Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles (29549 Views)

Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land / Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. / Federal Government Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture, Textiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 23, 2015
THE Federal Government has lifted the embargo on the importation of textile materials into the country. Confirming this in Lagos yesterday, the Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service, (NCS), Alhaji Abdullahi Dikko said that Nigerians can now import textile materials subject to payment of right duty.

Speaking at the official launching of the implementation of Economic Community of West Africa States, (ECOWAS), Common External Tariff, (CET), Dikko said that the items were removed from the prohibition list in line with the laws guiding the CET regime. “Textile, furniture and others have become dutiable as both commodities have been removed from the Import Prohibition Lists and it is going to be implemented” said Abdullahi Dikko.
The Customs boss, who was represented by Victor Gbemudu, Assistant Comptroller General, Zone ‘A’, said that importers of these goods are now expected to pay 35 percent duty as agreed by ECOWAS member countries as well as the levy as contained in the Import Adjustment Tax (IAT).
“CET also comes with some adjustments for member countries. There are 97 chapters with the 5,899 tariff headings but every member country is entitled to 3 percent adjustment. “This 3 percent adjustment translates into 177 tariff headings to enable member countries to protect their local industries.”

Gbemudu said these items were banned because the government wanted to protect the local industries involved in the manufacturing of these goods. He also promised that by 2020, there would no longer be any item on the import prohibition list as everything would have been harmonized. He said that the CET is subject to review every five years.
He however said that poultry products still remain banned as government cannot allow their importation from outside the country. “If you go through the Common External Tariff you will see that a lot of items have been removed from the prohibition list and it is going to be implemented; mostly, furniture, textiles and the rest of them, most of them will now pay duty and will have Import Adjustment Tax (IAT)”

“The CET is not new, it embraces about 15 countries which includes Nigeria, all we are just doing is to bring stakeholders to understand what the CET is all about and to a large extent it comes with some adjustments for member countries”, he explained.

Speaking on the advantage of the CET on Nigerian economy, Gbemudu assured that there would no longer be policy somersault on importation, saying that importers can now project and plan five years ahead since the duty payable will remain the same. He charged stakeholders not to blame the Customs or the federal government for any inconveniences occasioned by the implementation of CET, saying that it is not peculiar to Nigeria, but that it is a regional thing.

Gbemudu said that  customs introduced the Import Adjustment Tax (IAT) in order to protect certain policies of government such as the sugar policy, agricultural policy, solid mineral policy among others.

The new CET regime according to an official of the tariff will eventually lead to consolidated regional market while stimulating regional production capacity and deepening economic integration. It will recalled that the Federal Government banned these items in 2010 with a view to growing the local industries.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/fg-lifts-ban-on-importation-of-furniture-textiles/

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 23, 2015
wow finally I hit FP and FTC superb. salute to baba God and thanks to the great moderators of this site. opeeee ooo.. mean while I pray God make me bigger than my enemies and make me better than the best.

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by braivheart: 9:26pm On Jun 23, 2015
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by INTROVERT(f): 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
Isn't it killing the local market.? undecided

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
nigeruansb
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by kolomax(m): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
pheeeeeew finally have been eyeing some textiles and wooden chairs on 1688 finally..... nisibor here I come

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Ragner(m): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
there was no need to Lift the Ban.....Our industries are still not growing

Hollandis Wrapper for August meeting Loading

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by awejulius: 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
haaa this man with tribalism. because of seized textile in the north. Buari failed at last.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Emekamex(m): 9:38pm On Jun 23, 2015
Buhari should better appoint ministers; he has been making questionable decisions since he was elected.

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by LoveMachine(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Maxymilliano(m): 9:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Lifting of ban on textile, others will be tragic for local industries, what the government should focus on is how to revive the wobbling industries ...

