Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 8 - Travel (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (1079251 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Solo8(m): 1:22am On Jul 06, 2015
Gods1son:
@Solo8... Saw few manageable wears on 10dollarmall.com...are they terrible to buy?

Never shipped on those type of sites before. Usually Chinese knockoffs and/not safe with your payments details. I've never ordered things when I'm in niaja, so I'm not sure how much trust you guys that those will arrive and how much you pay for shipping. I personally wouldn't do it.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by lamama1: 1:51am On Jul 06, 2015
Hello, I've been following this thread nd I ve learnt a lot. Buh right now I am worried kinda cos of my health status. I applied for my Trv hoping for the medicals...buh am scared cos I am an SC nt an SS I m scred I might get refused cos of my status, moreover cos I don't ve a medical history with any hospital, cos my mother is a nurse nd treats me nd I don't Fall sick more than 1ce in a year nd this is due to malaria. Secondly, the name on my birth certificate is different from those reflecting on my other certificate cos I decied to make my nme a compound name(I added my father's name infront of my surname)when I wanted to enter secondary school...whereas the name on the birth certficte is just my surname. Pls I need your advice...I m dead worried even tho my faith stand well well.....thank you for ur advice.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by KELVIN086: 2:16am On Jul 06, 2015
Team16:

That is the most annoying part, I don't know if they receive them, they keep them and wait for others to come. When it's about time, they will now select the best amongst all cos am wondering why they don't reply. From my experience, the ones I've mailed. Few replied that they don't have space and others are yet to reply if there's space or not hence my guess. It's a guess not a fact. So i think if they've not replied is because they are still considering your application. I enquired from the graduate assistant n she said it ranges from 1 month to 1year. So i think if they've not replied it means it's still under consideration. The ones with quick responses might not have space. @all IMO

guy no use dat one give your self hope, if a prof does not give u a reply within one week it means they are not interested in ur application, these professors receive a lot of emails so dey hardly have enough time to give replies to everybody besides if you read the departments website it is stated there that if you dont get a reply within a period of 2 weeks it means the prof is not interested in working with u then they advice you to mail another prof. if a prof has some spaces for grad students and he/she is interested in ur application they would give u a reply and inform u on how to proceed with ur application.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Blackkie: 3:33am On Jul 06, 2015
Please house i need your in put here:-

I read Mass Communication {HND}, been working for long as a marketer and trainer in Stock Brokerage firm; how will the VO judge me when am applying for Public Relations-Corporate Communications?

My sister and a friend are my sponsors - my friends accounts is superior to that of my sister, who among them will be most suitable as the main sponsor?

Does the province where the school is, have any influence in the outcome of the Visa application?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 3:39am On Jul 06, 2015
toboy:

please can you clarify why it doesn't make sense buying winter clothes here? I thought they said clothing are relatively cheaper buying them here? 120 should translate to almost 20k if am not mistaken?
Faily used winter clothes sold in Nigeria are UK imports. UK winter is very mild and you would end up throwing them in the dustbin once the Canadian winter hits you. I threw mine in the dustbin. Don't waste your money.

toboy:
solo8 for somebody who would not be coming with food stuff (have a full year round meal plan in the dorm) what other nice gadget should the person get
Gadgets sold in Nigeria would be rated three-pin 220-240v apart from laptops chargers that are rated multi-voltage, Canada uses 110v. There is also a good possibility that Nigeria/United kingdom mobile phones would not work in Canada, they use a different type of technology different to GSM.

TheBae:
Firstly, it all depends on when and where in the UK you are shopping
Secondly, in summertime obviously, winter clothes and footwear are cheaper. So since I'm not currently in the UK or Canada and I can ship them down to Nigeria relatively cheap, why not?
I'm sure you know that this is the season for massive UK sales. Eg You'll see winter items originally sold for £100 now selling for £50 so why not take advantage of it. I personally prefer some particular affordable and quality brands in the UK, I can't really gamble with stuff that I'm not familiar with in Canada.
I've got trust issues. Lol

You could buy summer clothes from the UK. Compared to the UK, clothing accessories, shoes, watches e.t.c are expensive in Canada and their quality are not so good except you can afford to spend much more than the price you should ideally get them for in the UK. Ebay is also almost non-existent here. Do not buy winter stuff from the UK for the same reasons I gave to toboy above.

