Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele (23998 Views)

Restructuring: Nigeria Must Return To 1963 Constitution – Rivers Elders / Regionalism Better Than True Federalism / We Must Say No To Regionalism And Federalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by MrPresident1: 11:12am On Jun 12, 2015
Setaje:

You have said it all. Jonathan was very stupid to forget the people that fought for him against turai. I was arguing wiv someone that do not think yoruba vote alone can remove hausa. They will rule 12 years. The yoruba had better start shouting regionalism because the hausas I no who love to hold on to power will shift Base to the south east for help. Those ones in the south east will follow just to spite the yorubas again. Pettiness everywhere

One million votes came from Kano alone, there will never ever be a lower vote count in Kano, that one million will always be the benchmark. Kano alone is now a voting bloc. The foolish things we do to spite a nose that then disfigures the face.

Even if the Fulani leaves power today they will be fully entrenched and will always dictate who becomes king. The South has lost it, all the political gains since 1999 have been reversed or are being reversed, all thanks to the IGBOS!

The Igbos cannot deal with the compromises and allowances that are required for the building of a modern heterogeneous nation state.

And Biafra will be the real Hobbesian state, because where there are no recognized social hierarchies, everyone thinks he can become king is the recipe for national disaster. No wonder we have streets partitioned into autonomous communities being ruled by self-styled Igwes in Alaigbo.

1 Like

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Johntobi56: 11:13am On Jun 12, 2015
Lushcream:
I dey tell u that Saraki requested his food this morning in Yoruba .... Saraki sees himself as Yoruba and a Northerner ..... and Yes what is played is regional politics not ethnic politics.

Seems igbos don't know Kwara is a yoruba land lol them think say Na like Rivers state wey get Rotimi Amaechi
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Aimwest(m): 11:15am On Jun 12, 2015
SW,SE,SS are in the same shoe for now,and i think we should stop the arguement about the mistake our past leaders have made.Tell me what you think will be their thaught if they are watching our stupid actions.They will be like hmm this fools never learn.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by superstar1(m): 11:15am On Jun 12, 2015
shizzle11:
Ask tifnubu the frog-eyed

Naaaaaaaa

Ask GEJ and Patience, as well as Okonjo Iweala
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 12, 2015
It is too early to cry.

The first cock crow has not even taken place.

So what will you guys do, when day breaks
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Dollyak(f): 11:17am On Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for this. I must say I am really disappointed. The people of SS/SE should be directing their anger towards their politicians.
harde2lah:

Why Regionalism, State Police Agitation Failed

May 19, 2014

Dr. Dozie Ikedife is one of the delegates to the National Conference. He is one of the 15 delegates representing the southeast. Ikedife also served on the Committee on Devolution of Power. In this interview with our Editor-at-Large, Achilleus-Chud Uchegbu, he gave insight into why southern agitation for a return to regionalism and state police could not succeed at the committees.

Southwest delegates to the conference feel betrayed by the counterparts from southeast and south-south. They feel that there were common positions agreed at the pre-conference meeting between southern delegates which they expected that all southern delegates would back but coming here, they sort of found out that the same delegates who agreed to these issues worked differently. What happened?

If they feel betrayed, we from the southeast, particularly those from Anambra, Imo and Abia states feel more betrayed because we stood firmly for regional governments. We also strongly supported state police. So, the question of betrayal is not right. It can be said that they did not get what they want, but so do we. We stood for regionalism, we fought for it, we talked about it, and we canvassed for it too. But don’t forget that in situations like this, if you are indeed talking of democracy, you must respect the opinion of the minority but the majority must take the vote.
That is the position. However, there are pockets of people from the southeast, who did not want regional government; specifically, people from Ebonyi state. There are also some from Enugu state who did not want it. Apart from those, delegates from Anambra, Imo and Abia were all for regionalism.

So, no one can say we disappointed them or let them down. That did not happen. Rather, we were all let down. Unfortunately, we have a saying that once a word is said, it cannot be retracted. Some of the people from south-south, who opposed state police, soon after, told me that they had taken a further look at it and are all for it now. But a decision has already been taken on it. However, I don’t think it is all lost yet. Don’t forget we are returning to plenary and these are just committees and what they come up with are recommendations. At the plenary, it is possible that some of the recommendations may be taken as they are. Some may be shot down. Some may be modified and carried.
These are possibilities. So, it is all not all lost yet. They should not think it that way. All hope is not lost yet. We still have opportunity of canvassing certain positions depending on how other geopolitical zones view your positions too.

