Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? (13598 Views)

What Are D Gr8est Problems Facing Technologists(it Professionals Etc)in Nigeria? / Mainone Calling All IT Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by realGURU(m): 5:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
8bolz:
You wetin u read.do u knw how much 2 take a course on I.T. No talk again or
am a nuclear physist , why asking
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 5:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
Sagamite:

Nonsense!

The highlighted is a core reason a creditor should never give anyone with that kind of mentality any credit.

If you are an IT professional that works as a contractor, then it is highly likely you are well paid and should be able to save up to start your own enterprise debt-free.

If not, that means you have not put your investment in an IT area that experiences a shortage of skills or has any value to the business community. The fact anyone can make such a judgement, shows lack of entrepreneurship and, hence, someone you would not want to give credit.

The worst argument for the case of IT professionals asking for some start up capital is that the start up cost for the business and cost of business development is relatively low.

Much of the tools needed to develop a product is at low cost because of the amount of free resources available on the net and in opensource communities. So start up cost should be relatively low.

If you develop a product that is of value to a business or customer, they tend to take it up very easily without much selling because it gives them a commercial advantage or makes their lives easier. So cost of business development is relatively low as you can start earning revenue easily, even if it is at the lower spectrum of the business community.

If you can't do these, why would anyone be giving you credit?

I believe you said this from an elite point of view, or maybe IT to you is about designing a blog and making money posting information online to attract traffic. IT is more than that. There are IT consultants whose interest are in the core deveopment aspect of the job, they are the ones who develop some of the products we use in managing content on the internet, and there are IT entrepreneurs, these people don't neccessarily need core knowledge of the field, all they're interested in is making money by either getting professionals to develop a commercial product or something like that. And it is wrong to say that there is low startup cost for IT, it gives the impression that being an IT professional is about buying a laptop and bandwidth and browsing the internet, or perhaps using wordpress to design a website. This is so wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by horlajide: 5:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
kishimi8:

network based storage solutions .. .. more like a personal or corporate cloud.

. just Google nas
.. distributed storage systems are gaining ground in Nigeria .. , most state governments are moving their governance to electronic based stuff .. like kaduna and kano .. are now deploying some crazy e-govment stuff.. with elrufai at the helm of the project .. school management systems , customised erp for all government ministries, ,, and many other solutions ..

I get you now...more like PaaS, IaaS & SaaS
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by kishimi8(m): 6:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
horlajide:

I get you now...more like PaaS, IaaS & SaaS
yup
however forget the big grammer just know the tech and how to deploy it .. and customize to your client

we are progressing gradually ..

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ochejagabriel: 6:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
I have a personal experience and i have to agree with the OP.
First, Peachtree and Quickbooks should be banned so that we can develop customized accounting software for all nigerians

secondly, IPSAS should be banned and we should be given the contracts to build customized software

third, Govt should set aside 1 day in a month to be known as WEBSITE DAY. All people must transact business online that day

LASTLY!!! Govt should bring down the cost of INTERNET
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by darocha1: 6:08pm On Jun 07, 2015
MyInfoo:
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGERS NEEDED

The Company is looking out for strategic persons, to mobilize and coordinate the marketing aspect of WebGuru School Model, a Nursery/Primary/Secondary/Tertiary School Management Information System (SMIS) which enables the effective management of human resources and students' academic records..

WebGuru School Model is a Nursery/Primary/Secondary School Management Information System (SMIS) which enables the effective management of human resources and students' academic records. It generates sophisticated digital report sheets and comprehensive statistical charts reports which adequately analyze students' academic performance in applicable subjects. It manages the financial transactions (such as students' school fees, staff loan and staff salary) of the school. It is also capable of Short Messaging Service (SMS) automatic delivery of students' result notifications and school fees balance notifications to parents' mobile phones at a single mouse-click as well as Electronic Mail (e-mail) notifications. Our watch- word is "Flexibility and Sophistication at its Simplicity".

