Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,648 members, 7,854,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 02:44 AM

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build (7944 Views)

Moaoun Designs An Audi R8 For Nigerian Roads (photos) / Diy: Immobiliser Delete On Bosch Motronic Me 7.5 Ecu (audi A4 B5 Facelift) / Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 25, 2015
marshalcarter:
Sorry....MR siena.....are you doin all this stuff alone??

I don miss a lot ooo...see ma dream job naim this man dey do....

#jealousMood

Yep. I do all my conversions and swaps alone. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 25, 2015
lonelydora:
I'm here following............ Oga Siena, Is it possible to use Kazeem's terms here? Remember say i be learner. The technical names are confusing. wink wink tongue tongue

The way Siena say things about Audi will soon make me follow him port.

Use whatever terms you're comfortable with. smiley

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by marshalcarter: 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2015
Siena:

Yep. I do all my conversions and swaps alone. wink
I swear m really jealous...cos ma dream job is to becum an engineer...mechanical for dat matter..but book me no no cry ..so when i saw this particular topic...I was really inspired...any way you can help me grin
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by JonSnow23: 9:30am On Jan 04, 2016
New to nairaland...

@siena

Thinking of getting a 2005 audio a4 1.8T in from Canada to be used in nigeria...

Kindly Provide me with what I should expect, maintenance, servicing etc...also where I can be servicing it , also your opinion on the car...
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by pafek(m): 8:34am On Jan 25, 2016
Siena:

Please post your number here, and I'll add you to the Audi Whatsapp Group.
Here's my phone number, please add me on the audi group
+23480612000000
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by stillbesh: 11:32pm On Jan 26, 2016
hello oga sienna please i need to speak with you in regards my vw golf... my whatsapp number is 08074767951
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 12:09am On Jan 27, 2016
Pafek and Stillbesh, added
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
Siena:
Pafek and Stillbesh, added

Add me to the Audi group please
+27610274644
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 30, 2016
With B5 420-R almost complete - it just needs the new manual S8 ECU matched to my cluster, my B5 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro will be swapping places soon. I will be installing a stock D2 S8 motor, just to make sure all bugs are ironed out. Then it will be replaced with a built engine.

The 2.5 V6 TDI engine is currently advertised for sale, and of course once it is sold, out it comes. The interior is going to be gutted too, unlike the Pelican Blue car, which is being built as a high-spec B5, the Santorin Blue car is going to share its road going duties with the track. So losing as much weight as possible is essential.

It will also need to be braced properly with a welded-in cage.

Getting ready:

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 07, 2016
Update: 07th May, 2016.

Well, the 2.5 V6 TDI motor has sold, so this marks the beginning of project B5 420-R DTM.

I will get her into the garage next week at some point, and commence pulling the motor. I will also start stripping the interior.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by instinctg(m): 10:48pm On May 07, 2016
well done boss
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 08, 2016
instinctg:
well done boss

Thanks bro. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 08, 2016
With the imminent installation of an S8 4.2 V8 32V motor into my B5 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro, I will be making some changes to the engine.

I rattle-canned the timing belt and valve covers, as well as the intake manifold. It looked good at the time, 4 years ago. But looking at the 40V BFM motor in my Pelican Blue car, it doesn't look too hot.

I am going to pull the timing belt covers, valve covers and the intake manifold, and send them off for paint. Like my Pelican Blue car, there will be some exterior colour matching.

Valve covers - Audi Panther Black Metallic.
Intake manifold - light grey, like my 40V.
Valve covers - Audi Java Green Metallic.

These will eventually be transferred to another motor I'm having built - providing the shop can do what I want.

I am junking the aircon compressor, as well as the power steering vane pump. I am going to run an electric power steering pump off a 2008 Volkswagen Passat.

My S8 32V engine as it currently stands:

Ignore the big covers, as I won't be running them. Besides the compressor and PAS vane pump, I'm losing the mechanical fan drive. So I'll end up with just the crank pulley and alternator, with the tensioner, a similar set-up to a B6 S4.

