Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,412 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. (25819 Views)

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / Photo: Check Out How Orderly Lagos Traffic Was In The 60's / Photo Of Lagos Traffic In The 60's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
Adadio:
Your advice is a recipe for more of such attacks.Ever heard of been proactive?Things to do,Always watch out for them by being hyper sensitive to your environment.The robbers are usually out for a quick job.once at Mile 2 one just surfaced beside my car.I quickly got down and start ed shouting 'Police see him hear o'ol boy come see race.it was they I saw his second with him running over the expressway divide to escape.Commuters behind all came down to thank me shouty ole.In d dark it might be a little tricky though.It is not a bad idea to carry a rod or cutlass in ur car.Chanji Don come o.Safe trip.
Lolz.. You really are courageous!
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2015
PRETEND TO BE DEAF & DUMB.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Adadio: 2:34pm On Jun 10, 2015
Kizyte:

@OP Is Pepper Spray permitted in Nigeria?

Yes you can use pepper spray or even the shock baton.I know a friend who markets the shock stuff.it releases thousands of volts(static electricity) that's stuns d robber.good defensive weapon.U can get one for N7000 Maura.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by ogashman(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2015
the armed robbers go dey smile as them dey read this post so.grin
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by ogashman(m): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2015

the op has just made their work easier
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by slenjaman(m): 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
Your suggestion doesn't point out how to get them, rather how they can have a successful operation.... I hope you are not one of them.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by greatdave(m): 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2015
So there is "Soft Armed Robbery"?
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by dubbiskelly(m): 3:01pm On Jun 10, 2015
Some years back, I was coming home from work at about 5am and had a tire blow out at ijora 7up bridge in lagos. Any lagosican will understand what I mean. I thank God for the wisdom that helped me that day.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by zubby29(m): 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2015
God bless u OP.wen i see people struggling wit dos armed robbers i pity dem cos its not wise
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by zubby29(m): 3:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
its not a matter of makin der work easier o,its a mater of safeguarding ur life 1st bro.i blv he has a pnt
ogashman:

the op has just made their work easier
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by zubby29(m): 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2015
ok o.i pray ur wife dnt c dis ur comment and i also pray u nver encounter dem.amen
Greatidonis:
See you may have made some valid points but it's not everyone that gives up easily, some of us blood hot pass their own but we dey go about our legitimate business jeje. I will rather die standing than on my knees crying for what belongs to me.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
@ OP

Now that you know those locations are taken over by armed criminals you should do the necessary thing by report them to the police as a good citizens. The Nigerian police have to take note of those areas and station outposts there with immediate effect. Not by having outposts for extracting money from commercial drivers but to safeguard the life of commuters.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by QueenSharon(f): 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
Dcaliphate:
PLEAD THE BLOOD OF JEEESUS!!!!

The Blood of Jesus is meant for the Remission of Sins!
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Panshow(m): 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
Exactly what I did when I was attacked. It was a successful transition of ownership of my phone & my wallet with the arm robbers.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by armadeo(m): 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
MrCork:

...really...so u want people to stay calm, take u serrrious..obey you,avoid eye contact and spek clear English when u attack ..abi?... Bro are u serrrrious? ...this homebase guys mennnnnn! undecided

I saw this and knew it was you even before checking the moniker.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by MrCork: 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
armadeo:

I saw this and knew it was you even before checking the moniker.

...who is Monika?.. Yor gyal friend? undecided
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Ayokunle07(m): 4:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
all4naija:
@ OP
Now that you know those locations are taken over by armed criminals you should do the necessary thing by report them to the police as a good citizens. The Nigerian police have to take note of those areas and station outposts there with immediate effect. Not by having outposts for extracting money from commercial drivers but to safeguard the life of commuters.

