Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster (22119 Views)

Saraki Conducts HBP Test on Dino Melaye At Hospital Inauguration in Yobe (PICS) / Buratai Leads Soldiers On Routine Drills In Abuja (Photos) / Nigerian Army Conducts Successful Raid On Boko Haram Camps In Borno..photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by omojeesu(m): 11:56pm On Jun 20, 2015
Nuclear energy for a nation is a very risky venture anywhere in the world whether used for 'peaceful' means or not. The terrible risks are many. Even Japan had problems. With our level of inefficiency venturing into nuclear energy when we can't fix the refineries or electricity may be suicidal!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by omoiyalayi(m): 11:58pm On Jun 20, 2015
Humanbeing1st:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, SO u mean ITS MERE CIVIL DEFENSE DAT WANNA CURB NUCLEAR DISASTER IN NIGERIA? WAT A FUUCKKING COUNTRY DAT NIGERIA IS, OH! LESS I 4GET WAT PART OF D PLANET IS EVEN NIGERIA? A STATE IN WEST GERMANY? CUS WE DONT KNW DOSE SHITTY NAME HERE IN JUPITER.
re u 4 real
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 20, 2015
CFCfan:
I'd suggest that residential buildings shouldn't be allowed to spring up within 6-7 sq.km of the proposed nuclear power plants.
grin grin grin
A nuclear reactor disaster God forbid would blow radioactive element all over Nigeria and it's neighboring countries...
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by oshe11: 12:02am On Jun 21, 2015
kennygee:

Shey na those civil defense people with big belle them wan train for this one?
mayb dis was wat buhari signed wit d g7 witches, nt knwin dey wana use it to decrease our population to a million(if nt wipin every1)..... Kos it wud b hard to kontain d imminent disasta

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by MicroBox: 12:04am On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:
You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??
No be oyinbo people tell you like that ? it's same Oyinbo people that will be coming over to oversee the whole affair. so chill
South Africa, Iran, Germany, Russia Israel, Pakistan, India,china, Japan etc all have and depend on nuclear power plant. the more population, the more demand for energy and definitely a quest for cheapest, reliable and affordable would be an option which is nuclear power plant.
Alternative sources of energy which is mostly D.C. Current is very expensive to generate. talking of its storage and inverting it to give A.C. current is no joke.
Solar, wind whatever whatever are not an option.
It's easy to generate A.C. and then step it down.
@TEAMNUCLEARPOWER9JA

Less I forget ....please NAEA I still have my acknowledgement and reference number of 2011 recruitment for Nuclear Power which nothing is heard of till date. I am scanning it and forwarding it to the HR cause I must be among the first batch to go Russia for training. thanks in advance.. .....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 21, 2015
Bushari take dat useless project to your village abi land no dey there. Confused mallam

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 21, 2015
Why not solar, coal or wind generated energy ?

Why something as dangerous as nuclear generators?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 21, 2015
all4naija:

grin grin grin grin. I say let the nuclear plant be managed by developed nations like almighty USA, France and UK.

Go and bleach your mother white, so she can look like those from developed nations. That should ease your angst. Donkey.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by chubbygal(f): 12:31am On Jun 21, 2015
knightsTempler:
Hope we are save with this nuclear energy, am saying this b'cuz nuclear disaster is not something to play with.

Anyone still remember the Fukushima disaster of 2013, the Fukushima site remains highly radioactive, with some 160,000 evacuees still living in temporary housing, and some land will be unfarmable for centuries. The difficult cleanup job will take 40 or more years, and cost tens of billions of dollars.

Let's not even talk of Chernobyl disaster, it was one of the most devastating nuclear accident in the world.

Nigeria should thread carefully with this nuclear energy of a thing, Nigeria that can't even manage to maintain refinery is delving into nuclear energy.

They better be very well preparer for it.

You are very much on the track!!nuclear energy is not a child's PLAY.....meanwhile somewhere in Benin Edo state

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:32am On Jun 21, 2015
oboman:

It's not that 'nothing ' will satisfy Nigerians, people are just being realistic. There are very basic infrastructures we can't run effectively and some people are talking nuclear? ordinary waterworks, refineries, schools, roads, waste management, etc; we can't run efficiently and we jumping to nuclear power.