HOW IT WORKS
WHO IS A RESELLER/PARTNER
A Reseller/Partner is someone who gets 40% Commission on Setup Fee of N100,000 paid by a School and that is N40,000.
He serves as a brand ambassador or representative of the company.
FUNCTIONS OF A RESELLER
1. A reseller is responsible for direct marketing of our Web-Based Software
2. A reseller is responsible for the presentation of the software to the prospective school under them

SETUP COST
The One Time Setup fee is N100,000
TAKE NOTE: After a school is been setup, the school will also have a free 3 months subscription after the expiration of the 3month, that particular school will be paying a service fee of N2,000 monthly or N5,000 termly (3months range)

SALARY STRUCTURE OF A RESELLER
After 3months of setup of a particular school under you, you begin to receive N500 monthly from each school under you. Let say for example you have 100schools that have been setup under you then it invariable implies that you will be paid N500 x 100schools = N50,000 monthly so far that particular school continue to use our web-based software platform. This is aside of the initial N40,000 you get paid during setup.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens after 3 months of free Subscription and Hosting?
After 3 months if you continue using the WSM software, you should pay N2,000 every month or N20000 Yearly.

How is Setup done?
After payment we setup the platform for the school which will take 3days to deliver. And Access to the backend will be sent to the school in concern

Do I need any special hardware or software?
No. You can use WSM Software from any computer, anytime, from anywhere worldwide. We recommend using an updated version of a modern browser: Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Apple Safari.

Will my data be safe and accessible?
Yes. WSM incorporates the most advanced security solutions. We make it easy to access data. YOU WILL BE GETTING A PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE, WHICH INCLUDES: All core modules, all premium modules and all integrations.

You can generate 3 different kinds of scratch card
* Result Checking Scratch Card
* School Fee Scratch Card
* Admission Scratch Card

THESE ARE THE WHOLE FEATURES

ADMISSION MANAGEMENT, STUDENT INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, STUDENT ATTENDANCE MANAGEMENT, EXAMINATION REPORT MANAGEMENT, EXAMINATION MANAGEMENT, TIMETABLE MANAGEMENT, SCHOOL FEE, FINANCE MANAGEMENT, TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT, LIBRARY MANAGEMENT, HOSTEL MANAGEMENT, HUMAN RESOURCE, BULK SMS, STUDENT BIRTHDAY SMS, STUDENT BATCH TRANSFER, BLOGGING AND FEEDBACK

3 ROLE BASED DASHBOARD

PRINICIPAL PORTAL, STUDENT PORTAL, TEACHER PORTAL

DEMO LOGIN TO VIEW HOW THE STUDENT DASHBOARD LOOKS LIKE

URL: www.webguruschoolmodel.com/settings
Username: WIS2014100
Password: 123456

TO BECOME A PARTNER
Follow the Steps below to become a Partner

1. Visit www.webguruschoolmodel.com/partners
2. Click on JOIN NOW button
3. Fill your Real Names for payment of commission sake
4. Input your Email
5. Input a Unique Password
6. Input a Security PIN. This is very important you know it should incase you have issue with your account in future, its a verification method that will be used to resolve your issue.
7. The Textbox that say Referral ID: Put 123456
Without inputting 123456 you won't be able to register.
8. If you put a valid email, check your email immediately for your login details. A Partner ID will be generated automatically by the system and sent to your email. Make sure you keep it well cos you will only identify you with your unique ID.....

To Understand what I am talking about Read full details at
https://www.webguruschoolmodel.com/partners/howitworks.php

SOME SCHOOLS ALREADY USING THE WEBGURU SCHOOL MODEL..Visit www.webguruschoolmodel.com/clientele
www.earlylifeschools.org
www.beehiveschool.org.uk
www.divineoffspringschool.org

Tried chatting you up on whatsapp but no feedback.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2015
greggles:

I believe you said this from an elite point of view, or maybe IT to you is about designing a blog and making money posting information online to attract traffic. IT is more than that. There are IT consultants whose interest are in the core deveopment aspect of the job, they are the ones who develop some of the products we use in managing content on the internet, and there are IT entrepreneurs, these people don't neccessarily need core knowledge of the field, all they're interested in is making money by either getting professionals to develop a commercial product or something like that. And it is wrong to say that there is low startup cost for IT, it gives the impression that being an IT professional is about buying a laptop and bandwidth and browsing the internet, or perhaps using wordpress to design a website. This is so wrong.

