Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,659 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent (29444 Views)

Fiance Of Fulani Siddika Sanusi, Emir Sanusi's Daughter, Pictured / African Americans Of Partly Hausa Descent / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Omarbah: 5:50am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Lol I understand, he is not from the area. If he repeats the stuff about bloodline in front of an old Torodo!
Toucouleurs are crazy!
Do you know they were one of the reasons of the birth of Mauritania as a country?
No I didnt. I know black people have trouble getting their voices heard there.
I remember during Souleymane Baal era, they did put the border between them and the Berbers at the river. Is there any other story?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:07am On Jun 27, 2015
Omarbah:

No I didnt. I know black people have trouble getting their voices heard there.
I remember during Souleymane Baal era, they did put the border between them and the Berbers at the river. Is there any other story?

Actually technically Senegal doesn't stop at the river. It goes way beyond, the Wolof Walo kingdom and the Futa kingdom exist in both countries. Some say that Senegal border is about 100 km or more beyond the river.
As you may know Saint Louis was until the independences the capital of Senegal and mauritania. The story says that after independences Hassan 2 proposed to Senghor a division of Mauritania because technically it never existed as a country or even as a solid kingdom before colonisation.
The southern part of the country will belong to senegal, and up north would be part of morrocco. Morrocco would then avoid the problems its experiencing with the polisario and will have a much larger and unified territory, because the southern morroccans and the mauritanian moors are the same population. And Senegal would have the control of the river and a much larger territory, added to the fact that populations are the same from both sides of the river.
Senghor refused. Some said that he wasn't to pleased at the idea to have a neighbour as powerful as morroco, another fact was he was affraid of the power that differents groups such as the moors could have.
He was specialy afraid of toucouleur (not fulbe) revendications. He was aware of the toucouleur mentality and adding that part of mauritania would create a bigger toucouleur population with their intellectuals and marabouts etc. That power they could have would be then dangerous for him (I guess they could choose to support mamadou dia instead).
I used to criticize his choice (I still do). But seing the recrudescence of terrorism in the region, I sometimes think that it was not that bas as a choice.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Omarbah: 6:21am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Actually technically Senegal dosen't stop at the river. It goes way beyond, the Wolof Walo kingdom and the Futa kingdom exist in both countries. Some say that Senegal border is about 100 km or more beyond the river.
As you may know Saint Louis was until the independences the capital of Senegal and mauritania. The story says that after independences Hassan 2 proposed to Senghor a division of Mauritania because technically it never existed as a country or even as a solid kingdom before colonisation.
The southern part of the country will belong to senegal, and up north would be part of morrocco. Morrocco would then avoid the problems its experiencing with the polisario and will have a much larger and unified territory, because the southern morroccans and the mauritanian moors are the same population. And Senegal would have the control of the river and a much larger territory, added to the fact that populations are the same from both sides of the river.
Senghor refused. Some said that he wasn't to pleased at the idea to have a neighbour as powerful as morroco, another fact was he was affraid of the power that differents groups such as the moors could have.
He was specialy afraid of toucouleur (not fulbe) revendications. He was aware of the toucouleur mentality and adding that part of mauritania would create a bigger toucouleur population with their intellectuals and marabouts etc. That power they could have would be then dangerous for him (I guess they could choose to support mamadou dia instead).
I used to criticize his choice (I still do). But seing the recrudescence of terrorism in the region, I sometimes think that it was not that bas as a choice.
It was a mistake on his part seeing what is happenning to black people in Mauritania today. Plus he was just afraid of Dia since the clerics supported Senghor instead of him when they had a fall out. Clerics decided to go with their interests instead of those of the Senegalese population. Dia just wanted an economy based on production, but thats another story.
Senghor was too much of a white person to me. I am sorry for saying this but he was a ture "oreo".

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:30am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Takamba is a traditional songhai and tamachek music from north mali. The name just crossed my mind, plus I like the music smiley
No guineans are not called niak, but I've heard other names. Overall I cannot speak for everyone, but there are mitigated feelings about them.
Senegalese appreciate guineans because they are hard working (they don't beg), unlike other nationalities.

Takamba is a dance created by Songhai/Zarma not only in North Mali, but in Niger and Nigeria (where there is Songhai/Zarma as well).
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:31am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Seyno allah Mougn is the title of the movie... What does mougn means? Are these people bororo? Nice language though, I like the music at the beginning

It is spelled incorrectly it means almightly. They are settled Mbororo'en if that says anything.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:31am On Jun 27, 2015
Omarbah:

It was a mistake on his part seeing what is happenning to black people in Mauritania today. Plus he was just afraid of Dia since the clerics supported Senghor instead of him when they had a fall out. Clerics decided to go with their interests instead of those of the Senegalese population. Dia just wanted an economy based on production, but thats another story.
Senghor was too much of a white person to me. I am sorry for saying this but he was a ture "oreo".