What was responsible for divergent of opinions in the Southeast on issues of regionalism?

People from Ebonyi State said they are happy as a state. They argue that returning to regionalism would mean going back to Egypt. I do not see it as such. Most of us believe that regionalism would be better for us and for this; we even made an offer to Ebonyi people to produce the first leader of a southeast region if it worked out. We said when he is through, we then rotate it to Enugu and so on. This was a mark of assurance that those of us who were for it were not interested in coming to dominate anybody. In spite of those assurances, they stood their ground. Even when we were drafting the position of the southeast, they insisted that a clause be inserted that they are opposed to it despite it being a majority decision.

So, Ebonyi people were clear that they do not want regional governments. And you know how these things work. Someone may canvass an idea, no matter how wrong, and it will catch on with the ears and thinking of the people. That is what I think may have happened. However, I am not sure how the rest of the country will vote when this is put to vote on regionalism and state police even.

How about the argument against state police?

People recall the havoc done by the native authority police in the colonial days and before independence. Even now that we have federal police, it can also be used rightly or wrongly. So, the fear of state police may not be justified. You can have a state police that is totally independent of the powers that be; one that respects the law and nothing else and safeguards life and property while ensuring security irrespective of who is involved.

The fundamental thing really is that we have not yet learn to respect the law in Nigeria. Some people generally thing they are exempted from any law made. They think the laws are made for the other person and not them. Some think the law should apply as they want it. That is quite unfortunate. But I believe that with evolution of time, we shall come to become law abiding both in the spirit and letter of the law; but the tendency for impunity is still there. Until we fight and kill that tendency for impunity, either state police, community police or even federal police will not mean much.

When we look at the police structure in the United States, which most of us want to copy, we see the separation and role every level of police plays in the society. That was what some of us were thinking of coming to this conference. Our police structure, as it is now, makes it difficult for effective policing because when you take someone and send him to work in a society where the culture, tradition, language, etc are alien to him, he may be diligent but would also make mistakes that come from not understanding certain norms that are either accepted or not accepted by the people there. But if you get the local people into a police for the locality, they will be more effective because they are likely to know more about the area than a stranger.

Southwest delegates also say they are not happy that their proposal for parliamentary system failed because all southern delegates refused to back it?

Once again, it is a matter of individual opinion. Delegates from southern Nigeria were separated into the 20 different committees. That means it won’t be easy for anyone of them to galvanise enough support to push through his position. Remember also that there are other groups, like the trade unions, civil societies, and professional groups etc, who were spread across all the committees and who may not be aware of the position of the southern delegates on such issues. So, I think there were gaps in selling the position of the southern delegates to delegates from other zones. You know that if you are not briefed on an issue, you freely play on your own understanding of it. However, I don’t think we should all see this in negative terms. I can tell you that to a certain extent, this conference has been a success in the sense that we Nigerian are now talking about how we will be governed. What we have here is a gathering of a very wide section of Nigerians representing diverse interests and for this, it will be difficult to get unanimity of opinion on any issue. If you ask ten different persons about an issue, you may end up getting 10 different opinions.

Some may hold two even. We are not here to do a rubber-stamping of any particular issue. That may be the wish of some delegates but it is not possible.

There are insinuations that the Committee on Devolution of Power, where you served, was only able to migrate six items from the exclusive legislative list to the con-current list with nothing to the residual list. It is said that this is no achievement because in a clash between federal and state, the federal government takes precedence?
If you look at the exclusive list, there are certain things, with due respect, that you cannot contemplate moving from exclusive to concurrent or residual. We reviewed the items one after the other. Personally, I would have preferred that many more issued were moved from the exclusive list, but you don’t’ just move for the sake of moving. The ones moved to concurrent are open to states participation.

The idea was not to pull down the federal government. Much as we say that a lot of powers are concentrated at the center, if we had regional governments, there won’t be this monthly exodus to Abuja to ask for money. Also, there are issued for and against the parliamentary system of government. But I think that we could take a few good things from the parliamentary system and merge them with some of the good things found in the presidential system and have an amalgam of what we could call Nigerian democracy.

