Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Attributes Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Attributes Of God (4224 Views)

1000 NAMES, TITLES, AND ATTRIBUTES OF GOD (A-Z)WITH BIBLE VERSES / Attributes Of The Jewish God Yahweh / The Uncaused; Origins Of The Universe... The Attributes Of The Starter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2009
God is longsuffering
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise,as some men count slackness;[b]but is longsuffering to us-ward,[/b]not willing that any should perish,but that all should come to repentance.2Peter3:9
Re: Attributes Of God by jagunlabi(m): 2:30pm On Feb 27, 2009
One elohim?Is that not a contradiction?The word "ELOHIM" is plural,not singular.Just thought i should point that one out.
OLAADEGBU:

The mighty Strong One Elohim
Re: Attributes Of God by slimtoney(m): 4:17pm On Feb 27, 2009
The Most Compassionate,
The Beneficent
The Gracious

The Merciful

The King
The Most Holy
The All-Peaceful, The Bestower of peace )
The Granter of security
The Protector
The Mighty

The Compeller
Supreme in Greatness,
The Majestic
The Creator
The Maker
The Bestower of form,
The Shaper
The Forgiver
The Subduer
The Bestower
The Provider
The Opener, The Judge
The All-Knowing

The Withholder
The Expander
The Abaser
The Exalter
The Bestower of honour
The Humiliator
The All-Hearing
The All-Seeing
The Judge
The Just, The Equitable
The Gentle, The Knower of subtleties
The All-Aware
The Forbearing
The Incomparably Great
The Forgiving
The Appreciative
The Most High
The Most Great
The Preserver
The Sustainer
The Reckoner
The Majestic, The Revered, The Sublime
The Generous
The Watchful
The Responsive
The All-Encompassing, The All-Embracing
The Wise

The Loving One
The Most Glorious
The Resurrector
The Witness
The Truth
The Ultimate Trustee, The Disposer of Affairs
The Most Strong
The Firm One, The Authoritative
The Protector
The All-Praised, The Praiseworthy
The Reckoner
The Originator
The Restorer to life
The Giver of life
The Causer of death
The Ever-Living
The Self-Existing by Whom all subsist
The Self-Sufficient, The All-Perceiving
The Glorified
The One
The Eternally Besought
The Omnipotent, The Able
The Powerful
The Expediter
The Delayer
The First
The Last
The Manifest
The Hidden
The Governor, The Protector
The Most Exalted
The Benign, The Source of All-Goodness )
The Granter and Accepter of repentence
The Lord of Retribution, The Avenger
The Pardoner
The Most Kind, The Clement
Owner of the Kingdom
Possessor of Majesty and Honour
The Just, The Equitable
The Gatherer
The All-Sufficient
The Enricher
The Preventer of harm
The Afflicter
The Benefiter
The Light
The Guide
The Originator
The Everlasting
The Ultimate Inheritor
The Guide
The Patient
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 2:21am On Feb 28, 2009
Psalms 48:14 For this God is our God forever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 12:59pm On Feb 28, 2009
God saves
Look unto me,and be ye saved ,all the ends of the earth:for I am God,and there is none else. Isaiah45:22
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 4:09am On Mar 01, 2009
Jesus saith unto him,I am the way,the truth,and the life:no man cometh unto the Father but by me. John14:6
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 4:03am On Mar 02, 2009
Jesus is the resurrection and the life.
Jesus said unto her,I am the resurrection,and the life:he that believeth in me,though he were dead,yet shall he live.John11:25
Re: Attributes Of God by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:08am On Mar 03, 2009
THE ATTRIBUTES OF THE LIVING GOD

Daniel 6:26a; Deuteronomy 32:39,40; Jeremiah 10:10; Daniel 4:34; Isaiah 40:28; Acts 14:15-17; 1 Thessalonians 1:9,10; 1 Timothy 4:10; Psalm 90:2; Revelation 4:9-11; 10:5,6; 1 Timothy 1:17.

The God of heaven is the living God.  He is the Fountain of life, the Giver of life.  All living creatures derive their lives from Him.  We all depend on Him, but He is independent, immutable, infinite and eternal.  He liveth for ever - His existence is from everlasting, as well as to everlasting.  He is without beginning, as well as without end.  How mysterious! Seeing He giveth to all life, and breath, and all things, in Him we live, and move, and have our being (Acts 17:25,28).

