (who doesn't care about her welfare) about d processing of d benefits?
Does any family member deserves share of such benefit?
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by dhardline(m): 6:27am On Jun 06, 2015
It all boils down to the name the main used as the beneficiary or next of kin.whosoever's name is there will be the one the courts will favour but to me the late husbands family is supposed to leave the money to the mans wife and kids irrespective of whose name is on those documents,if not all at least a bulk of it.

5 Likes

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Mynd44: 6:29am On Jun 06, 2015
The family should leave the wife and alone and go work for their money.

Questions like this don't even need to be answered sef

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Kagarko(m): 6:37am On Jun 06, 2015
To me religion and belief plays an important role here.
To my belief both parties will benefit from the largesse.
As we use these largesse we should also have it at the back of our mind thatj we will also die someday.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 6:52am On Jun 06, 2015
Mynd44:
The family should leave the wife and alone and go work for their money.

Questions like this don't even need to be answered sef

yes it need nt to b answered, but lawyers would neva let issues lik dis go and its beta said that why does some families behave lik dis wh leads seeking opinions. it pains me. the woman have been spending for d process, yet trouble from family lik as if they are nt literate. both families are educated for christ sake

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Mynd44: 6:56am On Jun 06, 2015
adanrygr8:

yes it need nt to b answered, but lawyers would neva let issues lik dis go and its beta said that why does some families behave lik dis wh leads seeking opinions. it pains me. the woman have been spending for d process, yet trouble from family lik as if they are nt literate. both families are educated for christ sake
Greed has the power to make the most logical human become unreasonable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by stinggy(m): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2015
Since the man successfully changed it to his son's name before dying, the court won't recognize the brother's case.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by teeboo: 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2015
D way husband's family act like say na dem kill d husband cos of benefits,some family sef never even bury d dead b4 processing benefits all in d name of getting it b4 d wife,SMH

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by AdimGreat(f): 9:26pm On Jun 06, 2015
stinggy:
Since the man successfully changed it to his son's name before dying, the court won't recognize the brother's case.
The Pension manager shouldn't have contacted the man's brother since the man himself changed his nok to his son. If he didn't have a nok or did not specify beneficiaries to his pension fund, then whoever comes first with the death certificate and letter of administration to apply for the fund gets it.
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 6:10am On Jun 07, 2015
Greedy inlaws everywhere...if the man died and left debts to pay with the bro as a surety, will the brother claim responsibility?

Move on..next of kin has been changed to son. BTW, the wife is a preferable next of kin, I wonder why some men use their children. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 7:13am On Jun 07, 2015
Jamean:
Greedy inlaws everywhere...if the man died and left debts to pay with the bro as a surety, will the brother claim responsibility?

Move on..next of kin has been changed to son. BTW, the wife is a preferable next of kin, I wonder why some men use their children. undecided

thks for your concern; stinggy who replied before you made me confront d woman immediately to confirm the nok cos i c no reason y pension should call d bro, but she confirmed she is the nex of kin and nt d child. so now am confident, the matter would go to court. something is fishing, d family ....seem to hv informant.
i wonder y some families are heartless.
They are claiming d wife wants to travel out wt d children and perhaps change d kids ' name (which is nt possible ) and even remarry.. kolo mentality.
i hope to share d development of d issue as more opinions and wisdom comes on this thread. some ppl are above d law in dis country smh

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 07, 2015
since the first son is too young, his mother is entitled to the benefits.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 9:09am On Jun 07, 2015
Nice move. Even the Bible says marriage ends at the death of one's spouse...the spouse is free to remarry, relocate and move on.

adanrygr8:

thks for your concern; stinggy who replied before you made me confront d woman immediately to confirm the nok cos i c no reason y pension should call d bro, but she confirmed she is the nex of kin and nt d child. so now am confident, the matter would go to court. something is fishing, d family ....seem to hv informant.
i wonder y some families are heartless.
They are claiming d wife wants to travel out wt d children and perhaps change d kids ' name (which is nt possible ) and even remarry.. kolo mentality.
i hope to share d development of d issue as more opinions and wisdom comes on this thread. some ppl are above d law in dis country smh

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by stinggy(m): 9:18am On Jun 07, 2015
Jamean:
Nice move. Even the Bible says marriage ends at the death of one's spouse...the spouse is free to remarry, relocate and move on.

If she will do this, then let her leave the children's surname unchanged and let her not take the children far from the family.
If she's planning what the family is accusing her of, then she's so wrong and the family should do everything possible to stop her!

Your siggy tho... it's about me shey? tongue grin
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 12:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
Changing the childrens surname is totally wrong and I do not support it. But about the children been far from the family, I am indifferent. She can take anywhere their lives will be better of.

Some of these families want promixity so they can monitor their life, rather than rendering prompt assistance to them.