I do think we could take something from parliamentary system of government and also a few things from the presidential system on government to have a home grown system that works for us. For some of us, the presidential system is very cumbersome and expensive with a lot of power centred on the federal government and president. That is why the fight for the control of power at the center has become such a bitter one. If a lot of eyes are removed from the center, then, the clamour for control of power at the centre will be minimised. To that extent, I think a little bit more can be done to devolve more power from the center.

Delegates represent their states and other interests. Would it be right to say that the delegates are afraid to hand more responsibilities to their states?

I don’t think so. Rather, there is a general feeling that federal, states and local governments are not performing; and have not performed really. When you take power and decide to devolve it to the states, the same Nigerians will cry foul and say governors or council chairmen will abuse them. So, what do you do? You can critic from the council to state to the federal but we have to re-educate ourselves as Nigerians that wherever you are operating, you should do so with broad-mindedness; ability to distribute amenities with evenness of heart rather than working for turns. If we are able to move away from turn by turn, people will care less about the amount of power left at the center or who is the president or where he comes from. The clamour and tension we have always had is because Nigerians, at this stage of their evolution, have not come to accept that a president is for all Nigeria.
Don’t you see a contradiction in the fact that the committee was quick in deciding on revenue sharing formular but were slow on other critical issues?

Basically and logically, if you remove power from the center, then you have to remove the amount of money you give to it. The decision to add more money to the states and local governments was not without due consideration, there were issues we debated for five days before arriving at a conclusion. So, we did extensive work and took our time to make our recommendations. We need not do a haphazard work. So, the accusation is not right.

http://theunion.com.ng/politics/why-regionalism-state-police-agitation-failed/

cc: EUROBOMBER
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by ChikezieU(m): 11:19am On Jun 12, 2015
BuddahMonk:

www.punchng.com/opinion/letters/return-to-regionalism-now/
trash, the gun you people created has turned to haunt you people and now you suddenly realized that Nigeria structure of leadership is faulty. But sir, if you want regionalism then primarily there are 3 regions. If you want to solve the problem, solve it entirely and not create another one in the process. Each of the region can split at there own terms. So why don't we call for true federalism.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by ighodalonosa(m): 11:19am On Jun 12, 2015
Flets:
Some people are truly dumb. So because they felt cheated because their lord tinubu was humiliated. .. they are now calling for regionalism

That is the height of ethnocentrism.

All the high hopes the SW had in this govt has crashed in quick succession.
Osubande have been treated like a house boy so far, tinubu's wing has been clipped,
Osun has become the mockery of all states begging for food and aids from all that care to listen.
The ones in lagos are crying over suppression by the ibos

This is a time not to be a Southwesterner

I am telling u
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by superstar1(m): 11:20am On Jun 12, 2015
shizzle11:
How many projects did he commission in the SE and SS?

If elective position didnt matter, why have you lots being whining since after the NASS leadership election?

Mor.onic dunce from the brown roof slums of zuluba

He did not commission any project in SE and SS and you wanted us to vote for him again, after 6years. Is that not devilish from your part?

Who is whining over what? APC. APC is a party that comprises the amalgamation of CPC, ANPP, AC and renegade PDP. Those are the people whining of their spilled milk and not yorubas.

Yorubas as a people have nothing to lose in the whole charade. We lost Speakership and gained Senate president.

3 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by ohil: 11:22am On Jun 12, 2015
Dele, why are you crying more than the Breaved. PMB have accepted the result of the election. What happened during the IBB and ABIOLA era is about to repeat itself. I pity Tinubu and Osibanjo in this administration. The setting is going to be very funny, we are watching the events as it unfold. The evil that men sow always live after then. GOD IS STILL ON THE THRONE.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 12, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:

That thinking is just false, I am yoruba and I say the SW did. From day one they neva gave GEJ breathing space. Let's take a look at the subsidy issue that would have been a giant step towards this regionalism issue. Using common weatlth to subsidize. Who where the major anti sbusidy removal region the SW. By today we would have been reapping the benefits. GEJ was boxed into a corner. Everyone knew he was neva goin to get support from the north. You cannot radically change nigeria without getting major support from 2 regions. GEJ did his best in my opinion but we SW saw no good in him always painted him black.