Yeah he really wasn't the best choice as a president for 20 years. I think Senegal would have in a better place today if he did just 10 years and if Dia did the other 10 years. He wasn't revolutionary enough. That's sad

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:33am On Jun 27, 2015
Here is an example Takamba dance from Niger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjxmqBYxYw

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:35am On Jun 27, 2015
Brief discussion of l'histoire de Takamba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIN281s3yw

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:37am On Jun 27, 2015
Sonrai danse Takamba:

Voici la danse de Takamba. Cette vieux danse est d'origin Sonrai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1LuGQPPCw

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:38am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

Takamba is a dance created by Songhai/Zarma not only in North Mali, but in Niger and Nigeria (where there is Songhai/Zarma as well).

Oh yeah in Niger too. There are songhai in Nigeria, never knew. I know the songhai zarma as a group, I guess there are zarma in nigeria. Nice
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:39am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

It is spelled incorrectly it means almightly. They are settled Mbororo'en if that says anything.

Oh ok, nice movie, I'll watch it. But I won't understand lol

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:40am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Oh yeah in Niger too. There are songhai in Nigeria, never knew. I know the songhai zarma as a group, I guess there are zarma in nigeria. Nice

Zarma are Sonrai on the other side of la fleuve Niger (Niger River) the dialect is different a bit from the Songhai spoken in Gao, Mali. I have some Zarma friends. They can understand some Malian Sonrai but not completely.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:40am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:
Sonrai danse Takamba:

Voici la danse de Takamba. Cette vieux danse est d'origin Sonrai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1LuGQPPCw

Hii super onze de Gao, I used to watch their videos on ortm and africable sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:41am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Oh ok, nice movie, I'll watch it. But I won't understand lol

Time for you to get a Fulani boyfriend. Let me know after Ramadan when I should come over (Royal is going to kill me)

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:41am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

Zarma are Sonrai on the other side of la fleuve Niger (Niger River) the dialect is different a bit from the Songhai spoken in Gao, Mali. I have some Zarma friends. They can understand some Malian Sonrai but not completely.

Yeah I know some zarma too from Niger, I used to go to school with a really nice girl from Niger, she was Zarma.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:43am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

Yeah I know some zarma too from Niger, I used to go to school with a really nice girl from Niger, she was Zarma.

God bless the great region of West Africa Walahi!!!

@OmarBah, Noy sumaaye jam?

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:43am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

Time for you to get a Fulani boyfriend. Let me know after Ramadan when I should come over (Royal is going to kill me)

grin you're crazy.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:46am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

grin you're crazy.

that I am, OmarBah is constantly shaking his head and my disgraceful online behaviour. I'm not like this in real life though, I'm actually very shy.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:47am On Jun 27, 2015
Eyyo OmarBah, mi yi'i ma bandiraawo! Useni, warti

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Takamba: 6:49am On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

that I am, OmarBah is constantly shaking his head and my disgraceful online behaviour. I'm not like this in real life though, I'm actually very shy.

You're also a very respectful and correct person from your contributions online. I like your reserve, men should be respectful to women and not talk anyhow.
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:53am On Jun 27, 2015
Takamba:

You're also a very respectful and correct person from your contributions online. I like your reserve, men should be respectful to women and not talk anyhow.

I thank you and I agree with you, women deserve respect. I was raised to always respect women and I cherish African women. I will never disrespect the women who work so hard to be the great mothers and wives they are. I really love the African woman.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Omarbah: 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

God bless the great region of West Africa Walahi!!!

@OmarBah, Noy sumaaye jam?
Al Hamdulilihai dendiraawo, Sumaaye no e jam.
Ramadan Mubarak. Yo Allah Yaafo en, ja6a sumaaye men on.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by HalimaSadiya(f): 5:18pm On Jun 27, 2015
Fulaman198:

smiley)

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:00pm On Jun 27, 2015
Omarbah:

Al Hamdulilihai dendiraawo, Sumaaye no e jam.
Ramadan Mubarak. Yo Allah Yaafo en, ja6a sumaaye men on.

Ameen
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 7:01pm On Jun 27, 2015
HalimaSadiya:
smiley)

Hello Halima smiley, how are you doing?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by BahPulo(f): 4:21am On Jun 28, 2015
Omarbah:

Takamba( what does the name mean, I like it).
Sister, how do Senegalese feel about Guinea Fulbe? Unlike other foreigners, we are not called "Gnak" but is there any form of resentment?

