Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,294 members, 7,818,991 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) (3504 Views)

Angry Villagers Beat Dogs To Death After Going On Rampage. Photos / A Very Big Tortoise Found And Slaughtered In My Neighbourhood. [PHOTOS] / I Released 9 Dogs To Be Sold From The Cage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 11:31am On Jun 22, 2015
An annual dog meat festival in south-west China has begun, amid uproar on the part of animal rights activists.
About 10,000 dogs will be slaughtered for their meat at the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival in Yulin in Guangxi province on Sunday and Monday to mark the summer solstice, state media said.
One retired school teacher from Tianjin hit the headlines when she purchased dozens of dogs to save them.
Residents and vendors in Yulin say the animals are killed in a humane way.
Activists say the killing is cruel and an online campaign to ban the festival has been signed by more than 3.8 million people so far and the campaign has attracted considerable support this year from celebrities both domestic and foreign.
Celebrities including British comedian Ricky Gervais have spoken out on Twitter with the hashtag #StopYuLin2015. Chinese pop star Chen Kun and actor Yang Mi have said they are joining the campaign on micro blogging site Weibo.
And Chinese actor Fan Bingbing and others posted a video online against the festival.

The festival began a few years ago according to state media.
The tradition of eating dog meat dates back four or five hundred years in China, South Korea and other countries, as it is believed to ward off the heat of the summer months, according to state news agency Xinhua.
However, this festival began in recent years, Xinhua said.
City officials have distanced themselves from the gathering. "Some residents of Yulin have the habit of coming together to eat lychees and dog meat during the summer solstice," the city's news office wrote on Weibo.
"The 'summer solstice lychee and dog meat festival' is a commercial term, the city has never [officially] organised a 'dog meat festival'," it added.
As in recent years, some animal lovers resorted to buying some of the dogs in order to rescue them.
Yang Xiaoyun, retired school teacher, paid about 7,000 yuan ($1,100; £710) to save 100 dogs on Saturday.

The BBC's Celia Hatton in Beijing says this kind of dispute puts the government in a really difficult position. The glorified consumption of dog meat generates a lot of negative foreign media reports, embarrassing the authorities. Also, the dog meat industry has been accused of many underhand tactics, including the illegal capture of family pets to use as food.
But at the same time, the government is wary of the increasingly sophisticated animal rights movement, she adds. Animal rights activists in China have formed a cohesive network on social media that extends to many foreign animal welfare groups. China's leaders do not want to encourage such a movement amid a wider crackdown on civil disturbance of any kind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-33220235?OCID=fbasia&ocid=socialflow_facebook

Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 11:35am On Jun 22, 2015
I think its cruel and senseless, but for the dog eaters na enjoyment galore.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by ejiroghene105(m): 11:36am On Jun 22, 2015
Iyami! cheesy
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 11:39am On Jun 22, 2015
ejiroghene105:
Iyami! cheesy
Bros, e be like say you be dog eatergrin
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by UjSizzle(f): 11:39am On Jun 22, 2015
Why don't the animal rights activists feel the same way about butchering Cows and catching Fishes?
It's bad enough humans segregate between one another, they'll also extend it towards animals.

Yeah we love Dogs, but they are no less a source of meat to some people as Goats are to others.

7 Likes

Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by premConcept: 11:43am On Jun 22, 2015
404 grincheesy
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by jamex93(m): 11:53am On Jun 22, 2015
dogs in trouble
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by Judeoxide(m): 11:55am On Jun 22, 2015
Kai..dog that can sense sadness, pain, hardship, happiness and even unforeseen death of the owner.. That animal is one of a kind and any body capable of killing it after hearing how it cries can kill a human being....China sha

4 Likes

Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by houseofmastiff(m): 12:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
they are being cruel to our beloved friends angrythey are being cruel to our beloved friends
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by herald9: 12:12pm On Jun 22, 2015
UjSizzle:
Why don't the animal rights activists feel the same way about butchering Cows and catching Fishes?
It's bad enough humans segregate between one another, they'll also extend it towards animals.

Yeah we love Dogs, but they are no less a source of meat to some people as Goats are to others.

All animals are equal.
But some animals are more equal than others. grin

A dog is more than just an animal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by UjSizzle(f): 12:53pm On Jun 22, 2015
herald9:

All animals are equal.
But some animals are more equal than others. grin

A dog is more than just an animal.
Story. Tell that to the vegetarians tongue
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by lahit14(m): 1:21pm On Jun 22, 2015
UjSizzle:

Couldn't help but agree wit u, I am a dog lover bigtime but yes they'r still a very big sourc of meat. Truth be told I evn eat dog meat , here's the favorite part, my dogs do too.
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by Sagamite(m): 4:58pm On Jun 23, 2015
ejiroghene105:
Iyami! cheesy

premConcept:
404 grincheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I trust Nigerians. grin
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by smileysmiles(f): 8:29am On Jun 26, 2015
lahit14:

Couldn't help but agree wit u, I am a dog lover bigtime but yes they'r still a very big sourc of meat. Truth be told I evn eat dog meat , here's the favorite part, my dogs do too.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by PrinceZahzah(m): 11:03am On Jun 26, 2015
lahit14:

dis guy ehn grin
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by lahit14(m): 11:16am On Jun 26, 2015
PrinceZahzah:
dis guy ehn grin

