Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,264 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs (3431 Views)

Hygroma In Dogs / What Causes Miscarriages/Abortion In Dogs / Early Signs Of Pregnancy In Dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 16, 2015
Hi pple,
Will really like to knw wat happens wen mating occurs btw say father n daughter or brother and sister.

Cheers
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by xreal: 7:37am On Jun 16, 2015
Not too good with dogs bro.

Control/avoid it (if you can).

cheers.
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 16, 2015
xreal:
Not too good with dogs bro.

Control/avoid it (if you can).

cheers.

Noted and thanks.

But how do we know we don't all inbreed?.lets say my dog litters 8 puppies and I sell them in various locations, what if bro n sis from same source meet somehow and breed without both owners knowing..

Cos that must have happened countless times

I have a 1 yr female great Dane who will soon be ready for mating..prob is I avent see any good male except her father who is a champion breed..
The owner of the father says that if they mate and the puppies come out, they will have 75% of their fathers genes..

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by art1f3(m): 9:00am On Jun 16, 2015
Phantomstranger:

Noted and thanks.
But how do we know we don't all inbreed?.lets say my dog litters 8 puppies and I sell them in various locations, what if bro n sis from same source meet somehow and breed without both owners knowing..
I have a 1 yr female great Dane who will soon be ready for mating..prob is I avent see any good male except her father who is a champion breed..
The owner of the father says that if they mate and the puppies come out, they will have 75% of their fathers genes..
What do you think?

its always important for people to ask questions regarding the origin of the dogs before breeding . Only people who have little or no knowledge of breeding dogs would mate their dogs anyhow.

Well please dont mate your dog with the father. It would have terrible consequences.
The puppies may either have stunted growth, mental challenge, physical challenge, sometimes mutation, and the popular dreaded dog disease "hip dysplasia".
Please never mate them.
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by kunlesufyan(m): 10:02am On Jun 16, 2015
Seen it happen to a friend's Samoyed and the puppies were not even strong enough to suck the mother breast milk..they all died within a week.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by coolsegun2002: 11:35am On Jun 16, 2015
The disadvantage comes when there's a genetic disease or undesired trait from one ofthe parent..say a bent figure, or limp as a result of shorter hind leg etc...so if a male dog with a an undesired trait or disease mates a female dog which produces 4 puppies... Let's say two of the puppies exhibit the unwanted trait...nd two doesn't exibit it ....now this the science..every trait an animal or man exhibits or dont "exhibit" is as coded for by genes donated from both parents...so just because the other 2puppies doesn't show the undesired trait doesn't mean they don't have the gene donated to dem...it only means its recessive in them nd dominant in the other two that showed the traits...now if ..inbreeding happens even btw the two datddnt exibit the traits ...the tendency for the trait or disease to express bcomes higher than when a cross happen from a completely separate litter..

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by mystery1979: 3:40pm On Jun 16, 2015
pls I am really curious now,does it mean that if one imports a male and a female at the same time from same parents,at adulthood,one can not breed them just because they came from the same source even if there is no unwanted trait in both of them.oga dem in d house shud clarify us on dis particular issue abeg
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by coolsegun2002: 4:42pm On Jun 16, 2015
mystery1979:
pls I am really curious now,does it mean that if one imports a male and a female at the same time from same parents,at adulthood,one can not breed them just because they came from the same source even if there is no unwanted trait in both of them.oga dem in d house shud clarify us on dis particular issue abeg
Me I no be oga ooo like dem prodigee nd chuky234...I just wan answer u...I think the issue is u are adviced to avoid it..just incase there a trait that recessive(ie not showing physically) ...its not like u would automatically produce Defective puppies if u in-breed...its just an advice...wear a rubber when having sexx...doesn't mean if don't wear u must catch an STD..u get??
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 17, 2015
logically, i dont see any sense in this theory.
they are not humans so i dont see why they can't be boned by their dads

based on the analysis above, i think there is even a greater chance of bringing a bad traits from a dog from another line
if papa has a good trait, daughter brought up properly and is the best of the litter

i think you stand the chance of waxing the good visible traits while waning the bad hidden traits.
logically speaking
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by mystery1979: 9:59am On Jun 17, 2015
coolsegun2002:

Me I no be oga ooo like dem prodigee nd chuky234...I just wan answer u...I think the issue is u are adviced to avoid it..just incase there a trait that recessive(ie not showing physically) ...its not like u would automatically produce Defective puppies if u in-breed...its just an advice...wear a rubber when having sexx...doesn't mean if don't wear u must catch an STD..u get??
tanks anyway,i wil take d advice but I just want to learn and I guess many others like me wants to learn too,my question is if no bad trait is found in both father and daughter,y can't they breed,dats wht I wnt to knw because breeding d dog from anoda lineage does not quaranty good traits if d dog has unwanted traits.just need clarification.
cc:arcbay,prodeegee,chukky and co,abeg make una pick up d mic
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Prodeegee(m): 10:09am On Jun 17, 2015
kunlesufyan:
Seen it happen to a friend's Samoyed and the puppies were not even strong enough to suck the mother breast milk..they all died within a week.

