Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles (29544 Views)

Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land / Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. / Federal Government Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture, Textiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by francizy(m): 11:21pm On Jun 24, 2015
shigoslim:

Trash it's clearly shows that u lack common basis economic analysis. If your government is desperately in need of revenue, lifting ban on importation is it the best solution to income generator ? If importation is higher than exportation what do u think it will result to ? Don't you think it's will definitely befall government revenue or income generation. We are talking of how government will boost our economy through diversification . If government encourage small scale industry and we start exporting to other country who will benefit most? Is'nt not Nigeria government....... Must we rely on importation ? Another setback forward change indeed Nigeria has enter one chance

Are you replying that bigoted, tribalistic, hypocritical goon? Same mofos that were screaming that Buhari will create 1 million jobs per year are trying to justify the massacre of local products.. How do you intend to create jobs when you lift ban on importation of what local hands can produce? The evil these dudes are sowing will come back to hunt them. As a military head, he created senseless economic policies without weighing the repercussions. What was the effect? An economic disaster. Now he has come again. By the time he's done with Nigeria, na slave trade era we go fall into..

4 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Superman11(m): 11:45pm On Jun 24, 2015
Onegai:

The Furniture industry is improving: woodworking factories are being set up and run more efficiently... by the Chinese and Italians. People are patronising them and leaving the headache of buying from a local carpenter in the past. Instead of the local carpenter to see what he can do to compete, he sits on his butt and whines that he is losing business. It's the same thing happening to tailors (whose fault is that I want well-made clothes with minimum fuss and you cannot deliver? )

Everyone should stop waiting on the govt. I could help set up and shape their business for them using only private willing investors (but they will refuse to pay me, attempt to cheat me, look for ways to exploit me, then cry piteously at the end of the day that there is no profit).

Nigeria's Business Mentality is one of the worst in the world. Doing business in this country is a nightmare, so with the lifting of the ban, I'd rather go through a more sane, honest West African country and get my profits than attempt to be loyal or patriotic (when my fellow countrymen will punish me for that patriotism).

i know many Nigerians who make their own furniture and sell making millions.. remember you must have quality very high one
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Onegai(f): 1:03am On Jun 25, 2015
laudate:

What you have advocated here is a fairytale.

There is no way local industries will be able to compete effectively against imported textiles. What is the labour cost in China? Haven't you heard of 'dumping' in international trade?? shocked shocked

The paper industry is still in dire straits as we speak. Every time the price of paper jumps up in the international market, the price of local paper here, becomes prohibitive.

Nothing stops Nigeria from being another China (you don't have expensive labour here, you have unskilled and unmotivated labour). And you overestimate the Chinese: they are a juggernaut when it comes to manufacturing but the average consumer in most countries around the world will prefer to buy a non-Chinese product if they have a bit more disposable income. The American Cotton Industry realised this and packaged and lobbied appropriately, Africa on the other hand ran to China because it's cheaper (it's not necessarily the best quality, even in road construction, compare JB to CCECC or better yet, drive through Orile express and tell yourself "this was built in the last 3 years".

The average babe in Lagos will rather buy a made-in-Turkey outfit or even a 2nd hand European outfit than a brand-new Chinese one. Nigerian Govt has to tap into this and aggressively defend their industries (other countries do) and defend their citizen's right to ownership of big companies in the country.

In that same Asia which is quick to offer cheap manufacturing, they have policies to discourage long term ownership of most factories and plants. Their ToC will specify 25 years ownership to be transferred to a national afterwards. Nigeria should do the same, defend our local Textile industry by saying "sure you can invest but we give you 25 years to make your money and sell over 60% of the company to an indigene and 70% of your trained and skilled staff must be indigenes". Then pass policies to grant tax breaks to indigenous companies and publicise the Nigerian textile industry.

Not a fairytale, just bloodyminded hard work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by stpat1(m): 7:56am On Jun 25, 2015
kingsolex:
wow finally I hit FP and FTC superb. salute to baba God and thanks to the great moderators of this site. opeeee ooo.. mean while I pray God make me bigger than my enemies and make me better than the best.

