Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles (29543 Views)

Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land / Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. / Federal Government Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture, Textiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by coldFLARES1(m): 11:06am On Jun 24, 2015
OLADD:

Why are you speaking from both sides of your mouth instead of calling a spade by its name? One of Buhari's cardinal points during his campaigns was to revive the moribund textile industry. He specifically mentioned the comatose Kaduna textile industry. Why the sudden policy Summersault? Let's stop commenting like the average Nigerian politician.
Because i do not draw salaries from defending govt, i try always to attempt a rational analysis. First, this is one action aimed at regional cooperation and integration and is thus welcome. PMB should be the one to bother more about his campaign promises as our duty mainly is to develop a tracker with appropriate checklist to evaluate his fidelity. But whichever way you look at it, if extant conditions are improved; moribund factories revamped and yet they fail the test of competitive pricing, quality and acceptance, then they shall die a second death.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 11:15am On Jun 24, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Oh, it's only within ECOWAS states?
yes ,it is a regional agenda agreed upon by the 15member states.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 24, 2015
calebo101:
God forbid. Bad news and policies just dey follow Buhari up and down.

So what will now happen to our local businesses? Fold up? Soon the dullard will reverse the policies on the auto industries and chase away automobile companies setting up base in Nigeria.

Welcome to 1980s Nigeria.

It's the Change my people prefer o!
Kai.
Back to square one!

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by iamord(m): 11:29am On Jun 24, 2015
onatisi:
this new policy is a regional one for ecowas member states , which means u can import textiles from ghana,benin and niger and as well export to those countries . The bottom line is , some companies may decide to establish in the region but they will choose the safest and most business friendly enviroment to do that.
the ecowas market is very big. We need to drop our egos and explore it. The returns that can be made are more than the loans being collected from world powers and world Bank who will end up caging the region

3 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Panter215: 11:43am On Jun 24, 2015
atlwireles:
So all the textiles mills, where billions were borrowed from the bank of industry to revive them, will now go to sleep again. By the way, how was this ban lifted? No minister or FEC meeting. Are we now running a one man executive?

Tomorrow APC almajiris will come here and complain about tooth picks, you are about to kill thousands of jobs. angry angry angry
let's stop thinking like we are in the 60s. Do you know that there are other business that will grow with this move? Which industry produce cloths in Dubai? How many of our boys and girls living our shores to sell cloths there?
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 11:53am On Jun 24, 2015
iamord:
the ecowas market is very big. We need to drop out egos and explore it. The returns that can be made can are more than the loans being collected from world powers and world Bank who will end up caging the region
the truth is ,this new policy won't favour nigeria ,it will destroy a lot of things . One,there is no conducive environment in nigeria for investors to setup manufacturing companies. 2,we have inconsistent govt policies ,a classical example is this one . 3,security concerns. What will eventually happens is the ,nigeria will become the dumping ground for all sort of rubbish goods and these foreign companies will use the west african countries as a transit route for their goods into the nigeria market. The money govt will be making through tax and etc will be negligible to the amount of capital flight out of nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 11:59am On Jun 24, 2015
Panter215:

let's stop thinking like we are in the 60s. Do you know that there are other business that will grow with this move? Which industry produce cloths in Dubai? How many of our boys and girls living our shores to sell cloths there?
stop comparing dubai to nigeria,that is a lazy approach to issues. Dubai does not have the kind of weather and natural resources that we have. If dubai have the kind of land,human resources and weather that we have ,they won't be importing 90% of the goods there now. We have everything in nigeria to produce everything and yes I mean everything. So why can't we do it. I was in india in the 80s and I saw how rajiv ghandi made sure indians produce. Infact no point arguing here.

3 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by lomprico(m): 12:13pm On Jun 24, 2015
Blackfire:

no, the ban was on condom
Grow brain!
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Blackfire(m): 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2015
lomprico:
Grow brain!
awon aye gba ping pong lori re
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by slyopez(m): 12:26pm On Jun 24, 2015
Is okrika (fairly used clothes) included in the textile that the ban is lifted?
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Mordyb: 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
Its official buhari thinks of new ways to run down this country. Buhari with all due respect stop acting stupid and help salvage the alleged mess this country is going through

Even primary school students know this is a bad move as jobs will be lost. Decrease in GDP , flooding of the market with substandard Goods
Did Buhari even go to school

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Adesiji77: 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
To what end? How will this policy develop the local industries?

The irony of this is that traders have been importing textiles and furniture from China, Vietnam, Burma, etc before now, so this is more like an open endorsement.