Like the police aren't already aware... undecided undecided
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 10, 2015
Ayokunle07:

Like the police aren't already aware... undecided undecided
What is your suggestion in solving the problem? There is no effective solution in the opening post.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by armadeo(m): 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
MrCork:

...who is Monika?.. Yor gyal friend? undecided

WWW.Google.com.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by madgoat(m): 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
I have training in kung fu. Why should i now remain calm? undecided
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by mikolo80: 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2015
Jovago:

Lagos, Nigeria’s most beloved city, is famous for the level of traffic commuters in the city have to endure on a daily basis. While the traffic situation can be quite frustrating and tiresome, it is not the time wasted or energy exerted that terrifies these commuters. What they find most dreadful is the possibility of strong-armed robbery in traffic. Most areas in Lagos, especially on the Island and Peninsula, are well guarded, however, there are key traffic areas where these robberies occur not just at nights, but in broad daylight,. These areas include Marina, CMS – Costain Bridge, Maryland end of Ikorodu road, Gbagada, Mile 2 – Oshodi bridge and Idumota – Eko bridge. These armed robbers target heavy traffic routes. Although traffic robbery is something motorists or commuters would not want to contemplate, it is equally something they can easily get caught up in. Jovago.com, Africa’s No.1 online Hotel booking portal has suggestions on how to deal with strong-armed robbery in Lagos traffic.

Stay Calm

This maybe seem very hard to do, but it is the only way to survive the situation. Some robbers accost their victims by gently tapping on their side window and revealing the butt of their gun, or whatever weapon they have, while others prefer to scare their victims by smashing their side window or windscreen with a hammer. Whatever the case, do not panic, or raise alarm. The numerous witnesses will not assist or give you any protection, neither will the security men on patrol. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are still alive and will only have to lose a few possessions. Staying calm can reduce the chance of the offender becoming agitated and reduce the risk of violence.

Do not attack

Do not use your pepper spray or pocket knife. Do not attack the robber. Most of the robbers are not only armed, they operate in gangs and while you might have been initially accosted by one member of the gang, the others lurk around. Attacking the armed robber very rarely ends well.

Avoid direct eye contact

No matter how low-class the robber may look or seem, behave deferentially. Avoid looking him directly in the eye as that might irritate him. Don’t stare either, as this would be perceived as threatening to the offender. Keep your eyes down and look at the chin of the offender and use your peripheral vision to obtain details. This is less threatening to the offender. Address him as ‘Sir’ or ‘oga’, whichever you find more comfortable. Most robbers have low self-esteem and a little bit of respect might calm them down or even deter them.

Cooperate

Unless your car is bullet and hammer-proof, do not argue with the armed robber. Cooperate . Ensure you first inform the robber in clear terms that you are willing to cooperate, then respond quickly to their demands to whatever instructions they give. Speak only if you need to answer the offender and always reply honestly. Do not try any form of heroics.

Speak clearly and with simple language

There is no gain in impressing an armed robber with good grammar. Do not try to confuse him with a foreign language, heavy/polished accent or big grammar. Respond in the simplest English you know. If you are fluent in pidgin or local dialect, whichever the robber starts communication with, continue with it. Trying to sound too polished might give them the notion that you have more than you are giving to them and that would aggravate them, and possibly encourage them inflict harm on you.Also, try not to add to much detail or say anything that is unnecessary as that could increase the pressure, cause a breakdown in confidence and lead to panic. Keep your answers short, precise and positive using simple words and phrases.

Take the robber seriously

While strong-armed robberies can also occur without a weapon- just the threat of physical violence or an actual beating followed by the demand for moneys, it is always important to assume the offender is armed. Whether you see the armed robber’s weapon or not,you can never be too sure. Be cautious, ensure you observe all his movements and listen to every word his utters. Do not underestimate his actions. Stay alert.
Buy a God damn gun br'er
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by jayjayjay0214: 6:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
angry IF YOU HAVE A GUN JUST SHOOT THE ANIMALS

Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Kizyte(m): 6:55pm On Jun 10, 2015
Adadio:

Yes you can use pepper spray or even the shock baton.I know a friend who markets the shock stuff.it releases thousands of volts(static electricity) that's stuns d robber.good defensive weapon.U can get one for N7000 Maura.
Thanks, but I'll rather recommend pepper spray for all ladies. Very useful tool that need to be in every young girl's hand bag.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by masseratti: 7:00pm On Jun 10, 2015
How can I make my car window hammer proof,cos it seems that's what most of them use
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 10, 2015
Jovago:

