Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,723 members, 7,824,054 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? (13609 Views)

What Are D Gr8est Problems Facing Technologists(it Professionals Etc)in Nigeria? / Mainone Calling All IT Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 2:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
ps3o:

I on behalf of professional IT consultants will be happy to welcome you home to cause a radical change in the system

I'm a bit confused but can you explain the bold part? It's my assumption that most companies in Nigeria dont want to spend money on backend infrastructure as they dont value IT. They dont see the value of investing in IT Infrastructure and they complain that servers or deployments are expensive. How will a RHCSA and RHCE Certified professional change this? Are IT Professional going to start doing deployments and MSP cheaply?
How will they be able to educate companies on the value of having digital data? With electricity problems in Nigeria,how will IT infrastructure will be managed for SME?
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ps3o(m): 4:19pm On Jun 09, 2015
Skywalker5:

I'm a bit confused but can you explain the bold part? It's my assumption that most companies in Nigeria dont want to spend money on backend infrastructure as they dont value IT. They dont see the value of investing in IT Infrastructure and they complain that servers or deployments are expensive. How will a RHCSA and RHCE Certified professional change this? Are IT Professional going to start doing deployments and MSP cheaply?
How will they be able to educate companies on the value of having digital data? With electricity problems in Nigeria,how will IT infrastructure will be managed for SME?
it is of a truth that unstable electricity is a major challenge. but there are always ways out. IT world turns probability into possibility. I can't mention so many ideas over the internet. the difference a solutionist makes is by far supernormal when compared to tiro
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by spartanian(m): 5:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
ps3o:

with over 7 years of experience and good expertise, you've got no problem. many of my team also will be very glad to welcome u
cool
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
Skywalker5:

Other developed and developing governments are providing enabling environment and also startup loans and funds to SMEs but here we expect everyone to succeed out of nothing, no enabling environment, no funding, then we blame them when they can't succeed, are Nigerians magicians?

With the high cost of startup, running, market penetration, maintaining international standards, getting trained further and all, you can only get few successes in the industry without intervention funds.

Compare this to agriculture, if government didn't intervene and fund the sector, we would never be where we are today, and we would've kept blaming people in that sector.

We must identify the role technology plays in developing our country, and then pay attention to supporting it to grow, else we will never experience the expected growth and encourage new entrants, 10 years from now, we may still be battling on the same level
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ps3o(m): 1:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
spartanian:

cool
oh, yea!
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 4:04pm On Jun 10, 2015
greggles:

Other developed and developing governments are providing enabling environment and also startup loans and funds to SMEs but here we expect everyone to succeed out of nothing, no enabling environment, no funding, then we blame them when they can't succeed, are Nigerians magicians?

With the high cost of startup, running, market penetration, maintaining international standards, getting trained further and all, you can only get few successes in the industry without intervention funds.

Compare this to agriculture, if government didn't intervene and fund the sector, we would never be where we are today, and we would've kept blaming people in that sector.

We must identify the role technology plays in developing our country, and then pay attention to supporting it to grow, else we will never experience the expected growth and encourage new entrants, 10 years from now, we may still be battling on the same level

But what if the government intervened and fund startups for IT,how will it get better? At the moment, the mentality of most SME is not positive when we talk about IT infrastructure. How many companies are interested in e-marketing? how many companies believe in digital data in Nigeria? How many companies are interested in digital branding? I spoke about one insurance company before that had their staff using paper and biro because their server was faulty for over 3 months. Personally, that shows that they don't care about their IT infrastructure. I have hardly heard of a company whose server infrastructure is down for 48 hours in UK without someone being fired or someone's contract dropped.

I feel the solution is education and law. There has to be a policy about company data in Nigeria.Without that, i don't see much progress in terms of IT infrastructure. Only the big companies can afford to spend money on infrastructure like banks. Speaking of banks,after EOL for windows XP, i saw a few banks in Nigeria using Win-Xp (ATM machine and office PC). That was scary considering the fact that Microsoft stopped supporting and updating Windows XP.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
Skywalker5:

But what if the government intervened and fund startups for IT,how will it get better? At the moment, the mentality of most SME is not positive when we talk about IT infrastructure. How many companies are interested in e-marketing? how many companies believe in digital data in Nigeria? How many companies are interested in digital branding? I spoke about one insurance company before that had their staff using paper and biro because their server was faulty for over 3 months. Personally, that shows that they don't care about their IT infrastructure. I have hardly heard of a company whose server infrastructure is down for 48 hours in UK without someone being fired or someone's contract dropped.

I feel the solution is education and law. There has to be a policy about company data in Nigeria.Without that, i don't see much progress in terms of IT infrastructure. Only the big companies can afford to spend money on infrastructure like banks. Speaking of banks,after EOL for windows XP, i saw a few banks in Nigeria using Win-Xp (ATM machine and office PC). That was scary considering the fact that Microsoft stopped supporting and updating Windows XP.

The problem is not that companies are not ready to patronize and promote IT, the problem is the cost of delivery of the service, its quite expensive for them, and most people offering IT services hardly are equipped themselves. We'll not really understand these simple problems and solutions if we keep looking at the "big unatainable" picture of this problem. You blame IT service providers, have you looked at the cost of getting properly trained and equipped after training? How many people can afford that? Just few, and these are the people who have all the monopoly while the rest struggle with setting up themselves till funding comes by luck, We have to focus on simple solutions

I keep giving instance with the agric sector but people don't seem to corelate these 2 fields. Before when there was no funding for agric, youths were never interested in going into the sector because when you mention agric, people think about "farming", now there is awareness and funding, people now understand that agric also includes automated poulty systems which are no longer manual etc and they all want to participate.

Fristly, we need to provide funding to core IT professionals, not just people who learnt to use joomla and wordpress to infiltrate the system. Every IT service provider needs a business that can stay on 24hrs, that means, it needs solar panels and inverters, which can be setup with about 1million or more or less depending on the equipment you're running in the office. IT Pros, depending on their nature of businesses, need data centers and backup systems, stable and unlimited internet service, standard equipment etc depending on your business. This is the major condition for them to provide standard competitive services. There should also be some sort of internet policy in Nigeria such as reduced tax rates when shopping online as compared to offline, cheaper internet bundles etc, but first things first. Funding is needed, I have not seen any country in the world with high success rates without funding.

I believe we should stop this attitude of blaming Nigerians for the shortcomings of our government systems to provide services. I have travelled abroad and seen how people are succeeding based on conducive environment which includes startup loans and capital. Google would have been history if they were not funded because Larry Page and Sergey Brin became frustrated with lack of funding after being rejected by many investors, and decided to sell or drop the project until one particular investor decided to take the risk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Scammed By A "Nairalander" Andrew Siony John / How To Design A Free Php Login Page / Can't Subscribe To Glo Data Plan? Try This alternative and see..Trendsgadget.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.