Solo8:

I can't think of any gadgets you'll need that you can't get here for cheaper. For me, the most valuable things are authentic naija food. I've never been able to find quality garri, they basically sell 'chaff' garri for like 10 bucks per 4 cups or something that crazy. So garri, yam, powdered milk, stock fish maybe (but I don't know how to cook, so my mom just brings it for herself)...things like that.

Trust me, you'll miss niaja food.
Hard to believe you can't find authentic garri in Toronto which has a larger African populace. The garri I buy here in Calgary is 100% jebu garri, quite expensive though. I get everything here all from Asian and African stores. My fridge/freezer is stocked up with vegetables (efo, ewedu, okro, scottish bonnets/habanero(ata rodo), egunsi e.t.c) and Animals - Titus fish (Norway atlantic mackerel), goat, beef, tripe(shaki), cowskin e.t.c.

The only foodstuff i don't get here is locust beans, stockfish and smoked shrimps but i get those from Nigeria with the helps of friends. I don't miss naija food at all since i get them all here. I had to involve myself in some serious netwrking to know where they sell all these stuffs though.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 5:22am On Jul 06, 2015
lamama1:
Hello, I've been following this thread nd I ve learnt a lot. Buh right now I am worried kinda cos of my health status. I applied for my Trv hoping for the medicals...buh am scared cos I am an SC nt an SS I m scred I might get refused cos of my status, moreover cos I don't ve a medical history with any hospital, cos my mother is a nurse nd treats me nd I don't Fall sick more than 1ce in a year nd this is due to malaria. Secondly, the name on my birth certificate is different from those reflecting on my other certificate cos I decied to make my nme a compound name(I added my father's name infront of my surname)when I wanted to enter secondary school...whereas the name on the birth certficte is just my surname. Pls I need your advice...I m dead worried even tho
my faith stand well well.....thank you for ur advice.

in my opinion ur health issue shouldn't be a problem.. when u go for medical tests they look out for communicable Diseases. what might hinder ur application eg HIV tuberculoses, STDs , syphilis Etc . did my medicals last week and my B.P was soo high about 150/100 it got me worried though and I still passed the medicals

Then ur birth certificate issue on my birth certificate I have 4 names on it along side my compound name bur I only use Two of the names my first and last name.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by tnuola(f): 5:24am On Jul 06, 2015
lamama1:
Hello, I've been following this thread nd I ve learnt a lot. Buh right now I am worried kinda cos of my health status. I applied for my Trv hoping for the medicals...buh am scared cos I am an SC nt an SS I m scred I might get refused cos of my status, moreover cos I don't ve a medical history with any hospital, cos my mother is a nurse nd treats me nd I don't Fall sick more than 1ce in a year nd this is due to malaria. Secondly, the name on my birth certificate is different from those reflecting on my other certificate cos I decied to make my nme a compound name(I added my father's name infront of my surname)when I wanted to enter secondary school...whereas the name on the birth certficte is just my surname. Pls I need your advice...I m dead worried even tho my faith stand well well.....thank you for ur advice.

Hello,
You should stop getting worried and hope for the best, cuz uve already submited and there's nothing anyone can do abt it.
Be rest assured that your sc/ss status won't in any way hinder your medical request from pulling through.

What you should have done abt the name was to get an affidavit done, but I doubt if it will also hinder ur medical request from dropping.
If your faith stand well well, believe it will end in praise, forget ur worries.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Graviton2(m): 5:30am On Jul 06, 2015
SeraSera:

You're welcome. I had mine done at VI and went along with a copy of the medical request document, a passport photograph, original international passport and a copy of the passport as well.

Thanks...I appreciate your help. Where in canada are you headed?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Graviton2(m): 5:31am On Jul 06, 2015
It's Monday.

Let's hear some good news!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 5:35am On Jul 06, 2015
Blackkie:
Please house i need your in put here:-

I read Mass Communication {HND}, been working for long as a marketer and trainer in Stock Brokerage firm; how will the VO judge me when am applying for Public Relations-Corporate Communications?

My sister and a friend are my sponsors - my friends accounts is superior to that of my sister, who among them will be most suitable as the main sponsor?