This is one country where you can just wake up and become an instant billionaire by virtue of government policies.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Mordyb: 12:41pm On Jun 24, 2015
onatisi:
the truth is ,this new policy won't favour nigeria ,it will destroy a lot of things . One,there is no conducive environment in nigeria for investors to setup manufacturing companies. 2,we have inconsistent govt policies ,a classical example is this one . 3,security concerns. What will eventually happens is the ,nigeria will become the dumping ground for all sort of rubbish goods and these foreign companies will use the west african countries as a transit route for their goods into the nigeria market. The money govt will be making through tax and etc will be negligible to the amount of capital flight out of nigeria.
Even if the Tax should be stupendous that only quality goods come and more revenue for the Government
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by atlwireles: 12:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
Panter215:

You have no clue, your comment says it all.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 12:47pm On Jun 24, 2015
Mordyb:
Even if the Tax should be stupendous that only quality goods come and more revenue for the Government
there is nothing about quality in this new policy. This policy will benefit smaller markets in west africa but not nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 12:50pm On Jun 24, 2015
Mordyb:
Its official buhari thinks of new ways to run down this country. Buhari with all due respect stop acting stupid and help salvage the alleged mess this country is going through

Even primary school students know this is a bad move as jobs will be lost. Decrease in GDP , flooding of the market with substandard Goods
Did Buhari even go to school
this is one of the policies gej didn't allow and kept blocking but ppl kept shouting change change . Now nigerians go hear am wella for dis 4yrs grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by atlwireles: 12:51pm On Jun 24, 2015
iamord:
the ecowas market is very big. We need to drop out egos and explore it. The returns that can be made can are more than the loans being collected from world powers and world Bank who will end up caging the region

You mean the ECOWAS countries where textiles are dumped and repacked? There's nothing to explore here for Nigeria, not after we spent billions in the last 3 years refurbishing our old run down mills. Now you people want to close them down. angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Mordyb: 12:51pm On Jun 24, 2015
onatisi:
there is nothing about quality in this new policy. This policy will benefit smaller markets in west africa but not nigeria.
I am saying this just in case they want to earn money by this if not it is rubbish
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by onatisi(m): 12:57pm On Jun 24, 2015
Mordyb:
I am saying this just in case they want to earn money by this if not it is rubbish
our leaders don't think like that and besides that plan of urs will be difficult to implement,because the nation itself doesn't have a funtional and efficient texitile industry to use as comparison .nigeria govt shouldn't agree to any treaty that negates the interest of the nation. But this feeling of africa big brother and co always makes our leaders ignore the national interest angle .

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by porshuch: 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2015
INTROVERT:
Isn't it killing the local market.? undecided
local market that refused to grow, they even use fake material. they should also lift ban on okrika cloths.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by lavatoz(f): 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2015
With this move does Buhari think he can boost economic growth? Moreover, he's yet to appoint ministers, does he think he can go it alone in this gov't? The "superpowers" must be rejoicing they've found a new puppet leader from Africa. undecided

2 Likes

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Superman11(m): 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2015
Maxymilliano:
Lifting of ban on textile, others will be tragic for local industries, what the government should focus on is how to revive the wobbling industries ...

they should make the textile and furniture industries functional before lifting the ban.. it will only cause more chaos..
They should know better , except they don't

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Tex42(m): 1:51pm On Jun 24, 2015
AT this time when Naira is at the mercy of dollar, our govt still encourages importation.

Lets see how $1 = N1 would become a reality.

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by obailala(m): 2:38pm On Jun 24, 2015
shigoslim:

u see yo life. Which one is more corrupt in importation and exportation ? If u can answer it on your own goodluck but vise visa don't quote me again.
I believe I was very explicit in my explanation and I clearly specified the corruption I was referring to. If you cannot understand my simple and clear explanations, then I'm afraid I cannot help you... Enjoy
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by TheFreeOne: 4:57pm On Jun 24, 2015
onatisi:

The policy is akin to opening a back-channel for contrabands from neighbouring countries.

How will our local industries grow if the govt thinks its an avenue to generate revenue? I hope the FG have analysed its effect on the long run

1 Like

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Onegai(f): 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2015
liberty300:
yes, I do. I wear a lot of traditional attire bought from the local markets and tailored by local tailors..thanks

Actually you probably don't. I purchased some of those bubu tops and dresses usually sold on Akerele street (Surulere) and to my surprise, found out they were all imported. Ankara and lace is imported, only Nichem Wax is produced in Nigeria. So unless you're wearing Nichem, Aso-eke and Tie-And-Dye constantly, you, like everyone else in Nigeria, is wardrobed in 70% imported fabrics. Every designer on the fashion scene is going to a China to produce or manufacture textiles.

There was excessive corruption in Customs over this matter. Let them lift the ban, pour money into the Textile Industries (especially in Kano, the SW and SS cotton) and then gradually phase out imports.

Our Textiles and Furniture cannot compete with the imported stuff, last year I couldn't find a buyer for local Leather goods (no quality control, high costs). Lifting this ban will hurt the industry but the industry needs to sit up and modernise and enforce quality control. The assumption that Nigerians will choose cheap imports over quality local isn't always true. And with the Naira in a free-fall...

