Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,669 members, 7,847,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 05:46 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (197) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547400 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 1:27pm On Feb 26, 2011
superbrain,not yet, been on google the best part of this morning searching for schools and their requirements, um,if its going to be too much stress,guess i'll have to kill the idea, business/computer related courses that'll fly with the consulars,plesae, still plan to switch to nursing o,
thanks.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 2:49pm On Feb 26, 2011
@ herself, Have you taken the SAT? If so, try the links below to see if you can get a direct admit to the following nursing programs:

1. Jacksonville University, Florida- http://www.ju.edu/2894_3095.aspx

2. Illinois State University, Illinois- http://mcn.illinoisstate.edu/undergraduate/prelicensure/admission_requirements.shtml

3. MaryMount University, Virginia- http://www.marymount.edu/academics/programs/nursingBSN/programReq.aspx

4. University of Delaware, Delaware- http://www.udel.edu/nursing/undergraduates/traditional.html

5. University of South Carolina, SC- http://www.sc.edu/nursing/student/ugradprograminfo.html

6. University of Portland, Oregon- http://nursing.up.edu/default.aspx?cid=3489&pid=206

7. University of Arizona- http://catalog.arizona.edu/geninfo/college/984/NUH.html

8. University of Buffalo, SUNY- http://nursing.buffalo.edu/Academics/Undergraduate/BasicProgram/Admissions.aspx

Most of the above schools require that you do a pre-nursing program (often called early year) which is for one year before you are eligible to start taking nursing courses. I think you should go for one of these. Remember you need to satisfy the pre-requisites (anatomy, physiology, etc) before entering into a nursing program so opting for just any course might not work.

By the way, what are your findings on the neuroscience thing?

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 4:11pm On Feb 26, 2011
My AP Still keep Me Praying for now. . . . . Wishing The Fall Applicant Best Of Luck
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 7:31pm On Feb 26, 2011
I can't believe I have not visited this forum in the last 3-4 months. Well, that's life sha. When u conquer one river there is always another one waiting for u. Kudos to those keeping the fire burning. This is absolutely the best and easiest forum to get any info on student visas to Yankee.
Hoping to see more Nairalanders here.
Remember to go to the embassy with Your Mouth, Your Confidence, and Your God. Even if u forget your documents, never forget any of those 3. They count more than your bank statement.
When u get the visa (which u will surely get by His Grace), carry your thick blanket with u. The snow no dey gree go ooo, lolz
Wishing all applicants the best of luck.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 7:45pm On Feb 26, 2011
arshy:

I can't believe I have not visited this forum in the last 3-4 months. Well, that's life sha. When u conquer one river there is always another one waiting for u. Kudos to those keeping the fire burning. This is absolutely the best and easiest forum to get any info on student visas to Yankee.
Hoping to see more Nairalanders here.
Remember to go to the embassy with Your Mouth, Your Confidence, and Your God. Even if u forget your documents, never forget any of those 3. They count more than your bank statement.
When u get the visa (which u will surely get by His Grace), carry your thick blanket with u. The snow no dey gree go ooo, lolz
Wishing all applicants the best of luck.

Well spoken bruv. I'm all smiles smiley smiley smiley. Been a very long while. Can we chat on YIM? Send me an email: superbrainnl at gmail.com
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 7:53pm On Feb 26, 2011
superbrain,i haven't taken the SAT, won't be able to cos of time frame, if i was looking at spring,that would have been good but am not,so, was able to get some schools that require just toefl for international students but it's either the deadline's passed or i'll have to make two applications, one to the school and after or rather if i get admitted,another to the school of nursing, that requires time which i don't have.
   i've registered for my toefl exam and am writing next month but the four slots i have to fill in my schools and their toefl code is blank, i really should hasten in my research and make quick decisions if i intend going in for fall,
   the neuroscience thing might not be as easy as i thought, i just figured if it'll give me problems during the course of my application and at the embassy,it's best if i just bone it,
    looking for computer/business related courses as i was advised here, can you help me with that?suggestions?schools?informative websites?, appreciate the time and effort it took you to send those schools and reply my questions,
  thanks.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2011
herself, suggest you take the TOEFL and SAT you can send the result to the schools after you have the results, extra cost though but will save you time.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2011
Nursing is highly competitive without international students. On the average you need to start preparing for admission 12 to 18 months ahead of time as international student. It could be shorter but that is the estimated time frame.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 8:03pm On Feb 26, 2011
Superbrain:

