Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,101 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert (15555 Views)

What's The Use Of Foreign Exchange Reserve? / Foreign Reserve Drops To $25.209bn / Fed Govt: We Didn’t Squander External Reserve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by Walexz02(m): 7:01pm On Jun 09, 2015
Wao! This piece is an eye opener shocked
Actually our TV stations suppose to be airing programs that would be insightful like this, so that people will be enlightened and know various ways in which our money is stolen. God bless this man. I hope and pray the presidency sees and work on this

1 Like

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by Infomizer(m): 7:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
I've always wondered why the CBN governor had to be an active high-ranking banker with one of the private-sector banks. There might be subtle bias towards the industry he probably has interests in. I might be wrong but the op's points are worth investigating. Such policies appear private sector bias-driven.

2 Likes

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by ednut1(m): 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2015
everybody in the industy knows zenith bank has access to most of the public funds, mr cbn gov was jst tryingt to be smart incase Buhari fires him.

1 Like

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by ERCROSS(m): 10:34pm On Jun 09, 2015
RickRichards:
Perusing.
Edit:
For people who can't read 700 words per minute:

“For example, if a governor, minister or
director general puts N10 billion budgeted for
capital projects in one year into a fixed deposit
at 15% interest, he would have made a
whopping sum of N1.5 billion just by illegally
moving some public money from current
account to a fixed deposit account."

Bros ... No vex oo.. U mean with what has just been implemented by the CBN now, will it encourage those pension boss thief to put Money into fixed acct with the view of getting more interest or what.. And from ur own perspective, is it a good development or a bad development fir the masses..
And how will that affect the live of a common man directly or indirectly..

No vex say my qwestion plenty.. I no just understand this news nii...

1 Like

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by tremie(f): 10:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
CFCfan:

Monetary policy is the instrument used by the Central banks to control money supply (including interest rates) in an economy. Since the early 20th century, politicians have been barred from interfering with this core function of the central bank (federal reserve) in the US.

Thus, issues such as banks' interest rates, value of the currency, and liquidity ratio are under the sole authority of the Central Bank, by law.

On the other hand, fiscal policy deals with the use of taxation and allocation of resources by the govt to cater for the economy. Aso Rock, via the FIRS could increase/decrease taxes. Also, it is within the purview of the govt to determine salaries of public officers under the "allocation of resources" side of fiscal policy.

Thanks smiley

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by pak: 7:11am On Jun 10, 2015
Really interesting

1 Like

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by pak: 7:19am On Jun 10, 2015
CFCfan:
The development economist got some of his facts wrong. In the US, the president doesn't have a say whatsoever in the monetary policy-making of the Federal Reserve.
In fact, the Federal Reserve is 100% independent from the control of the White House. The only "influence the president has is merely nominating it's chairman.

I wouldn't want professional monetary decisions to be vetoed by Aso Rock. I believe the egg-heads at the CBN should be left alone to formulate Nigeria's monetary policy. Aso Rock should be content with formulating fiscal policy.

Intelligent post up there though I'm not in any way an expert, I dont totally agree with your angle.

In a nascent and unstable economy (and democracy) like Nigeria, the monetary policy goes a very loong way in determining the state of the economy. If as President, it is shaped independently of my input then why blame me when things go wrong ?
Fiscal decisions too need to be taken professionally, that is why the President needs advisers. The inconsistencies in our monetary policies over the years as shown that these 'professionals' also allow a lot of 'political' sentiments in making decisions

1 Like

Re: How New Cash Reserve Policy Will Breed Corruption, By Expert by free13: 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Hmmm...,,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Registrar For Access Bank / Lagos State Government Starts Sale Of Lake Rice For Eid-el-fitr / Thailand’s Rice Export To Nigeria Drops By 91%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.