Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster (22118 Views)

Saraki Conducts HBP Test on Dino Melaye At Hospital Inauguration in Yobe (PICS) / Buratai Leads Soldiers On Routine Drills In Abuja (Photos) / Nigerian Army Conducts Successful Raid On Boko Haram Camps In Borno..photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by paulGrundy(m): 12:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:
You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??

So all the lagoons rivers in nigeria are what?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
ghostofsparta:
@ROSSIKE
Despite the status of India and Pakistan in a global hall of fame, how dare you compare Nigeria to them. Even Afghanistan is better than Africal most infernal zone 'Nigeria'.
What is special about those places, you dunce? They have serious power shortages, terrible roads, and huge slums filled with malnourished people. You couldn't spend two days in Afghanistan before begging to get your cretinous dumbass back to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Excellent7(m): 12:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
mightsparrow:
Will Nigeria be able to manage a nuclear reactor?? I had the privilege and opportunity to visit a nuclear power plant here in Europe and the technology i saw in the chambers made me to realize how far Africa is technologically. If Japan could barely manage their nuclear disaster, i wonder what will happen if Nigeria encounters such in future......Nuclear power no be child's play oo grin grin

Honestly, I think these guys do not realize the type of exacting technology for energy generation they are talking about and the potential risks involved. I have had the opportunity of a visit to a functioning nuclear reactor and believe me it is not a piece of cake. The engineering and management requirements for successful operation are exacting. Even the water quality requirements around the core and filtration system can not be compromised, and operation is continuos.

The only thing I have exposure to that is remotely close to it is running a steel plant, unfortunately we have not been successful in running our steel plants.
Secondly, on manpower, I do not think the government has invested in raising the requisite local manpower capable of nationalistic input in the choice, design, recruitment and running of the plant. When I talk of local manpower, I do not mean B Sc. and M.Sc holders that have not even seen a nuclear reactor, I mean guys who have seen, have touched, have done and can do.To the best of my knowledge, no Nigerian university has a functioning laboratory scale experimental reactor. The only one I heard of was the one Obasanjo regime released funds for at ABU around 1977. I guess the thing was not realized. Perhaps the funds entered voicemail.

Thirdly, is nuclear waste management. Nuclear waste is radioactive and hence toxic. You can not just dump it in the river, sea, or ground just like that. The waste can remain radioactive for 1000 years !!! Costly procedures are being used and tested.
In the light of these, I do not support the government dabbling into nuclear power. At the moment we do not have in place what it takes and there are far cheaper and safer options that can come on stream much faster. Take for instance solar energy. This should have been the first option at diversifying our energy sources as the country is basking in solar energy with year round sunlight of high quality.

However, if the government is insistent on following the nuclear energy route, my advice is that to do it well should involve at least a 10 year plan (I do not see this meeting immediate energy needs)

First 5 years (1st Phase): Immediate audit of local available technological manpower for nuclear plants available vis-a-vis the need. Set up training programmes internationally to meet the shortfall with emphasis on mastery and hands on experience. Upgrade available local manpower on hands on management of nuclear reactor (degrees are just not enough). While this is going on at least 2 universities should be tasked with acquisition and successful running of experimental nuclear reactors and nuclear sources for materials analysis and nuclear medicine applications (radio isotopes)

2nd 5 years (2nd Phase): With local manpower requirement and knowledge gap sorted out in phase 1, involve locals vigorously in the bidding, design,installation and test-running of the reactors to meet local considerations and peculiar needs. No copy and paste design without adequate modifications to meet local realities like MMIA At the end of this phase functional reactos should already be running.

No short cuts. Any knee jerk approach is most likely to go the way of our steel plants.
In fact with the way they are going, when they say nuclear plants, I read nuclear bombs !!
I surely do not want a Chernobyl in my backyard, and I guess no sane person does.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
oboman:

Inferiority complex? When does being realistic equal inferiority complex?
You then compare car production to nuclear power?