Na wah o. At this your age? Person dey grow pass some things na. When no be say you be small pikin.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by lavatoz(f): 11:56am On Jun 25, 2015
francizy:

Are you replying that bigoted, tribalistic, hypocritical goon? Same mofos that were screaming that Buhari will create 1 million jobs per year are trying to justify the massacre of local products.. How do you intend to create jobs when you lift ban on importation of what local hands can produce? The evil these dudes are sowing will come back to hunt them. As a military head, he created senseless economic policies without weighing the repercussions. What was the effect? An economic disaster. [/b]Now he has come again. By the time he's done with Nigeria, na slave trade era we go fall into..
[b]
Haba! It won't reach that far? undecided
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by AlPeter: 12:44pm On Jun 25, 2015
shigoslim:

Trash it's clearly shows that u lack common basis economic analysis. If your government is desperately in need of revenue, lifting ban on importation is it the best solution to income generator ? If importation is higher than exportation what do u think it will result to ? Don't you think it's will definitely befall government revenue or income generation. We are talking of how government will boost our economy through diversification . If government encourage small scale industry and we start exporting to other country who will benefit most? Is'nt not Nigeria government....... Must we rely on importation ? Another setback forward change indeed Nigeria has enter one chance
worse than thrash

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by francizy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2015
lavatoz:

Haba! It won't reach that far? undecided

I only hope so because Buhari cannot be my bad luck now that I want to do something tangible with my time.. angry sad
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by laudate: 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Onegai:

Nothing stops Nigeria from being another China (you don't have expensive labour here, you have unskilled and unmotivated labour). And you overestimate the Chinese: they are a juggernaut when it comes to manufacturing but the average consumer in most countries around the world will prefer to buy a non-Chinese product if they have a bit more disposable income. The American Cotton Industry realised this and packaged and lobbied appropriately, Africa on the other hand ran to China because it's cheaper (it's not necessarily the best quality, even in road construction, compare JB to CCECC or better yet, drive through Orile express and tell yourself "this was built in the last 3 years".

The average babe in Lagos will rather buy a made-in-Turkey outfit or even a 2nd hand European outfit than a brand-new Chinese one. Nigerian Govt has to tap into this and aggressively defend their industries (other countries do) and defend their citizen's right to ownership of big companies in the country.

In that same Asia which is quick to offer cheap manufacturing, they have policies to discourage long term ownership of most factories and plants. Their ToC will specify 25 years ownership to be transferred to a national afterwards. Nigeria should do the same, defend our local Textile industry by saying "sure you can invest but we give you 25 years to make your money and sell over 60% of the company to an indigene and 70% of your trained and skilled staff must be indigenes". Then pass policies to grant tax breaks to indigenous companies and publicise the Nigerian textile industry.

Not a fairytale, just bloodyminded hard work.

Bros, all you are still advocating here is a bloody fairytale. angry

Did China open up their economy to all kinds of imports, before they became a force to be reckoned with in the manufacturing world? No. They shut their doors to a lot of things (due to Communism in the early days) and worked underground to get things right. They even stole technology wherever they could find it, and replicated it on their shores.

There are a large number of American and European firms doing off-shore contracting and manufacturing through Chinese based firms. All they do, is hand down their quality standards to the Chinese manufacturers and insist that they meet it.

India did the same thing several years ago. They banned several products and insisted their own people must manufacture only what they could use. They took up the challenge and did so. Today, they have refined a lot of their products and are even exporting it.

Yes, a number of people prefer made in Turkey or US. But if you actually look carefully at the label on that US or European product, you would find components of it that have been made in China and other places. sad

I have worked for a couple of multinationals in different countries and I can tell you one thing for a fact. People will always do business in an area where they have competitive advantage, and no country throws open its borders to all and sundry, in any area where they know their home-grown industries would be adversely affected by such imports.

Do your research. Am out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Picture Of Emeka Ojukwu As A Rugby Player In Epsom College / Army Promotes Warrant Officer, Garba Abdullahi To Captain (Photo) / Adamawa Governorship Election Inconclusive – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.