I beg to disagree.

Explain to me what kind of products you are aiming to bring to the market you require government funding for.

What are you foreseeing to do in the IT sector?
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by MyInfoo: 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
darocha1:

Tried chatting you up on whatsapp but no feedback.

You can chat via 0 8 1 6 8 5 3 4 0 9 9 or send an email to support @ webguruschoolmodel.com
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by persius555(m): 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
The truth is IT proffesionals in nigeria are just not creative. Many would rather be job seekers than creators. Secondly, just like in the western world, proffesionals in this sector lack the business inclination to make a product sell. Thirdly, many IT proffesionals would rather go it alone than opt for partnership. Fourthly, the basic infrastructures like access to cheap broadband, poor power supply are very strong factors inhibiting the sector. How many of us have the courage to host our servers in our homes, the two above factors would surely discourage anyone. Fifth, the infiltration of quacks into the sector. Its amazing to know how much of mouthwatering govt contracts are hijacked by govt jobbers and subsequently outsourced to shady individuals and firms. Sixth, the bandwagon effect is also killing the sector, the IT sector lacks creativity just recycled ideas.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by horlajide: 7:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
ochejagabriel:
I have a personal experience and i have to agree with the OP.
First, Peachtree and Quickbooks should be banned so that we can develop customized accounting software for all nigerians

secondly, IPSAS should be banned and we should be given the contracts to build customized software

third, Govt should set aside 1 day in a month to be known as WEBSITE DAY. All people must transact business online that day

LASTLY!!! Govt should bring down the cost of INTERNET

You had better be kidding. Your idea is far from plausible

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by chybykee(m): 8:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Am actually thinking of being an IT Security Expert
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by spartanian(m): 8:14pm On Jun 07, 2015
I am RHCSA and RHCE Certified and will be back in Nigeria by next week, I will like to be enlighten more about the Nigerian IT economy in relation to Linux Systems Administration and how I can become an entrepreneur and make career from my Linux expertise considering all environmental, infrastructural and economic factors.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by LastProphet: 8:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
my younger brother is an IT grad with 11yrs experience and certified ccna, mcse and over 10 other IT certifications. he told me IT is on decline since at least 5yrs now due to some factos in the industry like:
1. lack of any meaningful regulation by NITDA - the body supposed to regulate. rather NITDA is a conduit for patience Jonathan throughout her tenure. same people hung with NCC
2. emergence of cloud services: this is one thing drastically reducing jobs here as rollout of local IT infrastructures and its attendant opportunities has declined in favor to of remote data centers in other countries
3. corruption - most big ticket IT jobs go to politicians and top gov personnel, then the real IT companies are contacted for subletting which affects employment capacity of these SMEs
4. internet service been taken over by Gsm companies
5. lack of power since there is limited exposure to PC use, infact in a place like Lagos u forget reading moment your neighbors start their generator
6. poor educational system as most graduates do not have deep IT skills, most of what people call skills here are just average home pc user skills abroad. an average american can format their PC and configure a basic home network both wired and wireless.

and so and so on my brother. IT has a future sha but its tough
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by LastProphet: 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
my younger brother is an IT grad with 11yrs experience and certified ccna, mcse and over 10 other IT certifications. he told me IT is on decline since at least 5yrs now due to some factos in the industry like:
1. lack of any meaningful regulation by NITDA - the body supposed to regulate. rather NITDA is a conduit for patience Jonathan throughout her tenure. same thing with NCC
2. emergence of cloud services: this is one thing drastically reducing jobs here as rollout of local IT infrastructures and its attendant opportunities has declined in favor to of remote data centers in other countries
3. corruption - most big ticket IT jobs go to politicians and top gov personnel, then the real IT companies are contacted for subletting which affects employment capacity of these SMEs
5. lack of power since there is limited exposure to PC use, infact in a place like Lagos u forget reading moment your neighbors start their generator
6. poor educational system as most graduates do not have deep IT skills, most of what people call skills here are just average home pc user skills abroad. an average american can format their PC and configure a basic home network both wired and wireless.

