Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises (38050 Views)

My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Husband Takes His Christian Wife To Sharia Court For "Praying Too Much" (Photos) / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by ideykwum: 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
Bros, thanks for the clarification! My friend here was sweating!! Lol!

adeaks:

But you also know that under the law, breach of promise to marry is one of the actions that cannot succeed without the plaintiff's testimony being specifically corroborated.

Now who was there when he promised to marry her that will corroborate her claim in court? As far as I know cohabiting with a lady does not ipso facto raise such presumption, neither does it equate to an express promise to marry.

Or why do you think that breach of promise to marry cases rarely succeed in Nigeria? Hardly would you find up to five in our case law.

With a good lawyer this case won't succeed, otherwise all the baby mamas in Nigeria would be rushing to court. undecided
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by cactuscee(m): 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
firstEVA:
under the law, it is called "breach of promise to marry". He has to pay damages, next time, he will learn to keep his promise.
I beg madam , quote the section of the law.
Two insensible people agreed and aligned to be commiting adultery , we dey hear they blow grammar.
When den dey do the things , den no go call person make he come help them small. undecided
Next topic please .
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by urchbarbie(f): 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
hardbody:

This evidence will be torn to shreds by a young wig under cross examination. She will consistently contradict herself and will be treated as a witness of untruth. The guy should even bring her character into issue and mess her up thoroughly in the public court. I will even pay an area boy that will testify to have been sleeping with her.
except d lady is a dummy, it cant. I rmbr being tot dat promise to marry can be upheld in a court of law. google. its been judicially noticed in d country of late. wat more does she need to prove. u kept her in a house for over 9mnths, put her in d family way. My dear, dis kind circumstantial evidence plenty. She wld nail him. am just sad dat in Nigeria she can only get a few thousands. If its in d west, she wld be a millionaire (in dollars at dat)
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
Melahou:

What does evidence Act got to do with domestic affair...you must be high
I shouldn't even be conversing with you, your ignorance level is suffocating.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by urchbarbie(f): 8:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
adeaks:

Hahahahaha. You sef know say our judicial system is not so gullible. If it were that easy every lady who has been heart broken would sue. grin If there isn't anybody who can testify to hearing him propose or evidence of a written proposal, her case is dead on arrival.
its not a matter of being gullible dear. I av read one case were a lady succeeded in d northern part of nigeria. Someone said she needs to corroborate d promise to marry ish. I Doubt dat. its just like proving adultery in divorce proceedings is circumstantial so is this case too. once d lady can tell d court he engaged her, provide relevant exhibits ie d ring, any oda fancy stuff she can lay her hands as an engagement gift coupled with d fact that they cohabited, and to cement it, get a neighbor who can testify in her favor, d man is a gonner.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Rexology: 8:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
firstEVA:
under the law, it is called "breach of promise to marry". He has to pay damages, next time, he will learn to keep his promise.
Hahahaha...under which law? There is no known law nor any provision of any law in Nigeria that recognizes a 'mere promise', in other words, a 'mere promise' is not enforceable under the law.The court is only looking at the fact that he impregnated her, and left her with no care. Ladies know that you cannot bring any legal action against a man on a 'mere promise' of marriage.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by urchbarbie(f): 8:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
cactuscee:

I beg madam , quote the section of the law.
Two insensible people agreed and aligned to be commiting adultery , we dey hear they blow grammar.
When den dey do the things , den no go call person make he come help them small. undecided
Next topic please .
its called in simple terms, contract. I beg u to get a good contract text and study. abeg Claroo come and recommend a text for dis friend
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by FynBabe(f): 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
How?
ideykwum:
Babe, you're harsh oo! Shiorr?!!

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
MarvellousGod:
I don't pity the woman one bit... Packed into a man's house just to make the man marry her? Jobless woman..

Was washing, cooking, cleaning, then kpetus every night.. The man enjoy oo cheesy grin grin tongue
Sorry woman, you've been dumped, time to go back to your parents and get a life..

Women should learn biko.. why so desperate? angry
Hahshahahahahahahahaha kpekus every night?! the thing na oxygen?! well the girl de jons, she's an adult and wasn't pressurized into moving in with the guy. The guy should take care of her and the pregnancy since they can fk let them be ready for the responsibilities. bet she wanted to solidify abi hold the guy down with the pregnancy, its 2015 that trick doesn't work no more meeeeeehn.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Melahou(m): 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
firstEVA:
I shouldn't even be conversing with you, your ignorance level is suffocating.

I knew you were so dumb but i didn't no it has gotten out of hands.