God hath life in Himself (John 5:26).  Here Christ Himself affirms that God is the source of all life, as He is the living God.  The living God is the eternal King who had been alive before time began and who will continue to live when time shall be no more.  He is immortal and incorruptible in His essence.  He is permanent, unchangeable and eternal. He is revealed as Almighty, eternal and supreme, He is the true God, the living God, the holy God, the righteous God, the merciful God, the faithful God, the mighty God, the eternal God.  He is the God of heaven, the God of heaven and earth, the God of the whole earth, God of the spirits of all flesh, the God of truth and without iniquity, just and right the LORD God of knowledge, the God of glory, the LORD God of truth, the God of all flesh, the God of peace, the God of all grace, the God of patience and consolation, the God of our salvation.  He is omnipresent:Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD (Jeremiah 23:24).  He is omniscient: All things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do (Hebrews 4:13).  He is omnipotent: Ah Lord GOD! behold, Thou hast made the heaven and the earth by Thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for Thee (Jeremiah 32:17).  He is the Owner of all things: Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD’S thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is (Deuteronomy 10:14).  He is a God of unspotted and perfect purity: Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity" (Habakkuk 1:13).  He is a God of infinite wisdom: O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!" (Romans 11:33).  He is good and merciful: God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)” (Ephesians 2:4,5).

For the free downloading of the audio and video message click on the link below and go into the "current Bible Study" hyperlink.

http://www.dclm.org/Resources/ResourcesDirectory/tabid/130/Default.aspx
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 8:14am On Mar 03, 2009
Psalm 18:30  As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 1:55am On Mar 05, 2009
To the only wise God our Saviour,be glory and majesty,dominion and power,both now and ever. Amen. Jude1:25
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 11:34am On Mar 05, 2009
Daniel 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Re: Attributes Of God by fantacie(f): 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2009
Jesus is the way the truth and the life.

with God all things are possible

He commanded and they were created

Jesus is the saviour of the world, except u bliv in Him u can not enter the kingdom of heaven
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2009
I am Alpha and Omega,the beginning and the ending,saith the LORD ,which is,and which was,and which is to come,the Almighty. Revelation 1:8
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 4:19pm On Mar 07, 2009
2Corinthians 7:6 Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 11:02pm On Mar 08, 2009
Jesus Christ the same yesterday,and today and forever.Hebrews 3:8
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 9:13am On Mar 10, 2009
Psalms 118:27 God is the LORD, which hath showed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2009
Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever.Amen. 1Timothy 1:17
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 11:05am On Mar 13, 2009
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write;These things saith he that is holy,he that is true,he that hath the key of David,he that openeth and no man shutteth;and shutteth,and no man openeth; Revelation 4:7
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 2:14am On Mar 17, 2009
As long as I am in the world,I am the light of the world. John 9:5
Re: Attributes Of God by Spoofed(m): 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2009
why doesn't he kill them all? Some christians pray to go to kill off all the wicked people around.

I personally pray for the wicked to change and repent.
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 2:37am On Mar 19, 2009
Psalms 59:17 Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defense, and the God of my mercy.
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 3:08am On Mar 19, 2009
Jesus gives rest,
Come unto me,all ye that labour and are heavy laden,and I will give you rest. Mathew 11:28
Re: Attributes Of God by tnk24: 4:04am On Mar 19, 2009
Jesus the Shepherd

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door
but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber;
but he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

John 10:1-2
Re: Attributes Of God by tnk24: 4:11am On Mar 19, 2009
Jesus: The Generous Giver

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God,
who gives to all men generously and without reproaching,
and it will be given him.

James 1:5
Re: Attributes Of God by Image123(m): 2:10am On Mar 22, 2009
Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.
Re: Attributes Of God by anonimi: 11:40am On Mar 22, 2009
May be useful to ponder on the article below in relation to our understanding of God's attributes.
-------------------
Africa needs development, not God
By Leo Igwe

MY attention was drawn to an article "As an Atheist I truly believe Africa needs God" published on December 27, 2008 in the Time On-line in the UK. Personally, I found that piece deeply flawed, shallow, narrow and potentially misleading. The article is a misreading of the situation in Africa, and a misinterpretation of what Africa needs to walk tall in this 21st century.