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by brushesz: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by kishimi8(m): 9:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
LastProphet:
1. lack of any meaningful regulation by NITDA - the body supposed to regulate. rather NITDA is a conduit for patience Jonathan throughout her tenure. same thing with NCC

you have said it all ,, you are quite articulate.. so what. is the way forward

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by brushesz: 9:45pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by deesdee: 10:46pm On Jun 07, 2015
There is a he'll lot of opportunity in IT but d problem with Nigeria is we have d population but we have few number of people with access to good Internet. I think dats where d problem is but there's a lot of opportunity in IT most especially on d internet like d online Business.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Aydesmond(m): 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
greggles:
Before I go ahead let me introduce myself. I am a certified database administrator and a professional website developer. I am a startup business owner with a small clientele but I am looking forward to expand to become bigger in the nearest future, but......

Is it only me feeling this or do other IT Professionals feel the same way? Are we neglecting IT in this country? We are supposed to be the technology drive force of this country but it seems most of us are struggling getting our feet stable on the ground. When I talk about IT Professionals, I mean the core ones who have either certified or undergone a certain degree of training in fields like Database Administration, website and mobile apps development, Programming and software development, systems audit, network administration, hardware maintenance and engineering etc.

I need answers, what is the future of IT in Nigeria? We see entertainment and agriculture growing in the country but I feel IT is completely neglected

It is my understanding that many IT professionals go into the field to be self employed or consultants, so they are entrepreneurs by this measure, but why can't we access loans and startup credit facility to establish our own companies and build on what we already have invested lots of money in? It costs a lot of money to get trained in IT so I think we deserve some credit and empowerment from government

I need answers and suggestions please. Thank You.

Seriously, av been wanting to ask that question...Though its paying here a little bit, but it seems we are not just recognised to crown it all, some of out designs are better than the *oyinbos*......For my mind...
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by LastProphet: 11:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
kishimi8:

you have said it all ,, you are quite articulate.. so what. is the way forward

look for an IT solution u can market, think, think, think, ......, until u did it. paid IT jobs are now shadows of their old self
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 08, 2015
Kishimi8 you definitely know your stuff!, I sent you a PM...web application developer here!

It's not enough to have an array of certifications.
Develop a product/service that increases the efficiency of people/businesses and also saves them money, with a few early adopters giving you feedback you can finetune your product to provide value that will help you garner traction and scale exponentially

For the peeps complaining of finances, you can cut down un-necessary expenses and bootstrap

For those complaining of power, relocate to benin, ghana or kenya for 3 months, where you can hack your MVP(minimum viable product), you can come back afterwards

Startups are not run like personal businesses, look for a partner(s) whose skills compliment you greatly. Partnerships are like marriages make sure you don't enter into a legally binding agreement you'll find trouble getting out from.

PS: software deployment contract jobs in Nigeria are like oil wells, I have seen someone retire for 3 years after one project, but these projects are not given out on the basis of competency, especially these days when every dick tom and harry owns an IT company

I'm looking to rub minds and form a mastermind of some sorts with a few daring good heads

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by erico2k2(m): 12:56am On Jun 08, 2015
greggles:

But like I said, I went into IT to be an entreprenueur, I've hardly applied for an IT job, infact, the last time I applied to a job, after interview, I was told that I was the best but I wouldn't be offered the job cos it would slow me down. The worst part of IT is having to deal with electricity challenges and the slow pace of growth of IT, I have a small clientele so its rather difficult having capital to invest on infrastructure ans take my business to the next level, its so hard getting a loan in Nigeria, I don't have a collateral, I need a loan, not free money, if I were abroad, I would be able to get one, but I wish you would appreciate how difficult it is here in Nigeria
my friend all you need is a laptop and internet connection, location is not a problem
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by reyadbd(m): 3:39am On Jun 08, 2015
want to do any work related to Wordpress then click this link https://www.fiverr.com/bir0611/do-any-work-on-your-wordpress-site for familiarize my service. I think this will helpful for you.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 5:48am On Jun 08, 2015
brushesz:

CITP stands for Chartered Info Technology Practitioner regulated by CPN. It's not for everybody please. Just like we have ICAN in accounting, COREN in engr, MDCN in medicine.

