Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB (1319 Views)

Foiled Terror Attack On US: Obama Writes PMB, Hails DSS / Ffk Writes Pmb An Open Letter: Impunity And The Enthronement Of Tyranny / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by Vicben(m): 12:55pm On Jun 12, 2015
Mr President,

Permit me to share my unsolicited advice on the outcome of the elections into the leadership positions at the National Assembly, Sir.

There is no doubt, the leadership of your party, our party, the APC, is angered by the disregard by some of her members, of her expressed directives on the party's preferred personnel to lead both chambers of the National Assembly. While this is the case, how your Presidency continue to react in the aftermath of this unfortunate happenstance, shall be what will ultimately define the relationship between the executive and the legislative arms of government in your tenure as President.

There is also no doubt that the legislature is instrumental to the success of any administration especially one anchored on a spirited aspiration for change. It is trite, a legislature friendly to the transformation agenda of a President, is a sine qua non for the successful enthronement of such agenda. The support of the legislature must be courted and for this, the relationship with its leaders and how that leadership is able to secure the necessary bi-partisan support is very key.

It is for the fact of the absolute need for this partnership between these arms of Government that I write to urge for an early avoidance of a sustained body language and action or series of actions that could alienate some members of the party, few of whom, after a bout of disregard for the stance of the party, are now Senate President, Speaker and Deputy Speaker.

However, as a forward looking approach, we must draw positives from the situation at hand. We must manage the situation without a resort to muscle flexing especially as the end does your administration's efforts no favours. The Party can and should strengthen her rules on how nominations for these positions would be arrived at in future. For now, the party must be able to deal with the situation in a manner that enhances the successful implementation of her legislative agenda.

Remember Sir, the APC holds only a tiny majority in the Senate and neither the party nor the President can afford to further weaken itself by allowing events of Tuesday mar how the party fares in delivering on her promises to Nigerians.

The party must recognise that it is easier for her to forgive and support the current leadership of the legislature than it would have been for the PDP who are in the opposition, to support a leadership they loathe. It is easier, given the present realities, to nurture a bi-partisan support for the leadership of both chambers of the National Assembly. We must, as a party, turn this seeming poor start to something that spurs us on. We have, hopefully, a National Assembly leadership 'liked' by the opposition; the party must draw whatever gains there are from the relationship.

As a Party expected to be better than the PDP, we must be able to manage this occurrence better than did the PDP. Our members who disregarded party directives must not be driven into the waiting arms of the opposition. How the Party and the Presidency relates with them must not be defined by the anger ignited by their disrespect for party leaders and directives; that relationship must be defined by a resolute commitment and an unwavering regards for the bigger picture. The party can and should punish them but the Party must also treat them as members of the party whose latest actions they find not befitting of the loyalty standards expected of an APC member.

Let me also use the privilege of this letter to applaud your decision to not unduly interfere in how another arm of Government selects her leaders. In a country where every Chief Executive at every tier of Government is urged to use/abuse his powers everywhere, you have shown rare restraint and commendable regards for an arm of Government that is expected to be independent but for which most Chief Executives have made it their business to overtly influence her leadership. It is my hope that this respect shall be reciprocated by all well meaning legislators as they settle down to the real business of legislation.

Lastly Sir, while hoping that wise counsel prevails, I like to re-draw your attention to the heading of my letter which heading is the only misrepresentation I have knowingly put forward, Sir.

Yours Truly,

Raymond Magen
Re: NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by fashoo2010(m): 1:32pm On Jun 12, 2015
Hmmm
Re: NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by samueld0(m): 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2015
In Baba Fela's voice

Animal go wear Agbada
Re: NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by knightsTempler: 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
undecided

Which Obasanjo White this one? Baba Iyabo or...?
Re: NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by jom28gy(m): 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2015
obasanjo stintly creepling into buharis government.
Re: NASS Election: Obasanjo Writes PMB by MEILYN(m): 3:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
jom28gy:
obasanjo stintly creepling into buharis government.
Na wa for you ooo. It wasn't Obasanjo that wrote that. The op only used Obasanjo to draw attention.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians react to the dissolution of NNPC board of directors on twitter. / Why Every Child From The South Should Be Sad / PHOTOS: Youth Corper who died in Service buried today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.