Nuclear power isn't complex to run once the initial structure is put in place, the complex bit is managing the waste and having a strong contingent plan for leakages or accidents. You need a new mindset, not this one we used to, that suffers from corruption, greed, selfishness, irrationality etc.

Japan, as wealthy, highly organised and efficient as they are struggled to contain the Fukushima leakages, we can't even run our general hospitals.

India and Pakistan have even more developmental problems than Nigeria, yet they are nuclear powers, so your argument is meaningless. This whole ''we are not up to it'' inferiority complex is one of our greatest weaknesses as a people. Innoson could easily have said ''there's power shortage, water shortage, poor security, poor infrastructure... how can I possibly set up a car production plant?'' which is what possibly 95% of Nigerians in his shoes would have said a couple of decades ago, before he went against that mentality and actually set up a car manufacturing plant which today employs over 10,000 people, and is one of our ringing successes.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:35am On Jun 21, 2015
ROSSIKE:

India and Pakistan have even more developmental problems than Nigeria, yet they are nuclear powers, so your argument is meaningless.

A nuclear leak is not the sort of problem that Nigeria should have.

I can imagine stupid vandals breaking into these facilities to make a point, only to cause downfall for Nigerians.

What is wrong with harnessing clean, renewable energy? Nigeria is a blank canvass as far as energy is concerned and would stand to gain from using alternative energy streams from the get go.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 21, 2015
totima:

I can imagine stupid vandals breaking into these facilities to make a point, only to cause downfall for Nigerias.

What is wrong with harnessing clean, renewable energy? Nigeria is a blank canvass as far as energy is concerned and would stand to gain from using alternative energy streams from the get go.

I'm not actually in support of the use of nuclear energy. It's just that the reasons some here offer for their opposition to it are pretty senseless, and border more on inferiority complex than any reasoned environmental considerations etc. I do prefer the use of renewable energy technologies, certainly.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Darlinhercules(m): 1:10am On Jun 21, 2015
oboman:

It's not that 'nothing ' will satisfy Nigerians, people are just being realistic. There are very basic infrastructures we can't run effectively and some people are talking nuclear? ordinary waterworks, refineries, schools, roads, waste management, etc; we can't run efficiently and we jumping to nuclear power.

Nuclear power isn't complex to run once the initial structure is put in place, the complex bit is managing the waste and having a strong contingent plan for leakages or accidents. You need a new mindset, not this one we used to, that suffers from corruption, greed, selfishness, irrationality etc.

Japan, as wealthy, highly organised and efficient as they are struggled to contain the Fukushima leakages, we can't even run our general hospitals.
Alright.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by LeSaint(m): 1:22am On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:
You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??

Nuclear plant in Nigeria?

That will be the stupidest mistake this country will ever make! I say this firmly and authoritatively.
We are toO naive, too careless, too reckless, too unorganized, too uncommitted, too unpatriotic to run and maintain a nuclear facility. In fact, we totally lack the work culture required to operate such a facility.
Just take a look at Ajaokuta Steel, the refineries, the hydro- and fossil-fuel power plants. Imagine a nuclear plant facing the same fate as those?

In a nuclear plant, the workers must be well-trained, motivated, sufficiently remunerated, insured, assured of lifetime sustaining pension. They must not see their bosses involved any form of graft, favoritism, or corner-cutting.
In other words, they cannot be distracted by material worries, such as housing, school fees for their children, or retirement.
To spell it out better yet; nuclear is NOT for 3rd world countries, and we are at the bottom of the bunch socio-culturally.

