Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,398 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 (1554 Views)

Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos) / Will You Buy This 1980 BMW M1 For N275million? (photos) / All New BMW X3 Unveiled And You'll Definitely Love It (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by 5minsmadness: 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
I recently acquired a BMW 1999 model (3 series) and am trying to put it in shape. The engine is strong but the gear is a nightmare. Changing gears is virtually impossible although it sometimes falls into gear 1 if coaxed properly.

Pls does anyone have any idea how much a new/Belgium gear will cost and where I can get one?
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by Nobody: 2:34am On Jun 21, 2015
5minsmadness:
I recently acquired a BMW 1999 model (3 series) and am trying to put it in shape. The engine is strong but the gear is a nightmare. Changing gears is virtually impossible although it sometimes falls into gear 1 if coaxed properly.

Pls does anyone have any idea how much a new/Belgium gear will cost and where I can get one?

What's the engine size??
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by fashrola(m): 10:38am On Jun 21, 2015
Siena:

What's the engine size??

I'm having the same issue with my BMW 1999 3 series it's a 1.9L 4-cyl. engineĀ 

When the engine is switched on, it makes an annoying sound until the clutch is pressed down, sometimes when you engage it to gear 1 it returns till you engage it back again...sometimes I use gear 2 for moving the car from its stationary state....

And another stuff with the car is the steering wheel, I wanted to align the steering wheel cos it's not really straight... but some mechanics are finding it difficult to pull the steering wheel out...

Please any solutions?
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by 5minsmadness: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2015
Siena:

What's the engine size??
1.9L, 4 cylinder.

Fashrola has described my problem perfectly except for the alignment issue. Pls help.
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by edward1984(m): 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

1.9L, 4 cylinder.

Fashrola has described my problem perfectly except for the alignment issue. Pls help.

Do you want one from Germany?
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by 5minsmadness: 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
edward1984:

Do you want one from Germany?
Bros make I know the price first Biko. Whether from germany or mbuka as long as it works well.
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by edward1984(m): 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

Bros make I know the price first Biko. Whether from germany or mbuka as long as it works well.

If it's cheaper for you to find down there in Nigeria, why not,, am just saying maybe I could help get you a better product, Only if you are interested,, There is an expression " you pay for what you get "
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by 5minsmadness: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
edward1984:

If it's cheaper for you to find down there in Nigeria, why not,, am just saying maybe I could help get you a better product, Only if you are interested,, There is an expression " you pay for what you get "
Kk if you have a channel for it to be shipped down let me know and the cost.
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by edward1984(m): 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

Kk if you have a channel for it to be shipped down let me know and the cost.

Ok I will get in touch with you when I find something ship and good... BMW 3 SERIES,,, 1.9 ,, 1999 MODEL ?
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by 5minsmadness: 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Yep. Thanks.
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by fashrola(m): 9:16am On Jun 23, 2015
5minsmadness:

1.9L, 4 cylinder.

Oga siena undecided
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2015
fashrola:

I'm having the same issue with my BMW 1999 3 series it's a 1.9L 4-cyl. engineĀ 

When the engine is switched on, it makes an annoying sound until the clutch is pressed down, sometimes when you engage it to gear 1 it returns till you engage it back again...sometimes I use gear 2 for moving the car from its stationary state....

And another stuff with the car is the steering wheel, I wanted to align the steering wheel cos it's not really straight... but some mechanics are finding it difficult to pull the steering wheel out...

Please any solutions?

The noise you're experiencing sounds like a worn clutch release bearing. The noise is generally worse when the engine and transmission have warmed up. Like a rough, whirring sound. Depress the clutch, and it gets quieter.

Does this describe your symptoms? Remacement requires gearbox removal.

As for your misaligned steering wheel, you're driving straight, but the steering position is wrong. Straighten the wheel, then the car begins to deviate from the straight ahead position.

Is this correct?
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by fashrola(m): 4:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
Siena:

The noise you're experiencing sounds like a worn clutch release bearing. The noise is generally worse when the engine and transmission have warmed up. Like a rough, whirring sound. Depress the clutch, and it gets quieter.

Does this describe your symptoms? Remacement requires gearbox removal.

As for your misaligned steering wheel, you're driving straight, but the steering position is wrong. Straighten the wheel, then the car begins to deviate from the straight ahead position.

Is this correct?

Yeah when the engine is on, it makes a lot of noise till the clutch is depressed.... so I should change the clutch release bearing? As for the steering wheel it has been resolved...

Now there's another issue of overheating now, the radiator has been flushed yet it's still overheating... though the radiator fan blade is bad like four of it is broken can dis be cause? Cos when the ac is on... it stops overheating
Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
How was the steering wheel issue resolved?

Replace your cooling fan. Even 1 missing blade can cause your engine to run hotter, due to a reduction in drawn air volume.

1 Like

Re: How Much For Gearbox For BMW 3 Series 1999 by fashrola(m): 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2015
Siena:
How was the steering wheel issue resolved?

Replace your cooling fan. Even 1 missing blade can cause your engine to run hotter, due to a reduction in drawn air volume.

Since the steering wheel was proving difficult to pull out... the alignment guy went under the hood to set it from the steering rack I guess.....

Thx the overheating issues has been resolved.... I bought a new radiator cooling fan...

One more thing grin.... Anytime I try to turn the car maybe at the roundabout..... the back of car drifts like a racing car.... I dunno if it might be the tire or the back camber.....

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Convert A Right Hand Vehicle To Left Hand Drive In Lagos? / Check Out These Gyroscopic Transportation For The Future / How Important Is The Catalytic Converter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.