Well spoken bruv. I'm all smiles smiley smiley smiley. Been a very long while. Can we chat on YIM? Send me an email: superbrainnl at gmail.com
I just sent u a mail, but I don't use yahoo messenger. I can't remember the last time I opened it. It seems its outdated.

@herself,
I will advice u enter with Biological Sciences, then cross to Nursing in your 3rd year. Reason being that 1) Nursing is too expensive and there is no scholarship for it because they know u are going to get a job after graduation.  2) It is very difficult to get admitted into Nursing schools (even though it is expensive, people still rush into it).
The classes u will take in your first 2 or 3 years in Biological sciences is the same thing as Nursing. As a matter of fact, nobody is able to differentiate between a Nursing student and a Biological Student until the 3rd year.
Just a piece of advice anywayz. Best of luck
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2011
anfanio,i can't write SAT, not if i intend to be in by fall, not with most of the school's deadlines, my mistake's not starting way before now, i realise that and am ready to apply for a different course and hopefully change when i get there,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2011
thanks,arshy,biological science, will check that out, in the mean time,can you recommend any school(s) that i can do the biological science and make the switch without too much stress? thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2011
You can change if money and time are not issues to you.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:17pm On Feb 26, 2011
herself, what state do yu have in mind or where you have relatives and friends?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 8:24pm On Feb 26, 2011
anfanio:

herself, what state do yu have in mind or where you have relatives and friends?

A very good question
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 8:42pm On Feb 26, 2011
have family in texas but don't want to be there, heard tennessee,oklahoma is relatively cheap, not really particular so long its not outrageously expensive,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:44pm On Feb 26, 2011
Ok, few minutes
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
I have a list of over 300 universities and colleges, send me an email and I'll drop the list in your mail. Nairaland system thinks its junk mail.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2011
did u get it,anfanio?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2011
Here is a short list:

Southwestern Oklahoma State University Weatherford, Oklahoma
Southwestern University Georgetown, Texas
Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology Tulsa, Oklahoma
St. Edward's University Austin, Texas
St. Gregory's University Shawnee, Oklahoma
St. Mary's University San Antonio, Texas
St. Philip's College San Antonio, Texas
Stephen F. Austin State University Nacogdoches, Texas
Sul Ross State University Alpine, Texas
Tarleton State University Stephenville, Texas
Tarrant County College Fort Worth, Texas
Temple College Temple, Texas
Tennessee State University Nashville, Tennessee
Tennessee Technological University Cookeville, Tennessee
Tennessee Temple University Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tennessee Wesleyan College Athens, Tennessee
Texarkana College Texarkana, Texas
Texas A&M International University Laredo, Texas
Texas A&M University College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University-Baylor College of Dentistry Dallas, Texas
Texas A&M University-Commerce Commerce, Texas
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Corpus Chri
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 8:57pm On Feb 26, 2011
herself:

superbrain,i haven't taken the SAT, won't be able to cos of time frame, if i was looking at spring,that would have been good but am not,so, was able to get some schools that require just toefl for international students but it's either the deadline's passed or i'll have to make two applications, one to the school and after or rather if i get admitted,another to the school of nursing, that requires time which i don't have.
   i've registered for my toefl exam and am writing next month but the four slots i have to fill in my schools and their toefl code is blank, i really should hasten in my research and make quick decisions if i intend going in for fall,
   the neuroscience thing might not be as easy as i thought, i just figured if it'll give me problems during the course of my application and at the embassy,it's best if i just bone it,
    looking for computer/business related courses as i was advised here, can you help me with that?suggestions?schools?informative websites?, appreciate the time and effort it took you to send those schools and reply my questions,
  thanks.