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by CSTR2: 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
To tell you i am surprised would be a lie. I want to see how the old man intends to create mass employment.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by obailala(m): 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
Maxymilliano:
Lifting of ban on textile, others will be tragic for local industries, what the government should focus on is how to revive the wobbling industries ...
The truth is that the ban was never really enforced. The ban did not stop or even reduce the importation of textiles at all. It was just an avenue for the ever corrupt customs officials to make so much money in the form of bribes; moneys which should have accrued to the government as duties. With the lifting of the ban, at least a chunk of those moneys received by the customs guys would get to the government.... and this govt is in desperate need of revenue.

Devising means of tackling the corrupt customs officials and also blocking our porous borders is a step that should be considered first before the ban. For the mean time, the government can collect duties on the imported fabrics, a very high duty can be considered as an alternative first before the right structures are put in place for a proper ban.

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by atlwireles: 10:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
So all the textiles mills, where billions were borrowed from the bank of industry to revive them, will now go to sleep again. By the way, how was this ban lifted? No minister or FEC meeting. Are we now running a one man executive?

Tomorrow APC almajiris will come here and complain about tooth picks, you are about to kill thousands of jobs. angry angry angry

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by ochejoseph(m): 10:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
A Sad day for local Textile industries

A sad day for the families they support

Those sabotaging the economy have won the 30 billion worth of textile confiscated by GEJ from Kano traders will now be returned through the back door!

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by shigoslim(m): 10:50pm On Jun 23, 2015
Another blow to our small and scale medium enterprises. Imagine Nigeria we continue becoming dumping ground for oyinbo while that of our small industry will keep scrolling.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by bornmekus: 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2015
That's a good NEWS!
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by shigoslim(m): 11:02pm On Jun 23, 2015
obailala:
The truth is that the ban was never enforced. The ban did not stop or even reduce the importation of textiles all. It was just an avenue for the ever corrupt customs officials to make so much money in the form of bribes; moneys which should have accrued to the government as duties. With the lifting of the ban, at least a chunk of those moneys received by the customs guys would get to the government.... and this govt is in desperate need of revenue.

Trash it's clearly shows that u lack common basis economic analysis. If your government is desperately in need of revenue, lifting ban on importation is it the best solution to income generator ? If importation is higher than exportation what do u think it will result to ? Don't you think it's will definitely befall government revenue or income generation. We are talking of how government will boost our economy through diversification . If government encourage small scale industry and we start exporting to other country who will benefit most? Is'nt not Nigeria government....... Must we rely on importation ? Another setback forward change indeed Nigeria has enter one chance

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by TheFreeOne: 11:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
Can this be true Are we in reverse gear

9 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by obailala(m): 12:29am On Jun 24, 2015
shigoslim:

Trash it's clearly shows that u lack common basis economic analysis. If your government is desperately in need of revenue, lifting ban on importation is it the best solution to income generator ? If importation is higher than exportation what do u think it will result to ? Don't you think it's will definitely befall government revenue or income generation. We are talking of how government will boost our economy through diversification . If government encourage small scale industry and we start exporting to other country who will benefit most? Is'nt not Nigeria government....... Must we rely on importation ? Another setback forward change indeed Nigeria has enter one chance
I can see you are very good at memorising your economics texbooks. But I can assure you that your texbook did not factor in the effect of corruption in its analysis. Goodnight

37 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 12:29am On Jun 24, 2015
God forbid. Bad news and policies just dey follow Buhari up and down.

So what will now happen to our local businesses? Fold up? Soon the dullard will reverse the policies on the auto industries and chase away automobile companies setting up base in Nigeria.

Welcome to 1980s Nigeria.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by shigoslim(m): 12:56am On Jun 24, 2015
obailala:

I can see you are very good at memorising your economics texbooks. But I can assure you that your texbook did not factor in the effect of corruption in its analysis. Goodnight

u see yo life. Which one is more corrupt in importation and exportation ? If u can answer it on your own goodluck but vise visa don't quote me again.