From his experience living with missionaries in Africa and returning 45 years later to witness the work of a British Christian charity, Pump Aid that helped rural Malawians install pumps and keep their village wells sealed and clean, Matthew Parris concluded that missionaries not aid money or the secular NGOs. God, not education or training was what Africa needed to grow, develop and emerge in this Century. He maintained that Christian faith was what Africa required to conquer fear, anxiety, a tribal belief system that has ground down their individual spirit and curiosity.

I mean, nothing can be farther from the truth. First of all, I want to know, when Parris says Africa needs God, which God is he talking about. As an atheist, he doesn't believe in the existence of God. So how did he come about the God he thought Africa needed?

Maybe a 'simple pump' in a rural community suddenly became an evidence of God's existence? Or the relative security he enjoyed near mission houses while travelling through Africa'? Or the missionary schools and hospitals in African villages? I mean, if these missionary schemes were enough to shake or embarrass Parris' growing belief that there is no God, then he is not a confirmed atheist.

Alright, let's assume that Parris has suddenly realised that God exists. Which God did he think Africa needed that the continent does not have? Is it the tribal God? We have it in thousands. Or the Jewish God? Or the Christian God? Or the Islamic God? Which bloody deity does he think Africa lacks? None. In fact Africa is filled with Gods. The black continent is a den of deities. Obviously Parris meant the Christian God - the post reformation and post Luther Jesus God. Particularly that brand packaged and propagated by European missionaries through the installation of pumps and building of schools and hospitals. At this point I want to state that missionaries have been coming to Africa for centuries. In Nigeria, missionary work is over 200 years old. In fact some parts of Africa like Nigeria and Ghana have started sending locals to go and re-evangelise and bring God back to Europe and America. (I mean which Africa is Parris really talking about).

In his article Parris failed to differentiate missionary God from missionary good or better what appears to be missionary good. The missionary god, like all other gods is a myth, a sacred fantasy and an illusion. While the mission good is real - a real attempt to spread and propagate the 'God delusion'. And I want to stress that the missionary good is not an evidence for the existence of the missionary god. Parris just allowed himself to be carried away or be seduced - by what he witnessed as some missionary good. He refused to take a critical look at it.

No doubt missionaries have executed many humanitarian projects on the continent that have impacted positively on the lives of Africans. But these projects as helpful as they are or may appear to be are Trojan Horses. They are baits - evangelising weapons which missionaries use to get Africans to embrace Christianity. Missionary schools are religious indoctrination centres. Missionaries do not educate Africans to think for themselves or to exercise and express their individual curiosity and thought. They educate Africans to become slave to Christianity and to accept blindly and not to question, or challenge the Christian god, the Christian doctrines and the Christian dogmas.

In most cases, missionaries locate their projects in rural areas. And these are places where people are not just desperately in need. These are places, where people are very ignorant, very gullible, and prone to being exploited. In most cases missionary schools and institutions are located on lands acquired and appropriated by force, without compensation or under false pretences like furthering the work of God, from poor rural peasants.

It is true that at missionary hospitals they heal the sick. They also kill by denying women their rights to abortion and to reproductive health services. Missionary hospitals in Nigeria carry out forced baptism on infants and forced conversion on death bed and forced administration of sacraments on patients. It is important to note that, in these hospitals, missionaries heal the sick using scientific medicine not prayers or the power of God. They provide water by installing pumps, not by striking the rock with a rod as Moses did in the wilderness. But they will not teach Africans, the science behind their medicine or the technology of pump installation. Instead they attribute their work to god-the Christian god. So, the truth is that God has no hand and no place in the missionary work in Africa and Parris was greatly mistaken to have thought otherwise.

I agree with Matthew Parris that African thought is driven by anxiety, fear of evil spirits, of witches and wizard etc. The same is applicable to Christianity and also to all religions so, Christian evangelism cannot liberate the African, mind or help cast off the crushing tribal group-think that hampers its development. The removal of Christian evangelism will not turn Africa into a place of chaos, confusion and superstition. (The continent is already a basket case with missionaries everywhere). Because Christianity is a superstition - a mind-enslaving and intellect-numbing superstition. What Christian evangelism has done and is doing in Africa is to replace one superstitious system with another or to reinforce the existing ones. Christian evangelism sanctioned and sanctified witch hunt, sexism, the persecution of gays, oppression and discrimination against non-believers, and other atrocities and crimes against humanity.