Noooo..you're wrong! stop being naive. The subsidy removal was badly timed. The people were not properly sensitized about the whole stuff. Measures were not put in place to mitigate the resulting impacts that will come with the removal. How do explain removing subsidy at the beginning of a new year. Why should the masses pay for the weakness and mistakes of the government for not building refineries. With the little removal, please can you pinpoint some achievements resulting from the removal? Where are the subsidy buses today? After he removal, prices of things shoot up. The masses were suffering and yet you are blaming them for protesting. The subsidy crooks, where are they today?
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Dollyak(f): 11:25am On Jun 12, 2015
harde2lah:

[color=#990000]People from Ebonyi State said they are happy as a state. They argue that returning to regionalism would mean going back to Egypt. I do not see it as such. Most of us believe that regionalism would be better for us and for this; we even made an offer to Ebonyi people to produce the first leader of a southeast region if it worked out. We said when he is through, we then rotate it to Enugu and so on. This was a mark of assurance that those of us who were for it were not interested in coming to dominate anybody. In spite of those assurances, they stood their ground. Even when we were drafting the position of the southeast, they insisted that a clause be inserted that they are opposed to it despite it being a majority decision.

http://theunion.com.ng/politics/why-regionalism-state-police-agitation-failed/

cc: EUROBOMBER
This is the reason biafra will never succeed. Selfish interest couple with lack of unity
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Johntobi56: 11:26am On Jun 12, 2015
ohil:
Dele, why are you crying more than the Breaved. PMB have accepted the result of the election. What happened during the IBB and ABIOLA era is about to repeat itself. I pity Tinubu and Osibanjo in this administration. The setting is going to be very funny, we are watching the events as it unfold. The evil that men sow always live after then. GOD IS STILL ON THE THRONE.

Me to I pity Ike and Rochas
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by shizzle11(m): 11:29am On Jun 12, 2015
superstar1:

He did not commission any project in SE and SS and you wanted us to vote for him again. After 6years. Is that not devilish from your part?

Who is whining over what? APC. APC is a party of with CPC, ANPP, AC and renegade PDP. Those are the people whining of their spilled milk and not yorubas.

Yorubas as a people have nothing to lose in the whole charade. We lost Speakership and gained Senate president.
That's the unique nature of Nigerian politics. Same goes for osun state where areGBESE performed/still performing woefully yet osun people voted him second term while the state civil servants were still owed backlog of salries? was that not evil on their part?

What about the north where GEJ performed mostly than any other part of the country and had many political appointees, yet they voted against him? The joke is on you.

superstar1:

Naaaaaaaa

Ask GEJ and Patience, as well as Okonjo Iweala
lmao...I'll rather you ask liar mohaMad, Ebola tifnubu, and femi gbambiala ....lol cheesy

3 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by blaqoracle: 11:32am On Jun 12, 2015
This man
BuddahMonk:

www.punchng.com/opinion/letters/return-to-regionalism-now/
this man is suffering from acute malaria
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by UncleJudax(m): 11:33am On Jun 12, 2015
superstar1:

When SE and SS or upper zambezi or what are you calling yourselves, connived to betray SW, it was right and when the same SW paid you back in your coin, it is wrong.

Hypocrisy!!!!!!!

Get over the loss.
Illiterate! Who is paying who back? You wey still de lick your wound.

Take several seats jor!

2 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by shizzle11(m): 11:33am On Jun 12, 2015
Dollyak:

[s]This is the reason biafra will never succeed. Selfish interest couple with lack of unity[/s]
Dollyak:
[s]Thanks for this. I must say I am really disappointed. The people of SS/SE should be directing their anger towards their politicians[/s].
Hold it! Problem with people like you is that you are gullible, hence easily deceived.

Just hold on...

Aworis Youth Mandate under the able leadership of Adekunle bola has asked that all yoruba of non- aworis extraction leeching on their development and resources should start preparing to vacant the state. He explained that yorubas come to lagos to feast on their resources, contributing absolutely nothing in return. "An Ekiti from his jungle village will come to Lagos to drag jobs like security and vigilante with locals, so it time to tell them all who are the real owners of Lagos. "Once the permission is sanction there will be a exodus, so it is better they start packing before the time reaches. As the say " a stitch in time saves nine."
This is 21st century, NO TIME FOR PARASITISM !
even the Northerners are contributing more than these yorubas, Awori people shall not stand and watch her resources pillaged and ravaged by these ingrates and rascals. He went on to explain that most crimes in the state are perpetuated by neighboring states especially Ogun people and ijebus.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2015/index.php/news/x38b2-lagos-awori-urges-yorubas-to-
withdraw-.html

1 Like

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 12, 2015
Dollyak:
Thanks for this. I must say I am really disappointed. The people of SS/SE should be directing their anger towards their politicians.
Indeed.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by superstar1(m): 11:36am On Jun 12, 2015
shizzle11:
That's the unique nature of Nigerian politics. Same goes for osun state where areGBESE performed/still performing woefully yet osun people voted him second term while the state civil servants were still owed backlog of salries? was that not evil on their part?

