Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Origin Of The Name Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Yoruba (29419 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
Yoruba is the name by which the south-western people of Nigeria and her Diaspora are known. This effort is an attempt at getting to the root of the eponymous name ‘Yoruba’. What could this ancient word mean?

The fact that the term ‘Yoruba’ has not really been studied in order to be decrypted shows that perhaps, less is gong on as research geared towards understanding the checkered Yoruba history at this era in time.

The onus lies on us to investigate as deeply as possible the meaning of the mysterious name Yoruba so as to learn from its secrets. This present title is the most recent effort at understanding Yoruba history from new breed of writers.

Tan mo o?
ko wa so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by TonySpike: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
I have two suggestions:

YORUBA could be the corruption of the word EUROPA. Thanks to metaphysical.

Secondly, YORUBA could be related to the combination of the word ORU and BA. In ancient Egypt, ORU Is the chief deity known as HORUS and BA meant HEAD. So, Yoruba could mean "Head of Horus".

Suggestions are welcome!

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
TonySpike:
I have two suggestions:

Secondly, YORUBA could be related to the combination of the word ORU and BA. In ancient Egypt, ORU Is the chief deity known as HORUS and BA meant HEAD. So, Yoruba could mean "Head of Horus".

Suggestions are welcome!

Very many thanks Tony Spike, it's been a long time. Perhaps good times are here again.

I can only hope Metaphysical come on the board to share his findings after many days.

I'm not too keen on the the Egyptian theory of the Yoruba origin, but the going will soon get tough as usual.

Lets keep moving as we await other learned men of the forum to come along. Maybe we will have more insight to ponder upon.

Meanwhile I picked one up from a thread somewhere where Rosike allude to Euroba as where there is no sun or sunset. He said this has

its origin among the Akkadians, who sees the west as Erebu. Maybe from this Europe was born. However, the Greeks have Europa, a daughter of the king of tyre and the lover of Zeus.

On the Akkadian version now: that word has some sort of Yoruba orientation, E re bu, it goes to the horizon. Ibu is the opposite of Oro. Ibu is

frontal view while oro is upward view of a plain or measurements in Yoruba.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by davdandam(m): 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
To be unbiased, the word 'Yoruba' has its etymology in the Hausa language. It means people under the Oyo imperial lands.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2014
meanwhile there is lead to that metaphisical's opinion.

Euroba is a moon goddess of some sort to the Semites.

"There is likewise in Phœnicia a temple of great size owned by the Sidonians. They call it the temple of Astarte. I hold this Astarte to be no other than the moon-goddess. But according to the story of one of the priests this temple is sacred to Europa, the sister of Cadmus.

She was the daughter of Agenor, and on her disappearance from Earth the Phœnicians honoured her with a temple and told a sacred legend about her; how that Zeus was enamoured of her for her beauty, and changing his form into that of a bull carried her off into Crete.

This legend I heard from other Phœnicians as well; and the coinage current among the Sidonians bears upon it the effigy of Europa sitting upon a bull, none other than Zeus. Thus they do not agree that the temple in question is sacred to Europa."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28mythology%29

The Yoruba are close kin of the Phoenicians and the Greeks and the Egyptians, they have lived in proximity with these people in the past before their migration. As such, Egypt and Greek as place names has fossilized in Yoruba language till date.

Daughter of Agenor?

Ajanor, Aje-nor that word means wayfarer in Yoruba. It is easy to understand the fact that most of these ancient people have common heroes and do a lot in common, so part of their stories are meshed with what becomes "our traditions" as time went by.

Also in the wiki piece above, it is said that Europa disappeared to Crete with Zeus.

The point is, Europa may be a facsimile of Yoruba migration celebrated in the oral tradition of the land after migration, which then is anachronistically absorbed into the legends of the gods and Zeus centuries after the event.

