Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,062 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday (24596 Views)

Dino Melaye's Ex Classmates Visit Him At The National Assembly (Photos) / Three Things I Did While In Prison — Obasanjo / National Assembly Leadership: ‘Your Threats Are Empty’, PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by tunene66: 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
bettercreature:
Make no mistake there was no election

I beg to disagree, abstaining from an election does not invalidate it. All was shown live on TV yesterday. The APC shot themselves in the foot. p
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by olasberguk(m): 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2015

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by donephi(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
I actually like the way it ended yesterday. I think Buhari was part of that plan, he was suppose to come in from Germany in the evening but came in by 9am. why the change? Am happy for Tinubu even though his not happy.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Williamso(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
handsomeclouds:
But the biggest winner in all these has to be Senator Bukola Saraki. Knowing how to lobby the right people for his personal ambition (I'm not saying it's a good thing). He has just shown how smart a politician he can be, and his overzealous ambition might actually take him places - I won't be shocked to see him running for the number 1 office come 2023, or even 2019 (Watch this space)
A dream that will never come to pass! Take it or leave it, Hausa's will never go to the extent of supporting bukola for d no 1 seat. They have not and will never see Ilorin as real Huasas and by extension Muslims, its high time people got in touch with reality. If wishes could be evaluated, then this is definitely a white elephant one!
Now I didn't say he'll be president, I said he'll run for it. You dig?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by plainol(m): 3:54pm On Jun 10, 2015
all I know is - THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, someone will cry in the end.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by chukwukamma(m): 3:56pm On Jun 10, 2015
This guy did a good study of the events of yesterday, i do not see the APC leadership who said they are still studying the development do any better than this.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by tunene66: 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2015
plainol:
all I know is - THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, someone will cry in the end.

When is the end if I may ask? Who is the someone?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by muh4lyf(m): 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2015
Even though I don't like tinubu style, that deosn't mean I should call him a local champion.. Like it or not TINUBU is a man to beat when it gets to Nigerian politicians.. He is amongst the most powerful Nigerian, if not 1st, then you'd give him 2nd.. As far as I am concern, nobody can take away his sucess from him not even BUKOLA SARAKI.. We all are meant to learn 1 lesson or the other. Mind you he just learnt his own... What happened yestday was 3 peoples fault, TINUBU, BUHARI, BUKOLA and DOGARA...
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by softnipples(f): 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2015
Eluwilussit:

Beauty and brain! I am happy we still have some youth that can think deeply and constructively. You are very right. It is a win for our democracy.
Thanks Boss! I'm blushing grin
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Raiders: 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2015
handsomeclouds:
But the biggest winner in all these has to be Senator Bukola Saraki. Knowing how to lobby the right people for his personal ambition (I'm not saying it's a good thing). He has just shown how smart a politician he can be, and his overzealous ambition might actually take him places - I won't be shocked to see him running for the number 1 office come 2023, or even 2019 (Watch this space)
A dream that will never come to pass! Take it or leave it, Hausa's will never go to the extent of supporting bukola for d no 1 seat. They have not and will never see Ilorin as real Huasas and by extension Muslims, its high time people got in touch with reality. If wishes could be evaluated, then this is definitely a white elephant one!
This is 2015! you are the one out of reality. when are you going to grow from your 1914 political mind set? did Saraki not defeat an Hausa man to become the senate president. If Saraki performed well as senate president, all Nigerians irrespective of tribe will vote for him as president. Most Nigerians are not tribalist when it come to politics. we want the best and will vote based on merit.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by HirstMOG(m): 3:58pm On Jun 10, 2015
bettercreature:
Make no mistake there was no election

Are you a member of the Senate Were you present during the election Just because your candidate did not win, there was no election. So funny how a common Nigerian man think grin grin grin
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Eluwilussit(m): 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
softnipples:

Thanks Boss! I'm blushing grin

U are welcome! No shaking at all. Hope u are having a great day! Stay blessed.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2015
Raiders:
This is 2015! you are the one out of reality. when are you going to grow from your 1914 political mind set? did Saraki not defeat an Hausa man to become the senate president. If Saraki performed well as senate president, all Nigerians irrespective of tribe will vote for him as president. Most Nigerians are not tribalist when it come to politics. we want the best and will vote based on merit.
You are the one who isn't in touch with reality, So Tiv done become Hausa, Akume done become Hausa? Majority of voter are Hausa's who's judgements have been impaired by their religion and tribe. Or you think if Buhari were to be from another tribe (even with all his clean record) Hausas would have voted him, my they would bring out another Hausa for sure! Knowing Nigerian politics is consumed by 95% religion&tribe will do you a lot of good( the rest is History), Take it or leave time will tell!
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
grin grin grin grin...Did I hear Tinubu is a loser....very soon Amaechi will join him.