What about the north where GEJ performed mostly than any other part of the country and had many political appointees, yet they voted against him? The joke is on you.

lmao...I'll rather you ask liar mohaMad, Ebola tifnubu, and femi gbambiala ....lol cheesy
Aregbesola performed in his first term, no doubt about it. Though, some projects are senseless and I was never and can never be in the bandwagon of his sycophantic supporters. The down turn in the economy really impacted on his government.
Does he deserve 2nd term? Yes, he does.

That said, GEJ did not do anything in SW and like you said in SE and SS too in 6yeats, in what basis should we them vote for him again?

The north, where he was doing all the projects should have voted for him now?

You can then agree with me, that there is no betrayal of GEJ on our part. He failed us and we voted against him. His action called for our reaction.

Just a a simple demonstration of Newton's first law of motions.

I repeat, it is Peter Obi, Ohaneze, Iweala, AkpuGA, Patience Jonathan and GEJs' mega losses.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 12, 2015
Regionalism is the way forward
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by shinacollins(m): 11:41am On Jun 12, 2015
Na wa o! If in this time and age the average Nigerian youth is still thinking like the way you guys are.... that simply means that we are in for a great shit....
God help Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Dollyak(f): 11:42am On Jun 12, 2015
shizzle11:

Hold it! Problem with people like you is that you are gullible, hence easily deceived.

Just hold on...
From one of the people from the east. Check that thread and see how there is no unity.
passion007:

I'm often surprised when Igbos kick against state creation in today's Nigeria. For one thing, state creation will bring development nearer the grassroots. Anioma will pay better attention to Asaba, Adada will pay better attention to Nsukka and so on. Unfortunately, regionalism is dead... the confab also made no effort to resurrect it. In Nigeria of today, how much you get and how much weight you throw around ultimately depends on how many states you have. That's why the NW can bully the rest of the zones. And the homogenous SW with 6 states has a decided political advantage.
If in the future we choose to return to regionalism, then I'll have no qualms about Igbo states forming a merger. But this present system will shortchange us if we opt for a merger.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by karkel(m): 11:44am On Jun 12, 2015
grin grin grin
Flets:
Some people are truly dumb. So because they felt cheated because their lord tinubu was humiliated. .. they are now calling for regionalism

That is the height of ethnocentrism.

All the high hopes the SW had in this govt has crashed in quick succession.
Osubande have been treated like a house boy so far, tinubu's wing has been clipped,
Osun has become the mockery of all states begging for food and aids from all that care to listen.
The ones in lagos are crying over suppression by the ibos

This is a time not to be a Southwesterner
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cry cry cry
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by tochstorm(m): 11:47am On Jun 12, 2015
harde2lah:

I'm so fvcking tired of Idiots like you who keeps on denigrating the Yoruba tribe and calling them betrayals. Do we have any sort of agreement with you mentally deranged fools? You voted your choice, we voted ours. Your fellow tribesmen (Azikwe et al.) have been aligning with the Gambaris since time immemorial, but you hypocrites have never condemned them. How does our choice and pattern of voting affects you dickhead? please, answer me. Stop blaming all your woes, failures and misfortunes on the Yoruba, fool!
*fools* sometime i wonder if anyone in this forum would ever remove that fanboyism scale in there eyes. same goes for the guys above the guy i quoted.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 12, 2015
Why are yorubas hurting themselves?.
They have the VP, Senate president, and Deputy Speaker.
If Tinubu's wishes failed that's because Abuja isn't Lagos.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 12, 2015
Dollyak:

@harde2lah, so if just one state in the SE opposed regionalism that translates to the Igbos rejecting regionalism Do you know that even among Yorubas there are those that are not in support of regionalism? there are Yorubas that prefer Nigeria to continue running the way it is if you don't know.