To me however, Yoruba is a name of a historic matriarch.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by tpia6: 1:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
Singing

I know what you're doing

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 1:24pm On Nov 01, 2014
Chiwude:
To be unbiased, the word 'Yoruba' has its etymology in the Hausa language. It means people under the Oyo imperial lands.
The Yoruba are close kin of the Hausa at some remote age, so the name Yoruba was not Hausa invention but a Yoruba memorable word that has fell to disuse long ago among the Yorubas as the peoples population increases and cities were built. But the name had stuck with the Hausas as the identity of the southern people. At the advent of colonialism, the name Yoruba resurfaced to replaced other Yoruba's trial-names.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 1:45pm On Nov 01, 2014
tpia6:
Singing

I know what you're doing
Want to see some Yoruba stuffs on frontpage for weekend feeds. Its now you know. grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
TonySpike:
I have two suggestions:

Suggestions are welcome!

bullshyt

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 01, 2014
I believe the fact that the OP created a thread (a type that has not been common lately) that seeks to make people ponder their root(s) is a highly honourable thing to do, I'd have to be forgiven to state that, ascribing Yoruba as a derivative from Greek, Roman/European, Egyptian is completely baseless; it appalls the mind rather than appeal to it.

My reasons for the dissenting opinion towards the path towards shaving through this topic include:

- The origin of the word lies in Hausa language (culture/tradition). Hausa language and its detivatives should be properly dissected for a meaning or closely related meaning. (While keeping the diplomatic or war relations between Hausa and Yoruba of that period in mind).

- It should also be kept in mind that Yoruba as a descriptive term (of that period) was solely intended to distinguish, class or refer to Oyo kingdom in Old Oyo empire which Hausa called 'Katunga'. Let's focus on Oyo empire and her interaction with Hausa lingdoms.

- Lastly, Yoruba towns (apart from selective few) are said, mostly verified by historical research, to have sprouted from Ile-Ife. Hence, while doing a rendition of Yoruba as a term, let's not make it seem like the group existed somewhere in Egypt or Afro-Asia region or wherever.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by TonySpike: 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2014
Thanks, 9jacrip. More opinion should keep on coming...
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 3:25pm On Nov 01, 2014
I understand your sentiment 9jacrip. How can we have Ife and some folks will still look about to AfroAsia? You are making a rule but breaking the rule: is it a must that Yoruba comes from AfroAsia, is it a must that Yoruba comes from Ile-Ife? The point is, both tradition were sourced from the same matrix. Trying to silence one only to announce the other is creating imbalance, meaning Yoruba (did not) originate at both places. The elites gave us both origin. Now what was the name of the empire of Ile-Ife that the name Yoruba overshadowed when it became Yoruba identity in the 1830s? It is only something that does not exist that has no name.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2014
2prexios:
I understand your sentiment 9jacrip. How can we have Ife and some folks will still look about to AfroAsia? You are making a rule but breaking the rule: is it a must that Yoruba comes from AfroAsia, is it a must that Yoruba comes from Ile-Ife? The point is, both tradition were sourced from the same matrix. Trying to silence one only to announce the other is creating imbalance, meaning Yoruba (did not) originate at both places. The elites gave us both origin. Now what was the name of the empire of Ile-Ife that the name Yoruba overshadowed when it became Yoruba identity in the 1830s? It is only something that does not exist that has no name.

Sir, I appreciate your time, input and patience but I need you to try and understand me.

My standpoint is not to shout one theory down in order to prop up the other. Rather, I am only interested in the most plausible and logical argument(s) which Egypt theory falls into considering the migration to sub-sahara due to desertification theory.

I don't quite get what you meant by 'elite' in the conext of your post but the Afro-Asia and Ife vpoints are worlds apart. One has verifiable facts encoded in the socio-political, socio-cultural, political economic and even socio economic systems while the other appears as mere fantasy and even suspect to being a means of proliferation of religion proselytization by drawing fraudulent relations between culture histories and source of Abrahamic religions.

A thorough study in Hausa language and its derivatives while considering a carefuly analysis of the relationship between Oyo (the actual Yoruba in this context) and the Hausa.

In one of your posts, you posited that Yoruba was the original name of the ethnic group in discussion and the Hausa only revived it. Can we apply this to Katunga as well to mean the original name for old Oyo and was merely revived?

