Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,311 members, 7,819,058 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? (58955 Views)

9 Jobs In Nigeria That Dont Require A University Degree / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by dammytosh: 10:29pm On Jun 10, 2015
it is just to give those people chance.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 10, 2015
Hmm. Just when you thought 3rd class is useless some smart employers have decided exploit it to their advantage. This is classic example of thinking out of the box.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mbkite(m): 10:34pm On Jun 10, 2015
Ontarget:
Hmm. Just when you thought 3rd class is useless some smart employers have decided to use it to their advantage. This is classic example of thinking out of the box.
what a post!

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by babs01(m): 10:36pm On Jun 10, 2015
Mbkite:
na crime to graduate with 3rd class? 1st class graduate, go carry cup for stadium.
Ndo, Mabinu
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 10, 2015
CrazyMan:
Truth is most banks are beginning to realize that there's really no difference between 2.2 some 2.1 and 3rd class holders. All it takes is just a little brushing up and their personal skills would begin to manifest.

Also a 3rd class degree holder wouldn't complain much when paid peanuts because he knows that his chances of getting a better offer outside is very slim compared to a 2.1 and 2.2 degree holder. I believe that the bank is just trying to capitalize on that in order to maximize its profit.

This.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by beyoncausme: 10:41pm On Jun 10, 2015
its a great development...

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by yusufbida(m): 10:45pm On Jun 10, 2015
missKiffy:
There was one I saw of recent too, they wanted third class or HND pass

Where do they need HND wit Pass
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Spells(m): 10:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
Creating opportunity for 3rd class n that's cool... Their reasons might b diff though.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by eleko1: 10:48pm On Jun 10, 2015
Most peeps with 3rd class(hons)are victim ised by some useless bald men/women lecturer.Once dey gang up against U/u enta their bad register,Ur own don done bi dat.From missing script/oda Arabian tales.how do we explain a student who doesn't attend class/do CA score A/B and those who struggle manage to score miserable D/E?It is not brillant,nah the power of EGO/KONKO BELOW undecided

5 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by drnairalov: 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
greenhope:
The only reason is that the pay will be less than 30k

how can someone be collecting 30k as salary..graduate..'re u sure?
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by 9jatatafo(m): 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
Most thirdy are street smarter than 2.1 and 2.2 and they perform better on the job.

3 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by bbeautylik(f): 10:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
Abeg! No be by third class.... Let me tell you my story!
As at 200 level I was in pass(1.49)
As at 300 level second semester my cgpa was(1.97)3rd class. Even lecturers were asking me if I could still make it.
Ever since then nobody told me to sit up tight! I started having GP's of 4.00
And finally in my 500 level, I Ended up with a 2.2 in Engineering

To cut the long story short assuming I knew early I could have started up with the zeal!

NB : Do not underrate the potentials of a 3rd class.....

7 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by MevsU(m): 11:01pm On Jun 10, 2015
Gorimakpa1:
oh boy FIRST CLASS and SECOND CLASS UPPER are just way too proud.....they dont seek or entertain other people`s opinion they believe their ideas, decisions or opinion is the best and supercedes others

That is not true, pride has nothing to do with grade.

2 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by bamite(m): 11:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
orogodoganyin:

isnt that the difference btw 2.1 nd 2.2 as well? no point
dont mind the guy

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mintek: 11:10pm On Jun 10, 2015
Mbkite:
A friend that works with one of these new generation banks told me about a job that was advertized internally in the bank, with Third Class as the only requirement. I have been wondering why they should make the job opening for only Third class graduates. I decided to bring it to Nairaland for proper deliberation.
What do you think?

Perhaps they can only afford a "third-class" pay for the role. grin
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by millionboi(m): 11:12pm On Jun 10, 2015
triple09:
BECOME A RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) ENGINEER IN LESS THAN A MONTH
CONNIG TECHNOSERVE LTD, a first class Telecommunications Company in association with CONNIG ACADEMY is offering you an opportunity to transform you career.....In 15days!!!
It is an opportunity to be empowered as a Radio Frequency Engineer. Our training facility can boast of the following:
• A dedicated team of well qualified and experienced instructors
• A conducive training environment
• Theoretical classes
• Practical led class
• On the field training/hands on experience
• An opportunity for possible employment
Target Audience
• Training is targeted to equip undergraduates and/or graduates seeking to enter the competitive job market
• Working class Telecom Engineers needing to upgrade their skills
• Anyone who wants to change careers
• Anyone who may not have a degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences but wants a career in Telecommunications
Major Course Topics
• GSM/WCDMA Systems Architecture
• Radio Network Planning
• Technical Site Survey
• Radio Network Optimization
• Network Systems
• WCDMA Interference Theory
• Frequency Planning
• Safety
• Work Ethics
Class Schedule
• 6 days Theoretical Classes
• 3 days Classroom Practical
• 6 days Hands on Training in the Field
Course Fee
• NGN50,000.00 (Fifty Thousand Naira)
Course fee covers the following: Tuition Fee, Practical Fee, Exam Fee, and Certificate Fee
Commencement Date
Program is expected to commence on Wednesday, 1st July, 2015
....No contact,No venue?

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by millionboi(m): 11:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
charlesucheh:
Maybe it's specifically meant for cleaners and errand boiz!!!! If not, what kinda job would it be?
stop tinkin 4rm ur Anus na

8 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
Mbkite:
I think it's because of commitment. 3rd class graduate may be more committed than 2.1 n 2.2 graduates
It is more of a crowd control measure.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by eduxerxes: 11:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
bossOD:
it could be the boss is third class, I am I third class and if I am on the interview board I will not despise a third class.

my boss in the office is third class, but he is doing very well.
wow! E be like say Third class runs in ur office's DNA grin

2 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 10, 2015
Who cares if you are third class or first class? So far you can get the job done you are in.

