Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,315 members, 7,867,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 04:14 AM

Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff (20318 Views)

Six Dry Ports Being Built Across Nigeria To Be Linked To Rail Lines / Naira Crashes As FG Denies Currency Swap Deal / Anxiety As FG Completes Review Of Mtn’s N34bn License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Emdee590(m): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2015
gabyosz:
All the 16 members of the ECOWAS, including Nigeria, had agreed to introduce a uniform import tariff, pegged at 35 per cent maximum, from January this year, to facilitate trade within the region.

Although the Nigeria Customs Service said the policy had taken effect on April 11, it was not enforced until Monday.

What is wrong with some of this guys did you not see the date was buhari in power at that time. J boy wss the one that did it.
Abeg tell them ooo waiting happen wey be say we no dae think straight now adays ? What sort of hatred we get for ds old man wey no dae make us think like a rational human naa ?

No wonder wey one nigga said na EDUCATED ILLITERATE full here
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by nickxtra(m): 10:34am On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
The dura man has sold us to the west! I knew his constant flights to London et all was to gain their acceptance by doing their bidding.
Creating more hardship for the people is the sign of change to come!
Nigeria I present to you the brainless babaonechance.. Peace
These tarrif plans have been initiated since last year, but are just being gradually enforced. So it has nothing to do with your 'dura' man. Comment reasonably or you get out of this thread.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by b3llo(m): 10:44am On Jun 12, 2015
Ollaboy:

May God bless you. That's a very good and simple economic interpretation of the policy. I wonder why some people were/are blaming government and to the extent of calling the new president (who had not been sworn in when the policy was introduced) all sorts of names. Let us always reason, because hatred will not take us anywhere in this country.
Amen and Thank you Sir. We all have to look at the bigger picture.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by doubleMplusM(f): 10:51am On Jun 12, 2015
TopHand:

Stop being spreading false misinformation, genuine importers having been fighting these new traffits for over a year, this is a policy of the last government, after protesting these new traffits the old govt delayed its implementation until january this year and since january we have been paying the new traffits go and ask your uncle how much he has been clearing his goods in the port since january, you people were shouting GEJ forever mean while he was selling you to the slave market, suddenly you find yourself in chains and you are now crying. Those importers complaining now are friends and family of the old govt they never used to pay duty while the rest of us were paying they can go to HELL

Pls tell them
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by ayabdul: 10:58am On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
The dura man has sold us to the west! I knew his constant flights to London et all was to gain their acceptance by doing their bidding.
. From the write up it is clear that this tariff was suppose to be implemented by January this year but was not,the most like reason was that the past administration is playing to the tune of some player who don't like the new tariff. But let me educate your humble mind,I believe such development is good for the sustenance of our economy. When people import at cheap price,the goods imported compete with our locally produce goods which in return force local producer out of business and create unemployment. So for any investor who want to have a share of the of the 150million people potential market should set up an industry in the country,not turn Nigeria to a dumping ground and cart away with the money ,and come think abt it also away of increasing revenue.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Tamaris1: 11:06am On Jun 12, 2015
MabraO:

[b]Mumu did u read wen d date it will take effect was 1st January but latter delayed to April 11th before finally starting on 10th June!

I know ur cluelessness wouldn't allow u see
[/b]

Yesterday I read on NL how Port Harcourt Refinery would operate at 80% capacity by July. You Pro PMB guys said the credit should go to Baba. Now that customs had decided to implement something that was approved in GEJ era you don't want PMB to take the blame! Hypocrisy if you ask me!!
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Digriz(m): 11:06am On Jun 12, 2015
where are the industries,? let him solve the problem of power first then we can expect to see many industry rising.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by unite4real: 11:07am On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:

Your Goodluck was still in office as at April 11. PMB did not sign this for implementation. Abi ECOWAS and Nigeria na one president them get?

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by spencekat(m): 11:12am On Jun 12, 2015
Hike in port charges will eventually aid potential importers to turn their attention to neighbouring ports like Accra,Tema etc.Also,this will also reduce berth occupancy at our ports and consequently,the revenue generated by ports will dwindle.It is worthy to note that the port system is the second highest revenue source to Nigeria government.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by teepounds: 11:25am On Jun 12, 2015
Fine, it will affect the immediate clearing of goods and services but this will in return boost our chances of improving and encouraging locally made products. All the same, there should be checks and balances to everything.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Israel5(m): 11:38am On Jun 12, 2015
I blame GEJ. #Oya kil me
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by themodernman: 11:54am On Jun 12, 2015
So how much for clearing cars now oh...car wey be 300k custom will now be 450k...I pity dealers here.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by themodernman: 11:56am On Jun 12, 2015
Israel5:
I blame GEJ. #Oya kil me

Kill yourself

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Neplusultra(f): 12:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
Wetin concern me, Igbo boys go dey import! Dey are unstoppable wink
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by chinchum(m): 12:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
So, your idea of selling to the west is to increase tariff in import. grin grin grin

Why yu no gree go school sef ?

