Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students (2999 Views)

Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? / Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 11:35am On Jun 23, 2015
This thread was inspired by this thread which is currently on fp: https://www.nairaland.com/2398445/positive-turnout-unn-protest-pics#up

First of all it is totally shameful that the writer was unable to bare his grievances in simple English. The format in which the story is written is totally incomprehensible. And to believe that this was written by a university undergraduate is quite appalling. I've come across lots of "graduates" and believe me, their level of spoken and written English is worse than some primary school students.

A university is supposed to the breeding ground for future electricians, engineers, doctors etc but it so embarrassing that the school should remain in such a state while students of such intellectual capacity reside there. It is already common knowledge that our "elders" are incompetent and they choose to not take up their responsibility but that is not enough excuse for the youth to mimic their incompetence.

From the picture in the thread I find it rather pathetic that the students can allow the buildings get to such dilapidated state while they reside within it. Aside from renovation there is also necessary maintenance that should be taken into account. You, the students, live there and whatever state it is in now is partially your fault. STOP COMPLAINING and device a self imposed project of re constructing your hostels. Divide yourselves into groups and use your problems as an opportunity to carry out practicals on what you've studied in the classroom.

It is possible that there are more than 100 students, who are all studying a wide variety of courses living in that building. Divide yourself into groups, assign different responsibilities and ensure that the building is renovated. You don't need to protest to the school authorities when you know they will not do anything about it.

Let every student be mandated to have their own dustbins(to manage waste), students who studied electrical engineering can fix the wires, sockets etc while other people can handle other areas based on their discipline. Everyone should be assigned to pay some money to buy paint while some students(probably those who don't have money to contribute for the paint) can repaint the buildings. If you don't have enough cash, you can raise awareness and seek the help of past students in generating funds or necessary materials for the project.

Great countries are envisioned by wise men and championed by the youth. Stop waiting for someone else to fix your problems. What the hell are you in school for?

Be the change you seek

1 Like

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by adioolayi(m): 11:42am On Jun 23, 2015
"From the picture in the thread I find it rather pathetic that the
students can allow the buildings get to such dilapidated state while
they reside within it. Aside from renovation there is also necessary
maintenance that should be taken into account. You, the students,
live there and whatever state it is in now is partially your fault.
STOP COMPLAINING and device a self imposed project of re
constructing your hostels. Divide yourselves into groups and use
your problems as an opportunity to carry out practicals on what
you've studied in the classroom."

@OP...are you a graduate... If yes from where...if No where are you currently studying?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2015
adioolayi:
"From the picture in the thread I find it rather pathetic that the
students can allow the buildings get to such dilapidated state while
they reside within it. Aside from renovation there is also necessary
maintenance that should be taken into account. You, the students,
live there and whatever state it is in now is partially your fault.
STOP COMPLAINING and device a self imposed project of re
constructing your hostels. Divide yourselves into groups and use
your problems as an opportunity to carry out practicals on what
you've studied in the classroom."

@OP...are you a graduate... If yes from where...if No where are you currently studying?

No I'm not. I dropped out in secondary school and I'm currently studying web development and design in my house. Plus I run an online store. Check my signature grin

What's the point of your question?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by adioolayi(m): 11:54am On Jun 23, 2015
hahn:

No I'm not. I dropped out in secondary school and I'm currently studying web development and design in my house. Plus I run an online store. Check my signature grin
What's the point of your question?
OK....Nairalanders will understand better your aired opinion.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 1:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
adioolayi:

OK....Nairalanders will understand better your aired opinion.

Understand what exactly? And what was the point of your question?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
This one is mad ni?

I'll pay acceptance fee, school fees, faculty dues, other minor dues, hostel fees and I'll still be the one to renovate the hostel?

You must have been gay when you were in school

What is the school and government's responsibility?

If I'm to practice, is it with the hostel

Abeg don't let me call down thunder on you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
sirman:
This one is mad ni?

I'll pay acceptance fee, school fees, faculty dues, other minor dues, hostel fees and I'll still be the one to renovate the hostel?