4 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Gorimakpa1: 11:50pm On Jun 10, 2015
MevsU:

That is not true, pride has nothing to do with grade.
bro it does. if you think i am lying take a stroll around to confirm if its true or not....these banks know what they are doing. these bogus degrees will not allow one to have a flexible or malleable thought process which are core and central to creativity, entrepreneurship, problem solving and other invaluable vital skill one may never learn in school. most of these peeps are intelletually rigid.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Scarceguy(m): 12:04am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbkite:
A friend that works with one of these new generation banks told me about a job that was advertized internally in the bank, with Third Class as the only requirement. I have been wondering why they should make the job opening for only Third class graduates. I decided to bring it to Nairaland for proper deliberation.
What do you think?
I believe its a new dawn
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by seangy4konji: 12:15am On Jun 11, 2015
Have u ever thought that the degree factor might be outwardly propotional to thea delivery of what is stuck in his brain and economy or family issues might have been the factor that made him have 3rd class

No nigga would ever know when u see me man to man that i read MATHEMATICS and STATISTICS from University of IBADAN(2005) and on Nuclear Physics now as advance project for a UNI IN AUSSIE...

Nigeria will be great...

Where is my blackwood?

PS...My bllod brother finished third class and served in Abuja...enonomist from Ado ekiti...CBN recruited him and was in dat central bank abj and humble as he was,third cless ado ekiti but with potentials?He is a money manager now with HSBC UK and consult with standard chartered...

wake up with any class you have.

8 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by tonychristopher: 12:30am On Jun 11, 2015
We conducted an interview last week and most graduate couldn't write a simple proposal...so I suggested we look for third class.

Our education is in shambles . Most firm won't look at your certs but what you can do.

Left for me....I will go for pass graduates that can deliver

6 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by bigfrancis21: 1:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbkite:
What do you think?

Because of their 3rd-class degrees, such graduates are often motivated to work hard to prove themselves and their capability, compared to second class upper and first class degrees graduates who feel that their bachelor's degree status has proven their worth. Also, 3rd class graduates don't walk around with a sense of entitlement like first class and second class upper degree candidates do because they have 'highly prized degrees', and thus are easy to manage financially. Prospective employers can negotiate salary terms favourable to them (the employers) without much objection from the graduates, who are often happy and willing to accept the job offer in the first place, given the odds against 3rd degree holders in obtaining employment in the Nigerian job market.

It is often said that one's academic performance is a poor prediction of one's chances of success in the real world. In the real world, being 'street savvy' is the quality needed to survive and a lot of first class graduates don't have that quality. In this regard, 2nd-class graduates are often seen as more 'balanced'. A lot of more qualities come into play in the job world such as emotional intelligence, listening, team playing skills, social skills etc. Several 3rd-class graduates have graduated and gone on to the real world to become excellent movers and shakers of the economy. Think of Wole Soyinka, Tony Elumelu (who is rumoured to have a 3rd-class degree) etc.

These are basically some reasons I can give off the top of my head as to why certain employers would prefer to go for third class degree graduates.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Gorimakpa1: 1:11am On Jun 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Because of their 3rd-class degrees, such graduates are often motivated to work hard to prove themselves and their capability, compared to second class upper and first class degrees graduates who feel that their bachelor's degree status has proven their worth. Also, 3rd class graduates don't walk around with a sense of entitlement like first class and second class upper degree candidates do because they have 'highly prized degrees', and thus are easy to manage financially. Prospective employers can negotiate salary terms favourable to them (the employers) without much objection from the graduates, who are often happy and willing to accept the job offer in the first place, given the odds against 3rd degree holders in obtaining employment in the Nigerian job market.

It is often said that one's academic performance is a poor prediction of one's chances of success in the real world. In the real world, being 'street savvy' is the quality needed to survive and a lot of first class graduates don't have that quality. In this regard, 2nd-class graduates are often seen as more 'balanced'. A lot of more qualities come into play in the job world such as emotional intelligence, listening, team playing skills, social skills etc. Several 3rd-class graduates have graduated and gone on to the real world to become excellent movers and shakers of the economy. Think of Wole Soyinka, Tony Elumelu (who is rumoured to have a 3rd-class degree) etc.

These are basically some reasons I can give off the top of my head as to why certain employers would prefer to go for third class degree graduates.
you couldn`t have said it better, you just depicted the picture of my mind in words

2 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 1:23am On Jun 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Because of their 3rd-class degrees, such

Bigfrancis21 , your reasons are well thought reasons. Well done, boss!

4 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by haul: 1:30am On Jun 11, 2015
eleko1:
Check where 3 and R button dey for BB.I dnt have time to modify post.Since u see' r'u shud knw beta.

Don't mind him,his only brilliant not intelligent.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Godsonkemz(m): 2:57am On Jun 11, 2015
May be it was mearnt to bring hope to the hopeless. Its a welcome development but others with 2.2 and above should also be included to maintain a level playground. Unemployment also affects them.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 3:20am On Jun 11, 2015
people are asking you guys for the jobs details so they apply or inform those they know have third class about the job, but known is responding, even the one that started the message. pls do so the needful
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by fzero: 4:17am On Jun 11, 2015
The grade issue is one of the many reasons Nigeria is still where it is today. we think a person that has a 2.1 read very well in school.. what we need is skills to move this country forward not some stupid paper.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If You Have These Skills Employers Would Beg You To Work For Them / NDDC Skills Acquisition Training Programmes 2017 - Apply Now / Army SSC/DSSC 2016 Interview List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.