Yes there is they call us 'nderhingue' mostly coming from the wolof though. I considered myself most of my life Senegalese, but when I went to Guinea for the first time I changed to being guinean grin and on top of that I married a Guinean poulo. so I started speaking poular more. being around the culture made me feel belonging for the first time and I liked. I don't even carry my Senegalese passport anymore. My father was one of those forced to leave during the reign of Sekou Toure. Don't get me wrong Senegal has been good to him and his family. My friends whom I went to school with just don't get this change of identification to them I am as senegalese as they are. But I love this feeling of not being a guess smiley. I am very pro fulani. I can be respectful to anyone but the moment I sense you have this hatred toward my people you will loose me for good.

As for the Gnak word I hate it!! I don't hesitate to call anyone around me who uses it. there is just this arrogance about saying the word that irk me the wrong way. My school had many camerounais expats, I thought them the nicest of people i just can't tolerate this word.

2 Likes

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Omarbah: 6:13am On Jun 28, 2015
BahPulo:

Yes there is they call us 'nderhingue' mostly coming from the wolof though. I considered myself most of my life Senegalese, but when I went to Guinea for the first time I changed to being guinean grin and on top of that I married a Guinean poulo. so I started speaking poular more. being around the culture made me feel belonging for the first time and I liked. I don't even carry my Senegalese passport anymore. My father was one of those forced to leave during the reign of Sekou Toure. Don't get me wrong Senegal has been good to him and his family. My friends whom I went to school with just don't get this change of identification to them I am as senegalese as they are. But I love this feeling of not being a guess smiley. I am very pro fulani. I can be respectful to anyone but the moment I sense you have this hatred toward my people you will loose me for good.

As for the Gnak word I hate it!! I don't hesitate to call anyone around me who uses it. there is just this arrogance about saying the word that irk me the wrong way. My school had many camerounais expats, I thought them the nicest of people i just can't tolerate this word.
What does "nderhingue" mean ?
Long time no see sister. No Sumaaye wadhou ma?

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Fulaman198(m): 6:19am On Jun 28, 2015
@OmarBah she must be a part of Koreeji ma (distant relative). Same "Bah" name.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by HalimaSadiya(f): 5:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
Fulaman198:

Hello Halima smiley, how are you doing?
Lafiya Alhamdulillah, yakake ?
Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by gatiano(m): 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
Black people come in all shades of black hue, There are black black, jet black, black orange, black purple, black brown etc. And we all come in varieties of hair texture ranging from the kinky hair to the curly and the almost straight and thick hair. Pointed noses and thin lips is not limited to the eastern black people, I have seen a lot of togo/cotonou yoruba people with thin lips and in Nigeria too. That is what makes Black special, Our different looks, It never brought discrimination amongst at all, because we always worshipped the similarity amongst us.

Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo and many African tribe share the same creation myths, but in different construct. Only there is something wrong with the Hausa(i'm sorry, I'm not rude). Hausa is among the few African tribes that have a seperate pronouns between male and female, and their creation myths happens to have been missing.

All I see is Black people, I only know up to about 4th generation before me are of the south-west, before that/them, I must have been an Igbo, Fulani, Hausa, Ijo, Hutsi, Dogon, Zulu etc, who knows.

1 Like

Re: Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 29, 2015
gatiano:
Black people come in all shades of black hue, There are black black, jet black, black orange, black purple, black brown etc. And we all come in varieties of hair texture ranging from the kinky hair to the curly and the almost straight and thick hair. Pointed noses and thin lips is not limited to the eastern black people, I have seen a lot of togo/cotonou yoruba people with thin lips and in Nigeria too. That is what makes Black special, Our different looks, It never brought discrimination amongst at all, because we always worshipped the similarity amongst us.

Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo and many African tribe share the same creation myths, but in different construct. Only there is something wrong with the Hausa(i'm sorry, I'm not rude). Hausa is among the few African tribes that have a seperate pronouns between male and female, and their creation myths happens to have been missing.

All I see is Black people, I only know up to about 4th generation before me are of the south-west, before that/them, I must have been an Igbo, Fulani, Hausa, Ijo, Hutsi, Dogon, Zulu etc, who knows.

If you know yOur family to the 4th generation before you then it's unlikely you have hausa blood in you. It's unlikely the hausas have had any contact with the southern part of nigeria, before recent times maybe Fulbe because they're nomadic may have ventured into your lands but I doubt that as well. Rest assured, you're a true Yoruba man. And whats your point about the hausa creation theory or lack of there of, and what's the fulbe (fulani) creation theory?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Origin Of The Name Yoruba / The Story Of The Legendary Farmer Turned Warrior, Lisabi / Ooni Inaugurates National Orisa Day In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.