Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,899 members, 7,821,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M (675 Views)

APC, Security Agents Scheme To Conduct Rivers Election Under Buhari's Govt– Wike / ISIS Beheads Elderly Man Accused Of Witchcraft (gore Image Inside) / Ekiti Welfare Scheme To Benefit 52,000 Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by Epi: 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2009
My friend at the court house said "this fellow is beyond smart"  I said to my friend "he is not smart because his ass is in deep Sh*t.  LOL

1 love

NEW YORK - Prosecutors have accused a Nigerian man of trying to swindle nearly $27 million from an account in New York held by Ethiopia's central bank.

The U.S. Attorney's office in New York says Paul Gabriel Amos pleaded not guilty Friday to conspiracy to commit bank and wire fraud.

The government says the 37-year-old man sent fake documents to a Citibank office in New York where the National Bank of Ethiopia kept funds. The documents claimed to authorize transfers to accounts around the world controlled by Amos and coconspirators.

A complaint signed by FBI agent Bryan Trebelhorn said the fraud was discovered when the overseas banks returned funds to Citibank.

A court-appointed attorney said Amos was in plea discussions.

___

Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com

http://www.startribune.com/nation/40023797.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU
Re: Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by MrCrackles(m): 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2009
Dem don come again! grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by jamace(m): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2009
OP this your title na wao.

Our image dragged into the mud again. Hmmm.
Re: Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by Epi: 11:55pm On Feb 21, 2009
fellas,

Don't worry mon, this too shall pass. All I want to know is what really infiltrates/encourages some Nigerians to commit this kind of “crime”? If you ask me, seems like this has become a part of the Nigerian culture and a hobby to some but I stand to be corrected.
Guess what? Tourism is still booming in Nigeria. Nigeria is one of the most recognized/influential countries in the world. And in my book, you guys are smart and intelligent. See, there are still positive things to say about Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 love
Re: Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by tpia: 3:50am On Feb 22, 2009
Re: Nigerian man accused in scheme to swindle $27M by SeanT21(f): 4:18am On Feb 22, 2009
tpia:

are they sure the man is Nigerian? With that kind of name he could be from anywhere.

what evidence are they basing his nationality on? I'm not saying he's not but they need to make sure.

I am pretty sure they have records!!

(1) (Reply)

Local Printing Of N1,000 Notes To Start This Year – Nspmc Boss / The Present Generation Of National Assembly Is the Worst Ever: / Poverty Politics How Long Are We Going To Continue Playing This Kind Of Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.