Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Attributes Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Attributes Of God (4220 Views)

1000 NAMES, TITLES, AND ATTRIBUTES OF GOD (A-Z)WITH BIBLE VERSES / Attributes Of The Jewish God Yahweh / The Uncaused; Origins Of The Universe... The Attributes Of The Starter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 8:03am On Feb 19, 2009
This thread is to elicit God's attributes with Biblical references such that Christian believers are edified.All believers in the house are encouraged to contribute as the Lord leads.
#1:God is love- 1Jn4:7-9,1Jn3:1,Jn3:16
All the scriptural references above tells of God's love to mankind climaxed by Jn3:16 which says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".
We are also admonished to love one another for love is of God,he that loveth not does not know God, for God is love.1Jn4:8
Shalom,
Jesarmy
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 11:48am On Feb 19, 2009
Psalm 43:4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.
Re: Attributes Of God by jagunlabi(m): 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2009
Are we talking about the god of the old testament here?If so,i can mention a few attributes of this god that are anything but loving.
Jesarmy:

This thread is to elicit God's attributes with Biblical references such that believers are edified.All believers in the house are encouraged to contribute as the Lord leads.
#1:God is love- 1Jn4:7-9,1Jn3:1,Jn3:16
All the scriptural references above tells of God's love to mankind climaxed by Jn3:16 which says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".
We are also admonished to love one another for love is of God,he that loveth not does not know God, for God is love.1Jn4:8
Shalom,
Jesarmy
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 3:26am On Feb 20, 2009
jagunlabi:

Are we talking about the god of the old testament here?If so,i can mention a few attributes of this god that are anything but loving.
@Jagunlabi,
This thread is meant to edify believers,if you have no edifying words,pls. kindly skip.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 3:40am On Feb 20, 2009
God is holy
For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt,to be your God:[b]ye shall therefore be holy for I am holy.[/b]Leviticus 11:45
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 12:50pm On Feb 20, 2009
Psa 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.
Re: Attributes Of God by argent(f): 2:29pm On Feb 20, 2009
He is the I AM that I AM.

I AM the healer.

I AM your protector

I AM your provider

I AM your shield

I AM the way

I AM the light

I AM the lifter up of your head

I AM the peace that passeth all understanding.

God is incomprehensible, He is what you believe he is to you. The I AM that I AM[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Attributes Of God by jagunlabi(m): 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2009
Eer,excuse me, but the word GOD does not belong to any set of "believers" only,neither does it belong to any particular religious sect,so i have the right to contribute.I also believe in a GOd,but just not the psychotic one in the old testament.And,THANK GOD,that particular god is just the figment of the ancient neurotic jewish sheepherders' imagination.
jagunlabi:

Re: Attributes Of God by toneyb: 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2009
Jesarmy:

God is holy
For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt,to be your God:[b]ye shall therefore be holy for I am holy.[/b]Leviticus 11:45

Exodus Chapter 21, verse 1:

Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.

God is a very strong advocate of slavery and not only that but he completely endorses the branding of slaves through mutilation.

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

The God of the bible is the creator of evil and hence is responsible for all the evil in the world if we are to go by what the bible says because if the God of the bible had not created evil then there wouldn't have been any evil in the world.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 10:05am On Feb 21, 2009
God is no respecter of persons
"Tribulation and anguish upon every soul of man that doeth evil,of the Jew first and also of the Gentile;But glory,honour and peace ,to every man that worketh good,to the Jew first and also to the Gentile;For there is no respect of persons with God."Romans 2:9-10
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2009
God is not a man that he should lie
Re: Attributes Of God by jagunlabi(m): 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2009
Man made god into a man by projecting his weaknesses unto "him",and that is why he(god) lies.
Image123:

Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 8:58pm On Feb 22, 2009
Has He (God) said and shall He not do it?Has He spoken and shall He not make it good?
Re: Attributes Of God by toneyb: 9:06pm On Feb 22, 2009
Image123:

read the bible there are so many places where god lied. god was the first person to tell a lie in the bible.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 11:51am On Feb 23, 2009
Revelation1:8-I am Alpha and Omega,the beginning and the ending,saith the Lord,which is,and which was,and which is to come,the Almighty.
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2009
God is angry with the wicked everyday
Re: Attributes Of God by toneyb: 1:06pm On Feb 23, 2009
Image123:

God is angry with the wicked everyday

grin grin grin why doesn't he kill them all? Some christians pray to go to kill off all the wicked people around.
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 10:49pm On Feb 23, 2009
God is love
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 1:14pm On Feb 24, 2009
The Lord Jesus Christ is the bread of life.
John6:35
And Jesus said unto them,I am the bread of life:he that cometh to me shall never hunger;and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
God is a life giver
Re: Attributes Of God by georgecso(m): 2:33pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ Toneyb

Why are u angry with youself? Your statement is clear manifestation of long time unfulfilments and frustration (Pls don't take it as an abuse)

cheer up!!!
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 2:58pm On Feb 24, 2009
Psalm 43:4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

God is my joy giver
Re: Attributes Of God by toneyb: 3:16pm On Feb 24, 2009
georgecso:

@ Toneyb

Why are u angry with youself? Your statement is clear manifestation of long time unfulfilments and frustration (Pls don't take it as an abuse)

cheer up!!!

