Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (61232 Views)

Oba Of Benin Reacts To Attack On Octogenarian In Benin Palace, Heads To Asorock / Dangote, Ooni Ogunwusi, Oyegun At Oba Of Benin's Coronation / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 9:08am On Jun 28, 2015
macof:

Actually you are mixing things. .. this Oduduwa is not same as the oduduwa that became king
The king came with 400 people not dieties

The oduduwa that came from heaven came to set the formation of the world, brought existence to this part of the universe. ....this bit is cosmology not history

401 deities are what we worship in Yorubaland but it has nothing to do with the Olufe's coming
i stand corrected.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Deejavuu(f): 4:12pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:
according to the bini account yoruba and bini are brothers.

There is a story of how it is.

In the olden days the bini kingdom was called igodo or igodomigodo, the ruler was not called Oba, he was called ogiso, he was believed to be a descendant of the gods and had power over his subject, the line of ogisos is very long, but the last ogiso wasn't blessed with many sons, he had just one son. I think his name was Elekederan(i'm not sure I got it correctly), anyway the other wife of the ogiso claimed the oracle said the prince must be banished. Without much ado he was banish, he left the city in the company of some "izebus", after some years of jorneying he landed in present day Ife and change his name to "Imazodu'wa", i.e "i didn't miss the path of properity", (which was later corrupted to "oduduwa"wink there he was famed for his tradition powers, his healing and his spiritual prowess. The soon became king taking the traditional title Oba.

Back home his father had died and Evian a member of the royal family was acting as regent to the throne, Evian wanted his family to be recognised as the rulers of igodo and the chiefs disagreed and sent an expendition for the prince. When they got to Ife they were welcomed, they stated their mission and after a test which they passed oduduwa told them that he couldn't go back with them since he was old and he had already established a kingdom in Ife, he gave them his son "Omonoyan" (now corrupted as Oranmiyan) to take his place.

When Oranmiyan arrived he met serious problems, the children of Evian refused to vacate the throne they said, Ogiame amioba (we have ogie, not Obas) refering to the fact that oranmiyan wasn't grounded in the bini customs and was pretty much ignorant of the bini ways. Oranmiyan was very angry as he wasn't even allowed into the ogiso palace he was living in the outskirt of the city. He named the City Ile Ibinu (land of vexation) later called Ibinu and corrupted to bini. Not long after oranmiyan decided to leave bini becos he believe only someone who understood the custom can lead the people. On his way out he stayed in Ehor and took the daughter of the chief there as his own, not before long she was pregnant and gave birth to a son, d was later called Eweka from his first uterance (owomika). That is how bini rulers started to be called Oba. The line of Evian d "ogiame" suvives till this day.

Oranmiyan went back to Oyo in anger, oduduwa promised him Ife, he went and established the Oyo kingdom and later came back to take Ife throne.

That is how yorubas and binis relate through oduduwa and oranmiyan. The binis were never answerable to th Ooni or any other Oba.

Ofcus the yorubas disagree with this account they believe oduduwa jumped down from heaven with a rope or maybe came from Egypt.

Ife also claims to have the heads of the Obas, I don't know how true that is, but it is possible, d bini obas also considered Ife as home since it was established by their father oduduwa. If that tradition ever existed then it is no longer followed.

If you really want to enjoy bini history then you should discuss a little with Areafada.

Wow! Very impressive. Thumbs up cool

Btw, the emboldened in your post is - Ekaladeran wink smiley
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 5:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
Deejavuu:

Wow! Very impressive. Thumbs up cool

Btw, the emboldened in your post is - Ekaladeran wink smiley

thank you!

The name kept escaping me, when I got it at last i was too lazy to modify my post.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Deejavuu(f): 5:51pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:

thank you!

The name kept escaping me, when I got it at last i was too lazy to modify my post.

You're welcome!

Lol. Are you from Edo-state?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 1:53am On Jun 29, 2015
Deejavuu:

You're welcome!
Lol. Are you from Edo-state?
not exactly...
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by angelberton(f): 10:17pm On Jul 21, 2015
GooseBaba:

And who termed them the heart of darkness...?

Update your history lesson
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tpiadotcom: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
tonychristopher:

Does that make sense to you

why is it your concern?

does your village have no history you can relate in public?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tpiadotcom: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
angelberton:
Come on, this is space age and one wonders where that ancient beliefs have led Africa?

Is that why Africa is called the heart of darkness?

because it has dark skinned people.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by angelberton(f): 11:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
tpiadotcom:

because it has dark skinned people.

No! It is because Africa is uncivilized. They are full of taboos and primitive beliefs. They worship iroko trees, they are afraid of streams, mountains, evil forests etc, apart from human sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 6:16am On Jul 22, 2015
tpiadotcom:

why is it your concern?

does your village have no history you can relate in public?

why taking pride in history which is past even a puppy Haas history

Yoruba writes the history of Benin we know that and dontt lie
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by DukeNija(m): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2015
angelberton:

No! It is because Africa is uncivilized. They are full of taboos and primitive beliefs. They worship iroko trees, they are afraid of streams, mountains, evil forests etc, apart from human sacrifice.

Spot on. +10000
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by GooseBaba: 3:43pm On Jul 23, 2015
angelberton:

Update your history lesson

Took you this long to reply and this is the rubbish you have to say... I suggest you take your own advice.

If you KNOW your history, you would realize that only ignorant folks /africans use that word to describe the african continent and it's people. I will pardon you for your ignorance.. undecided

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by GooseBaba: 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2015
angelberton:

And there you have it...!!! you are talking about african history according to the writings of classical european historians. I asked you, who termed them that name..?

If the rubbish you wrote about africans is primitive. Kindly tell me the difference from worshipping iroko trees and worshipping a crucifix or a statue or worshipping a stone in mecca and throwing stones at a devil. Or calling on the name of 2000 yrs old corpse as a lord and personal saviour.

Go study your history from an african perspective and stop regurgitating classical european rubbish about africans. When they too still hold their "primitive " beliefs close to their heart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 11:33pm On Jul 23, 2015
angelberton:

Rants of a deranged and lost black woman

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by angelberton(f): 9:38am On Aug 02, 2015
macof:

Rants of a deranged and lost black woman

Gutter-muck, you are depraved with grubby mouth!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Iwiskayode: 4:26pm On Aug 13, 2018
Oga you think a well educated, rational well adjusted Benin man would just hold those traditions to a lofty esteem if it's not efficacious?
Go there and form western bound man and watch how 200 year old spirit will descend on ya���

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.