Does the province where the school is, have any influence in the outcome of the Visa application?

you are still on track your first degree is in line with what you wanna study as ur post graduate so u are good to go. (i guess u heading to fanshawe college)

depends on the amount on ur sister's acc and inflow the the number of dependants on ur sister eg kids. if she has above what will be enough to taken care of u it's OK. if you wanna use ur sisters friend as ur sponsor u need to really convince the VO why ur sister's friend would be spending alot of amount on u.

as for the province well we aint sure if the province has any influence on visa application cos we ain't VOs and we still don't know their reasons on some denials .we all just trying to put our heads together for a better result as they say 2 heads are better than 1

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 06, 2015
kennykentipsy:

in my opinion ur health issue shouldn't be a problem.. when u go for medical tests they look out for communicable Diseases. what might hinder ur application eg HIV tuberculoses, STDs , syphilis Etc . did my medicals last week and my B.P was soo high about 150/100 it got me worried though and I still passed the medicals

Then ur birth certificate issue on my birth certificate I have 4 names on it along side my compound name bur I only use Two of the names my first and last name.
They have realized almost everyone's bp is high here.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by mikkypel(m): 7:00am On Jul 06, 2015
What's the meaning of TRV and how do they get them in this thread, I am new though so I won't mind anybody showing me around
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Team16(m): 7:34am On Jul 06, 2015
TheBae:
Mine was even assigned to me by my department. So I wonder what the problem is sef.

I think it's dependent on department and school. If they get high volumes of application, it might be difficult for them to decide. But which school and what department did you apply to. @solo8 please do you have any input on this supervisor issues.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by tnuola(f): 7:39am On Jul 06, 2015
mikkypel:
What's the meaning of TRV and how do they get them in this thread, I am new though so I won't mind anybody showing me around

Temporary Resident Visa, you have to read this read very well to know how to get one, you can start from like part5 of this thread.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Team16(m): 7:41am On Jul 06, 2015
KELVIN086:

guy no use dat one give your self hope, if a prof does not give u a reply within one week it means they are not interested in ur application, these professors receive a lot of emails so dey hardly have enough time to give replies to everybody besides if you read the departments website it is stated there that if you dont get a reply within a period of 2 weeks it means the prof is not interested in working with u then they advice you to mail another prof. if a prof has some spaces for grad students and he/she is interested in ur application they would give u a reply and inform u on how to proceed with ur application.

Ok, thanks for that. From your analysis, I guess I still have time to wait cos I mailed them last week, Wednesday and Friday respectively. So it's not up to a week. Thanks, I appreciate.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 06, 2015
Team16:

Ok, thanks for that. From your analysis, I guess I still have time to wait cos I mailed them last week, Wednesday and Friday respectively. So it's not up to a week. Thanks, I appreciate.

Baba, dont just message, Call them!

But please, before you do, make sure to know very much about their research and what you plan to do under their supervision (Particularly what you will be bring to their group).

A good way to start will be to google their prevoous research works and relate it to recent advancement in your area of interest.

Dont just 'wait' for them to reply o. These guys get hundreds of emails from Prospective students like you - Some with very staggering academic profile - So you may not be lucky to get an audience unless you force something.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Gods1son: 8:02am On Jul 06, 2015
ferdimako:
They have realized almost everyone's bp is high here.
@kennykentipsy, my own too was in that range nd I was super scared. But #GODWIN
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by mikkypel(m): 8:03am On Jul 06, 2015
tnuola:

Temporary Resident Visa, you have to read this read very well to know how to get one, you can start from like part5 of this thread.

Aite, Thankz
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by 2grozz: 8:15am On Jul 06, 2015
Start of a new week, it is.
May all medical hopefuls receive their mails this week, amen.
May trv hopefuls get their calls this week, amen
May all those delayed receive grace to repackage and refire,amen.
May it all end in praise, amen
Good morn all

18 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by standupguy(m): 8:18am On Jul 06, 2015
Gods1son:

Omo B.P at a young age ain't right.

Watch what you eat, Exercise 1-3 times weekly, drink lots of water and find time to rest. Most people don't care about there health till they turn 50, when the damage would have already been done.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 06, 2015
standupguy:

Watch what you eat, Exercise 1-3 times weekly, drink lots of water and find time to rest. Most people don't care about there health till they turn 50, when the damage would have already been done.