Please make sure you take your medications as prescribed
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Rexology: 9:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:
its called in simple terms, contract. I beg u to get a good contract text and study. abeg Claroo come and recommend a text for dis friend
My dear, there is no established contract in this case.
For anything to be termed a 'contract',it must have these features:
1.Offer
2.Acceptance
3.Consideration.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by ideykwum: 9:09pm On Jun 19, 2015
That's taking it too far now!

FynBabe:
How?
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Claroo(m): 9:12pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:
except d lady is a dummy, it cant. I rmbr being tot dat promise to marry can be upheld in a court of law. google. its been judicially noticed in d country of late. wat more does she need to prove. u kept her in a house for over 9mnths, put her in d family way. My dear, dis kind circumstantial evidence plenty. She wld nail him. am just sad dat in Nigeria she can only get a few thousands. If its in d west, she wld be a millionaire (in dollars at dat)
Promise to marry can be upheld in a court of law in Nigeria as long as the plaintiff/petitioner can corroborate it as stated in d Evidence Act. She can even corroborate it with direct evidence such as 'Sms,Bbm Chat,Watsapp Chat and even Love Letters grin dat was exchanged btw both parties.
But hardly wil u see such case in our court sha
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Claroo(m): 9:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:
'Family Law in Nigeria' by Nwogugu
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
Rexology:

Hahahaha...under which law? There is no known law nor any provision of any law in Nigeria that recognizes a 'mere promise', in other words, a 'mere promise' is not enforceable under the law.The court is only looking at the fact that he impregnated her, and left her with no care. Ladies know that you cannot bring any legal action against a man on a 'mere promise' of marriage.
bro tell em ooo before you see them suing niggas for " he promised to fk hell outta me but didn't "
2. he promised to make me cum,
3. he promised to fk Map all night long ( the guy na robot?)
4. he promised to buy me iPhone 6 but didn't
5. he promised to take me shopping but didn't
6. he promised to send me a romantic text but didn't he's heartless
7. he promised to suck the thing but couldn't
8. he promised to pay my house rent but later told me stories.
and so on wey be say court go full wella, judges go crase leave court tear race.
But niggas make una no dey promise wetin una no fit do na.

3 Likes

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by hardbody: 9:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:

Understand my context. I am aware there is a plethora of case law on this point. I am only following the argument you led when you talked about her proving her case with a ring supposedly bought by the guy in question. I said an argument placed on that plank will be dismantled without much ado.

My earlier submission was based on jurisdictional competence. The matter will eventually be delivered on preponderance of evidence.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:
its not a matter of being gullible dear. I av read one case were a lady succeeded in d northern part of nigeria. Someone said she needs to corroborate d promise to marry ish. I Doubt dat. its just like proving adultery in divorce proceedings is circumstantial so is this case too. once d lady can tell d court he engaged her, provide relevant exhibits ie d ring, any oda fancy stuff she can lay her hands as an engagement gift coupled with d fact that they cohabited, and to cement it, get a neighbor who can testify in her favor, d man is a gonner.

But it is there expressly in the evidence act nah. S.197. Proof of breach of promise to marry is not circumstancial, that I am very very sure of. The neighbour would only work if he can give evidence of being there when the promise to marry was made otherwise his evidence would be hearsay. That's why cases on breach of promise to marry are rarely filed in our courts. You can read these old cases if you can get them. Sowande v Sowande and Olusanya v Ibadiaran.

***** I'd appreciate if you can give me the citation of d northern case you mentioned as I can't remember any case on this issue in recent times. I'd like to read it.

1 Like

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Sagamite(m): 9:20pm On Jun 19, 2015
Neyoor:
FTC!

If further hearing revealed that the man is deliberately avoiding this lady to find solace in the arms of another lady elsewhere, after promising this lady heaven an earth, just to get access to her priceless body....... He should be given a stiff penalty for such offence. And as for the lady, epele mah, eku amun monra.

Meanwhile, I'm the First to comment. Any gift for this achievement?

You are a cretinous fuuktard.

He should be given penalty for what?

1 Like

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 19, 2015
cococandy:
Ok so does this mean if a guy gets dumped by a lady who promised to marry him, he can sue her legally?
hmmmm so now you're going to try and get Ann evidence to keep just In case a fella fails huh.... soon ladies go full for court. Things that kpekus cause
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Sagamite(m): 9:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
firstEVA:

FynBabe:
This is good news! It means the era of 'chopping and cleaning' mouth for guys is over forever. I see more ladies taking advantage of this.

andromida:
Good one.