We are not in the Majority party but we got deputy senate president, They said we are finished for not voting APC, now tell me who runs this show called Nigerian politics, I keep on telling my brothers from the South west, how can you be dragging a man who rather go to AREWA forum than Any yoruba group yet you want to force him to become a yoruba man simply because his first name is bukola, just like you want to foolishly claim Rotimi Amaechi...wake up SW ppl and smell the coffee cool

1 Like

Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by mobiss(m): 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
Not all battles are won, some are loss for wars to be won... In this case Tinubu might be seen as a overbearing influence in today's politics, but if not for is doggedness and political strategy 2015 election would have been same old story. Not justifying his Godfather-ism attitude.

For me he has learn his lessons, and I know for sure is coming back to give the traitors their own pound of flesh. Cos is a game of conspiracy played by conspirators.

Lastly:
I see 1999, Eweremen and Chuba okadigbo politics playing out again at this 8th National Assembly.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
handsomeclouds:
You are the one who isn't in touch with reality, So Tiv done become Hausa, Akume done become Hausa? Majority of voter are Hausa's who's judgements have been impaired by their religion and tribe. Or you think if Buhari were to be from another tribe (even with all his clean record) Hausas would have voted him, my they would bring out another Hausa for sure! Knowing Nigerian politics is consumed by 95% religion&tribe will do you a lot of good( the rest is History), Take it or leave time will tell!

Which Akume....? undecided
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Raiders: 4:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
handsomeclouds:
Saraki was not contesting against Akume. he was contesting against Lawan who is from North East and an Hausa man. Akume was contesting for the position of the deputy senate president after he lost the APC primary to Senator Ahmed Lawan. Nigeria politics is not consumed by 95% religion and tribes. There are millions of Nigeria who voted based on merit in the last elections. I agree that some people do vote based on tribe sentiment but they are in the minority. If you fail to perform as a politician, most Nigerians will not vote for you even if you are from their tribe or religion. just like the former Niger state governor lost his senate election to a christain APC candidate in a senatorial zone that is over 80% Muslim. most Nigerians are getting wiser and our democracy is growing.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Gguy4real: 4:36pm On Jun 10, 2015
Wow this thread is very interesting saraki you have my backing as for PDP I trust una you people we always get ur own chance inside sanate
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 10, 2015
[b][/b]
Raiders:
Saraki was not contesting against Akume. he was contesting against Lawan who is from North East and an Hausa man. Akume was contesting for the position of the deputy senate president after he lost the APC primary to Senator Ahmed Lawan. Nigeria politics is not consumed by 95% religion and tribes. There are millions of Nigeria who voted based on merit in the last elections. I agree that some people do vote based on tribe sentiment but they are in the minority. If you fail to perform as a politician, most Nigerians will not vote for you even if you are from their tribe or religion. just like the former Niger state governor lost his senate election to a christain APC candidate in a senatorial zone that is over 80% Muslim. most Nigerians are getting wiser and our democracy is growing.
noted! while the majority still reside as illiterates in d far north multiplying by the day. Niger senetorial elections Na local politics now, we are talking of Nigeria, where majority vote based on sentiments!
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Mustay(m): 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2015
Williamso:
Now that the elections to the Senate and House of Representatives leadership have come and gone, here are some things we can say have been learnt:

1. Buhari may be a good leader, but he is a terrible politician: This goes without saying; playing completely neutral in who becomes the senate president when your party is in the majority? In a country like Nigeria? That is gross political ignorance. Two key tactics that make a great politician are the ability to lobby, and the ability to intervene. How is it possible that while everyone was lobbying for a preferred candidate, he chose not to intervene? That smacks of political naivety. One need not go too far to see how previous presidents were overtly lobbying for their preferred candidates for legislative leadership positions. We can only hope that his nonindulgence will not come back to haunt his presidency. (Although something tells me he had a hand in the emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a tablespoon of salt though)

I do not agree with this. People are already linking the "I belong to everybody" thingy to this move; how sure are you that Buhari himself does not want an 'anointed' candidate? He had promised not to interfere in NASS affairs and so he did. After all, what did it profit OBJ in interfering for 8 years The President is trying to appear neutral and not necessarily giving himself to a power bloc.

Also remember that APC is made up of factions. It appears CPC has the presidency, (n)PDP has both houses and ACN has SW cheesy. What 'worsens' the situation is that we have a lot of former governors has senators now; so there are 'bloody politicians' in this assembly.