If the Federal Govt or any big firm is in need of some IT personnels whether for employment or contract, they will first go for CPN approved CITP.

I hope you know what that means.

I see.So Nigeria has its own CITP accreditation
? I thought it was the international accreditation.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by silentachieverr(m): 6:46am On Jun 08, 2015
DBA's are not so in demand as much as programmers are; especially Java Programmers. I can relate to your point raised.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by greggles: 6:52am On Jun 08, 2015
silentachieverr:
DBA's are not so in demand as much as programmers are; especially Java Programmers. I can relate to your point raised.

That's exactly my point. They're not in demand because they're being neglected. Do not forget our institutions, both government and private should be on databases. Police database, inec database, ministries' databases, banks are using lots of dbas, other institutions should be doing same too.

1 Like

Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by DonTim1: 7:05am On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by witken89(m): 10:53am On Jun 08, 2015
URGENT EMPLOYMENT!!!
HIGHCLASS GROUP OF COMPANIES NIGERIA LTD.
is a new consultancy firm established in
Owerri, Imo State Nigeria and needs to urgently employ only qualified persons to fill up these urgent vacant positions in the company;
1) Manager
2) Database manager
3) Business development Officer(BDO)
4) Receptionist
5) Software Engineer.
6) System Analyst
7) Site Supervisor
cool system engineers (5)
9) Lab Technicians
10) Drivers
11) Logistics/Procurement Officer
12) Cook(s)
13) Human Resource Officer (HRO)
14) Senior manager
15) Accountant
16) Network Engineer
17) Office Assistant(s)
18) Sales manager

REQUIREMENTS.
Nce, Ond, Hnd, Bsc, Btech, Msc, Phd & at least a good SSCE result.
Please Note:
1)Candidates Must be resident in either Imo, Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, States or within any south south states.
How to Apply:
interested persons should send their CV
to highclassplc@gmail.com, PMB 3039, or send the following: full name,
educational qualification(s), current location,
e-mail address, gender, phone number to the company's Human Resource(HR) on
08101690007. Only successful candidates would be
shortlisted and invited for the interview.
NOTE:
1)The interview date would be
communicated to ONLY shortlisted candidates.
2) Application closes on the 15th of june 2015.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ps3o(m): 5:10pm On Jun 08, 2015
spartanian:
I am RHCSA and RHCE Certified and will be back in Nigeria by next week, I will like to be enlighten more about the Nigerian IT economy in relation to Linux Systems Administration and how I can become an entrepreneur and make career from my Linux expertise considering all environmental, infrastructural and economic factors.

I on behalf of professional IT consultants will be happy to welcome you home to cause a radical change in the system
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by kishimi8(m): 5:17pm On Jun 08, 2015
another question to the house do certifications really matter ,, should't talent and innovativeness be that which will propel us forward
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by spartanian(m): 6:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
ps3o:

I on behalf of professional IT consultants will be happy to welcome you home to cause a radical change in the system
I am selflessly ready for the radical change but I need guidance from naija IT guys that are old in the game.
Re: Are IT Professionals Being Neglected In Nigeria? by ps3o(m): 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2015
spartanian:

I am selflessly ready for the radical change but I need guidance from naija IT guys that are old in the game.
with over 7 years of experience and good expertise, you've got no problem. many of my team also will be very glad to welcome u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Scammed By A "Nairalander" Andrew Siony John / 10 Best Adsense Alternatives / How To Design A Free Php Login Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.