If maintenance of the nuclear reactors become compromised and there is radiation everywhere, would you want it in your villAge? In Nigeria, we sabotage almost anything and as I'm speaking now, wicked people are vandalising our pipelines, and we seem to do nothing about it.

All I'm saying is if we rectify some dangerous mindset that have set us aback for years, then we could embark on nuclear power.
I'm just a pragmatist!
Do you realise Nigeria has owned and safely operated nuclear reactors for the past 40 years? You people just open your mouths and garble rubbish because you are so ignorant and uninformed, with no interest in learning anything. Nuclear facilities are the world's most regulated infrastructure and must always pass stringent tests before they can even function, as per in-built mechanisms. Plus they are subjected by international law to the most stringent inspections and maintenance processes of any technology in existence. They are never just left to the host nation to operate as they see fit. You simply don't know what is involved. You just hear "nuclear" and you start screaming "yepa" like demented market women. I don't even know why the govt bothered informing you dunderheads about anything. They should have just kept it quiet and ignored their buffoonous populace.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by chinchum(m): 1:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
More lives are either ruined or dead from lack of power in the country than nuclear power plant failure will kill.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by PabloAfricanus(m): 2:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Do you realise Nigeria has owned and safely operated nuclear reactors for the past 40 years? You people just open your mouths and garble rubbish because you are so ignorant and uninformed, with no interest in learning anything. Nuclear facilities are the world's most regulated infrastructure and must always pass stringent tests before they can even function, as per in-built mechanisms. Plus they are subjected by international law to the most stringent inspections and maintenance processes of any technology in existence. They are never just left to the host nation to operate as they see fit. You simply don't know what is involved. You just hear "nuclear" and you start screaming "yepa" like demented market women. I don't even know why the govt bothered informing you dunderheads about anything. They should have just kept it quiet and ignored their buffoonous populace.

Dude please stop rooting for incompetence.
There is no point to prove...millions of lives are at stake here.
As much as I believe we have the potentials to excel in any pursuit...reality must be faced and squarely.
A cabal in high places that didn't allow NEPA to work, currently making sure the whole PHCN setup is a joke...will suddenly have a change of heart and forego their diesel profits to nuclear power?
Do you have any clue as to the organized vandalism of our gas pipelines...all to line the profits of some demented folks selling petrol and diesel?
Have you considered the ever present tribal sabotage syndrome?
A country that has never been able to run its economy on conventional power plants...suddenly wants to go nuclear?

Get a grip abeg. This is disaster waiting to happen!
Nigeria has no industrial experience with nuclear technology or manning such high precision facilities!
Coupled with our glaring lack of maintenance culture and lackadaisical attitude to performance management/quality control...you can't seriously be advocating building nuclear plants now!
You can be rest assured this will turn into another NNPC where emirs and generals will be sponsoring their candidates for jobs they can't handle.

You've not even addressed the hazards of radiation leakage and meltdowns.
Maybe some years ahead when we've improved our educational sector and built a little history of running power plants 24/7...till then we are not ready.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by toprealman: 4:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
ARE WE REALLY READY FOR THIS?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Cargoed: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
Rosotom will make all their money from building not running.
What is forcemajore in this project?

Can they tell us which of these natural disasters is due in Nigeria?

1) Tsunami 2) Equatorial sunflare radiation 3) Flooding. 4) Volcanic Eruption we are due every 1000yrs when was the last?
5) Earthquakes 6) Terrorism 7) Mudslides
cool Hurricanes Twisters Cyclones
9)God knows....

See Ebola is 100times better than a nuclear disaster. Even Isreal can return to their land after 100yrs. This one you can return after only after 20000yrs.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by PabloAfricanus(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cargoed:
Rosotom will make all their money from building not running.
What is forcemajore in this project?

Can they tell us which of these natural disasters is due in Nigeria?