The move yesterday was a loud statement in opposing godfathers. If you listened to/watched Ray Power FM/AIT respectively yesterday, you would have noticed the statements the members were passing to the party in terms of 'a Speaker/President being controlled'. It's all politics; permanent interest.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by AfricaFace(f): 4:47pm On Jun 10, 2015
May your Days be long ...
All those are in the cooler because everyone is scanting for political appointment, including Madam due Process,
I heard Baba sent a warning letter to her that he doesn't want such distraction.
WILSON:
BRING BACK OUR GIRLS CAMPAIGN NO DEY AGAIN grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by dotune(m): 4:56pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice one op.
For me it's a mixed feeling. If it is true that Saraki does not ans yes boss to Tinubu, then we can say its a victory over god fatherism.
However, the process by which Saraki became the SP does not speak well for APC. If you could team up with ur enemy to destroy your house, then you have no integrity. And as against your prediction. Saraki will not be able to lobby Nigerians to vote for him incase he tries to run for presidency. Nigerians don't forget events. It will be used against him. Infact I see him defecting back to his beloved PDP.
Lastly, like I always maintain. If we will have a good NASS that will move this nation forward. They should not be produced by political parties. They should be nominated from their geopolitical zones having had fantastic records of leadership in their respective societies.
And lastly they should be paid stipends. Sitting and transport allowances, after all, they must have their businesses going for them. That's when we will identify those who truly want to serve.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by BeauHomme: 5:25pm On Jun 10, 2015
OP, I disagree with your first point oo. I think we've so quickly jumped to conclusions about who the true champions of this drama are.

Even as I continually listen to, and read comments on this issue, I have a nagging question. Was Buhari really naïve about this move or is he the hidden drummer, while the senators just dance to the beats? I have a feeling that this drama might just be a move by the Apc northern caucus(and Buhari) to clip the wings of Tinubu in preparation for his release of ministerial list and other proposals from the presidency

Just my thoughts though...I may be wrong afterall
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by johnie: 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2015
akins56:
Saraki might be the biggest loser, though he his the biggest winner currently, but we all know his biggest ambition is to be the nations number 1, he might have dent this ambition with his desperate moves in past few days

I think saraki might have won now, but he just make his chance of becoming Nigeria's president in the future more difficult!

Gbam!

The same "over ambition" that did Tinubu in will come back and haunt Saraki when the time comes.

There is a point where over-ambition/desperation gets you to that you become bad market.

Atiku's desperation took him to Action Congress and later back to PDP and he became bad market!

Ribadu's desperation took him to CAN and later PDP and he became bad market.

Odili's over ambition has led to his "early retirement"

Tinubu and co sowed the wind and have begun to reap the whirlwind.

Saraki's time will come!

BTW
I think Atiku had a major hand in Saraki's victory as payback for Action Congress' treachery in 2007- they surreptitiously supported Yar Adua.

It was the same thing they did to Ribadu in 2011.

In 2011, they gave Bafarawa and one other candidate assurances that they would get the ticket only to draft Ribadu in. The same Ribadu suffered treachery in their hands during the elections.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Adezy1(m): 5:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
20bc:
The fourth thing I Lent was that Titus sardine still has only 3 fishes.

Chaii u be like my favourite never change
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 10, 2015
abtmaviz:

Promise not to again buh....
Deal
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by chigoizie7(m): 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
Williamso:
Now that the elections to the Senate and House of Representatives leadership have come and gone, here are some things we can say have been learnt:

1. Buhari may be a good leader, but he is a terrible politician: This goes without saying; playing completely neutral in who becomes the senate president when your party is in the majority? In a country like Nigeria? That is gross political ignorance. Two key tactics that make a great politician are the ability to lobby, and the ability to intervene. How is it possible that while everyone was lobbying for a preferred candidate, he chose not to intervene? That smacks of political naivety. One need not go too far to see how previous presidents were overtly lobbying for their preferred candidates for legislative leadership positions. We can only hope that his nonindulgence will not come back to haunt his presidency. (Although something tells me he had a hand in the emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a tablespoon of salt though)

2. Everyone is a winner (Except Tinubu): Yes there are winners everywhere (Except Ndume, Gbajabiamila and Monguno of course). The APC unwittingly won an internal battle against the outrageously influential Tinubu, and can boast of being a party without (conspicuous) godfatherism.
PDP are even bigger winners than APC; this is the first time a member of a minority party will be made a principal officer in the senate (excluding minority and deputy minority leaders) in Ekweremadu. This also shows that PDP's 16 years in power taught them a lot about hardcore politics. All they had to do was cash in on the crisis in APC, which they so deliciously did, and now they can boast of being influential in the scheme of things (at least it seems so on the surface). (Make no mistake, had APC supported Saraki, PDP would so easily have backed Lawan, and the rest would have been history).
But the biggest winner in all these has to be Senator Bukola Saraki. Knowing how to lobby the right people for his personal ambition (I'm not saying it's a good thing). He has just shown how smart a politician he can be, and his overzealous ambition might actually take him places - I won't be shocked to see him running for the number 1 office come 2023, or even 2019 (Watch this space).