Quote me and say your own bit - but if you differ, let the plant be sited in your own backyard, and may that be far, very far, from mine!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Kendumazy(m): 1:28am On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmmmmm....
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by LeSaint(m): 1:38am On Jun 21, 2015
MicroBox:

No be oyinbo people tell you like that ? it's same Oyinbo people that will be coming over to oversee the whole affair. so chill
South Africa, Iran, Germany, Russia Israel, Pakistan, India,china, Japan etc all have and depend on nuclear power plant. the more population, the more demand for energy and definitely a quest for cheapest, reliable and affordable would be an option which is nuclear power plant.
Alternative sources of energy which is mostly D.C. Current is very expensive to generate. talking of its storage and inverting it to give A.C. current is no joke.
Solar, wind whatever whatever are not an option.
It's easy to generate A.C. and then step it down.
@TEAMNUCLEARPOWER9JA

Less I forget ....please NAEA I still have my acknowledgement and reference number of 2011 recruitment for Nuclear Power which nothing is heard of till date. I am scanning it and forwarding it to the HR cause I must be among the first batch to go Russia for training. thanks in advance.. .....

@Microbox, are you supposed to be speaking professionally?
And, are you expecting to be one of the custodians of this future nuclear facility? Ghm!
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 1:44am On Jun 21, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Go and bleach your mother white, so she can look like those from developed nations. That should ease your angst. Donkey.
I cry for your ignorance cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by PabloAfricanus(m): 2:01am On Jun 21, 2015
LeSaint:

Nuclear plant in Nigeria?

That will be the stupidest mistake this country will ever make! I say this firmly and authoritatively.
We are toO naive, too careless, too reckless, too unorganized, too uncommitted, too unpatriotic to run and maintain a nuclear facility. In fact, we totally lack the work culture required to operate such a facility.
Just take a look at Ajaokuta Steel, the refineries, the hydro- and fossil-fuel power plants. Imagine a nuclear plant facing the same fate as those?

In a nuclear plant, the workers must be well-trained, motivated, sufficiently remunerated, insured, assured of lifetime sustaining pension. They must not see their bosses involved any form of graft, favoritism, or corner-cutting.
In other words, they cannot be distracted by material worries, such as housing, school fees for their children, or retirement.
To spell it out better yet; nuclear is NOT for 3rd world countries, and we are at the bottom of the bunch socio-culturally.

Quote me and say your own bit - but if you differ, let the plant be sited in your own backyard, and may that be far, very far, from mine!

Spot on sir!
Its either Nigerians are dumb or we typically take everything as a joke.
These frigging politicians and their empty "engineers" cum useless certificate holders most likely HAVE THEIR FAMILIES ABROAD. And can afford to jet outside the country should any emergency occur.
A country that cannot run a steel mill, cannot run ordinary hydro power plant 24 hrs, with zero industrial engineering experience...wants to embark on nuclear power generation!

Please call your reps at the national assembly to call of this project. We simply cannot handle it. Our gas plants are still being vandalized by the cabals at the top. Our rail ways are still lying rusted. We have bigger problems.
A radiation leak will have centuries of dire consequences.
Please check this link for graphic examples of nuclear damages
www.nuclearreader.info/chapter7.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ohenhen1: 2:52am On Jun 21, 2015
Nuclear energy is going to be a reality. The good news is we don't have earthquakes and tsunamis in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by bunmititi(f): 3:34am On Jun 21, 2015
Norada:
Bushari take dat useless project to your village abi land no dey there. Confused mallam

kano needs a lot of electricity.
the nuclear bomb should be sited there.

ohenhen1:
Nuclear energy is going to be a reality. The good news is we don't have earthquakes and tsunamis in Nigeria.
it looks like you need the nuclear menini?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Kingbilo(m): 3:47am On Jun 21, 2015
UnknownT:
Nuclear Power in Nigeria, Laudable or Laughable? Dem dey call animals wey get horn for meeting, snail follow commot.
Loool
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ikorodureporta: 3:58am On Jun 21, 2015
Which kyne training? Yeyear! Our govt officials really needs to be checked. Now, u'v not been able to reduce gas flaring for over 50years of oil exploration which could be used for power, u'v abandoned coal, u cant use your Niger/Benue, & other water sources, solar is being wasted......& u'r talking of nuclear.
Last week, i heard a Lagos state official on radio talking abt converting waste water to reusable water, when they cant even maintain d supply of pure water. D last time, abt 18yrs ago i saw tap water, it contained some mosquito larva.....