I will start on the harness to make it plug and play into my B5, once the engine is in the car, and I can get the length and routing.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by pinklingerie: 3:34pm On May 11, 2016
angels09:

Add me to the Audi group please
+27610274644

Please add me too, 08038320201
I own a 2003 1.8T Quattro
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 11, 2016
pinklingerie:

Please add me too, 08038320201
I own a 2003 1.8T Quattro

Added.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 8:58am On May 12, 2016
Siena:

Please post your number here, and I'll add you to the Audi Whatsapp Group.

Hi Siena, please add me to the group.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 9:18am On May 12, 2016
MissMercedes:

Hi Siena, please add me to the group.

Added.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 20, 2016
With the imminent installation of an S8 32V motor into my B5 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro, I will be making some changes to the engine.

I rattle-canned the timing belt and valve covers, as well as the intake manifold. It looked good at the time, 4 years ago. But looking at the 40V BFM motor in my Pelican Blue car, it doesn't look too hot.

I am going to pull the timing belt covers, valve covers and the intake manifold, and send them off for paint. Like my Pelican Blue car, there will be some exterior colour matching.

Valve covers - Audi Panther Black Metallic.
Intake manifold - light grey, like my 40V.
Valve covers - Audi Java Green Metallic.

These will eventually be transferred to another motor I'm having built - providing the shop can do what I want.

I am junking the aircon compressor, as well as the power steering vane pump. I am going to run an electric power steering pump off a 2008 Volkswagen Passat.

My S8 32V engine as it currently stands:

Ignore the big covers, as I won't be running them. Besides the compressor and PAS vane pump, I'm losing the mechanical fan drive. So I'll end up with just the crank pulley and alternator, with the tensioner, a similar set-up to a B6 S4.

I will start on the harness to make it plug and play into my B5, once the engine is in the car, and I can get the length and routing.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 20, 2016
Update: 13th May, 2016.

I finally pulled the 2.5 V6 TDI motor from my 2000 B5 A4 Quattro. I actually pulled it on my driveway, as B5 420-R was on jack stands in front of my garage. It was fun pushing the stripped car back and forth, manoeuvring it into my garage once I replaced the alternator and power steering pump on the Pelican Blue car.

The 2.5 V6 TDI motor has gone on to live in another shell.

It was interesting to note the B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro has a strut in the 2000 model year, and the 2.8 V6 30V, despite being 5 months newer hasn't. The 2.8 got the strut brace in late 2000, early 2001. The 01E transmission also has the 6x130mm output flanges too, same as the European D2 S8 manual.

Next step will be to remove all the TDI sound proofing in the engine bay, and drill out the spot welds that hold the secondary firewall in place. The engine bay also needs a good degrease, in preparation for paint. I am also notching my spare V6 front subframe, to ease motor fitment and removal.

I have removed the wiring harness from the D2 32V S8 motor, stripped the timing covers off in preparation for dropping off at the paint shop. I will remove the valve covers for painting too, as well as the intake manifold. All front accessories have been removed - a/c compressor, pas pump and its bracket, as well as the original fan bearing. The only accessory the crank will drive will be the alternator.

Pictures...

The motor, just before the strip down commenced:

The stripdown continues:

The pull:

One lightweight B5:

Showing the OEM upper strut brace - I was surprised to find it there:

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 20, 2016
The D2 S8 4.2 V8 32V (AHC) motor being stripped down. Valve covers, timing belt covers and intake manifold will be sent to the paint shop. I will temporarily refit the coil packs, and give the motor a thorough wash, wire brushing any tarnished aluminium once it's all clean.

I wonder what all this weighs? Discarded accessories and bracket:

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Peacefullife: 6:24pm On May 20, 2016
Mr. Siena,
Please you have messages and inquiries on your WhatsApp.

Kindly respond .