Lagos, Nigeria’s most beloved city, is famous for the level of traffic commuters in the city have to endure on a daily basis. While the traffic situation can be quite frustrating and tiresome, it is not the time wasted or energy exerted that terrifies these commuters. What they find most dreadful is the possibility of strong-armed robbery in traffic. Most areas in Lagos, especially on the Island and Peninsula, are well guarded, however, there are key traffic areas where these robberies occur not just at nights, but in broad daylight,. These areas include Marina, CMS – Costain Bridge, Maryland end of Ikorodu road, Gbagada, Mile 2 – Oshodi bridge and Idumota – Eko bridge. These armed robbers target heavy traffic routes. Although traffic robbery is something motorists or commuters would not want to contemplate, it is equally something they can easily get caught up in. Jovago.com, Africa’s No.1 online Hotel booking portal has suggestions on how to deal with strong-armed robbery in Lagos traffic.

Stay Calm

This maybe seem very hard to do, but it is the only way to survive the situation. Some robbers accost their victims by gently tapping on their

side window and revealing the butt of their gun, or whatever weapon they have, while others prefer to scare their viwindow or windscreen with a hammer. Whatever the case, do not panic, or raise alarm. The numerous witnesses will not assist or give you any protection, neither will the security men on patrol. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are still alive and will only have to lose a few possessions. Staying calm can reduce the chance of the offender becoming agitated and reduce the risk of violence.

Do not attack

Do not use your pepper spray or pocket knife. Do not attack the robber. Most of the robbers are not only armed, they operate in gangs and while you might have been initially accosted by one member of the gang, the others lurk around. Attacking the armed robber very rarely ends well.

Avoid direct eye contact

No matter how low-class the robber may look or seem, behave deferentially. Avoid looking him directly in the eye as that might irritate him. Don’t stare either, as this would be perceived as threatening to the offender. Keep your eyes down and look at the chin of the offender and use your peripheral vision to obtain details. This is less threatening to the offender. Address him as ‘Sir’ or ‘oga’, whichever you find more comfortable. Most robbers have low self-esteem and a little bit of respect might calm them down or even deter them.

Cooperate

Unless your car is bullet and hammer-proof, do not argue with the armed robber. Cooperate . Ensure you first inform the robber in clear terms that you are willing to cooperate, then respond quickly to their demands to whatever instructions they give. Speak only if you need to answer the offender and always reply honestly. Do not try any form of heroics.

There is no gain in impressing an armed robber with good grammar. Do not try to confuse him with a foreign language, heavy/polished accent or big grammar. Respond in the simplest English you know. If you are fluent in pidgin or local dialect, whichever the robber starts communication with, continue with it. Trying to sound too polished might give them the notion that you have more than you are giving to them and that would aggravate them, and possibly encourage them inflict harm on you.Also, try not to add to much detail or say anything that is unnecessary as that could increase the pressure, cause a breakdown in confidence and lead to panic. Keep your answers short, precise and positive using simple words and phrases.

While strong-armed robberies can also occur without a weapon- just the threat of physical violence or an actual beating followed by the demand for moneys, it is always important to assume the offender is armed. Whether you see the armed robber’s weapon or not,you can never be too sure. Be cautious, ensure you observe all his movements and listen to every word his utters. Do not underestimate his actions. Stay alert.

so you are saying that we should just give up our lives, our assets to the robbers without a fight.
a traffic population of 1000, should bow down to 5 criminals with guns.

i begin to think you re one of them , this is dumb advice, everyn has the right to defend themselves. dnt come here to tell people to surrender to criminals , thats bad advice unless youre one of them. angry
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 10, 2015
when one hears about robbers terrorizing a community repeatedly its because of nonsense advice like this that tell people to surrender and remain cool, while criminals rob them assault them and their families, they forget that these criminals are people like the rest of us only dysfunctional and armed, even with their weapons they are scared too, dont forget the element of suprise, do the unexpected and you too can beat them, dont just give in like that, battles are fought in the mind.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by firstolalekan(m): 8:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
Jovago:

Stay Calm

This maybe seem very hard to do, but it is the only way to survive the situation. Some robbers accost their victims by gently tapping on their side window and revealing the butt of their gun, or whatever weapon they have, while others prefer to scare their victims by smashing their side window or windscreen with a hammer. Whatever the case, do not panic, or raise alarm. The numerous witnesses will not assist or give you any protection, neither will the security men on patrol. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are still alive and will only have to lose a few possessions. Staying calm can reduce the chance of the offender becoming agitated and reduce the risk of violence.