If you go for a computer/business related course, then you may not be able to satisfy the prerequisites needed for a nursing program. Anyway, here are a few links for you. They are also cheap schools.

1. Minnesota State University, Moorhead (CS/CIS): http://www.mnstate.edu/comcis/prospective.cfm

2. California State University, Northridge (Computer Science): http://www.csun.edu/anr/intl/apply/intlapplyftf.html

3. Minnesota State University, Mankato (CS): http://www.mnsu.edu/admissions/international/application/requirements.html

4. Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff (CS): http://home.nau.edu/admissions/apply/admissreq.asp

5. University of Iowa (CS): http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/ProspectiveStudents/index.html

6. University of North Texas (CS): http://www.unt.edu/majors/ucsci.htm

From the six schools above, 2, 3 and 6 are good picks. If you'll end up with a degree in CS, then CSUN is a good choice since it is close to Silicon Valley (lots of tech and computer related stuff take place here).

Arshy and Anfanio are also right. If it must be Nursing, then go for a Biological Science course and this would enable you meet the requirements for a nursing program. All the best.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 9:04pm On Feb 26, 2011
thanks a lot,superbrain, will go through the schools and let you know how it goes, was wondering if i could get a list of cheap but good schools if i have to go through the biological science route, ? either ways,am going to have to go with either of them, thanks again.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 9:07pm On Feb 26, 2011
herself, check your mail.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 10:00pm On Feb 26, 2011
herself:

thanks a lot,superbrain, will go through the schools and let you know how it goes, was wondering if i could get a list of cheap but good schools if i have to go through the biological science route, ? either ways,am going to have to go with either of them, thanks again.

If u are think about cheap schools and easy economy, I will suggest u focus on schools in Northwestern States like Oregon, Idaho, Washington (not the DC, there are two Washington), Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. There are cheap schools there and the living expenses is appreciably okay compare to the Eastern States (Chicago, New York, Maryland and the likes). I can confidently beat my chest that all Universities in the US meet the minimum standard. That means, you don't have to worry about the quality of education u will get (even though it is always good to go to the top schools if u have your way).
Tennessee and Oklahoma states are also ok for new comers to begin with. When u find your feet, u can move to any States of your choice (afterall, your visa cover for all of that, lolz).
One beautiful thing about those states is that there is little or no competition compare to the Eastern states.
The choice is all yours! Best of luck
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 10:04pm On Feb 26, 2011
All the options given by Superbrain are good as well, but becareful with Arizona because of their new immigration law.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by denio215(m): 9:58am On Feb 28, 2011
hi friends in the house, i'm an intending fall 2011 student, i've submitted my ds-160 online application form, but after the submission i now discovered that i never included the tertiary institutions i've attended in the submitted form, friends kindly advise me, can i fill another ds-160 online application form in order to rectify this omission or can this implicate me?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2011
denio215:

hi friends in the house, i'm an intending fall 2011 student, i've submitted my ds-160 online application form, but after the submission i now discovered that i never included the tertiary institutions i've attended in the submitted form, friends kindly advise me, can i fill another ds-160 online application form in order to rectify this omission or can this implicate me?