Oh pls... The both, I mean loving dogs passionately and eating dog meat doesn't hav to be mutually exclusive. Plus hav u heard, dog meat poses some health benefits, its not founded ofcourse but thr's som truth to it not to evn mention how delicious it is.
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by NnamdiN: 3:00pm On Sep 03, 2015
lahit14:

dog eat dog wasn't just a phrase afterall
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by emmanueles(m): 8:53pm On Sep 03, 2015
lahit14:

guy I no sure say dogs go still da una area o
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by naijainfogalery: 10:44pm On Sep 03, 2015
Oh my God , can they let people buy those dogs for double of the price instead of killing them
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by ray78: 1:05am On Oct 12, 2015
Lol why should the Chinese people be prevented from eating them/Its their culture for hundreds of years.Dont you eat meat and chicken?Are cows lesser animals than dogs?Dogs too are sources of protein.
All this talk of dogs being mans best friend is funny,if you die alone in your house with your dog,the dog will start eating your dead body whether you were nice to your dog or not.Why dogs are "loyal'is because you are their source of food and shelter,and thats it.They dont love you that much lol.
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by K9blunt(f): 11:59am On Oct 12, 2015
UjSizzle:

who told you animal rights activist are not fighting against butchering of animals all through?

just like humans are a source of meat for cannibalistic people; Fiji, some south east and some south south Nigeria.

I eat meat but am against the method of killing the animal for its meat

meanwhile the dog is considered a pet close to a human (remember man's best friend) so therefore the outrage against slaughtering dogs for meat is considered inhumane.
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by DJMCOTTY(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2015
MissSlimbody:
An annual dog meat festival in south-west China has begun, amid uproar on the part of animal rights activists.
About 10,000 dogs will be slaughtered for their meat at the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival in Yulin in Guangxi province on Sunday and Monday to mark the summer solstice, state media said.
One retired school teacher from Tianjin hit the headlines when she purchased dozens of dogs to save them.
Residents and vendors in Yulin say the animals are killed in a humane way.
Activists say the killing is cruel and an online campaign to ban the festival has been signed by more than 3.8 million Bpeople so far and the campaign has attracted considerable support this year from celebrities both domestic and foreign.
Celebrities including British comedian Ricky Gervais have spoken out on Twitter with the hashtag #StopYuLin2015. Chinese pop star Chen Kun and actor Yang Mi have said they are joining the campaign on micro blogging site Weibo.
And Chinese actor Fan Bingbing and others posted a video online against the festival.

The festival began a few years ago according to state media.
The tradition of eating dog meat dates back four or five hundred years in China, South Korea and other countries, as it is bbbelieved to ward off the heat of the summer months, according to state news agency Xinhua.
However, this festival began in recent years, Xinhua said.
City officials have distanced themselves from the gathering. "Some residents of Yulin have the habit of coming together to eat lychees and dog meat during the summer solstice," the city's news office wrote on Weibo.
"The 'summer solstice lychee and dog mebat festival' is a commercial term, the city has never [officially] organised a 'dog meat festival'," it added.
As in recent years, some animal lovers resorted to buying some of the dogs in order to rescue them.
Yang Xiaoyun, retired school teacher, paid about 7,000 yuan ($1,100; £710) to save 100 dogs on Saturday.

The BBC's Celia Hatton in Beijing says this kind of dispute puts the government in a reallby difficult position. The glorified consumption of dog meat generates a lot of negative foreign media reports, embarrassing the authorities. Also, the dog meat industry has been accused of many underhand tactics, including the illegal capture of family pets to use as food.
But at the same time, the government is wary of the increasingly sophisticated animal rights movement, she adds. Animal rights activists in China have formed a cohesive network on social media that extends to many foreign animal welfare groups. China's leaders do not want to encourage such a movement amid a wider crackdown on civil disturbance of any kind.
B

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-hina-33220235?OCID=fbasia&ocid=socialflow_facebook
eeya! Look at the bright side.. All dogs go to heaven
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
DJMCOTTY:
eeya! Look at the bright side.. All dogs go to heaven

All dogs go to heavenshockedshocked
Bros, how nah?
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2015
MissSlimbody:
I think its cruel and senseless, but for the dog eaters na enjoyment galore.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 11:00pm On Oct 12, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Couldn't have said it better myself
smiley
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by DJMCOTTY(m): 7:23am On Oct 13, 2015
MissSlimbody:

All dogs go to heavenshockedshocked
Bros, how nah?
na Wetin cartoon tell us na!
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 7:30am On Oct 13, 2015
DJMCOTTY:
na Wetin cartoon tell us na!

Choi! cheesy

That means "All dogs go to cartoon heaven"

Now I understand wink
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by DJMCOTTY(m): 9:16am On Oct 13, 2015
MissSlimbody:

Choi! cheesy

That means "All dogs go to cartoon heaven"

Now I understand wink
obviously mrs slimbodi is a cartoon hater........chill am coming lemme see ur profile before I talk, cus am crazy for slim gals grin
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by MissSlimbody(f): 9:22am On Oct 13, 2015
DJMCOTTY:
obviously mrs slimbodi is a cartoon hater........chill am coming lemme see ur profile before I talk, cus am crazy for slim gals grin

Naaaah, I'm not a cartoon hater. But its been long I watched one.
Re: 10,000 Dogs To Be Slaughtered For Their Meat(photo) by james1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 20, 2015
The world is not a bed of roses.

(1) (Reply)

Pregnant Caucasian For Sale ASAP (Photo) / Baby Monitor Lizard For Sale / How Can Dogs Be Dewormed Without Using Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.