The ration of Igbos that support regionalism to those that don't is high same for the Yorubas so what are you talking about?

Even your lagos state kicked against regionalism, see proof below. Should we now conclude that the Yorubas rejected regionalism just because Lagos state kicked against it

Conference: Lagos opposes regionalism
Posted by: Dele Anofi in News May 21, 2014

Lagos State has said the idea of making geo-political zones systems of administration should be discarded.

In a position document to the National Conference, the state demanded that while Nigeria remains one indivisible political entity, constitutional federalism should remain as the nation’s system of government.

In the document that was made public shortly after the Southwest’s position was unveiled on Monday, the state demanded special status in addition to the extraction of local governments from the constitution.

The document reads: “On regionalism and geo-political zones, the governing regions in the late colonial and post-colonial constitutions (1960 & 1963) represent the height of our national development.

“Where devolved powers, regional constitutions and revenue derivation ensured competition and self-determination. This era has long ended with the creation of states.

“We do not support, nor do we think it feasible – to return to creation of regions as governing sub-national units in Nigeria. We also do not recommend the creation of new states at this time or in the foreseeable future, viability and cost are two of the immediate reasons that militate against the creation of states.

“There are said to be six Geo – political zones in the country – this nomenclature is unknown to the Constitution and yet it continues to feature in national discourse.

“We do not recommend that the said zones as a feasible structure for government for Nigeria. It is folly to believe that the coincidence of geography dictates anything but convenience; we recommend that Nigeria should adhere to constitutional federalism which to date only prescribes states and desist from the use of zones for planning or execution of constitutional authority.

“Local Government: Constitutionally, there ought to be only two orders of government, the Federal Government and the State Governments. Local Government administrative divisions should be left as the exclusive preserve of the States.

“All references to Local Government should be expunged from the Constitution. Local Government creation, structure, tenure, boundary adjustments, functions and funding should remain a residual function of the states”.

The State also demanded that equity should return to the revenue allocation formula prescribed for the country.

“Its constituent states are the raison d’e^tre for the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Without the component states, the corporate entity “Nigeria” would cease to exist. This should be reflected in a new prioritization in the revenue accruals to the nation – a prioritization in favour of the States.

“There shall be two express Legislative Lists in the Constitution: the Exclusive Legislative List and the Concurrent Legislative List for both the Federal Government and the State Governments.

“For the avoidance of doubt, all matters or powers not contained in the Exclusive Legislative List are residual, and only the House of Assembly of a State shall have power to make laws in respect of such residual matters in terms of section 4(7)(a) of the 1999 Constitution.

While demanding for Special status, Lagos State said it was for the purposes of allocation of revenue and other resources, adding, “The equity of this demand is located in the national uniqueness and socio-economic significance of the State to the entire nation.

“Lagos has historically been and has continued to be the economic and commercial capital of Nigeria. With this has come an increasing rise in the population of the State.

“With a current population of over 18 million, Lagos is one of the 10 megacities of the world. The uniqueness of Lagos is now publicly and indeed internationally acknowledged.

“The economic significance of Lagos is a constant attraction to a growing number of “newcomers” not only from around the country but also from other countries in the West-African sub-region.

“The infrastructure in the State therefore seems never to be in a position to meet the demands of the residents of the State. The enormity of the pressure on the infrastructure and other critical factors of governance including education, health and security are now a major threat to the sustainability of the State.

“Federal Government in order to sustain its infrastructure. It is on this basis that a case is hereby made for Lagos – Nigeria’s only former capital to be assigned a “Special Status”.

“This Special Status should essentially reflect in a special budgetary allocation of the resources (including revenue) required to meet the uncommon demands for the proper governance of the State”.

The State also proposed that the justice sector and judicial restructuring should reflect on the appointment procedure for judges of the High Courts of the States.

The State’s position was that Justice and judiciary matters should be the exclusive preserve of the respective States. “The Federal Government through the National Judicial Council should no longer participate in the appointment procedure.

“Also, “Prisons” as a legislative item should be moved from the Exclusive Legislative list to the Concurrent Legislative List.