Do not attack

Avoid direct eye contact

Cooperate

Most reasonable and useful post on nairaland in a long time....
Nice piece.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by Dcaliphate(m): 8:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
QueenSharon:

The Blood of Jesus is meant for the Remission of Sins!
That one of its uses Queen, that powerful name can do much more.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by akigbemaru: 10:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
how to deal with robbers!
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by sokoh400(m): 10:10pm On Jun 10, 2015
helphelp:
To be honest, with the rampant robbery in traffic, all I do is the following below:

1. Once I notice there's traffic, I remove my sims from my phones

2. I hide my major phone, and expose the lower quality phone(you can't tell a robber you don't own a phone)

3. I keep my atms, ID cards in my glove compartment.

3. I leave little cash in my wallet( they expect you own a wallet, and then little change)

4. Wedding ring, wrist watch all goes OFF into the compartment.

5. Laptop must be in your booth

6. Like the poster said, don't argue with them

7. They will possibly collect things I can do away with and face other motorist

In all, be safe in traffic...these robbers can be ruthless at times

U get mouth. Prophylactic solution always this best.
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by 19naia(m): 12:54am On Jun 11, 2015
This sounds like a post by someone who intends to strong arm rob people.. Coming here with this post to hypnotize as many people as possible into making life easy for robbers..
Imagine that? Not even allowed to raise alarm and shout OLE! BARAWO! or THEIF!.. Just sit quiet and let them take and let them escape and dont even look at their faces to be able to identify who they are later?
If you are settled at heart that life must be any endurance of risk, then it is in proper place to take the risk to at least make an effort to be a part of social justice and even policing ,so as to manage the risk out there...
There is no reason why people cannot organize themselves to police themselves and defend themselves especially when the police are failing them and even robbing and extorting them..

This post is the wrong way to go, it is so bad in Nigeria to remain sitting back to let robbers have their way and not even look at their eyes to know who they are for future reference... Things only get worse by that and eventually so bad there will be no choice but to have all out uprising and extensive societal turmoil...
Arm your self, encourage yourself with wise courage and tempered skill and test the cowardly fear of those that would terrorize you because they are too weak and cowardly to endure real work and respect for fellow man..

The robbers will never be reigned in until the people in general society are empowered and able to defend themselves and police against the foul play around them... The robbers will always see the people as sheep and themselves as wolves, until people behave like they are the police and they are the way of justice... Then the robbers will be sheep at the mercy of the people.... The people are many, the police are few and so are the robbers but just a small group of cowards...
Robbers have power only because they are men, police have power because they are men... If you are a man, you have power as well to do what is needed along the lines of setting things right against those who take power to use and abuse...

Even the political power and legislative power to make and unmake laws, is inherent to being human.. Is the president in power because he took it like a robber and the people just stayed silent and made no attempt to see his face? No, the people enmass gave him that power with organized selection... People have the power to take it away as well... Same goes with robbers and thieves...

I agree with having mercy on a robber, but i believe even more in not just giving yourself to the mercilessness of a robber..
Prepare yourself, arm yourself and be the police that the police fail to be (many police rather be robbers themselves)..
People are the power and also the source of justice and lawful living...
Re: How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. by korexdodo(m): 2:59am On Jun 11, 2015
I now understand why a state like Lagos can be controlled by the likes of Tinubu. Honestly Lagosians fear too much! Try this in PH and the next day a counter gang will be looking for every one of you, with their own guns! Abi na only one person sabi carry gun? . No wonder Fela say soldier go slap una face, una no dey talk. Lols

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Driver's Leg Broken,One Other Injured After Ghastly Motor Accident In Lekki.PICS / 6 Persons Die In Ghastly Accident In Abia State (Photos) / Visa To Republic Of Georgia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.