Let us not make ourselves a laughing stock for other groups, let us not water-down our cultural history by making it offshoots of entirely different one that may not have recorded major feats up to par with what we have.

TonySpike:
Thanks, 9jacrip. More opinion should keep on coming...

Tony baba, I hope you got my point, no knowledge or input is a waste sir, I just fear how unrealistic, uninteresting and un-scholarly it would appear if we tow the Afro-Asiatic line which may appeal to our minds due to word similarities etc but not necessarily give us any headway except corroborated in records of the Afro-Asians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Funjosh(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
Welcome back bro, you have been away for sometimes now

PAGAN9JA:

bullshyt
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by dridowu: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2014
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Funjosh(m): 6:47pm On Nov 01, 2014
If only we can consult an oracle lipsrsealed
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
9jacrip:

Sir, I appreciate your time, input and patience but I need you to try and understand me.

My standpoint is not to shout one theory down in order to prop up the other. Rather, I am only interested in the most plausible and logical argument(s) which Egypt theory falls into considering the migration to sub-sahara due to desertification theory.

I don't quite get what you meant by 'elite' in the conext of your post but the Afro-Asia and Ife vpoints are worlds apart. One has verifiable facts encoded in the socio-political, socio-cultural, political economic and even socio economic systems while the other appears as mere fantasy and even suspect to being a means of proliferation of religion proselytization by drawing fraudulent relations between culture histories and source of Abrahamic religions.

A thorough study in Hausa language and its derivatives while considering a carefuly analysis of the relationship between Oyo (the actual Yoruba in this context) and the Hausa.

In one of your posts, you posited that Yoruba was the original name of the ethnic group in discussion and the Hausa only revived it. Can we apply this to Katunga as well to mean the original name for old Oyo and was merely revived?

Let us not make ourselves a laughing stock for other groups, let us not water-down our cultural history by making it offshoots of entirely different one that may not have recorded major feats up to par with what we have.

Tony baba, I hope you got my point, no knowledge or input is a waste sir, I just fear how unrealistic, uninteresting and un-scholarly it would appear if we tow the Afro-Asiatic line which may appeal to our minds due to word similarities etc but not necessarily give us any headway except corroborated in records of the Afro-Asians.

Hey 9jacrip, pardon my excesses please.

I think with the bolded, the limit to which we can go is set, lest we engage in unscholarly and unrealistic and uninteresting line of thought that may not give us any headway. Who am I to object? I believe in you, sir.

I also believe that looking to where some of us are not comfortable with is scholarly aberration, and that the masters who choose what is pleasant must be pleased. They are right on arrival. Having dissent view is appalling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
2prexios:

[/b]

Hey 9jacrip, pardon my excesses please.

I think with the bolded, the limit to which we can go is set, lest we engage in unscholarly and unrealistic and uninteresting line of thought that may not give us any headway. Who am I to object? I believe in you, sir.

I also believe that looking to where some of us are not comfortable with is scholarly aberration, and that the masters who choose what is pleasant must be pleased. They are right on arrival. Having dissent view is appalling.

At the emboldened sir, no no.

All I said are my own thoughts sha.

E ma binu simi sir.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
9jacrip:

At the emboldened sir, no no.

All I said are my own thoughts sha.

E ma binu simi sir.

Iba o iba.

Omode gbon agba gbon lafi dale ife.

Abo oro laa so f'omoluabi, to ba denu e a d'odidi
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by tpia6: 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
9jacrip:
I believe the fact that the OP created a thread (a type that has not been common lately) .

with this boldfaced lie, you expect to be taken seriously. Ok then.

the op created a thread- he commonly does so.

the type of thread:what other types of thread does he usually open?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 01, 2014
tpia6:

with this boldfaced lie, you expect to be taken seriously. Ok then.

the op created a thread- he commonly does so.

the type of thread:what other types of thread does he usually open?