Very intellectual response

1 Like

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
@talentmineng, do you know how to create a thread on nairaland?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by darmhey(m): 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
sirman:
This one is mad ni?

no mind am, na drop out, he no understand.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 8:49pm On Jun 23, 2015
darmhey:

Lol. Another intellectual comment
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by debuscket(m): 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2015
OP just succeeded in advertising his ignorance..... NEXT
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by oluwadanie1(m): 11:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
@op, who do you think can talk to all the students and they would listen? Don't you know students again??
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by Boomboost(m): 9:21am On Jun 24, 2015
...be like na only me see sense in what O.P is saying. BTW, Africans r lazy, dem no like sacrifice.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by HonourablePomk: 10:11am On Jun 24, 2015
Another dundahead here wtf re you saying we should leave our academic activities to renovate school hostels? Alright I'm disappointed here.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 10:41am On Jun 24, 2015
debuscket:
OP just succeeded in advertising his ignorance..... NEXT

My ignorance about what exactly?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 10:52am On Jun 24, 2015
oluwadanie1:
@op, who do you think can talk to all the students and they would listen? Don't you know students again??

I'm well aware of the non chalant attitudes we, Nigerian citizens exhibit and not just students. In this country, we complain about how dirty our environment is and about flooded communities after rainfall but we still continue to throw away our pure water sachets, gala/biscuit/chocolate wrappers, pet bottles on the street and pass the blame to the government.

Every great society was built on the ideas, enthusiasm and strength of the youths. This thread is simply created to address our youths and encourage us to take things into our hands instead of always waiting for our "elders" to do something about it especially when they've dissapointed us over and over again.

I don't expect an immediate change. You can take this thread as a seed
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 10:53am On Jun 24, 2015
Boomboost:
...be like na only me see sense in what O.P is saying. BTW, Africans r lazy, dem no like sacrifice.

Thank you. All we do is complain, sit down in front of our laptops, thanks to the internet, and do nothing about it in real life.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 10:57am On Jun 24, 2015
HonourablePomk:
Another dundahead here wtf re you saying we should leave our academic activities to renovate school hostels? Alright I'm disappointed here.

Well, it always seems like you, the students, are able to leave your academic activities to go to clubs, become oloshos, promote cultism and kill each other over irrelevant issues while you still collect pocket money from your parents then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create time to fix the hostels and environment that YOU live in.

Students in other countries are achieving great feats while you lots are barely even employable after leaving school.

I'm the one that should be disappointed
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 11:02am On Jun 24, 2015
darmhey:

Always remember that people like Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and lots of great men were either drop outs, self taught or even home schooled.

And also keep in mind that majority of you "graduates" are either unemployable, can't speak and compose sentences properly and will eventually end up working for a drop out.

2 Likes

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by orogodoganyin(m): 11:26am On Jun 24, 2015
a lad who's never had to stand for a 2-hour lecture, after which he returns to his 4x4m room shared with 8 other room mates, only to drink garri without sugar.
hw'd he understand d pains of a bricklayer who sponsors himself under regular fees increments?
b4 finishing the first page of ur notes, ur eye lids are already getting heavier, where would d energy nd thots for renovation come from?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 11:34am On Jun 24, 2015
orogodoganyin:
a lad who's never had to stand for a 2-hour lecture, after which he returns to his 4x4m room shared with 8 other room mates, only to drink garri without sugar.
hw'd he understand d pains of a bricklayer who sponsors himself under regular fees increments?
b4 finishing the first page of ur notes, ur eye lids are already getting heavier, where would d energy nd thots for renovation come from?

Lol. 2 hours lecture? Bro, I've been on the streets you know nothing about. My experience compared to what you're talking about is like comparing a fart to poopoo. They both stink but both can't be done with your clothes on.

However, I am not referring to an immediate change. You don't have to do it right now. Plan, strategize, delegate. That's why y'all are in school, to gain knowledge. Use it
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 24, 2015
Zuckerberg, gates & those other great mehn didn't renovate their school hostel.

You might think you have thought of something great but calm down & look at it logically, what u're saying makes no sense.

If you schooled abroad or something, dnt come and be talking like you know our system here

hahn:

Always remember that people like Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and lots of great men were either drop outs, self taught or even home schooled.

And also keep in mind that majority of you "graduates" are either unemployable, can't speak and compose sentences properly and will eventually end up working for a drop out.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by orogodoganyin(m): 11:48am On Jun 24, 2015
hahn:

Lol. 2 hours lecture? Bro, I've been on the streets you know nothing about. My experience compared to what you're talking about is like comparing a fart to poopoo. They both stink but both can't be done with your clothes on.