9 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Stunner1(f): 1:15am On Jun 24, 2015
undecided undecided undecided

$1 to 1naira
Im patiently waiting angry angry

5 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 24, 2015
Do you really wear Nigerian textile? The Local businesses that lacks funding. What we need is foreign direct investment, improve what we have on ground, we can turn those small business into a bigger one. Nigerians believe that whatever is made in Nigeria is inferior, how would the local business grow? We don't even have made in Nigerian Original louis vuitton scandals. The global economy is moving very fast so we cannot start producing now what we know will not be beneficial to the world. However i expect them to ban importation of frozen birds in the next one year.

calebo101:
God forbid. Bad news and policies just dey follow Buhari up and down.

So what will now happen to our local businesses? Fold up? Soon the dullard will reverse the policies on the auto industries and chase away automobile companies setting up base in Nigeria.

Welcome to 1980s Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Vicadonis(m): 6:24am On Jun 24, 2015
They will soon come back to ban. The government is testing Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by OLADD: 6:37am On Jun 24, 2015
Buhari misfiring from all cylinders. While many Nigerians are expecting him to institute policies that promote indigenous growth and capacity enhancement, the Daura man is busy promoting importation driven econony! I hope Nigerians have not entered Half Chance.

9 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 24, 2015
Bad move.. He's just killing our local furniture market and textiles

4 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 24, 2015
PUSH1:
Do you really wear Nigerian textile? The Local businesses that lacks funding. What we need is foreign direct investment, improve what we have on ground, we can turn those small business into a bigger one. Nigerians believe that whatever is made in Nigeria is inferior, how would the local business grow? We don't even have made in Nigerian Original louis vuitton scandals. The global economy is moving very fast so we cannot start producing now what we know will not be beneficial to the world. However i expect them to ban importation of frozen birds in the next one year.

yes, I do. I wear a lot of traditional attire bought from the local markets and tailored by local tailors..thanks

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by chukel(m): 6:54am On Jun 24, 2015
I really don't understand it when they say there was ban on importation of furniture and textile. What kind of furniture and textile are they talking about. Is it the foreign furniture that adorns government houses, homes of politicians and the elite? Is it the foreign office furniture I see in offices? Was there truly a ban before now? What do they mean by textile? Cos as far as I kn, almost everything we wear is imported. In as much as I may not support this policy, I think there was never a ban on these items. On the contrary, it was a pseudo ban. And as a result such items were not dutiable, but were still allowed to be imported, duties collected and pocketed by customs with percentages being sent to oga politicians. In all, I think this is to stem corruption in customs. Now FG will comfortably ask for duties for all these textile and foreign furniture we see.

10 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by UncleJudax(m): 7:26am On Jun 24, 2015
obailala:
The truth is that the ban was never enforced. The ban did not stop or even reduce the importation of textiles all. It was just an avenue for the ever corrupt customs officials to make so much money in the form of bribes; moneys which should have accrued to the government as duties. With the lifting of the ban, at least a chunk of those moneys received by the customs guys would get to the government.... and this govt is in desperate need of revenue.
Why don't they enforce it? Or they do not know the implication of this action on one of their campaign promises...Job Creation?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by splashbaby(m): 7:44am On Jun 24, 2015
Now we should brace up to tackle this government... Buhari is gradually going the way of the clueless king

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by sirdave(m): 7:49am On Jun 24, 2015
This is indeed a sad day for us in this country. It should indeed be declared a day of mourning. How can a government who claim to be responsible be toying with the future of her citizens. It appears that we have finally entered one chance bus. Nigeria from this has become a dumping ground.
JEJ rejected this when he was asked to embrace it. Now the change agents whom themselves are not changed brought it back.
May God save us from this confused changers.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Moment Buhari Announced Suspension Of CJN Walter Onnoghen / APC, PDP Senators-elect Clash Over Voting Pattern / Why Pdp‘ll Lose Kogi Guber Election- Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.