The best thing Fed Govt and State Govt can do is fix the infrastructure and encourage Nigerians to invest in them. And make it more viable to sell Made-in-Nigeria

Same thing happened with Paper: the output of quality from our local paper mills reduced, almost all paper on the market is imported, Customs turned a blind eye to it and paper manufacturers whined about losing business instead of thinking of strategies to improve their product and challenge the imported stuff. Then everyone blamed govt (as if they are not part of the problem).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Onegai(f): 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2015
Superman11:

they should make the textile and furniture industries functional before lifting the ban.. it will only cause more chaos..
They should know better , except they don't

The Furniture industry is improving: woodworking factories are being set up and run more efficiently... by the Chinese and Italians. People are patronising them and leaving the headache of buying from a local carpenter in the past. Instead of the local carpenter to see what he can do to compete, he sits on his butt and whines that he is losing business. It's the same thing happening to tailors (whose fault is that I want well-made clothes with minimum fuss and you cannot deliver? )

Everyone should stop waiting on the govt. I could help set up and shape their business for them using only private willing investors (but they will refuse to pay me, attempt to cheat me, look for ways to exploit me, then cry piteously at the end of the day that there is no profit).

Nigeria's Business Mentality is one of the worst in the world. Doing business in this country is a nightmare, so with the lifting of the ban, I'd rather go through a more sane, honest West African country and get my profits than attempt to be loyal or patriotic (when my fellow countrymen will punish me for that patriotism).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 24, 2015
989900:
It's not the best decision, but better the funds coming in into gov't coffers, than custom officers wallet.

It's hard to enforce the ban 'cause of our neighbors.

The onus is on the gov't to vigorously support our own local textile industry, to make importation of some of those material less desirable.

Hell, even make it enticing to invite those Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Swiss, and other manufacturers here.

China, Vietnam and some other countries, are doing the same to American manufacturers and others.

The Daurarian only knows Cattle o!

We've been talking this since o!
All those efforts of the last 8years, gone? Just like that?

I wanna weep aand shoot some people! Lord!
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by grandstar(m): 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2015
35% is still too high

CET is a protectionist haven

The average import duty in America is 4.9% while in the EU its about 7%

And again, CET is a small market- less than a trillion dollars. America's economy alone is over $13 trillions.

The only benefit is that people can not smuggle from Benin into Nigeria as it is harmonised.
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by denisbath(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2015
u people are just deceiving urself,since d days of obj when he banned these textiles and furniture til now.where is the outcome and evidence to show dat our local industries are improving.now the FG has lifted ban on textile is the best time for local industries to improve because foreign investors wil invest in our country and the local industries wil improve through them
Re: FG Lifts Ban On Importation Of Furniture , Textiles by laudate: 7:58pm On Jun 24, 2015
Onegai:

Actually you probably don't. I purchased some of those bubu tops and dresses usually sold on Akerele street (Surulere) and to my surprise, found out they were all imported. Ankara and lace is imported, only Nichem Wax is produced in Nigeria. So unless you're wearing Nichem, Aso-eke and Tie-And-Dye constantly, you, like everyone else in Nigeria, is wardrobed in 70% imported fabrics. Every designer on the fashion scene is going to a China to produce or manufacture textiles.

There was excessive corruption in Customs over this matter. Let them lift the ban, pour money into the Textile Industries (especially in Kano, the SW and SS cotton) and then gradually phase out imports.

Our Textiles and Furniture cannot compete with the imported stuff, last year I couldn't find a buyer for local Leather goods (no quality control, high costs). Lifting this ban will hurt the industry but the industry needs to sit up and modernise and enforce quality control. The assumption that Nigerians will choose cheap imports over quality local isn't always true. And with the Naira in a free-fall...

The best thing Fed Govt and State Govt can do is fix the infrastructure and encourage Nigerians to invest in them. And make it more viable to sell Made-in-Nigeria

Same thing happened with Paper: the output of quality from our local paper mills reduced, almost all paper on the market is imported, Customs turned a blind eye to it and paper manufacturers whined about losing business instead of thinking of strategies to improve their product and challenge the imported stuff. Then everyone blamed govt (as if they are not part of the problem).

What you have advocated here is a fairytale.

There is no way local industries will be able to compete effectively against imported textiles. What is the labour cost in China? Haven't you heard of 'dumping' in international trade?? shocked shocked

The paper industry is still in dire straits as we speak. Every time the price of paper jumps up in the international market, the price of local paper here, becomes prohibitive.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Moment Buhari Announced Suspension Of CJN Walter Onnoghen / Picture Of Emeka Ojukwu As A Rugby Player In Epsom College / Army Promotes Warrant Officer, Garba Abdullahi To Captain (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.