Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,400 members, 7,819,424 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard (560 Views)

Jonathan Procured A Judgement To Disqualify Buhari - Press Statement From APC / Court Asked To Stop APC From Presenting Tambuwal As Candidate. / Court Asked To Postpone General Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by CharlesPhc: 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2015
ABUJA- The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court is currently hearing an ex-parte motion seeking to disqualify Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila from emerging as the Speaker of the House of Representatives tomorrow.
Justice Abdul Kafarati is presiding over the suit which was lodged before the high court by the Registered Trustees of Social Justice and Civil Rights Awareness Initiative.
The group, in the suit they filed pursuant to Order 26 Rule 8 of the Federal High Court Civil Procedure Rules, 2009, is contending that Hon. Gbajabiamila is not morally fit to head the third arm of governance in Nigeria, alleging that he was previously ‎”convicted in the state of Georgia for unethical practices and was debarred as a lawyer for 36 months”.
Aside Gbajabiamila, the House of Representatives and the Attorney General of the Federation were equally cited as defendants in the matter.
The ex-parte motion is being argued on behalf of the group by Human Rights lawyer, Chief ‎Mike Ozehkome, SAN.
In a supporting affidavit ‎that was deposed to by one Alojie Nmerengira, the plaintiff told the court that its investigations revealed that Gbajabiamila was convicted by the Supreme Court of Georgia in 2007, even as it attached a copy of the order of the court as ‘Exhibit A’.
Nmerengira averred: “That I am the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the plaintiff organization by virtue of which I am very conversant with the facts deposed herein.
“That the 1st defendant is a member of the House of Representatives who nurses the ambition of becoming the Speaker of the House in the next Assembly. That the 2nd defendant is the constitution body created to carry ‎out legislative functions for the good governance and advancement of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/breaking-news-speakership-court-asked-to-disqualify-gbajabiamila-over-us-indictment/
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by myweb(m): 12:21pm On Jun 08, 2015
Honestly there are times one get tired of all swinging opposing stories. I wont be surprise if by this afternoon there is another story to counter this. Nigeria I hail thee. Look at what Independent fuel marketers did again. Read here >>>>http://www.naijablower.com/ipman-plans-to-import-fuel-without-subsidy-payment/
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by crisycent: 12:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
I'm not surprised at all. Tinubu the national leader of the APC is an ex convict. He wants his gang of thieves to be in key positions.
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by doctokwus: 12:30pm On Jun 08, 2015
Mike Ozhekhome has not been known to win any serious case such as this.
With another lawyer,I would have said d plaintiffs have a chance,but with Ozhekhome that takes up any cade without doing proper research and detailed analysis on his brief,as expected of a lawyer of his standing, I wouldn't bet much on anything coming out of this.
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by DankemzI(m): 12:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nigeria a country a criminal can rule As long as he has money
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by obailala(m): 12:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
Opposition all over the place. What has Gbaja done to these ones again?
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by bodeloja: 12:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
It will not stand. Hausa want to use back door to collect the speaker, dey must think Tinubu is jona.daft. It will surely back fire. unacceptable! arrant nonsense!
Re: Speakership: Court Asked To Disqualify Gbajabiamila Over US Indictment -Vanguard by Ralphlauren(m): 1:01pm On Jun 08, 2015
the court case wont stand.

he was only barred for 36months. 36months has since elapsed which means right now (since 2010 - date) he is still qualified to practice in the state of georgia

besides, if his 'crime' was that serious, he would have lost his license to practice completely

(1) (Reply)

APC: A Progressing Crisis / I Remain Loyal To Buhari – Atiku / Wike Vows To Demote Traditional Rulers Favoured By Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.