This is what happens...I'll explain further...
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by mystery1979: 10:11am On Jun 17, 2015
Prodeegee:

This is what happens...I'll explain further...
ok,we dey wait
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by kunlesufyan(m): 10:27am On Jun 17, 2015
My own question is " does inbreeding cause still birth,and what's are the causes of stillbirth in a dog that was crossed with a male from a diff family??"
Cc Prodeegee
chuky234
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by younghartz(m): 5:55pm On Jun 17, 2015
what bout fowls dat do mate each other? undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by chucky234(m): 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
Inbreeding results in an increased likelihood of
undesirable traits being inherited into the
subsequent offspring, and this heightens the
chances of recessive mutations occurring.
The potential for undesirable and unforeseen
Several hereditary conditions and illnesses which can also be inherited by dogs only occur if the pups inherit the recessive gene from both parents, and the likelihood of them having two parents with the recessive gene which then causes the potential problem in the pup is of course much higher if the two parents are closely related in the first place.
Conditions such as hip dysplasia and patella
luxation are just two of the many potential
congenital defects and hereditary conditions that can occur from inbreeding, inbreeding is not advisable as the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Coldplay007(f): 2:17am On Jun 21, 2015
Phantomstranger:

Noted and thanks.

What do you think?

I have a different opinion from the "NL experts".. grin
Experts have been know to intentionally in bred dogs to retain certain features they want to keep... Most of the great breeds resulted from inbreeding..

However, with repeated inbreeding their are certain disadvantages from the "limited gene pool".. Inbreeding tend to act like a magnifier, magnify the positive features, it also magnifies the negative features.. hip dysplasia, infertility etc

My advice is kind of contrary to all the information...
If you can't get any pedigree Great Dane to cross with your female, I will mate them just once... I will take the risk that few of the pups might have the negative genes but I will have some pups that will have the same genes of the pedigree father or better genes self(Magnifyer)..... it's practically a lottery.. grin grin

But I doubt if any study or evidence shows that inbreeding leads to any appreciable deaths of young pups or "pup not strong enough to suck" or stillbirths...

The greatest risk is in what is called repeated in breeding which should never be done...

Finally, the largest finest GSD we ever had while growing up was fathered by a father and daughter, that liter had 3 pups.. one pup was born crippled grin grin

http://www.thedogplace.org/GENETICS/Dog-Breeding_Gammill-098.asp
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Nobody: 6:42am On Jun 21, 2015
Coldplay007:

Experts have been know to intentionally in bred dogs to retain certain features they want to keep... Most of the great breeds resulted from inbreeding..

However, with repeated inbreeding their are certain disadvantages from the "limited gene pool".. Inbreeding tend to act like a magnifier, magnify the positive features, it also magnifies the negative features.. hip dysplasia, infertility etc

If you can't get any pedigree Great Dane to cross with your female, I will mate them just once... I will take the risk that few of the pups might have the negative genes but I will have some pups that will have the same genes of the pedigree father or better genes self(Magnifyer)..... it's practically a lottery.. grin grin

But I doubt if any study or evidence shows that inbreeding leads to any appreciable deaths of young pups or "pup not strong enough to suck" or stillbirths...

The greatest risk is in what is called repeated in breeding which should never be done...

Finally, the largest finest GSD we ever had while growing up was fathered by a father and daughter, that liter had 3 pups.. one pup was born crippled grin grin

My point exactly

Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by chucky234(m): 7:45am On Jun 21, 2015
Coldplay007:

The truth is many of the exotic breed we have today were as a result of inbreeding by mating closely related dogs which helps to maintain or keep pool of gene together but in modern times things have changed.
In the past people weren't bothered if just one puppy survive from liters of 13 but today its a big deal.
To be on the safer side on the long run avoid inbreeding your dogs.
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 01, 2015
chucky234:
The truth is many of the exotic breed we have today were as a result of inbreeding by mating closely related dogs which helps to maintain or keep pool of gene together but in modern times things have changed.
In the past people weren't bothered if just one puppy survive from liters of 13 but today its a big deal.
To be on the safer side on the long run avoid inbreeding your dogs.

But really to be factual, in Nigeria of today, we really don't know wch dog is mating which..imagine I had a champion boerboel that littered lets say 7, and they were all bought at diff locations, how are we to knw that a year and a half later, cousins or even brother n sis wnt mate?

I have this bros, that has like the largest dog IV ever seen(and iv seen quite a lot) its a great Dane 39inches to the withers, pple come from all around to mate this dog, im sure some of its products have mated without the owners knowing, it may be second or third generation, who knws....

I really searched wide for a champion Dane, im yet to find... And I really wanna grow a champion male...so im getting really tempted..still on the fence tho
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by rumenase(m): 2:30pm On May 23, 2017
art1f3:

its always important for people to ask questions regarding the origin of the dogs before breeding . Only people who have little or no knowledge of breeding dogs would mate their dogs anyhow.

Well please dont mate your dog with the father. It would have terrible consequences.
The puppies may either have stunted growth, mental challenge, physical challenge, sometimes mutation, and the popular dreaded dog disease "hip dysplasia".
Please never mate them.

inbreeding us not advisable but what yu said will only happen if the trait is recessive. it does not always happen.
Re: Can Someone Pls Tell Me The Disadvantages Of Inbreeding In Dogs by hydroponicist(f): 5:05am On Jul 12, 2020
chucky234:
Inbreeding results in an increased likelihood of
undesirable traits being inherited into the
subsequent offspring, and this heightens the
chances of recessive mutations occurring.
The potential for undesirable and unforeseen
Several hereditary conditions and illnesses which can also be inherited by dogs only occur if the pups inherit the recessive gene from both parents, and the likelihood of them having two parents with the recessive gene which then causes the potential problem in the pup is of course much higher if the two parents are closely related in the first place.
Conditions such as hip dysplasia and patella
luxation are just two of the many potential
congenital defects and hereditary conditions that can occur from inbreeding, inbreeding is not advisable as the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
You're right about patella luxation in dogs

(1) (Reply)

7 Weeks Old Rottweiler Puppies For Sale (4puppies) / "Black" at a Month Old; Let's watch her grow and transform / Please Help My Fiancee 5weeks Old GSD (zara).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.