@ my siggy..yes boo..it's all about you wink

stinggy:

If she will do this, then let her leave the children's surname unchanged and let her not take the children far from the family.
If she's planning what the family is accusing her of, then she's so wrong and the family should do everything possible to stop her!

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by emyemweddings(m): 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2015
stinggy:

She dere nt change their names
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 7:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
stinggy:

she cant change their names, the family is jus raising false allegations,in other to have a hold or issue. Although they are young and the kids hv travelled twice before their father death, i doubt if she would change their names. The lesson here is, marry ur tribe! What led to d allegation is dat they believe hausa girls don't mind to change kids name if found in similar situation, which a family member confirm true having witness similar case in sokoto. I dont know hw true, but i still doubt it cos she is learned. They are jus makin guess of d worst thing dat can happen if she travel out. Stopping d benefit cant make her not change name but rather annoys her hav d regret of her life...abi wat do u feel? This week the court will move anyway ...
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by stinggy(m): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2015
adanrygr8 what's the update? You said you'll gist us undecided

Jamean:
Changing the childrens surname is totally wrong and I do not support it. But about the children been far from the family, I am indifferent. She can take anywhere their lives will be better of.

Some of these families want promixity so they can monitor their life, rather than rendering prompt assistance to them.

@ my siggy..yes boo..it's all about you wink

But you changed it before I could see this.

I'm breaking up with you angry tongue
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 11:56am On Jun 22, 2015
stinggy:

lol...how are you?
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by stinggy(m): 12:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
Jamean:

lol...how are you?
I'm fine, you?

Trust you're having a nice day....
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2015
stinggy:
I'm fine, you?
Yeah. Going well. Take care.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Jamean(f): 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2015
stinggy:
I'm fine, you?
Yeah. Going well. Take care.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Daresh(f): 7:30pm On Jun 22, 2015
adanrygr8:
Please i need ur urgent opinion as regard a serious true life issue yet to be solved.

An uncle married 8yrs ago but got a job before the marriage. He put his immediate brother as next of kin when he newly got d job but changed it to his first child after few years. The uncle died less than two years ago. During his illness and burial his family were nt in gud rap wt d wife. The wife processed the death benefits from the coy without the core families of her late husband but with a nephew who has been far from d family.
Since d brother details had been used earlier in his work, the pension manager called d brother to confirm his awareness of d process going on by d wife, to their surprise he was nt aware, and there by pend d process. Now d wife has been sued by d family claiming to have signatory to d benefits.
pls who owns such benefit?
Must the wife alert the family (who doesn't care about her welfare) about d processing of d benefits?
Does any family member deserves share of such benefit?

What kind of question is this? Please use your tongue to count your teeth.
Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by coldgate(f): 8:26pm On Jun 22, 2015
What do the family of the dead man need his benefits for? Are they that broke? What do they intend to do with the man's money? What becomes of his kids? Are there medical bills that need to be settled. Maybe they need to pay for bills incurred during his illness.

However, from a legal perspective, next of kin is not necessarily the beneficiary of a person's estate upon his/her demise. An administrator is the person or persons granted that right via probate. Wickedness abounds sha.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 6:39am On Jun 25, 2015
stinggy:
adanrygr8 what's the update? You said you'll gist us undecided

sorry, still waiting for genuine response from pension manager. but uptill yesterday, d family who have been bragging for a suit against d wife is yet to serve her, while d PM said dey are yet to confirm from all parties lik d coy, court....this is naija
u will definitely get updates. thks for concern.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by adanrygr8: 3:52pm On Jun 25, 2015
Latest Update:

Unknown to d wife, family had moved against d benefits, instructed PM not to grant.( i ask myself, is this d best way to treat a widow? Even if she would travel out wt d children, is dis d best step? )

So far d PM had battled d issue, they debunk d cancellation of d benefits after a counter order which requested for some doc frm d deceased bro which he could nt tender.

Few hours ago wife was served a copy of letter from the family lawyer to pension M. not to pay her. PM jus fulfill formal notice and also granted d benefits before she got d letter or both almost same time.
Thk God family was nt above d law, this is naija. This is jus d beginning, we pray african/black lawyers are nt invited.
Pls let build our homes cos of tomorrow. Greed starts in a home. Train ur child to be independent. Truely, it became clear dat family members want share, even d elderly ones.

thks for ur contributions

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Death Benefits? Deceased's Wife And Children Or Extended Families? by Blessed200016: 11:42am On Jul 02, 2020
Pls anyone with an idea of what batch of death benefits (Gratuity) pencom paid last ?

It's urgent pls

(1) (Reply)

See Very Cute Little Girl Begging On The Street / Know Your Personality By Your Handwriting / Video:Women Are The Major Cause Of Domestic Violence In The Family- Angela Nwosu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.