Simply fill another one. You can fill and submit as many as u want, it is the one u take to the embassy that the Consular will run on his/her computer but be careful sha.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by denio215(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ arshy, thanks for the response I will certainly do as u've advised, GOD BLESS
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 4:51am On Mar 01, 2011
herself:

you might also wanna take a look at the various options listed in this link\

http://www.howardcc.edu/academics/program_information/catalog/web/programs/healthsciences/

http://www.howardcc.edu/academics/program_information/catalog/web/programs/buco/index.html

http://www.howardcc.edu/admissions/pay/tuition_costs/index.html

http://www.howardcc.edu/admissions/pay/tuition_costs/tuition1011.html
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by herself(f): 9:28pm On Mar 01, 2011
first off,am grateful to everybody that's helped out. with advice,opinions,helpful sites and all. i really appreciate the help and thought. thanks a bunch.
the biological science angle is going ok but i've been getting brow raising tuiton fees for most of the schools and thats discouraging me. so,am thinking,maybe i should just focus my time and energy in to my school, (am a 1st year geology student in one of the federal universities), get good grades and eventually go for my masters. the stress of getting an ok school in yankee for fall is slowing taking its toll. cry,
would still appreciate whatever input you guys have o cos am still fairly undecided as it is, just thinking i need a break though my TOEFL exam is sometime this month, any advice will be welcome, to put a halt to it or to put in extra effort to get a grade 1 education at an exorbitant rate though despite it being really good,
thoughts and opinions are very much welcome, thanks.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 01, 2011
nice user id you got there.

wish i'd thought of it sooner.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2011
herself:

first off,am grateful to everybody that's helped out. with advice,opinions,helpful sites and all. i really appreciate the help and thought. thanks a bunch.
the biological science angle is going ok but i've been getting brow raising tuiton fees for most of the schools and thats discouraging me. so,am thinking,maybe i should just focus my time and energy in to my school, (am a 1st year geology student in one of the federal universities), get good grades and eventually go for my masters. the stress of getting an ok school in yankee for fall is slowing taking its toll. cry,
would still appreciate whatever input you guys have o cos am still fairly undecided as it is, just thinking i need a break though my TOEFL exam is sometime this month, any advice will be welcome, to put a halt to it or to put in extra effort to get a grade 1 education at an exorbitant rate though despite it being really good,
thoughts and opinions are very much welcome, thanks.
@ herself, why are you so particular about Nursing? Geology is one of the best courses in the world.Instead of wasting your time on Nursing which i doubt if you will be given admission as an intl student,why not apply into any schools in Texas or California for their Geology programme, California is noted because of its amazing geology (San Andreas faults,Earthquakes and Oil),It can also boast of a county which has the largest oil wells in all of the USA producing states (Kern County).Texas is no doubt the home of Petroleum Geology too cos there are alot of oil companies there.Studying in any of these states will afford you the opportunity of an internship during your course of study,infact,you could be retained there after.I know all these because i had my first degree in Geology in Nigeria and here for my Masters in Petroleum Geology in one of the California State Universities. You may wish to finish your degree in Geology first in Naija and come for Masters here later,and if you want to come here for a B.Sc,i will advise you consider Geology too. Geologists here are hot cakes too.Just my 2cents.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by johnkent(m): 5:51am On Mar 02, 2011
OjaP:

@ herself, why are you so particular about Nursing? Geology is one of the best courses in the world.Instead of wasting your time on Nursing which i doubt if you will be given admission as an intl student,why not apply into any schools in Texas or California for their Geology programme, California is noted because of its amazing geology (San Andreas faults,Earthquakes and Oil),It can also boast of a county which has the largest oil wells in all of the USA producing states (Kern County).Texas is no doubt the home of Petroleum Geology too cos there are alot of oil companies there.Studying in any of these states will afford you the opportunity of an internship during your course of study,infact,you could be retained there after.I know all these because i had my first degree in Geology in Nigeria and here for my Masters in Petroleum Geology in one of the California State Universities. You may wish to finish your degree in Geology first in Naija and come for Masters here later,and if you want to come here for a B.Sc,i will advise you consider Geology too. Geologists here are hot cakes too.Just my 2cents.

Didnt know Geologists existed. haha.j/k
I dont see any reason why he shouldnt go into nursing

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.