Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? (844 Views)

How To Be A Male Hair Stylist In Nigeria / 6 Skills Every Job Seeker And Professional MUST Have / See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by brainnny(m): 1:01am On Jun 24, 2015
Good morning Nairalanders, I would like to have your opinions concerning this. A consensus was reached on changing the family’s surname to dad’s first name. An oath was sworn to in court to this effect but not yet published in the dailies. Pondering on this issue now, the question is can this pose a threat to me as a corps member while seeking for a job?
Helpful Inputs from H.R personnel, job seekers, Career counsellors etc. will be greatly appreciated.
CC: Tanimola22, Jarus, Yemmight, Lalasticlala, Ishilove

2 Likes

Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by Jarus(m): 8:08am On Jun 24, 2015
You may go through the inconvenience of having to explain to recruiters who look at your credentials in the course of hiring (some may suspect you had a criminal record, some may suspect you are attempting to use someone else's credentials), but I don't think it should pose serious challenge once you do newspaper change of name.

If you have a credential that shows your picture (e.g WAEC certificate from 2000), it may also make your case easy.
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by debbie(f): 12:20pm On Jun 24, 2015
The effects will surely be huge.Recruiters and the general public can easily identify with any change of name by a female applicant on the basis of marriage.But like Jarus said,you need to explain your reasons.Mind you some people will not accept it.....get ready to deal with it.

Always have a copy of the court oath that was taken as a reference.It wont be easy i tell you,because Nigerians have abused the oath and affidavits sworn in courts.
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by brainnny(m): 1:19pm On Jun 24, 2015
Waow! this is looking more serious than i thought.
@Jarus and debbie, i really appreciate your contributions, God bless. Do you then think i can reverse back to my previous surname for now till i get over the hassles of job seeking and getting a solid footing in my career path ? Inputs from other members are also welcomed.
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by debbie(f): 2:29pm On Jun 24, 2015
Who goes to the court to reverse a sworn oath? cheesy
brainnny:
Waow! this is looking more serious than i thought.
@Jarus and debbie, i really appreciate your contributions, God bless. Do you then think i can reverse back to my previous surname for now till i get over the hassles of job seeking and getting a solid footing in my career path ? Inputs from other members are also welcomed.
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by Jarus(m): 2:44pm On Jun 24, 2015
debbie:

lmao grin
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 24, 2015
debbie:

cheesy cheesy
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by whizqueen(f): 3:24pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: What Threat Can A Change In Surname Pose To A Male Job Seeker ? by brainnny(m): 5:02pm On Jun 24, 2015
debbie:
Sounds funny though, but when issues like this surface no potential option would sound ridiculous for the affected person to consider you know.
What i actually meant was if it is possible to continue with my previous surname since i haven't published it in the dailies neither have i used it on any of my credentials.
Do you get what i mean ?

Thanks for the contributions though and looking forward to more.

(1) (Reply)

St Eve West Africa Fashion Week: Invest #5,000 reap #500,000 / Vacancy Vacancy!!!! / Gcch Is A Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.