“This will allow States to run their prisons. States should also be allowed to maintain their own police”.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/conference-lagos-opposes-regionalism/

1 Like

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by Gbigbon: 11:49am On Jun 12, 2015
I thing it is high time the South East and South West come together as one and agree on a common ground regarding issues of national interest. They should shed their arrogance, suspicions etc. This is the only way we can fight northern domination in Nigerian politics.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by GodMode: 11:49am On Jun 12, 2015
Johntobi56:
Loooooool
Wow see how igbo people are happy about SW

Lesson learnt here
IGBOS envy the yoruba die
They hate Tinubu

Lessons
A divided south can only benefit the North

Yorubas are united...

Don't say igbos cos u're generalising..

Most igbo women run to SW to look for yoruba husbands..

Some of their men come to Nairaland to complain that "WHY ARE YORUBA MEN MARRYING IGBO WOMEN" gringringringrin

Instead of asking WHY ARE SOME IGBO WOMEN AVOIDING IGBO MENgringringringrin
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by ahaz: 11:56am On Jun 12, 2015
harde2lah:

I'm so fvcking tired of Idiots like you who keeps on denigrating the Yoruba tribe and calling them betrayals. Do we have any sort of agreement with you mentally deranged fools? You voted your choice, we voted ours. Your fellow tribesmen (Azikwe et al.) have been aligning with the Gambaris since time immemorial, but you hypocrites have never condemned them. How does our choice and pattern of voting affects you dickhead? please, answer me. Stop blaming all your woes, failures and misfortunes on the Yoruba, fool!
Mr ode oshi at least you have voted for your choice and you have shown us ur childish sophistication the mesage is now clear that you guys re losing by the day. So keep ur mesage of true federalism to urselfs nd cry ur own cry. If truly u want regionalism you would have supported a course that share the same as did same ideology with you, but you chose to align with the north that never believed in that agenda in the name of agbero sophistication and just because of little shaking they gave you cowards you re now crying for regionalism, no one will take you addicted hypocrites seriously. Bunch of foolish tribe

3 Likes

Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by putin3: 11:56am On Jun 12, 2015
Accept what it is, let go of what it was. Have faith in what will be.
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by UncleJudax(m): 11:56am On Jun 12, 2015
ajepako:

Why are you guys on this forum so narrow minded?
So, you assume all Yorubas dance to the tune of the BAT and voted PMB? Well, only the agberos, shepe sellers and Iya Oloja
I dont..
Love me GEJ..
So, that makes me a betrayer?
hardly...
Waiting for the fall of BAt and his'familocracy' and 'paddiocracy'
:oWay to go!
Re: NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele by shizzle11(m): 11:57am On Jun 12, 2015
superstar1:

Aregbesola performed in his first term, no doubt about it. Though, some projects are senseless and I was never and can never be in the bandwagon of his sycophantic supporters. The down turn in the economy really impacted on his government.
Does he deserve 2nd term? Yes, he does.

That said, GEJ did not do anything in SW and like you said in SE and SS too in 6yeats, in what basis should we them vote for him again?

The north, where he was doing all the projects should have voted for him now?

You can then agree with me, that there is no betrayal of GEJ on our part. He failed us and we voted against him. His action called for our reaction.

Just a a simple demonstration of Newton's first law of motions.

I repeat, it is Peter Obi, Ohaneze, Iweala, AkpuGA, Patience Jonathan and GEJs' mega losses.
AreGBESE is a colossal failure, what happened to opon imoh etc? he wasted osuns money in supporting booharis election.

Overall, GEJ s administration will score a pass mark, but negative media spearheaded by Yorubas portrayed his administration in bad light and sadly, many gullible fools fell for it. Coupled with boko haram menace which overshadowed his performance.

GEJ had his flaws, but that was nothing compared to the negative propaganda by many south westerners

The North's only issue with GEJ was that they wanted power back by all means possible and fortunately/unfortunately they found a willing support from and ever-ready slave partners-yolobas.

Iweala is going back to world bank, Obi is chairman of SEC, Ohaneze never enjoyed patronage of fed govt, APGA is getting g stronger than ever. You are begining to sound like a broken record.

Is it the after effect of the loss of your mesiah- tifnubus choices? Liar MohaMad is still threatening sanctions against the so-called Yoruba man-sarai...so much for Yoruba unity cheesytongue

kpele'o omo odua cheesygrin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Flag Off: After Tommorow, The World Will Know Akwaibom Is APC~Akpabio / Attacks Against Osinbajo: How 4 Media Firms Apologized Over Fabricated Stories / Igboho: Falana Lambasts DSS Over "Nocturnal Coup"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.