3. Politicians will always be politicians, and Dino Melaye is no exception: One would have expected that after all that the PDP did to this man to terminate his political career, and the respite and platform the APC gave to him, he would at least be somewhat loyal to his party. Well, that's something honest people do, and politicians are not honest. So after vilifying the PDP at any given opportunity, the first thing he did as a senator was to defy the APC (that rebounded his political career), and align with the same PDP (you would think he loves to hate) just to get in his candidate as the senate president. That speaks volumes of a man's character. I tend to find solace in this quote though "Leave politics for politicians and governance for technocrats" - PMB 2015, because politicians will always be cunning, deceitful, dishonest, unscrupulous, insincere, crafty, mendacious and Machiavellian; but that is what makes them politicians.

Oga, I wan ask u question ooh, not necessarily from what u wrote.

*it takes 1/3 of the senators to be on seat b4 it the house can convene.

*1/3 of 109 senators is 37

*PDP has 51 senators which is more than 1/3

*the total number of senators present in yesterdays election is 75 or so.

*assume PDP senators hijacked the election and field one of them and then the whole of PDP senators voted for him.

*owing to the fact that they are more than APC members present for d election (I.e) 51 as against the remainder of 75.

* if PDP had won, would it be binding?
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by 20bc(m): 6:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
Adezy1:

Chaii u be like my favourite never change
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Williamso(m): 7:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
BeauHomme:
OP, I disagree with your first point oo. I think we've so quickly jumped to conclusions about who the true champions of this drama are.

Even as I continually listen to, and read comments on this issue, I have a nagging question. Was Buhari really naïve about this move or is he the hidden drummer, while the senators just dance to the beats? I have a feeling that this drama might just be a move by the Apc northern caucus(and Buhari) to clip the wings of Tinubu in preparation for his release of ministerial list and other proposals from the presidency

Just my thoughts though...I may be wrong afterall
Hehehe. Even as I want to believe PMB's absolute neutrality, a part of me echoes your sentiment. Maybe you missed this part:
(Although something tells me he had a hand in the
emergence of the SP and the Speaker. Take that with a
tablespoon of salt though)
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by Williamso(m): 7:27pm On Jun 10, 2015
chigoizie7:
Oga, I wan ask u question ooh, not necessarily from what u wrote.

*it takes 1/3 of the senators to be on seat b4 it the house can convene.

*1/3 of 109 senators is 37

*PDP has 51 senators which is more than 1/3

*the total number of senators present in yesterdays election is 75 or so.
I think they were even less than that. Although they did form a quorum.

*assume PDP senators hijacked the election and field one of them and then the whole of PDP senators voted for him.

*owing to the fact that they are more than APC members present for d election (I.e) 51 as against the remainder of 75.

* if PDP had won, would it be binding?
It should be binding. But weigh the odds. Had PDP done that, it would have been blown out war between PDP and APC, which, as APC has the majority and the Executive, they most likely would not win. But check out how things have turned: nobody is castigating PDP for their craftiness, instead we're praising their genius while scapegoating Saraki and his allies in APC, therefore seemingly deepening the internal crisis of the APC.

In being a con artist, they say you should never have more greed than the mark. PDP showed just the right amount of greed (DSP) without going too far (SP).
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by chigoizie7(m): 7:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
Williamso:

I think they were even less than that. Although they did form a quorum.

It should be binding. But weigh the odds. Had PDP done that, it would have been blown out war between PDP and APC, which, as APC has the majority and the Executive, they most likely would not win. But check out how things have turned: nobody is castigating PDP for their craftiness, instead we're praising their genius while scapegoating Saraki and his allies in APC, therefore seemingly deepening the internal crisis of the APC.

In being a con artist, they say you should never have more greed than the mark. PDP showed just the right amount of greed (DSP) without going too far (SP).

Correct. I knew all that, was just curious about if it will be biding if PDP had gone for SP, they would ve won.
Re: Three Things We Learnt From The National Assembly Leadership Elections Yesterday by BeauHomme: 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2015
National Assembly...the new Telemundo
Political romance, political divorce, political lust, political infidelity.... I just pray we don't experience any 'crime of passion'grin even as I await the part of "and they lived happily ever after"grin

I expect more drama, mud-slinging, accusations and counter-accusations in the following days and weeks

Political calculations just got a notch higher

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Judge Orders Senator Abaribe To Pay N100m Over Kanu’s Absence In Court / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala With African Finance Ministers And Central Bank Governors / Buhari Appoints New Members To EFCC Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.