Ever since the exit or lowkey-ing of notable folks who enjoy discussing Yoruba history (folks on here and yourself inclusive) we have not had much debates that helps stimulate the mind as well as arouse the love for our history. In a long time, I have not seen a thread bordering on Yoruba history no matter who opened it and what the person's motive might be.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by StarFlux: 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2014
O ye mi o.

I do wonder. I admit I don't have much knowledge on the subject. It is however, quite interesting that the word follows the usual word pattern, i.e CVCVCV. I wonder if it has been altered or adjusted to fit, or if it is indeed unaltered.

Ronu, ronu.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 2:00am On Nov 02, 2014
Funjosh:
If only we can consult an oracle lipsrsealed
for real I don't know the Origin of the world ''Yoruba'' but I read it was Hausa folks that tagged us that way while some neighbour of ours were tagged ''Baruba'' .....

As for Oracle, it will point us there but only few if not non awo would decipher the ''ohun Ifa'' !!

Whatever sha , Kokan-Aye !!
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 2:08pm On Nov 02, 2014
donroxy:
for real I don't know the Origin of the world ''Yoruba'' but I read it was Hausa folks that tagged us that way while some neighbour of ours were tagged ''Baruba'' .....

As for Oracle, it will point us there but only few if not non awo would decipher the ''ohun Ifa'' !!

Whatever sha , Kokan-Aye !!
Lets pay attention to this, our neighbour were called Baruba and we, Yoruba: all the people involve have ba as prefix for father while Ye is Yoruba prefix for mother. The Yoruba have Yaba, Ayaba and Yewa as their own lexicon, inbetween these titles lies the root of the word Yoruba. Hausa version, Yarba is akin to Yoruba's Yaba, a place name.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2014
No one has been able to tell us the meaning of "yoruba"
Is it that it has no meaning or what?

For all we know "yoruba" might be an ancient cuss word (just kidding grin)

That's why I prefer being referred to as a Nigerian rather than a Yoruba
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 3:43pm On Nov 02, 2014
Mizchief:
No one has been able to tell us the meaning of "yoruba"
Is it that it has no meaning or what?

For all we know "yoruba" might be an ancient cuss word (just kidding grin)

That's why I prefer being referred to as a Nigerian rather than a Yoruba
Sounds like the position of Femi Fani-Kayode in his article, titled 'who are the Yorubas' 3.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
2prexios:
Sounds like the position of Femi Fani-Kayode in his article, titled 'who are the Yorubas' 3.
Exactly grin
That post of mine was inspired by Ogbeni Femi
Na remix I do cheesy

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by macof(m): 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
Chiwude:

Exactly! This is wat it is. It's nt a Yoruba word per se...but a corruption of a Hausa word like Katunga is Hausa for Oyo's capital city
Kanuri also have a name for the Yorubas similar to that

I think If anyone here knows Hausa language u could decrypt the name maybe pagan 9ja can do that
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 4:42am On Nov 07, 2014
Yon-Orun-Oba = YoRuBa:

Yo: Chosen
Ru: Heaven
Ba : King

Yoruba's came from Heaven with Kingship and introduced it to the world. Yoruba simply means The Chosen King From Heaven.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by birdman(m): 5:34am On Nov 07, 2014
2prexios:

Abo oro laa so f'omoluabi, to ba denu e a d'odidi

o mean e grin? subscribing.

based on the fact that this is still on page one, i think a lot of the cultural heavyweights are now off nairaland
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 5:49am On Nov 07, 2014
This tallies 75% with what I have. @peterkbaba, good that we can look up to indeginous lingua symphony for an etymology of our ethnic name. One of the ruling house of Ado is Idobarun (Ido Oba Orun: camp of the king from heaven). Their quarter is called Oloparun, 'the terminators' so to say. Orun can be heaven or hell. The last king is from here, untij the Ados revolted against him. At Ife we have Orun Oba Ado: just compare the contrast, don't punch. Also at Ota, you have a quarter called Oruba. These words coaligate. But on coming from heaven to introduce kingship to the world , I have not come across any indeginous thougth like it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification / Who Is A Woman? (understanding The Nature Of Women)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.