Thanks.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 20, 2016
^^^What number is the query from?
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by wellheads(m): 9:19pm On May 20, 2016
Its from 08036....31.

Thanks Sir.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 23, 2016
Update: 23rd May, 2016.

Juggling 2 projects is awesome. You get great motivation to complete 1, otherwise you either keep jumping on buses, or buy another car, which invariably turns into a project car itself.

I pulled my Santorin Blue B5 Quattro out of the garage, and began tearing into her. The interior sold on Saturday, to a guy who came down to buy the high pressure diesel pump (Bosch VP44).

I stripped out the carpet, centre console, parcel shelf, luggage compartment trim, roof lining and all the pillar trims. I'll be removing the door trims, and any harness that won't be useful. I'll have to remove the dash and the entire interior harness anyway, the cage is going to be a welded in custom job, and of course the whole interior (cage included) will need painting in the car's new colour.

The engine bay will be painted at the same time, so after removing the secondary firewall, I'm degreasing, doing any drilling and grinding required. The battery will be moved to the luggage compartment, the ABS unit may move to the original battery location, but I'm not sure yet. It all depends on how much heat will be concentrated in the scuttle area.

All the aircon components in the engine bay are gone. Halfway through drilling out the spot welds to get rid of the false firewall, the drill bit broke, so I need to get a replacement.

Without further ado, pictures!

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 23, 2016
Gutting the interior:

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 23, 2016
Lastly:

The heart of this car, a '98 S8 4.2 V8 32V (AHC) being stripped down:

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 11:51am On May 24, 2016
Wow. Let me just follow quietly. grin
Great job.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 24, 2016
0rex:
Wow. Let me just follow quietly. grin
Great job.

Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 27, 2016
Limited radiator and puller fan space is not so much an issue with a street car. You could get away with a pair of 12" pushers if aircon isn't being retained, or twin 10" units if they are mounted on the condenser. You could also supplement this with whatever size puller fan you can fit between the radiator and motor.

With a car that will share street duties with track days and dragging, running a stock, high-revving S8 motor in naturally-aspirated form, temperatures are going to be pretty high. It's not so much the coolant, it's more the engine bay temperature. Pusher fans do cool the radiator and coolant, but they also serve to obscure the radiator core from the ram effect achieved under normal driving conditions (where the fans shouldn't really be needed).

The plan with this build is to have the 4.2 V8 32V boosted, so naturally, it will increase engine bay temps. I plan to run as large a radiator as possible in the rear of the car, with a cold air intake in the spare wheel well area designed to feed fresh air to the core. The advantages of this arrangement are I am not limited in the radiator and fan/s sizes. I can also run a single 16" fan up front, to cool the engine bay, with rear extractors built into the rear of the hood to get rid of the hot air.

More intercooler space too for a single fat snail.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by derickivben: 10:05pm On May 28, 2016
Thank you, Siena for your support and selfless service to people on this platform. Kindly advise me on what to do. My 2007 Honda City jerks when I go up a hill. Took it for scanning ang realised that there is a problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor P0336. Please do you know the best person to give the car for fixing in Ibadan? and what advise do you have for me? please reach me on derick4ben@yahoo.com
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 28, 2016
derickivben:
Thank you, Siena for your support and selfless service to people on this platform. Kindly advise me on what to do. My 2007 Honda City jerks when I go up a hill. Took it for scanning ang realised that there is a problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor P0336. Please do you know the best person to give the car for fixing in Ibadan? and what advise do you have for me? please reach me on derick4ben@yahoo.com

Hello bro, unfortunately I know no one in Ibadan. As much as possible, I would advise you use a Honda dealership for repairs, so your car doesn't get wrecked.
Re: Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build by instinctg(m): 4:14pm On May 29, 2016
the way Siena strips these cars de fear me ,wonder how he ll scatter babes . lol.

but for real this is impressive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Aramco Plans To Slow Down Electric Car Progress By Making Efficient Engine / I Got Smoked By Honda Accord 2010 / Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.