To emerge in this 21st century, Africa does not need God or a re-invasion by missionaries. Africa needs the Good. Africa needs good governance, good infrastructure, good roads, good schools, college, and universities. Africans need a sound education and training system that would make them to think, create, criticise debate, invent, and innovate freely. As Francis Bacon said, knowledge is power. Africans need an educational programme that empowers them to discover, express and actualise their potential.

Africa needs freedom. And this includes free mind, free society, free speech, free will, free expression of intelligence and free choice. Africa does not need a religion that shackles their minds and chains the intelligence. Africans need to rediscover and restore their humanity and human possibilities to the centre of their global perception ethics, education and belief system.

So Africa needs humanism, skepticism, rationalism, positive atheism, and free thought. Africa needs reasons, not religion, not Christian evangelism or Islamism or spiritualism or supernaturalism to experience genuine rebirth, renaissance and transformation. A popular adage says "catch a fish for a child and feed the child once, teach the child how to fish and feed the child forever. It would have been wonderful if Pump Aid had gone to Malawi not only to install pumps but also to teach young Malawians at the Polytechnics in Blantyre or at the University of Malawi how to install pumps.

So, all development aid, projects and programmes in Africa must be such that they teach, educate, inspire and empower Africans to fish, (not catch a fish for Africans) so that the people on the black continent can feed themselves forever. This is what Africa needs, not God.

Igwe is the executive secretary of the Nigerian Humanist Movement

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04/indexn3_html?pdate=110309&ptitle=Africa%20needs%20development,%20not%20God&cpdate=110309]Guardian[/url]
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 2:32am On Mar 24, 2009
For unto us a child is born,unto us a son is given:and the government shall be upon his shoulder:and his name shall be called [b]Wonderful,Counsellor,The mighty God,The everlasting Father,The Prince of Peace.[/b]Isaiah 9:6
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 3:26am On Mar 27, 2009
Jesus is the good shepherd.
I am the good shepherd:the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.John 10:11
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 3:26am On Mar 30, 2009
Jesus is the door.
I am the door:by me if any man enter in,he shall be saved,and shall go in and out, and find pasture.John10:9
Re: Attributes Of God by Jesarmy(f): 9:02am On Mar 31, 2009
Christ is our peace
But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
For he is our peace,who hath made both one ,and broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Ephesians 2:13-14
Re: Attributes Of God by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Mar 31, 2009
Descriptive Attributes of God
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran" (Acts 7:2).

There are seven beautiful descriptive attributes of God mentioned in the New Testament. The first was used by Stephen, who called Him "the God of glory" as he gave his defense to the Jewish council just before he was martyred and indeed "saw the glory of God" (Acts 7:2,55) himself as he finished his testimony.

The apostle Paul later called Him "the God of patience and consolation," while urging his fellow Christians to be "likeminded one toward another" (Romans 15:5). In the same chapter, he also called Him "the God of hope" in a benedictory prayer: "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing" (Romans 15:13).

To the Christians at Corinth, Paul wrote about "the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation . . ." (II Corinthians 1:3-4). Then later he wrote: that "the God of love" would be with them (II Corinthians 13:11).

To both the Philippians and the Thessalonians, he wrote about "the God of peace" (Philippians 4:9). "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly" (I Thessalonians 5:23).

The seventh of these beautiful descriptions was written by the apostle Peter. "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you" (I Peter 5:10).

Recapitulating, in this logical Bible order, these seven beautiful attributes of God (we could almost call them "titles" of God) are as follows: He is the God of glory, the God of patience and consolation, the God of hope, the God of all comfort, the God of love, the God of peace, and the God of all grace! No wonder we can honour and adore Him! HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/descriptive-attributes-god/
Re: Attributes Of God by tnk24: 8:19pm On Apr 01, 2009
The Indescribable God

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

You Need Your Church ( Pastor) To Be Your Covering (LIE)- Jesus is your Covering / Are Trinitarians Ignorant Of What Moses Said? / I Want To Become A Satanist Or Join Any Occult Group For Riches.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.