Increase in import tariff tends to discourage importation and even encourage local production.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Neplusultra(f): 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2015
Setaje:
When the Israelites in the bible were being ruled by prophets. At that time Samuel was the last prophet to rule Israel. The Israelite said they wanted change. They did not want to be ruled by prophets anymore. God was not happy with it either but he answered the Israelite by appointing Saul who happened to be the tallest among the assembled Israelite and he was chosen as the first king of Israel. You want a king! A king you shall get!. He had the charisma and demeanor of a king but What happened to the Israelites when Saul assumed position!!!!!!!!!!!?
Hmmm, pls explain
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Ndukwe007(m): 12:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
my friend , how does importing finished goods help the economy?. if I were you ill start producing something locally and stop bad belleing laudable policies.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by piagetskinner(m): 12:48pm On Jun 12, 2015
This was all orchestrated by GEj...I'm sure he thought implementation of the new import levy before now, would have hindered him from being re-elected ino office, but he was wrong! Nigerians were already tired of his cluelessness #we are nigerians there will always be a way of surviving..papa God dey our back
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 12:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
[s]
handsomeclouds:
The advantage of the new policy is that- Domestic producers benefit by ultimately facing reduced competition in their home market, which leads to lower supply levels and higher prices for consumers. Less of the good is produced, and consumers pay higher prices.

Although-When a consumer does purchase a higher-priced imported good with a tariff imposed on it, the consumer now has less money to spend on other things. This forces consumers to either buy less of the imported good or less of some other good, ultimately lowering the purchasing power of consumers. It is important to remember that although consumers may pay higher prices because of tariffs and have limited options, the potential benefit is that domestic sales of goods can increase, ultimately leading to higher domestic sales and more jobs for companies inside the country[/s]
which domestic goods are you talking about and where are the goods they producedt? This tariff should be enforced when the government revives the Manufacturing sector.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Fourwinds: 1:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Increasing tariffs will cripple our economy. Nigeria is import driven thus the increment in tax, especially at this period of economic crises caused by fuel price, will discourage the use of conventional channels to import goods. Importers will resort to illegal importation through our porous boundaries. And this will not be good for our economy.

Also our small and medium scale importers will be frustrated out of business. As a result, commodities will be scarce, price of goods will skyrocket and the masses will suffer.

Some one should please teach some economic sense into the Daura President. We all know he failed economics back then in school. We even need to see his WASC Certificate sef.

[size=20pt]#BabaOneChance[/size]
i know ur cluelessness will not allow u to see. Did u read when it was suppose to begin.?? Take ur glasses and read again. U are pained by d loss of GEJ
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by erico2k2(m): 1:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
Dotmanroy:
guess ur stupidity has eaten deep dat u couldn't even read correctly...shame!!!
I don't think you criticism is fair on that guy.was this not same thing we kept saying during the GEJ era.Anything that goes wrong g is the fault of the govt of the day.why would it not be same for the govt of today??so if price of garrison goes up it's the fault of pm we should tar all with same brush no xcuse angry

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by Fourwinds: 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
kai!! I doubt if u had good classes in school. High import duty encourages local production and it is disadvantageous to d western nations
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by erico2k2(m): 1:21pm On Jun 12, 2015
Fourwinds:
i know ur cluelessness will not allow u to see. Did u read when it was suppose to begin.?? Take ur glasses and read again. U are pained by d loss of GEJ
I disagree with you during the era of GEJ every -very was his fault so why the change of blame NOW . PMB[ is in charge so if anything goes wrong even if it began 1970 he should fix it or re negotiate it to fit our demands. The UK are trying g to get out of the EUROPEAN cos their ethics do not fit the day to day demands of the British public.so if clueless GEJ negotiated thiis crap resolution then Mr fixer should be able to say Ok we are pulling out of ECOWAS as it benefits us in no way whatsoever
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by erico2k2(m): 1:25pm On Jun 12, 2015
Fourwinds:
kai!! I doubt if u had good classes in school. High import duty encourages local production and it is disadvantageous to d western nations
I disagree with you on that one.as the highest group of people to spend foreign currency on London high street are the Chinese. The biggest importers of Range Rover sport sun are the Chinese. They have a thriving econmoy.Do not forget when U buy to export.you do not pay VAT