1) Tsunami 2) Equatorial sunflare radiation 3) Flooding. 4) Volcanic Eruption we are due every 1000yrs when was the last?
5) Earthquakes 6) Terrorism 7) Mudslides
cool Hurricanes Twisters Cyclones
9)God knows....

See Ebola is 100times better than a nuclear disaster. Even Isreal can return to their land after 100yrs. This one you can return after only after 20000yrs.

This was the same argument that the kleptomaniacs and ignorant crammers you call Nigerian academics use to justify
all the white elephant projects of the past 50 years.
Are you serious?
An oil producing economy that runs on generators...wanting to go nuclear?
I'm aware that nuclear power generation is actually cheaper, safer and more effective than both coal and hydrothermal plants,
but DO WE HAVE A MAINTENANCE CULTURE?
In this year 2015, once a few drops of rain hits the ground, your PHCN presses the off button.
We have never been able to run any power plant successfully since independence.
We are still making headlines all over the world because of gas pipelines vandalization...that's one of the craziest stories of this
century! A people vandalizing their own gas pipelines!
Here you are calmly feigning ignorance as to the depth of our carelessness and disregard for quality and performance.
The funds for running that facility will go into private pockets. You know it and I know it.
The needed priority that we have not given to our general hospitals, is one we'll no magically start giving nuclear
facilities WE DID NOT BUILD?

You guys should better wake up from your delusion. It takes years of local training, research and experience
to handle nuclear technology. We all know we are not there yet.

We do not YET have the required level of EXPERIENCE AND R&grin CULTURE to manage nuclear facilities.
As experienced as Japan, the old Soviet Union were, check out the results of radiation leakages at
Iraq, Chernobyl and Fukushima.

SOURCES:
https://thefukushimaradiationtreereports./mutations-pics-and-vids/
http://himachalwatcher.com/2014/01/15/climate-change-energy-crisis-is-it-time-to-reconsider-nuclear-energy/
http://www.robertschoch.net/Radiation%20Fukushima%20Nuclear%20Mutation%20Radioctive%20Isotopes.htm
http://www.globalresearch.ca/science-with-a-skew-the-nuclear-power-industry-after-chernobyl-and-fukushima/28875

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Appleyard(m): 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
ransomed:
::--Simulation training does not prevent Nuclear disaster. Remember Chernoby? Say No to Nuke!

Yeah!cheesycheesy.. You sound scared..!
Well, honestly, you make sense, especially when you consider our government unenviable record in mismanagement. If they couldn't manage hydro-electrical generation, one wonder how they would cope with a Nuclear one. God help us. But lets be optimistic, cause there power in positivism. Nevertheless, such drills still goes along way in curtailing its effect, plus it create a sense of awareness and assurance.

And one undisputable fact is that we are living in a world of Nuclear Energy. But do you think we can still become self sufficient and constant on hydro generation? As for me, we have proven to be unreliable in that regard. So what do you think?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Appleyard(m): 6:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
paulGrundy:

So all the lagoons rivers in nigeria are what?

ask am!cheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ransomed: 11:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Appleyard:

Yeah!cheesycheesy.. You sound scared..!
Well, honestly, you make sense, especially when you consider our government unenviable record in mismanagement. If they couldn't manage hydro-electrical generation, one wonder how they would cope with a Nuclear one. God help us. But lets be optimistic, cause there power in positivism. Nevertheless, such drills still goes along way in curtailing its effect, plus it create a sense of awareness and assurance.

And one undisputable fact is that we are living in a world of Nuclear Energy. But do you think we can still become self sufficient and constant on hydro generation? As for me, we have proven to be unreliable in that regard. So what do you think?
::-- I see big alternative in solar. Say no to Nuke.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Appleyard(m): 9:52am On Jun 22, 2015
ransomed:
::-- I see big alternative in solar. Say no to Nuke.

Alright....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Dambazzau Stole And Spent NNPC Money - Sahara Reporters / Shettima Visits Saraki Over Ali Ndume's Suspension (Photos) / 2023 Presidency: Who Becomes APC’s Flagbearer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.