If itz an oyibo-generated idea, una tink sey dem like us?
...#WeSayNoToNuclearPlant!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by idu1(m): 4:47am On Jun 21, 2015
This their commander general ade abulerin no go retire? Na only him dey do am since b4 2005
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Bollinger(m): 5:28am On Jun 21, 2015
I hope you'all don't destroy yourselves. You can't manage an oil refinery, dam, or electricity generation but you want to dabble into nuclear power. This will interesting to watch. It will be like watching a train wreck. You know it's going to happen, but you can't take your eyes away.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by baba11(m): 5:30am On Jun 21, 2015
I doubt if Nigeria has nuclear deterrent capabilities. Nuclear energy always involved expertise of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by MicroBox: 5:34am On Jun 21, 2015
LeSaint:

@Microbox, are you supposed to be speaking professionally?
And, are you expecting to be one of the custodians of this future nuclear facility? Ghm!
Nobody should wish to be a custodian of a Nuclear plant because of the radioactive element around it.it leaks and always come with side effect at long run.
Bro. I am just catching my fun....
stay blessed..
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by akwunmi(m): 5:37am On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:

sum wit wahala,wot ar u trying 2say nw? Isnt it beta 4us 2try n fail dan 2jst liv it.y ar u guys full of hatred? Wetin buhari do una sef wey una no fit 4giv am?? Instead of 2 welcum dis devlopmnt,u de mak hate speech.god help u.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ajealadick(m): 5:45am On Jun 21, 2015
loomer:
Una neva teach people first aid on accident victims finish na nuclear disaster.

No mind dem. Even the NSCDC spokesman sef I sure say him dey doze during the whole lecture. Let's ask Japan how Fukushima nuclear plant dealt with them.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by loomer: 6:08am On Jun 21, 2015
ajealadick:

No mind dem. Even the NSCDC spokesman sef I sure say him dey doze during the whole lecture. Let's ask Japan how Fukushima nuclear plant dealt with them.

Them no dey sabi set their priorities straight for this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by smajatt(m): 6:17am On Jun 21, 2015
totima:

I can imagine stupid vandals breaking into these facilities to make a point, only to cause downfall for Nigerians.

Men,are you for real? Do you even know what a nuclear disaster is? well if you don't let me juggle your memory a bit please kindly check the following wesites for more explanation,cos if i do you still won't understand the gratitude of your ignorance. for 1 i see no reason you would compare Nigeria to India and Pakistan. why do Nigeria send a lot of public servants to India for professional courses or is it that we are not professional,or why does India has 1 of the best history of surgical success in the medical world? Yes India has problems like Nigeria, but even the US,Britain and other world powers recognise the will,determination to cope and adapt with their problems.

For the love of God,we can't even manage mere street lights for fvcks sake, what in the hell happened to our refineries, or what in the fvcks name happened to that satellite we even paid China to send to orbit for us,cos last i checked we could'nt even do that. My brother lets leave the adults to play mummy and daddy and let the kids just keep building castle of sand, at least that way even if the castle falls they can rebuild.

Tell your leaders to repair the turbines first, get more step down and step up and step in and step out and step whatever transformers to all necessary LG and streets in the country first. Tell them also to make the prepaid meter available to all consumer in the country and they should stop hording it. Tell them to regulate the laughable bills they bring monthly first. Tell them to scrutinize the power sector first for fvcks sake.

Infact am and lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nicepoker(m): 6:30am On Jun 21, 2015
sunkoye:
they probably gonna site the facilities in states that would not be missed in case of disaster. .. cheesy
Akwa ibom and kogi won't be missed?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:32am On Jun 21, 2015
This our people when no get maintainance culture and when corruption na dia gab? Abeg make una leave nuclear matter o!.

Una nor know say if light constant sef for naija for more than 3weeks stretch our transformers go dey blow one by one as they are not used to constant electricity. E go hot so Tay na blow Dem go dey blow. Naim Dem want do nuclear? Go fix our transformers and refineries 1st.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shettima Visits Saraki Over Ali Ndume's Suspension (Photos) / 2023 Presidency: Who Becomes APC’s Flagbearer? / 2023: Coalition, Labour Party To Deploy 15 Agents To Each Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.