I dont know who you are but i believe i live a more fullfilled and happy life than you. are the christians on this board that go around mocking allah and moslems angry with themselves?  are their disparaging statements on allah and mohammed a clear manifestation of long time unfulfilments and frustration?   grin grin grin grin you guys are crazy. It's ok for christians to ridicule other people's beliefs but any person that does that to the christian belief is frustrated? grin grin grin

I don't blame you though, christianity has taught you that happines can only be found in jesus and any body without jesus is not a happy person but a frustrated one. the fact is that i am a VERY happy person, i have a good job, live a very good life which i believe is better than yours. Just to let you know a little about my achievements, i obtained my phd at the age of 29. i am a lecturer in a very good university in Australia and make a very good living out of what i do. I live a very good and happy life and i am in no way frustrated. The notion that any body that makes fun of your belief is unhappy is very laughable. but hey keep on believing what the bible tells you  grin
Re: Attributes Of God by georgecso(m): 11:24am On Feb 25, 2009
[size=14pt]@ Toneyn

So you're closer to me than I thought. Initially thought u're posting from the RED PLANET. Keep it up genius!!![/size] grin grin grin
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 12:58pm On Feb 25, 2009
Thy throne O God is forever Psalm 45v6
Re: Attributes Of God by PastorAIO: 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2009
toneyb:

I dont know who you are but i believe i live a more fullfilled and happy life than you. are the christians on this board that go around mocking allah and moslems angry with themselves are their disparaging statements on allah and mohammed a clear manifestation of long time unfulfilments and frustration?   

Quite probably/possibly the answer to those questions is a yes.

toneyb:

the fact is that i am a VERY happy person, i have a good job, live a very good life which i believe is better than yours. Just to let you know a little about my achievements, i obtained my phd at the age of 29. i am a lecturer in a very good university in Australia and make a very good living out of what i do. I live a very good and happy life and i am in no way frustrated. The notion that any body that makes fun of your belief is unhappy is very laughable. but hey keep on believing what the bible tells you  grin

I don't know you to make statements about your state of happiness or fulfillment but I'm sure that deep down you are aware that none of the achievements you've quoted are a demonstration of happiness.  Many have achieved more and end up committing suicide. 
Please note, I am not making any appraisal about your psychological state.  I don't know you to any level that I can do that.  I'm just making the general statement that achievement and social status is not the automatic key to Happiness and fulfillment.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 1:33pm On Feb 25, 2009
Jesus gives rest:
Jesus said "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden,and I will give you rest."Matthew11:28
Re: Attributes Of God by georgecso(m): 2:37pm On Feb 25, 2009
Jesus gives Hope:

" The world will hate you for loving me, (Paraphrase)
Re: Attributes Of God by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:52pm On Feb 25, 2009
"God is the eternal, independent, and self-existed Being whose purposes and actions spring from Himself. He is absolute in dominion; the most pure, the most mighty and powerful, infinitely benevolent, beneficent, true and holy, the Creator and upholder of all things; infinitely perfect and eternally self-sufficient; illimitable in His immensity and indescribable in His essence; known fully only to Himself. He is infinite in wisdom; He cannot err or be deceived and from His infinite goodness, can do nothing but what is eternally just, and right and kind".

- Adam Clarke
Re: Attributes Of God by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:58pm On Feb 25, 2009
Yahweh's greatness is infinite, His majesty is unique, His independence is absolute , His sovereignty is undisputed and indisputable, He is the Everpresent I AM THAT I AM, The mighty Strong One Elohim, The El-shadai All sufficient God, The covenant keeping never failing Jehovah, The only wise God, The Almighty God and The Eternal God. He is the Omnipotent God, Omniscient God and Omnipresent God. He is beautiful beyond description, too marvelous for words, too wonderful for comprehension, like nothing ever seen or heard, who can grasps the depths of His wisdom? who can fathom the depths of His Love?, To Him be all the glory and majesty, honour and victory forever and ever. Amen.
Re: Attributes Of God by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
Almighty God Gen. 17:1; Rev. 19:15.
Buckler Psa.18:2; 91:4.
Creator Isa.40:28.
Deliverer Psa.18:2; 91:3.
Everlasting God Gen 21:33.
Father 1Pet.1:2; 2Jn.3
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Ex.3:6; 2Sam.23:1.
Horn of Salvation Psa.18:2.
I AM THAT I AM Ex.3:13-15
JAH (Jehovah) Psa.68:4.
Jehovah-Elohim, Adonai-Jehovah, Jehova-Jireh, Jehova-Nissi, Jehovah-Ropheka Ex15:26; Jehovah-Shalom Judg.6:24. Jehovah-Tsikeenu Jer.23:6;33:16. Jehova-Mekaddishkem Ex.31:13; Lev.20:8; 21:8; 22:9,16,32; Ezek. 20:12. Jehova-Saboath 1Sam.1:3; Jehova-Shammah Ezek. 48:35; Jehova-Elyon Psa.7:17;47:2; 97:9; Jehova-Rohi Psa.23:1; Jehova-Hoseenu Psa.95:6; Jehova-Eloheenu Psa.99:5,8,9; Jehova-Eloheka Ex.20:2,5,7; Jehova-Elohay Zech. 14:5.
King of kings and Lord of lords 1Tim.6:15-16
Living and True God 1Thess.1:9
Mighty God Gen.49:24
Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent God Rev.19:6
Refuge Psa.91:2
Strength Psa.18:2
True God Jer.10:10;John 17:3.
Uncorruptible God Rom.1:23
Only Wise God 1Tim.1:17
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2009
2Corinthians1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Reasons To Abandon Christianity (part 1) / From Christianity To Deism And Back / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.