Baaah!

I will think it came with the anxiety of taking the test and the fear of the unknown ( cheesy ) that most people have when they have to do things like that.

Hardly something to start a new meal regimen over, dont you think?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by tnuola(f): 8:27am On Jul 06, 2015
standupguy:

Lool.. Its as a result of the anxiety from the whole process.
Its kinda normal at that point in time.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 06, 2015
tnuola:

Lool.. Its as a result of the anxiety from the whole process.
Its kinda normal at that point in time.
I don't think so...living in Nigeria makes u hypertensive. Some rich kids may be excluded.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by SeraSera(m): 9:38am On Jul 06, 2015
Graviton2:

Thanks...I appreciate your help. Where in canada are you headed?

Stratford, Ontario. University of Waterloo. You?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by scarr: 9:42am On Jul 06, 2015
Good morning yall, please im a jjc on this thread and about travelling abroad, i would love to continue my education(post graduate) in Canada, i already have a Bsc in Econimics.......Please where do i start from?? Thanks in advance

cc
darefestus
tnuola
Team16
kennykentipsy
saxywale
justwise
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 9:51am On Jul 06, 2015
Gods1son:

mehn that tension was crazy.. the doctor had to ask me what is bothering me #GODWIN.. u don reach maple land?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by tnuola(f): 9:51am On Jul 06, 2015
scarr:
Good morning yall, please im a jjc on this thread and about travelling abroad, i would love to continue my education(post graduate) in Canada, i already have a Bsc in Econimics.......Please where do i start from?? Thanks in advance

Pls read from like part5 of this thread to have an idea of what's up, then u can come back to ask specific questions.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 9:56am On Jul 06, 2015
standupguy:

my parents are Medical drs we check our health status regularly... but that tension hoping not to get delayed... after my medicals my mum has been doing the BP thin for me and it very OK even still did it few minutes ago it normal
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by Dabigmax1: 10:01am On Jul 06, 2015
Good morning everybody, I want your take on this one I am 31 years old, I applied as a transfer student October last year to Brandon university Manitoba Canada to study management I have my ND, HND and NYSC certificate at hand and got admitted March 3rd this year. my maternal uncle is sponsoring my education. I finished service this year and I do no have a job of my own yet. my uncle has a steel company so he provided me with an affidavit of sponsorship, his company letter of incorporation from cac and his company statement of account for the pass four month with regular inflow and outflow of cash with total money debited of about 67million nd total money credited almost 72million and current balance of about 5.5million but the account runs everyday because it his company account. I used this and other relevant documents+ my letter of acceptance to apply online on the 19th of may nd I did my Biometrics on the 28th of may after then my tracking number was sent to me, I was sent a thank u message nd a message telling me dat my application has being forwarded to visa office Lagos and I received another message last month ending thanking me for my patient nd telling me that my cic account has not been undated since I last checked. when I tracked d application online it says dat my application is still being processed at d Canada visa office...pls house with all this what are my chances. thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by obig: 10:13am On Jul 06, 2015
My application is 51 days today that is about 7 weeks and still not received any update on my application.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by kennykentipsy: 10:14am On Jul 06, 2015
scarr:

cc
darefestus
tnuola
Team16
kennykentipsy
saxywale
justwise

first check for list of college look thru the websites of the colleges check for their requirements and how to apply after getting ur letter of admission we would put u thru visa application process

by clicking on the link below u would see list of all collages in Canada and the province. click on any school u would be directed to the website

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_in_Canada
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 8 by KELVIN086: 10:25am On Jul 06, 2015
darefestus:

Baba, dont just message, Call them!

But please, before you do, make sure to know very much about their research and what you plan to do under their supervision (Particularly what you will be bring to their group).

A good way to start will be to google their prevoous research works and relate it to recent advancement in your area of interest.

Dont just 'wait' for them to reply o. These guys get hundreds of emails from Prospective students like you - Some with very staggering academic profile - So you may not be lucky to get an audience unless you force something.

sir what do you mean 'call them' are you talking about international call, is that going to be possible and how do i go about it

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (401)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 / General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.