Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu (804 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by zenith4biz(m): 2:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
I could not help but notice a reiteration – as if to ensure that there is no ambiguity – of the word “child”,near superfluously. Well, we understand “child” as defined in most dictionaries.

The There is however also child as defined by the Nigerian legislature.

This definition is contained in a prior Bill, sponsored, no less, by a notorious serial pedophile and cross-border sex trafficker, yet lawmaker – one Ahmed Yerima.

Does Yerima’s Bill, gleefully assented to by his peers, not simply vitiate this latter,supposedly humane concern for the protection of the child? Again, I confess to being only a ‘bloody layman’ in such matters. However, reading both bills, it strikes me that all the new bill does is empower the clique of paedophiles.

All you need do is “marry” even a six-year old under any local laws, and do whatever you want with her. Through marriage, she is already an “adult”

“defiler” is now fully protected by this law. She is not

This bill, subjected to wrong arguments, merely consolidates the reduction of female minors to sex objects..
As long as you can afford a bag of rice or – as in the case of cross-border tastes such as Ahmed Yerima’s – ten thousand dollars, you are free to rape a child to death.

This, surely cannot pretend to represent the will of a people who care. Once you re-define female adulthood as marital status, all subsequent protection bills for the girl-child are worthless, cynical.

My take;

Professor Wole Soyinka is not totalling condemning this bill but the previous bill sponsored by Yerima that specifies that a female would deemed to be an adult when she is married.
Hence this bill sponsored by Senator Chris would be of no effect to pedophiles who tends to use marriage as a tool for 'raping' kids.

Let's see Senator Chris reply

You were misled by someone who deliberately distorted the content of one of the most profound bills ever passed by the Nigerian legislature, scandalised the proponent and the institution for reasons that you and I may not know.

No where in the SEXUAL OFFENCES BILL That I proposed; no where in the bill passed by Senate was it stated that you can defile an 11 years old.

No where in the bill passed by the Senate was the age “11 years” mentioned.

Senator Chris Anyanwu response is quite good, Professor Wole Soyinka in his own letter did not demonize the bill but he did a critical juxtaposition between the bill in question and the one sponsored by Yerima.

Yerima bill does not ensure child protection while the current bill raised the level of protection for children. But for the current bill to be successful the previous bill must be revisited.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 15, 2015
I've taken your virginity,you're mine forevergrin
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by rawtouch: 2:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
Someone should bring this bill to my office let me see
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by rawtouch: 2:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
Someone should bring this bill to my office let me look into it
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 15, 2015
femaleGuy:
I've taken your virginity,you're mine forevergrin

Picture or video of d displaced cum disposed hymen or I don't believe
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Picture or video of d displaced cum disposed hymen or I don't believe
lolzzzgrin check my DP its there
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 15, 2015
Why is Chris being singled out for bashing?

Her initial proposal was to use the legal maturity age of 18 to define the age of a minor i.e. any girl under 18 is considered a child but the northern Moslem Senators kicked against using the legal age limit but rather chose the sexual maturity limit of 12.

What this means is that any individual who is convicted of defiling a girl ( 11 or below) is to be sentenced to life imprisonment. It doesn't state that girls older (12 and above can be wantonly r@ped) but rather offers a lesser sentence.

It must be noted that this is the first piece of legislation that criminalizes and punishes with life imprisonment any individual who defiles or r@pes an underage girl.

Prior to that there were no anti-ped0phile laws.

Wole Soyinka is just seeking attention as usual.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Vs Senator Chris Anyanwu by zenith4biz(m): 4:49pm On Jun 15, 2015
BackDatAssUp:
Why is Chris being singled out for bashing?

Prior to that there were no anti-ped0phile laws.

Wole Soyinka is just seeking attention as usual.

You are right brother, Soyinka should have diverted his fury at the National Assembly and not singling out Senator Chris.

There is an urgent need for anti Pedophile law this would bridge the loophole in the latter bill

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Needs Divine Intervention – El-rufai / Reward Amaechi For His Courageous Support, North Tells Buhari / Man Kills Wife And Reported Himself To The Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.