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by erico2k2(m): 1:27pm On Jun 12, 2015
TIMEISWISDOM:
[s][/s] which domestic goods are you talking about and where are the goods they producedt? This tariff should be enforced when the government revives the Manufacturing sector.
but what part of manufacturing sector. ? Would it not be safe to say the govt of the day should work 2wards fixing power?
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2015
erico2k2:

but what part of manufacturing sector. ? Would it not be safe to say the govt of the day should work 2wards fixing power?
we are saying the same thing. Fix power, provide incentives for the sector to grow and when it begins to show signs of growth, support it by increasing import Tariffs but doing it now is not reasonable because it will cause unnecessary hardship to the common man.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by nwaezeubom: 2:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
huptin:
Its time to move Nigeria beyond oil, increase in import tarriff will boost government revenue, Buhari should go beyond this and implement tax reforms, Nigeria can make ten times more money from tax than the one we are currently making from oil, the move from OYEL economy to sustainable economic development has commenced, Nigerians its time to buckle up.

I don't think U believe what u are saying my friend. You want him to tax the people more, how would the people with out job pay the tax son? a few people paying more tax is the economy more than u know guy. Economics 101.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by nwaezeubom: 2:18pm On Jun 12, 2015
huptin:
Its time to move Nigeria beyond oil, increase in import tarriff will boost government revenue, Buhari should go beyond this and implement tax reforms, Nigeria can make ten times more money from tax than the one we are currently making from oil, the move from OYEL economy to sustainable economic development has commenced, Nigerians its time to buckle up.

I don't think U believe what u are saying my friend. You want him to tax the people more, how could the people with out job pay the tax son? a few people paying more tax is bad for the economy more than u know guy. Economics 101. there is a lot of money in Nigeria but our government don't know how to harness it. If people pay more on tax how could they then spent money to revitalize the economy. The more money the Government takes in the more corrupt they are, again economics 101. whenever you leave money on people they put it back into the economy my friend.

1 Like

Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by huptin(m): 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2015
nwaezeubom:

I don't think U believe what u are saying my friend. You want him to tax the people more, how could the people with out job pay the tax son? a few people paying more tax is bad for the economy more than u know guy. Economics 101. there is a lot of money in Nigeria but our government don't know how to harness it. If people pay more on tax how could they then spent money to revitalize the economy. The more money the Government takes in the more corrupt they are, again economics 101. whenever you leave money on people they put it back into the economy my friend.

When i say tax reform, what i really mean is putting in place mechanisms to block leakages in tax remittances to government, The truth is that tax system of Nigeria is upside down, the rich pay less or sometimes they don't even pay at all, a comprehensive tax reform will ensure that, the rich pay more, while the poor pay less, thereby increasing government revenues and ensuring better income distribution across all the strata of the Nigerian economy.
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by mfm04622: 2:28pm On Jun 12, 2015
xcolanto:
That West African Tariff was negotiated over several years and implementation was supposed to have commenced since April but since GEJ doesn't want anything to disturb his re-election, they postponed it. If well implemented, Nigertia will be the greatest beneficiary of this policy! All goods smuggled in through other country due to difference in duty charged in Nigeria and our neighbors will not pay smugglers as duty will be same all over West Africa! So Customs Duty in Nigeria will rise!
Re: Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff by mfm04622: 2:32pm On Jun 12, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
All Roads now lead to North-East Nigeria via Chad and Cameroon for purchase of cheap vehicles across boards.

North-East Economy will rise again.

Importers may avoid Ecowas countries to beat competition unless Chad and Cameroon will subscribe to the new import tariffs.

Congrats to Bokoharam, they now have a business - Import and Sell at cheap rate to finance their insurgency

Chad doesn't have a sea port! Where will they import the cars from? I don't think Cameroon can compete with us in this case! Have you ever heard of smugglers smuggling cars from Cameroon to Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Recovers N1bn From Ponzi Scheme Suspects In Rivers / Jaiz Bank PLC (Islamic Bank) Opens For Business / *

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.