However, I am not referring to an immediate change. You don't have to do it right now. Plan, strategize, delegate. That's why y'all are in school, to gain knowledge. Use it

hahaha hustler... u should know how tasking mental work is. comparing street hustle with this stuff? ur joking. doubtless, some have it easy. but u shud know many of those guys also cum home to resume ur type of hustle. ask thm wch one they'd rather do if it'd earn them the same thing in the long run
d'u fink one'd rather go to school than hustle on d street if it earns him the same status in this society?
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by HonourablePomk: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2015
hahn:

Well, it always seems like you, the students, are able to leave your academic activities to go to clubs, become oloshos, promote cultism and kill each other over irrelevant issues while you still collect pocket money from your parents then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create time to fix the hostels and environment that YOU live in.

Students in other countries are achieving great feats while you lots are barely even employable after leaving school.

I'm the one that should be disappointed

Ignorance indeed is a disease you are suffering from. Barely employable? Did you see the topic recently on nairaland about University students that are more employable? Did your private University manage to appear in the list? Stop hating bro you failed jamb consecutively doesn't mean you are dull keep trying your best you might be opportune for a better degree in a federal University.
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by chynergy1(m): 2:14pm On Jun 24, 2015
eyaaaa they may be sense in this .....
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2015
orogodoganyin:

hahaha hustler... u should know how tasking mental work is. comparing street hustle with this stuff? ur joking. doubtless, some have it easy. but u shud know many of those guys also cum home to resume ur type of hustle. ask thm wch one they'd rather do if it'd earn them the same thing in the long run
d'u fink one'd rather go to school than hustle on d street if it earns him the same status in this society?

I'm not one to knock anyone's hustle, we all have our struggles and none's problem is less important. No doubt mental stress is tasking. Why do you think I dropped out? I'm a confirm olodo and my brain can't take half of what you guy's do.

I was just saying. Why don't the youths take it upon themselves and be the change they seek. These old men don't care, they'd rather send their kids to a private uni or even abroad and leave the common man to suffer.

That's all. I know it might sound silly or even naïve but .......

1 Like

Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 2:48pm On Jun 24, 2015
sirman:
Zuckerberg, gates & those other great mehn didn't renovate their school hostel.

You might think you have thought of something great but calm down & look at it logically, what u're saying makes no sense.

If you schooled abroad or something, dnt come and be talking like you know our system here

@bolded, you might be right.

It was just a thought. It might seem impossible but it is feasible. At the end of the day if something is broken and the person who is responsible for fixing it doesn't take responsibility then it is only right you fix it yourself. Don't you think?

Me, schooled abroad? Me wey never pass Cotonou? Guy, I be confirm street boy. No joke
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2015
HonourablePomk:

Ignorance indeed is a disease you are suffering from. Barely employable? Did you see the topic recently on nairaland about University students that are more employable? Did your private University manage to appear in the list? Stop hating bro you failed jamb consecutively doesn't mean you are dull keep trying your best you might be opportune for a better degree in a federal University.

Lol. I didn't even write waec

Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Simple. Why do you think employers ask for "minimum years of experence"? That's a polite way of telling you to fvck off
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by darmhey(m): 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2015
hahn:

d drop out I meant was not the you will not make it in life drop out, it's d you won't actually understand hw we struggle to eat 3-square meals sometimes let alone embark on a project d management is supposed to, after milking us in all possible ways
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
wonderful
Re: Shame On All Nigerian Public University Students by hahn(m): 4:18pm On Jun 24, 2015
darmhey:
d drop out I meant was not the you will not make it in life drop out, it's d you won't actually understand hw we struggle to eat 3-square meals sometimes let alone embark on a project d management is supposed to, after milking us in all possible ways

Forgive my mis understanding regarding the "drop out" statement. However, I more than understand, believe me. I just thought the youths have to be more demanding. These our "elders" have failed and are unreliable. I really feel the youths should take things into in our hands

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uniport Student Spotted Reading For Examination In Bet9ja (photo) / Flags In Nature / Chinese Government Scholarship 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.