Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons (901 Views)

Babangida: How Us Invited 12nothern Governors To Remove Jonathan. / Buhari Directs Immediate Payment Of December Salaries / Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by klins4213(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2015
I don't know if its what am thinking sha...creating room for new inmates...

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed state governors across the country to ensure the reduction of the number of prison inmates in their various states.

Kaduna State Governor Malam Nasir el-Rufai, who disclosed this while on a working visit to the Kaduna convict prison, said the president’s directive was in the spirit of decongesting the prisons across the country.

El-Rufai said, “Our leader, President Muhammadu Buhari, has directed all governors to visit prisons and ensure that we reduce to the barest minimum those that have spent many years awaiting trial in our courts.

“It is injustice for a person to be kept for a long time in the name of awaiting trial. This is why President Buhari directed all governors to undertake such visits so that, working together with the Ministry of Justices and the Prison authorities, we’ll ensure we do something about it.”

He assured that the state government, despite its financial challenges, would do its best to ensure that the people prison for wrong reasons and are awaiting trial get justice.

Receiving the governor, the state controller of prison, Mr. Abubakar Garba, noted that the convict prison, established in 1915 with the capacity of 547, is now housing over 1,000 inmates.

Disclosing that about 114 inmates were condemned criminals, with 11 of them citizens of Kaduna State, he appealed to the governor to commute the death sentences of 11 inmates of Kaduna State origin to life imprisonment. He also revealed that the prison had only two functional vans for conveying about 800 awaiting trial inmates, which he said, portends danger to people of the state.

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2015/06/buhari-directs-governors-to-decongest.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Basildvalour(m): 9:25am On Jun 13, 2015
Fresh men are on his list waiting to be bundled in there.

The old ones have tried, I want new people even in cell....Buharinism
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by PRYCE(m): 9:50am On Jun 13, 2015
Thought he was threatening to flood those same prisons with political opponents?
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Flets: 9:51am On Jun 13, 2015
The sure way out of corruption is fix the system, institutions and eliminate bureaucracy.

All the noise about probe and jail is all balderdash and playing to the gallery.

You can only jail one or two but that is where it ends as that never nips corruption. 

We must get back to the GEJ template. Fix our systems.... without that we will be pursuing the wind.

Any fight against corruption tied to a personality (in this case Buhari) is a joke especially in our democracy. Strenghten the system, block the loopholes and make it tough to loot.... thanks to technology.

In the absence of the right systems, looting is easy and almost every public office holder is corrupt. With a stringent system, the few who will attempt to bypass the system can be singled out and prosecuted.

Uninformed Nigerians want to draw blood and wanna hear jails...... but to what end? Assuming Buhari jails everyone (albeit impossible)..... what happens after he leaves?
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by ramdris(m): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2015
Of course. We don't want to mix petty thieves with the incoming ghana-must-go criminals. grin
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 13, 2015
Daura President has started performing
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Henrolla(m): 9:57am On Jun 13, 2015
lolzz...reminds me of this
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Henrolla(m): 10:01am On Jun 13, 2015
lolz..reminds me of this

Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by klins4213(m): 10:15am On Jun 13, 2015
Lolz....i like the pic.....
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by BCISLTD: 10:22am On Jun 13, 2015
Make space for new intakes....but I think reforms are needed in that sector
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by adenine02: 10:22am On Jun 13, 2015
New set of inmates are coming in grin
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by adenine02: 10:24am On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Daura President has started performing
If u can insult this man
I bilive u will do worst. 2 ur fadar
Hell is for saTANs.
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2015
Hmm i smell freshers o
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 13, 2015
adenine02:
If u can insult this man I bilive u will do worst. 2 ur fadar Hell is for saTANs.
may you live in West Germany forever. Daura President
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by adenine02: 10:45am On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
may you live in West Germany forever. Daura President

Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 13, 2015
adenine02:
he is a dullard for life
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by mikolo80: 10:59am On Jun 13, 2015
If this is not a compassionate man I don't know what is
Re: Buhari Directs Governors To Decongest Prisons by oliverjiad(m): 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2015
grin grin grin
adenine02:

If u can insult this man
I bilive u will do worst. 2 ur fadar
Hell is for saTANs.

(1) (Reply)

I Laugh And I Weep: My Thoughts On Bukola Saraki - Nkenu Timothy Woma / Atiku And Obasajo Plan To Stop The Fuctioning Of Our Refineries. / EFCC Quizzes Etete Over Dubious $1.1 Billion Malabu Oil Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.