Subom1:
grin Nigeria is finally upgrading. Let this be a lesson to all men tongue grin grin grin

I love it when I see women showing that their selfish side I have always highlighted. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/2318469/growing-number-rich-comfortable-single/11#34895149

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:

You are analysing this issue from an emotional angle rather the strict angle of the law as a lawyer.

Now, cohabitation raises a presumption of marriage under common law....accepted. But that means the action she would file in court would not be a "breach of promise to marry". Rather she would simply lead evidence, invoke and rely on the presumption of marriage and then pray that the court should compel him to pay her maintenance as her husband.

But for a B.o.p.m, she is saying that there is no marriage between them because he promised to marry her but reneged on his promise. You can not approbate and reprobate at the same time in law. It is either she is asking for damages based on b.o.p.m or she is asking for maintenance as his wife under common law. She can't ask for the two at once.

1 Like

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Sagamite(m): 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2015
cococandy:
Ok so does this mean if a guy gets dumped by a lady who promised to marry him, he can sue her legally?

That would be sexism na.

Is it by force to marry a guy?

Are we going to be taking the numerous girls in Nigeria that find a maga to pay for everything for them while he is hoping for sex he would never get or we will just tell him to sharpen up? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Truckpusher(m): 9:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
Deejavuu:

Lool..

Na one eye i take dey look you
Hehe - come take me now or never . tongue

I be bad market, abi? cheesy
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
Subom1:
grin Nigeria is finally upgrading. Let this be a lesson to all men tongue grin grin grin
lesson?! Hahahahahaha if I hear, operation chop and clean mouth is here to stay. even as we de type sef orijin and truckpusher don de tidy their promises naa but #200,000 for just bail? Nawao de kpekus cost reach #200,000? judge Di a r is god
niggas might as well sue to get refund from expense on the girl abi? what of niggas wey babes de dissapoint? Hahahahahaha this shitt is funny

1 Like

Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 19, 2015
hardbody:

Understand my context. I am aware there is a plethora of case law on this point. I am only following the argument you led when you talked about her proving her case with a ring supposedly bought by the guy in question. I said an argument placed on that plank will be dismantled without much ado.

My earlier submission was based on jurisdictional competence. The matter will eventually be delivered on preponderance of evidence.

Gbam @bolded! Isn't it easy for a lady to buy a ring and claim it was the guy that gave it to her. If that were to be all that was needed the law would descend into absurdity.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by urchbarbie(f): 9:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
adeaks:

You are analysing this issue from an emotional angle rather the strict angle of the law as a lawyer.

Now, cohabitation raises a presumption of marriage under common law....accepted. But that means the action she would file in court would not be a "breach of promise to marry". Rather she would simply lead evidence, invoke and rely on the presumption of marriage and then pray that the court should compel him to pay her maintenance as her husband.

But for a B.o.p.m, she is saying that there is no marriage between them because he promised to marry her but reneged on his promise. You can not approbate and reprobate at the same time in law. It is either she is asking for damages based on b.o.p.m or she is asking for maintenance as his wife under common law. She can't ask for the two at once.
emotional u say? ok. I agree. whichever way she comes, she still gets some form of compensation right?
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by urchbarbie(f): 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
Rexology:

My dear, there is no established contract in this case.
For anything to be termed a 'contract',it must have these features:
1.Offer
2.Acceptance
3.Consideration.
so what is 'will u marry me?' grin
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by emmatok(m): 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:

LOL,

The lady is on her own since no contract is binding them together.

She might be lucky to get something for child upkeep if the baby belongs to the man.
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Deejavuu(f): 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
Truckpusher:
Hehe - come take me now or never . tongue

I be bad market, abi? cheesy

Your answer is in your question.. tongue
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
urchbarbie:
at the end what will she gain? definitely not the marriage she had been yearning for, the guy can tarnish what's left of her personality, she might get Lil change and stuff, shiiiiii the only reasonable thing she might get is for that punkass mofo to come and take part of the responsibility of their pregnancy and thang. the deed is done
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Emilord(m): 9:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
FynBabe:
My concern is not about the marriage but the fact that he would be compelled to take resposibility to a certain extent.
I like that the woman will not go through this alone.
yeah! I think I understand your point. The man didn't behaved honourably though,but I still blame the lady for letting her self to be heavy. She should have applied little tact until the promise is fulfilled. No thanks to the man tho
Re: Woman Drags Boyfriend To Court For Dumping Her After Marriage Promises by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 19, 2015
Id was like this Tuface would have had an apartment in every court as a case study now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Two Years Old Boy Trapped In 330ft Deep Hole For One Week In Spain(Photos) / Ladies Do You Remember This Doll? / Man Who Married Sister In Anambra Undergoes Spiritual Cleansing With 7 Virgins

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.